gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:35:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blondie & Brian to appear on Jimmy Kimmel Thurs, 4/2  (Read 24957 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 11:51:17 PM »

Rewatched it, and he hit most of the notes in the higher register. It was the lower notes he struggled with a bit. Overall, though, I thought it was fine.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 01:21:08 AM »

Pretty disjointed affair overall, but Brian's lower register is so rich, his voice is such a unique treasure even after everything it's been through. He's singing strongly these days. It looked a little claustrophobic in there as well.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 01:30:38 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rrm94Xqt_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzXzVvQ0XME

Here's the links. I don't really get the negative comments, I think he sounds pretty great and  looks happy too. Much better than on the Fallon (?) show last time, when he just sat there pretty much silent during Our Prayer and Danny Boy.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2015, 03:13:05 AM »

I'm just glad that it looks like we'll get "The Last Song" on the tour like I wanted! Woohoo!
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2015, 03:21:10 AM »

Jeez it's cool seeing Blondie up there.
Nicko1234
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2015, 04:23:37 AM »

I think it`s fair to say that attempting Sail Away without Al was a mistake. Brian so obviously doesn`t know the words and stumbles quite a few times. I can understand why some people on Twitter who don`t know Brian`s history would have tweeted the way that they did.

This Beautiful Day and The Last Song is a much better effort.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2015, 04:57:46 AM »

Thanks for the links!

I enjoyed watching it as the music is so good.
We know that brian's performances aren't flawless which becomes obvious especially on TV. But I think he did ok. Blondie is a enhancement for every band. Great musician and singer! I think the background vocals are at times not right. They sounded a little flat and thin. Guess that just shows how important Al got for this band. In fact I can't imagine this group without him. Just as in the Beach Boys in 2012 his voice really makes the magic in the harmonies.
I also wonder if Foskett's missing has something to do with that. After all, his voice was very important for the sound.

Brian's hair turned whiter than I realized. Combined with the black shirt it looks great. All in all, Brian looks healthy and happy. He deserves that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2015, 05:01:54 AM »

Brian is pretty on the ball here...it's the best singing I've seen from him on TV.

The problem is the mix. I'm a little bit horrified that this was allowed to air as it is - it sounds like the mixers folded his entire band down into one channel, and Brians voice into the other. Part of the point of having such a large band is being able to have a sound close to the scale of what's on the record, and anyone who has heard the BW band live knows exactly what I mean. The mix makes it sound like he has the minimum number of musicians require to perform.

I'm disappointed in how it came out...but the thought of hearing these tracks live on the summer your is very exciting. Last Song ftw

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2015, 07:08:50 AM »

Also seeing Blondie up there with Brian really has me stoked to see them this summer. Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin. In 2015. Incredible. Can't wait.
+1!  Smiley

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2015, 07:41:25 AM »

Have to agree, Brian sounds very good, not perfect. I'm sure it will get better. I agree about the mix, too thin. This is going to be a very good year. I wish that Carl was here to see his brother finally explode with the creativity that Carl predicted.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2015, 08:02:41 AM »

Yeah, backing vocals were a particular weak point, I thought. They didn't have much of a "blend," perhaps due to mixing, or perhaps due to the vocalists present. Brian was... OK
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2015, 09:19:58 AM »

Brian is trying to hold it altogether,but the band sounds tentative and weak, in playing and singing. Jeff was no asset in live shows; it is he who ruined Radio in live performances, since he just could not sing it. Sail away was only on for 1 minute, mainly over the final credits and then cut off.  Was that just in LA? The youtube video has the whole song, but I tel you in LA it was just 1:00 long? Anyone?

Missing the real original BB here. I can't imagine anyone who is not one of us seeing this and wanted to get the album. It was so lonely for Brian to try to do it all.

Kimmel is a bone head, and his show is terrible; all his bit players are also morons; the show itself was torture--never again.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:24:02 AM by the professor » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2015, 09:41:38 AM »

Wow..morons? Really?! Making it a bit personal.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »

it's not personal Sonny, strictly business....

Wow..morons? Really?! Making it a bit personal.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »

Finally watched it from the DVR, and also watched the *full* "Sail Away" on YouTube.

It was pretty par for the course as far as Brian TV appearances. Kind of shaky, and they never do get a particularly great mix on Brian's band on these TV appearances. I think the backing harmonies sounded fine, they were simply more sparse for some reason. Ike was there, but he wasn't doing the falsetto parts on "Sail Away." They just did the song without that part. Interesting idea to have Blondie take Brian's second verse since Brian was singing Al's choruses.

I think it will sound much better and come off much better once the tour starts. I don' t think Brian sounded too great, but he usually doesn't on these TV appearances. In concert, he does tend to warm up and sound a bit looser.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »

Kimmel is a bone head, and his show is terrible; all his bit players are also morons; the show itself was torture--never again.

Why watch the rest of the show? It's the beauty of DVR and/or YouTube. Even with talk show hosts I like, I never sit and watch the whole thing. I dig Conan's comedy bits, but the celebrity interviews are as tedious on his show as any usually. I'm not really into Kimmel; I think he has a few interesting bits that, whatever their intention, have a bit of interesting social commentary (celebrities reading mean tweets for instance).

But in cases like this, record the thing or wait for it on YouTube, and avoid the hour of filler "comedy", not to mention countless commercials.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2015, 09:50:22 AM »

First Brainiest and now this-- I can't wait to hear this band live again with a decent mix!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »

Ever since I saw Brian up close in person I literally can't stop seeing how much pain he's in during these... He looks afraid and in pain...

I love the guy, and this was a pretty damn decent effort as far as he goes live! But... on "everything will be alright" I had to almost turn away when I could SEE the pain in his eyes.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2015, 09:54:22 AM »

Why watch the rest of the show? It's the beauty of DVR and/or YouTube. Even with talk show hosts I like, I never sit and watch the whole thing. I dig Conan's comedy bits, but the celebrity interviews are as tedious on his show as any usually. I'm not really into Kimmel; I think he has a few interesting bits that, whatever their intention, have a bit of interesting social commentary (celebrities reading mean tweets for instance).

But in cases like this, record the thing or wait for it on YouTube, and avoid the hour of filler "comedy", not to mention countless commercials.

Or just not tune in until Brian performs.  Tongue
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2015, 10:01:17 AM »

well Falon had an interview and said relevant things about the BB, so I wanted to see how JK handled the whole thing, and I suppose I wanted to give his show a shot, as I had never seen it before---that aside, was Sail Away cut off on east coast as well?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:34 AM »

I didn't see it but a long-time friend and Beach Boys fan called me late last night and said Brian didn't look too good. Said the first song was OK but the "second song was better". So the negative comments are warranted. Just from his observations he thought Brian was nervous and stumbled around. Al should have been there.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2015, 10:12:14 AM »

I didn't see it but a long-time friend and Beach Boys fan called me late last night and said Brian didn't look too good. Said the first song was OK but the "second song was better". So the negative comments are warranted. Just from his observations he thought Brian was nervous and stumbled around. Al should have been there.

I'm guessing Al had some other commitment. He was in LA only two days prior for the "Brian Fest", and I saw several mentions going back over a week or two that it was only Blondie appearing. I think they knew well in advance that Al couldn't make it for some reason.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2015, 10:15:47 AM »

I think Brian, Al, and Blondie and the band (including Ike) will rehearse and get it right for Saratoga, Jude. We're seeing them first, and we may indeed see a couple of stumbles in these new songs until they get it near perfect.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »

I think Brian, Al, and Blondie and the band (including Ike) will rehearse and get it right for Saratoga, Jude. We're seeing them first, and we may indeed see a couple of stumbles in these new songs until they get it near perfect.

Exactly. This was their first performance together as a band since the December Vegas gig. Saratoga opens the tour, but since they're touring for a month in June and July, I would imagine they'll be dong some full-blown pre-tour rehearsals prior to the tour starting.

The biggest *possible* drawback about seeing a show early in the tour is that sometimes the setlist gets more interesting as the tour goes on. The first show sometimes has a slightly more conservative setlist.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2015, 10:21:33 AM »

Yeah, we saw a good example of that during the C50.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx