gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:22:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBC Radio 2 Play "Saturday Night" 24/03  (Read 7581 times)
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:08:19 AM »

Ken Bruce just played Saturday Night at 10:55 UK time, caught me out as was driving at the time and just started humming  along as if I knew the song already, then it hit me!!!  I hope the show can be played back off the BBC Radio 2 website at some point, cant check as on my phone at the moment!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:49:10 AM »

Excellent! Nice catch man, I'll check the sites asap!

Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:11:25 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05mpzxn

1hr 26 mins  25 seconds in
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:29:28 AM »

Wow.  The last 3 songs that have been released/leaked have just been fantastic.  The ending of Saturday Night seems to be a bit of a let down, maybe it would have been better had they repeated the chorus one more time and faded out.  Honestly, of the ones we've heard thus far, "Right Time" is my least favorite, and even it's a good song.  But Runaway Dancer, Sail Away, and now Saturday Night have all three knocked my socks off.  I can't wait to get NPP!

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:38:10 AM »

Really loving this track. I can see this being a big hit.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:39 AM »

Really loving this track. I can see this being a big hit.

Agreed, I think this one could be a big hit!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:47 AM »

This is the dog's bollocks. Best track heard yet from this album, by a long chalk. Standout.

“We live in divisive times.”
Zeb
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »

Better get the lawyers ready.  Uncomfortable similarity to Greatest American Hero theme song. 
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 07:12:50 AM »

I like the song, but I'm not hearing a lot of Brian.  That's really my only concern about this album.  I want to hear Brian Wilson on a Brian Wilson album.  The guest-heavy tracks are just bonus tracks to me-- and that includes that Blondie verse on "Sail Away."  I dig the symbolism of having him on the album and singing on that verse, but aside from the symbolism he really brings nothing to the table. 
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 07:32:14 AM »

I like the song, but I'm not hearing a lot of Brian.  That's really my only concern about this album.  I want to hear Brian Wilson on a Brian Wilson album.  The guest-heavy tracks are just bonus tracks to me-- and that includes that Blondie verse on "Sail Away."  I dig the symbolism of having him on the album and singing on that verse, but aside from the symbolism he really brings nothing to the table. 

You mean other than writing and arranging them???
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 07:34:28 AM »

Brian is a song writer, producer, arranger, musician, and vocalist.  I am hearing a lot of Brian Wilson on this album so far.  Think of the Santana revival albums.  For Brian, the studio is his voice, his guitar. As for the vocals, apparently he wanted us to hear Blondie here and Al there and himself over there.  Same way he wants us to hear the bass harmonica here and the accordion there.

Sail Away bleeds Brian Wilson, as well as the others.  You just need to be more open to what it means to hear Brian Wilson.

EoL
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:35:22 AM by Empire Of Love » Logged

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 07:35:28 AM »

Yeah, I don't really care much about or notice writing and arrangement.  I guess that makes me music dumb.  Joe Biden could have arranged that number and I wouldn't know any better.  I want to *hear* Brian.  So yeah, I mean other than writing and arranging.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 07:38:56 AM »

Brian is a song writer, producer, arranger, musician, and vocalist.  I am hearing a lot of Brian Wilson on this album so far.  Think of the Santana revival albums.  For Brian, the studio is his voice, his guitar. As for the vocals, apparently he wanted us to hear Blondie here and Al there and himself over there.  Same way he wants us to hear the bass harmonica here and the accordion there.

Sail Away bleeds Brian Wilson, as well as the others.  You just need to be more open to what it means to hear Brian Wilson.

EoL

Think if Brian had limited his involvement in the Beach Boys' formative years to writing, producing, and arranging.  Do you really think all those kids were listening and thinking, "Dang that's some sweet arranging"?  It was the sound, and Brian's voice was a major factor there.  I hear more Brian Wilson in the Explorers' Club stuff and Jeff Foskett's solo stuff than I hear in most of Brian's stuff.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 07:42:25 AM »

WOW.  That makes it 5 for 5 of full tracks the I've heard and love from this record!  Each one is better than the last.  This really sounds like an excellent Beach Boys record would sound.
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 07:42:56 AM »

Far and away my favourite song that has leaked out thus far (and I am really enjoying the others).  Takes me back to the Vegas show.  Nate was the standout guest.  Wait until you hear the full Hold On, Dear Brother.  You will pee your pants or cry or whatever it is you do when you are completely blown away.  This song could be a hit.  Love the banjo.  Killer production.  Backing vocals on the chorus is the sound of the summer waves washing the wax out of your ears.  Brian, you are gift that just keeps on giving!  Thanks for bringing such joy at a time when I really need it!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:54 AM »

Yeah, I don't really care much about or notice writing and arrangement.  I guess that makes me music dumb.  Joe Biden could have arranged that number and I wouldn't know any better.  I want to *hear* Brian.  So yeah, I mean other than writing and arranging.

Yes you do or you wouldn't have cared about or noticed the Beach Boys.  The voices are just another instrument in the arrangement. 
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 07:44:11 AM »

My favorite song from NPP so far. The chorus is unbelievably catchy, and Nate's clear voice complements the melody and arrangement nicely. I think it would perform really well as a single.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 07:48:44 AM »

Brian is a song writer, producer, arranger, musician, and vocalist.  I am hearing a lot of Brian Wilson on this album so far.  Think of the Santana revival albums.  For Brian, the studio is his voice, his guitar. As for the vocals, apparently he wanted us to hear Blondie here and Al there and himself over there.  Same way he wants us to hear the bass harmonica here and the accordion there.

Sail Away bleeds Brian Wilson, as well as the others.  You just need to be more open to what it means to hear Brian Wilson.

EoL

Agreed 100%. One thing I love about Brian is that he is willing to say "Someone else would sound better on this song" - he's done it his whole life in the studio...it's what makes him the artist that he is. Nate Ruess sounds incredible on this song, and honestly I can't see this song being as powerful if Brian had taken the lead.

PS this sounds nothing like the Greatest American Hero theme song.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 07:49:44 AM »

Yes you do or you wouldn't have cared about or noticed the Beach Boys.  The voices are just another instrument in the arrangement. 

You make a good point.  I suppose the facet of his arrangement that I appreciate the most (inordinately more than the others, I guess) is the vocals.  I think one of the reasons I don't care much for later Beach Boys work is Brian's reduced presence in the vocal stack.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 08:28:32 AM »

I did catch all the ads and Nate Reuss on "The Voice" last evening as well.  The lead singer on this song is getting face time on national TV in the US as well, so it's all good.

As far as it coming up again here that "only the vocals matter" - do you people truly never consider the fact that if someone hadn't written the song, that no one would be singing it?  Seriously?  Never mind the whole arranging/mixing etc. parts of the recording process.  How would you be hearing anything if the recording process never took place?  I guess we sometimes need to get back to the fundamentals.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 08:35:54 AM »

I did catch all the ads and Nate Reuss on "The Voice" last evening as well.  The lead singer on this song is getting face time on national TV in the US as well, so it's all good.

As far as it coming up again here that "only the vocals matter" - do you people truly never consider the fact that if someone hadn't written the song, that no one would be singing it?  Seriously?  Never mind the whole arranging/mixing etc. parts of the recording process.  How would you be hearing anything if the recording process never took place?  I guess we sometimes need to get back to the fundamentals.

My point is that I prefer Brian Wilson songs with Brian on lead (or heavy on the harmonies, a la "Right Time") over Brian Wilson songs with guests on lead.  The vocals are a bigger deal than many people think.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »

Well, Brian sings lead on the verses of Runaway Dancer; sings a verse, bridge and chorus on Sail Away; and as you noted is heavy in the backing vox for Rught Time -- so it's difficult to say he's not present vocally on the album, right?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 08:41:32 AM »

Listen to this song with headphones on… it is subtley saturated with Brian's voice.

“We live in divisive times.”
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 08:44:46 AM »

Well, Brian sings lead on the verses of Runaway Dancer; sings a verse, bridge and chorus on Sail Away; and as you noted is heavy in the backing vox for Rught Time -- so it's difficult to say he's not present vocally on the album, right?

I said I didn't hear a lot of Brian on "Saturday Night" on the couple times I was able to listen to it.  This grew into a larger gripe about the guests, none of which I care much for yet aside from Al.  In fact, the more I listen to "Sail Away" (my fav so far of the NPP songs we've heard), the more I really don't like Blondie's vocal on that first verse.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »

I like the song, and with Nate's inclusion, I do believe it could have been a hit. I think the production will preclude it from being one, however.

I'm not sure if it's the way Brian prefers his songs to sound or if it's Joe Thomas' influence, but the production and possibly arrangement of this album sounds neither modern nor "retro." It feels caught in an early 2000s adult contemporary or family-film soundtrack vibe. It's too clean and sterile.

I think an epic sound like Fun's production or more of a stripped down "California Sage" feel would have worked and potentially put this on the charts.

I will listen to this album and really enjoy it, and if working with Joe Thomas gets Brian Wilson albums completed and on shelves, then I have to appreciate it. But, for example, the guitar solo is this song is so inoffensive, it's offensive.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx