-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:57:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  any Ray Stevens fans?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: any Ray Stevens fans?  (Read 3753 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:20:34 AM »

Ray Stevens is one of the greatest artist/composers of the last 50+ yrs. His output in the 60s, first half of the 70s and 80s is killer. He made great pop/rock, novelty/comedy and country. His music of the last 15 yrs is pretty bad but he WAS good, turns out he played a couple gigs with the BBs in.63..
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »

Yes...Ray was well above just OK.  Several hits.  Lots of wit.  Well done work.  I also enjoyed the late Roger Miller's sense of humour. Cool Guy

Ray's 'Smith and Jones' was a funny little story.  Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lneTdhG22IM

And don't think for a minute that Bobby McFerrin didn't hear and appreciate THIS Ray Stevens original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9WgI4uYNk
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:30:11 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »

Yes...Ray was well above just OK.  Several hits.  Lots of wit.  Well done work.  I also enjoyed the late Roger Miller's sense of humour. Cool Guy

Ray's 'Smith and Jones' was a funny little story.  Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lneTdhG22IM

And don't think for a minute that Bobby McFerrin didn't hear and appreciate THIS Ray Stevens original...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9WgI4uYNk

OH mAN!!  LOve Smith and Jones.  And what of Delta Queen and the Dips?  Ray was KILLER!!!!!!   
What you can find with the BBs/Beatles:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_aogC5DE9o

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
halblaineisgood
cat
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 06:33:48 AM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:38:27 AM by God Only Meows » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:28:14 AM »

Cat??? Oh... you mean Cat Stevens! Yes, he made some excellent cuts too (including the first and deepest one). Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 08:21:05 AM »

Who cares about that bore? care about cats-pets. 3D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:24:02 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:26:59 AM »

I guess this is Sandboxed because the moderators thought the thread was going to move into a discussion of Ray's well-known and controversial current political views, but the man has made a solid contribution to American music.  In his 1969 interview with Jann Wenner, Dylan made it a point to say he liked his stuff. Also, several of his tracks like "Sunset Strip" display a considerable appreciation of Brian's songwriting and arrangements.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 05:08:00 AM »

I guess this is Sandboxed because the moderators thought the thread was going to move into a discussion of Ray's well-known and controversial current political views, but the man has made a solid contribution to American music.  In his 1969 interview with Jann Wenner, Dylan made it a point to say he liked his stuff. Also, several of his tracks like "Sunset Strip" display a considerable appreciation of Brian's songwriting and arrangements.

I still feel a comedy song like "Bridget The Midget" (or maybe "The Streak") would be just the thing for Brian's forthcoming rock'n'roll album. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 05:13:01 AM »

Who cares about that bore? care about cats-pets. 3D

Cat Stevens a bore? No way. ;=)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcqk_SEsLPU

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 05:44:08 AM »

I remember watching his TV show in 1970! Cheesy  Whenever I come across "Everything Is Beautiful" on an oldies station, I'll stop and listen to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: