gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 10:33:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love guest-starring in...well, whatever the hell this is...  (Read 8743 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 12:39:47 AM »

Liking it to a degree. Mike's cameos are fun but he's a rather wooden actor to say the least. The visual refs to BBs are nice - SSafari cover, and Party! cover brought to life, kinda… interesting!

“We live in divisive times.”
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 04:32:38 AM »

I wonder if, in non interviews and performances, Mike talks in phrases from Beach Boys songs? After all these years, I still find it annoying.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 08:06:49 AM »

Mike's voice sounds bad. I found him hard to understand. I had to listen a few times to get that he just quoted BB lyrics. I hope his voice will recover.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »

Mike's voice sounds bad. I found him hard to understand. I had to listen a few times to get that he just quoted BB lyrics. I hope his voice will recover.

I wonder if Mike's vocal degradation is due to overuse at too many shows? We know it's not smoking or drugs.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 08:41:11 AM »

God what crap! Funny thing is, if this was on No Pier Pressure with Brian singing backing vocals, you can bet certain people on this board would be lining up to tell you how wonderful it is.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »

I wonder if Mike's vocal degradation is due to overuse at too many shows? We know it's not smoking or drugs.

Could it be karma? Brow

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »

Or, you know, simple aging. Happens to the best of us (and in my case, quicker than expected)!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 01:51:47 PM »

Billy is still damn sexy though! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »

Yup...I got that whole Carl Reiner thing going LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »

To be honest, all spoken parts are kinda hard to listen to, bad mics probably.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 04:52:23 PM »

Could it be karma? Brow

While I think karma may have bit Mike in some ways, I wouldn't count his voice as one of them. I think it's pretty obvious to correlate that he's put some major mileage on his vocal cords from the staggering quantity of shows he plays. In addition to age, of course, which is a no-brainer. I tend to think he wouldn't really care all that much about it to make any major changes, if it meant cutting back on the quantity. I don't think anything, but anything, even vocal degradation, would ever get in the way of Mike playing the amount of shows he wants to play.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:53:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 06:23:26 PM »

Could it be karma? Brow

While I think karma may have bit Mike in some ways, I wouldn't count his voice as one of them. I think it's pretty obvious to correlate that he's put some major mileage on his vocal cords from the staggering quantity of shows he plays. In addition to age, of course, which is a no-brainer. I tend to think he wouldn't really care all that much about it to make any major changes, if it meant cutting back on the quantity. I don't think anything, but anything, even vocal degradation, would ever get in the way of Mike playing the amount of shows he wants to play.

Yup-just keep up the cash grab and screw quality which is the basic premise of the farcical M&B act.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2015, 07:32:20 AM »

I wonder if, in non interviews and performances, Mike talks in phrases from Beach Boys songs? After all these years, I still find it annoying.

This really needs to be a thread on the board. It has so much potential
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 11:22:51 PM »

Are you all deaf?? Mike only uttered California Girls. Listen to chap talking to him at 2:54, "sunlight plays upon her hair" etc. Mike: "What are you talking about?"

You all fell short by this evidence.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:32:20 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 07:02:09 AM »

http://music.allaccess.com/an-interview-with-malibu-songstress-kylie-hughes/

An interview with Ms Hughes, in which she says that when she tried out her material for Earle Mankey at his studio, Jeff Foskett was present. That might factor into how the Lovester ended up in her video.  Though she doesn't say if Foskett is actually on her record.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2015, 12:16:51 PM »

I checked out the album on Spotify.  "Calipopicana" is the weakest song on the EP.  The others are pretty decent.  "Calipopicana" is too repetitive, and while I dig her voice, it's not right for the song (although I can't really express why).  The mix is also bad.  That's apparent in the video, and I was hoping that the actual track sounded better.  Nope.  I think this could be a decent song if:

1. The arrangement was changed to fit better with her voice and vocal style.
2. It were mixed better.
3. If Mike, Jeff or Bruce sang background vox.  The backgrounds are BB-esque, and you've got Mike in the video.  Why not feature Mike and crew on the backing?

This song could stand a second iteration.  The others are serviceable.

And she's pretty.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »

And she's pretty.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
JP
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »

Why were we tricked into thinking this some sort of movie? It's something I would say a total ripoff.

Not something I want to see myself.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »

Why were we tricked into thinking this some sort of movie? It's something I would say a total ripoff.

Not something I want to see myself.

I don't think the goal was to trick anybody into thinking this was a movie.  I think the kitschy beach movie theme fits well, and the story line, choreography and filming are quite well-done.  Unfortunately they went too far by using the movie trailer format as the vehicle.  They should have dropped the trailer format and all the credits and this would have been fine.  As an amateur producer, it's odd for something so well choreographed and filmed to take such a wrong turn in production.
SBonilla
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »

It sounds like Belinda Carlisle singing  to a Walter Egan track. It's cute. Too cute, really.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx