gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:45:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GIOMH-Promotional Copy?  (Read 1604 times)
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »

I recieved a cd copy of Gettin' In Over My Head in the mail today, and after opening the package and pulling out the cover, I noticed some gold-stamped words on the back:
"For promotional use only. Sale or other transfer is prohibited. Must be returned on demand of recording company."
I ordered it used from Amazon.
Does this mean that my copy of the album was a promotional copy sent out by record companies?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:16:31 PM »

Most likely. They're pretty common in used record stores -- not GIOMH specifically, but overall. I guess rock critics like to get ride of their review copies.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:47:07 PM »

I wonder if some dealers add those stickers/stamping a to standard issue CDs in an attempt to artificially inflate their perceived value to collectors?

We have some serious collectors within our community… anyone ever come across such a fake?

“We live in divisive times.”
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »

I wonder if some dealers add those stickers/stamping a to standard issue CDs in an attempt to artificially inflate their perceived value to collectors?

We have some serious collectors within our community… anyone ever come across such a fake?

Years ago when I was collecting I came across fakes quite often in that vain. You could tell because the promo's were usually given a different catalog number, or towards the 2000s were commonly included in a slipcase rather than jewelcase with the coverart and either a sticker or small sheet containing a condensed version of the press release. Universal used to (around this time - '95-'05) actually have a stamp-style 'PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY' label printed directly on to the disc as part of the disc's artwork (i.e. the non-playable surface of the disc). I used to avoid anything that didn't have something to specifically set it apart from the released version - so if all indicators that it were a promo were contained only on the jewel case (PROMO USE ONLY stickers or stamps) etc. I'd give them a pass.

Most CD promos don't go for very much anyway, although I'm sure there are exceptions. A recent one that springs to mind is GN'R's Chinese Democracy, what's known as the 'Red Hand' artwork. Something like 25 copies produced for what was evidently supposed to be a re-release/variant containing some quite intriguing in depth liner notes from Axl that were absent from the released version.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:22:59 PM by elnombre » Logged
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »

There are some other valuable promos as well.  Like, the Dixie Chicks' "Fly" (which actually has a song where the final version had a blank track in the middle of the disc - long story) and ICP's "The Amazing Jeckel Brothers" (which has an extra song).

No others I know of.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 12:32:40 AM »

I remember seeing dozens of copies of Orange Crate Art at used record stores with that same stamp. Tried to find one with no stamp...to no avail.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx