gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:01:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBC Radio 2 Play "Saturday Night" 24/03  (Read 7534 times)
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »

This is the dog's bollocks. Best track heard yet from this album, by a long chalk. Standout.

Agree.  I like the others OK, but since hearing the tiny bit of "Saturday Night" on the sampler, just seeing the title has had me singing the chorus.  The complete song lives up to the sample.

Just an aside, John, but after seeing your votes on the Polls threads, I decided that if I am ever winding down my days incapacitated in a nursing home, you would be my pick to do a BB/BW mixtape for me!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:28:08 AM by Les P » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 09:03:37 AM »

The thing is, this is why the album has guest spots. Promo, promo, promo.

They're not going to release BW solo vox to tease the album, unless they run out of the guest tracks. And we've still got Zooey and Musgraves to go.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »

They're not going to release BW solo vox to tease the album, unless they run out of the guest tracks. And we've still got Zooey and Musgraves to go.
They need you to do the liners for the album! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:40 AM »

In my dream world, this song would be in a big movie soundtrack in an integral scene, would be released as a single and would receive much support form the record company and be a hit.  I love Brian Wilson and have really enjoyed his solo work but have never believed that much of his earlier work would be hit single type of material.  As much as I have enjoyed earlier stuff it seemed unrealistic that it could be big hit radio material.  But this song has serious potential, I think.  Perhaps that has been Brian's hope too.  I am a junior high teacher and have been grooving to this song all morning long and when the kids come in they have asked about it and are really diggin' it.  I told kids the album and release date and many are going to drop the $1.29 on itunes and make it happen.  This is the best song of 2015 for me and it will be the soundtrack of my summer.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »

the professor has been making wild and crazy analogies lately concerning some of these songs. This particular song, Saturday night, reminds him of the associations hit windy and also reminds him of the sixties song downtown by pet Clark. is there any accuracy in these comparisons, or is the professor insane and incapable of making proper sonic comparisons still?

modify: Bay city rollers too,
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:23:29 AM by the professor » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »

Another great song, it is really looking like NPP is going to be a five star album.  I do have one small complaint, the "ba ba ba" part seems like they couldn't decide how to connect Nate's part to Brian's, so they just threw that on top of it.  Otherwise, I love it.
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 11:29:35 AM »

Quincy Jones was a talented trumpet player...until a brain aneurysm nearly killed him and meant that he could no longer play the horn. He became one of the greatest record producers ever. When you buy a Quincy Jones album, you're not gonna hear him singing, and he's not going to be the composer of most of the songs...but his stamp is what makes those records awesome.
I've long believed that this was the direction Brian was heading. He's a great producer and arranger...and—unlike Q—he writes great songs, too. Brian's "instrument" — that golden voice — may not be what it used to be (although he's come a LONG way in the past ten years), but it's always gonna be a BRIAN WILSON record, regardless of how many lead vocals he passes out to guest stars.
On the first BB bootleg I ever owned — the plain white album cover with photocopied artwork, a live show from 1971 — you can hear an audience member shout out "Where's Brian?" And Bruce, I think, says, "Brian's in the music."
Thus has it ever been...so may it ever be. Brian is an artist, a genius composer...not a natural performer. I'm just grateful he's still wanting to make music.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »

F.*.C.K.*.N.G. Awesome  Grin
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »

Quincy Jones was a talented trumpet player...until a brain aneurysm nearly killed him and meant that he could no longer play the horn. He became one of the greatest record producers ever. When you buy a Quincy Jones album, you're not gonna hear him singing, and he's not going to be the composer of most of the songs...but his stamp is what makes those records awesome.
I've long believed that this was the direction Brian was heading. He's a great producer and arranger...and—unlike Q—he writes great songs, too. Brian's "instrument" — that golden voice — may not be what it used to be (although he's come a LONG way in the past ten years), but it's always gonna be a BRIAN WILSON record, regardless of how many lead vocals he passes out to guest stars.
On the first BB bootleg I ever owned — the plain white album cover with photocopied artwork, a live show from 1971 — you can hear an audience member shout out "Where's Brian?" And Bruce, I think, says, "Brian's in the music."
Thus has it ever been...so may it ever be. Brian is an artist, a genius composer...not a natural performer. I'm just grateful he's still wanting to make music.

I get what you're saying, and you said it very well.  I guess I tend to place more emphasis on those aspects of making music that are most visible to the largest subset of the audience.  That's partly because the behind-the-scenes stuff doesn't necessarily stand out to me personally-- at least not immediately.  I can go for years loving a song without knowing or caring who wrote the lyrics, arranged, or produced it.  I can enjoy a movie with little care to who wrote the script or directed it. 

Brian is my favorite musician, hands-down.  I listen to something BW or BB every day of my life, yet I can't necessarily see a solid thread between his productions.  For example, albums like Pet Sounds and Love You don't really sound to me like they were produced by the same person.  In fact, if I didn't know Love You was a BB album I wouldn't have made it through the first song before tossing the record. (In fact it is the only BB album I never bothered to purchase.)  Even allowing for the artist's evolution, I find it virtually unrecognizable in the context of stuff from other Brian eras. 

That may be my musical illiteracy, but I'm by far not the only listener of music in the world to whom the minutiae of production isn't way important.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »

This is one of those songs that makes you feel good. Love it.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »

Brian is a song writer, producer, arranger, musician, and vocalist.  I am hearing a lot of Brian Wilson on this album so far.  Think of the Santana revival albums.  For Brian, the studio is his voice, his guitar. As for the vocals, apparently he wanted us to hear Blondie here and Al there and himself over there.  Same way he wants us to hear the bass harmonica here and the accordion there.

Sail Away bleeds Brian Wilson, as well as the others.  You just need to be more open to what it means to hear Brian Wilson.

EoL

PS this sounds nothing like the Greatest American Hero theme song.

The songs are similar. Unfortunately The Greatest American Hero Theme is better. Most interesting thing about Saturday Night is the change at the beginning of the bridge, but even that devolves into something pretty bland. I wish I was getting more excited about these two latest previews (this and Sail Away) but I'm not feeling it at all. The production is very nice and clean. This is another song, along with The Right Time that feels very much like 70s Soft Rock (which I like very much mind you) but this one's melody just doesn't grab my ears.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »

This is a hit!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »

Wow, we got to hear three new songs in two days, keep 'em coming!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:03:43 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »

For those saying that they don't hear a lot of Brian on this I will add this:

I've been listening to Nate for quite a long time. Ever since his start with his band The Format. If you haven't listened to their album "Dog Problems" you really should, it's a great one.

But I digress, Nate's vocals are typically pretty sporadic. I think you can really tell that Brian had a lot to do with the melody and reigning in Nate's vocals so they weren't all over the place.

The harmonies during the chorus are absolutely beautiful. The melodies, instrumentation, chord progressions, wow. This track bleeds Brian. I can't help but imagine a young Brian singing Brian's verse towards the end. It is just so good. I think it's the best I've heard on this album so far.
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 10:28:56 PM »

Fallon gave the reunited Beach Boys a HUGE portion of his show in 2012. Letterman has had Brian and the BBs on a lot over the years. Brian's people need to arrange Brian and his "guests" to hit New York for a couple of nights.

For Letterman, with its older demographic, have Brian, Al and Blondie do "Sail Away" and "The Right Time" (id Dave will give them a second song) and for Fallon and his younger audience, have Brian and Nate do "Saturday Night." And if Fallon gives them a second song, you can see if Zoe, Kasey or Sebu is available.
Dan G
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »

Fallon gave the reunited Beach Boys a HUGE portion of his show in 2012. Letterman has had Brian and the BBs on a lot over the years. Brian's people need to arrange Brian and his "guests" to hit New York for a couple of nights.

For Letterman, with its older demographic, have Brian, Al and Blondie do "Sail Away" and "The Right Time" (id Dave will give them a second song) and for Fallon and his younger audience, have Brian and Nate do "Saturday Night." And if Fallon gives them a second song, you can see if Zoe, Kasey or Sebu is available.

Speaking of The Right Time, it is currently #2 on the BBC Radio 2 Airplay Chart!

http://ukairplaychart.com/1250//BBC_Radio_2/
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 08:13:35 AM »

For those saying that they don't hear a lot of Brian on this I will add this:

I've been listening to Nate for quite a long time. Ever since his start with his band The Format. If you haven't listened to their album "Dog Problems" you really should, it's a great one.

But I digress, Nate's vocals are typically pretty sporadic. I think you can really tell that Brian had a lot to do with the melody and reigning in Nate's vocals so they weren't all over the place.

The harmonies during the chorus are absolutely beautiful. The melodies, instrumentation, chord progressions, wow. This track bleeds Brian. I can't help but imagine a young Brian singing Brian's verse towards the end. It is just so good. I think it's the best I've heard on this album so far.

To clarify my point again, I meant to convey that in the couple times I listened to the track online, I don't hear a lot of Brian's vocals.  Maybe the track bleeds Brian, but I can't really tell, and I'd venture a bet that the majority of whatever audience hears the song can't either.  For non fanatics and non-musicians, production and arrangement tend to take a back seat to vocals.  I know that blows some minds here, but it's true. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 08:41:37 AM »

Speaking of The Right Time, it is currently #2 on the BBC Radio 2 Airplay Chart!

http://ukairplaychart.com/1250//BBC_Radio_2/

That backs up what I'm hearing on the airwaves… Chris Evans seems to be playing it an awful lot and even stating his growing appreciation of it.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 08:52:55 AM »

Too bad it's getting no airplay here in the US, at least where I live.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 01:06:19 PM »

I have to say it... I think Nate should have sung the bridge as well.... While Brian sounds fine the song calls for a single lead voice... (there I said it... couldn't not say it..)

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 06:42:36 AM »

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:25:17 PM by Sjöman » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx