gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:27:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure Links  (Read 18230 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »

Buy the damn thing! Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »

Send me your record player Roll Eyes
Ah, forget it, shouldn't talk to trolls who repeat the same tish over and over (the troll cries uncover the trollfield). Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:13:34 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 09:06:07 AM »

If more new fans come along via passing the d/l links, I think it only benefits. None of those artists cares, that's for sure. They are all rich, at least you won't deny that? It's not stealing, once again, it's a new way of hearing music. If you don't get it, you may be stuck in the past, I'm afraid.

In other words, I'm with RDZ, who doesn't get this snobbery either.

Stuck in the past? No, it is you who are stuck with this feudal idea that people shouldn't pay for goods. Money makes the world go around Rangerover - if everyone stole this sh*t the artists would have ZERO incentive to continue creating art.

You don't need a record player to listen to music - as you said, there are online music stores that will gladly take your money. I work hard for my money, and I pay for 99% of the music I listen to. In a small way I'm helping keep these artists on the road, I'm helping them put a roof over their heads, I'm helping them create more art. If you're hard for cash I can totally understand the need to have a friend send you something over Sendspace (as long as you're willing to pay for the tracks when you get some extra money), but if you have the money, and actually care about the artists you listen to, you owe it to economics, modern civilization, to those who actually pay for the music, and the artists themselves to pay for the goods you use.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 09:13:23 AM »

So Brian's new record isn't worth $10 to you?
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »

If more new fans come along via passing the d/l links, I think it only benefits. None of those artists cares, that's for sure. They are all rich, at least you won't deny that? It's not stealing, once again, it's a new way of hearing music. If you don't get it, you may be stuck in the past, I'm afraid.

In other words, I'm with RDZ, who doesn't get this snobbery either.

Stuck in the past? No, it is you who are stuck with this feudal idea that people shouldn't pay for goods. Money makes the world go around Rangerover - if everyone stole this sh*t the artists would have ZERO incentive to continue creating art.

You don't need a record player to listen to music - as you said, there are online music stores that will gladly take your money. I work hard for my money, and I pay for 99% of the music I listen to. In a small way I'm helping keep these artists on the road, I'm helping them put a roof over their heads, I'm helping them create more art. If you're hard for cash I can totally understand the need to have a friend send you something over Sendspace (as long as you're willing to pay for the tracks when you get some extra money), but if you have the money, and actually care about the artists you listen to, you owe it to economics, modern civilization, to those who actually pay for the music, and the artists themselves to pay for the goods you use.

Thanks everyone for taking this one on.  I felt like I was alone out there insisting that this is theft.  As I recall, my comments on another thread were ignored.  If you can only play MP3's, well, you can most certainly buy them or at least convert the recordings you BUY to MP3's.  I don't care how rich an artist is, if you're enjoying their work, they deserve to be compensated.  Even if someone gives you a recording, you can still buy a copy of it and compensate the artist.  Do you steal stuff from the home of the rich person in your area because they have more money than you?  It's the same dam* thing!  Yes there are thieves with a lot of money.  Artists aren't those people.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:42 AM »

And the fact is lots of people nowadays try to find a website that doesn't require registration or paying money. It's been like that & will be. It's called "life-hacking". Sure, if I don't find a certain track, I 1st order to upload it, then if they still don't have it by then, will pay the money for.

Also, there is a freedom of choice, isn't there? No one should force anyone to do so and so & say that I "owe it to economics". Coz that's ridiculous. Why no one regulates it, then? Why no one officially states a law that it's totally wrong to get music for free? Then it's not stealing.

I sometimes wonder if someone else said the same thing, would you react this way? Nope. Double standards, ya know.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:08:59 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »

What do you do for a job, Rangey?

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »

And the fact is lots of people nowadays try to find a website that doesn't require registration or paying money. It's been like that & will be. It's called "life-hacking". Sure, if I don't find a certain track, I 1st order to upload it, then if they still don't have it by then, will pay the money for.

Also, there is a freedom of choice, isn't there? No one should force anyone to do so and so & say that I "owe it to economics". Coz that's ridiculous. Why no one regulates it, then? Why no one officially states a law that it's totally wrong to get music for free? Then it's not stealing.

I sometimes wonder if someone else said the same thing, would you react this way?

Anyhoo, "Runaway Dancer" rocks! Way to go, Brian. Hello from Russia. Wink

https://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?content_selector=piracy_online_the_law
http://www.riaa.com/faq.php

Some reading material for you.

Call it "life-hacking", call it whatever you want. For the rest of us who care about our economic system, it's called "stealing". These laws exist for a reason. Laws aside, it's just common sense to pay for the things you use.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 09:45:09 AM »

Do you steal stuff from the home of the rich person in your area because they have more money than you?  It's the same dam* thing!

Exactly.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 09:51:02 AM »

Laws don't apply to Russkis, just ask.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 09:52:19 AM »

I sometimes wonder if someone else said the same thing, would you react this way?

Anyhoo, "Runaway Dancer" rocks! Way to go, Brian. Hello from Russia. Wink

https://www.riaa.com/physicalpiracy.php?content_selector=piracy_online_the_law
http://www.riaa.com/faq.php

Some reading material for you.

Call it "life-hacking", call it whatever you want. For the rest of us who care about our economic system, it's called "stealing". These laws exist for a reason. Laws aside, it's just common sense to pay for the things you use.

Thanks for those links, Rab.  Not that it will matter if someone is insisting on the justification of petty theft by saying it's "modern."  So is trolling.  That hardly makes either acceptable, and one does happen to be ILLEGAL.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »

Thanks, I did the reading. But thing is, it only applies for the U.S. I am from Russia. 2nd, all the music I download stays only within my laptop. I don't share it with everyone online, only a few folks offline. I never shared anything without permission, be it an authorized picture and so on. Don't go overboard making it worse than it is. I have common sense, don't worry for that. 3rd, that comparison Ms. Levitt gave I think is incompatible. it is not the same as when you d/l music shared by a middling person that I can't see. Whereas you steal the stuff at home directly, you are responsible & you are guilty.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »

Not sure where to put this but here's Zooey talking about working with Brian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nqq65IEJI0
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »

agree to disagree
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:03:45 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 10:18:13 AM »

Thanks, I did the reading. But thing is, it only applies for the U.S. I am from Russia. 2nd, all the music I download stays only within my laptop. I don't share it with everyone online, only a few folks offline. I never shared anything without permission, be it an authorized picture and so on. Don't go overboard making it worse than it is. I have common sense, don't worry for that. 3rd, that comparison Ms. Levitt gave I think is incompatible. it is not the same as when you d/l music shared by a middling person that I can't see. Whereas you steal the stuff at home directly, you are responsible & you are guilty.

Frankly, it pisses me off when I work hard and use my extra money to buy music and people like you come along and illegally download the music without question. If people like me DIDN'T exist then no one would be making the music in the first place...because the artist would have no incentive to record because they would not be getting paid. You're taking advantage of the fact that hardworking, honest, and law abiding citizens PAY for the music that YOU listen to. So if I appear to be going "overboard", good.

Read those links again...Even if the laws don't apply in your country, the reasons for those laws existing are quite clear.

If you really can't see the ethics behind the concept of buying things that you use (concepts I was taught and understood in grade school), then I'm done debating it with you.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »

Not that it will matter if someone is insisting on the justification of petty theft by saying it's "modern."  So is trolling.  That hardly makes either acceptable, and one does happen to be ILLEGAL.
I'm sure Brian himself wouldn't give a fig about all this. For him, it is simple - if someone is a fan, then is fan, regardless of how they get the music, buy it not buy. We are all equal - we are fans of the best band ever! 3D And that is what matters.

How on earth would you know how Brian feels about this?  We're not talking about equality.  We are talking about theft.  Do you work for free?  If someone provides a service or a product, they deserve compensation if you use it. Period.  I don't care if you're from frikkin' Mars.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »

I'm sure Brian himself wouldn't give a fig about all this. For him, it is simple - if someone is a fan, then is fan,

I think Brian has always been interested in sales and having hit records.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 10:39:28 AM »

<<And the fact is lots of people nowadays try to find a website that doesn't require registration or paying money. It's been like that & will be. It's called "life-hacking". Sure, if I don't find a certain track, I 1st order to upload it, then if they still don't have it by then, will pay the money for. Also, there is a freedom of choice, isn't there? No one should force anyone to do so and so & say that I "owe it to economics". Coz that's ridiculous. Why no one regulates it, then? Why no one officially states a law that it's totally wrong to get music for free? Then it's not stealing.
Anyhoo, "Runaway Dancer" rocks! Way to go, Brian. Hello from Russia.>>

(edited to remove statement lumping in all Russians)  Absolutely no common sense understanding of how the free market works.  Sheer inane insanity.  Living in the past, my ass.  It is stealing, pure and simple.  It's not even a question of profit margin.  It's a question of who pays to CREATE the art?  It isn't just artists salaries or points... it's production time, equipment, musicians, all the expensive stuff that goes into making music.  Perhaps in Russia, the government still subsidizes art, but not here.  Someone has to pay all these people, rent all this equipment, studio time, support staff, technicians, etc.  Who's going to do that?

This modern day mentality that all content should be free - "it's the future" - is bull - children bleating that whatever they want they should be able to have, free, right now.  Whether it's a college education, a high paying job, the latest movies or even the new Brian Wilson album.  It's a mentality that has created an entire generation of self-entitled brats.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:50:13 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »

"Hello from Russia" explains it all.  

No it doesn't. Don't lump all Russians together just because RangeRoverA1 doesn't know right from wrong.

Please delete my account
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 11:21:25 AM »

How on earth would you know how Brian feels about this?  We're not talking about equality. I don't care if you're from frikkin' Mars.
What for are you addressing me like that? I wasn't being over familiar with you or rude (I mean your last bit). Very 'classy'. Speaks more about you. Air Quotes
    I was explaining why it's not a case of theft, but somehow, everyone is telling me it is. As to your 1st question, it is a known thing that Brian doesn't care about business side, only recording side of making music. Sure, as Fire Wind said, he likes hits, but it's on the surface, he doesn't actually get into details of how the charts work, behind the scenes or whatev. it's called.

2 Steve Latshaw, I didn't say I'm for all things free - education etc. Let's not exaggerate. We are talking  about digital downloading or at least I was. Do the artists get paid for postings on Youtube? Why are they still up? Are all these viewings equal to a sum of dollars or how they count it? Don't they know there are lots of ways to save any video from there, not just watch it? I think there is some kind of double-sidedness here.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:05:24 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 11:23:44 AM »

I'm going to order it where I usually order music online. Or just ask one of my Smiley friends that will upload it on sendspace. There is no marketing for record players in our lil town. So I have to hear it as mp3. And since I'm a huge BBs/BW fan, I cannot miss any new stuff.

As you see, I'm honest and it's not stealing. I'm a genuine fan & I sure don't expect anyone to tell me or hint that I steal, thank you very much.

This music would not exist if money wasn't involved.  To say otherwise is just wrong and ignorant.  It's impossible to understand how you think it's ok to steal something that Brian worked on for two years and put a lot of effort into.  Obviously you don't really care about him considering you're not even willing to spend the 10-15 dollars it takes to buy his album.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:24:55 AM by The Cincinnati Kid » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »

*sigh* buy the album.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2015, 11:27:49 AM »

I love Kacey. Love Love Love

Those pants are fake. Joe Thomas obviously took a plain old pair of cotton pants and sprayed them with a semi-gloss acrylic sheen. Very unnatural looking. Don't these people know cotton will never go out of style. Why would a beautiful girl cheapen herself with an outfit like that!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 11:31:13 AM »

How on earth would you know how Brian feels about this?  We're not talking about equality.  We are talking about theft.  Do you work for free?  If someone provides a service or a product, they deserve compensation if you use it. Period.  I don't care if you're from frikkin' Mars.
What for are you addressing me like that? I wasn't being over familiar with you or rude (I mean your last bit). Very 'classy'.
    I was explaining why it's not a case of theft, but somehow, everyone is telling me it is. As to your 1st question, it is a known thing that Brian doesn't care about business side, only recording side of making music. Sure, as Fire Wind said, he likes hits, but it's on the surface, he doesn't actually get into details of how the charts work, behind the scenes or whatev. it's called.

2 Steve Latshaw, I didn't say I'm for all things free - education etc. Let's not exaggerate. We are talking  about digital downloading or at least I was. Do the artists get paid for postings on Youtube? Why are they still up? Are all these viewings equal to a sum of dollars or how they count it? Don't they know there are lots of ways to save any video from there, not just watch it? I think there is some kind of double-sidedness here.

The only reason why Brian was able to record music was because people bought his records in the first place. Imagine if everyone stole the 45s or LPs from the record store (which is EXACTLY the same thing) - Brian wouldn't be in the music business for long and I guarantee we would never have gotten Pet Sounds. This is common sense economics.

Youtube videos make money from advertising...so the artist is making money while at the same time getting good exposure for their music. Record companies know that there are ways to rip the music from youtube, but they rely on the honesty of law-abiding citizens to make the right choice to buy the music legally if they like what they hear.

Seriously RangeRover, take an online economics course - they're available to download from iTunes for free - that should be enough incentive for you.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2015, 11:45:03 AM »

agree to disagree
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:59:48 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx