gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:27:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Glen Campbell in the Beach Boys.  (Read 2439 times)
mel91679
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:34:29 PM »

Hey again
I was wondering how long Glen Campbell was a member of the band as their bass player? Also, during this time, did he do any recording sessions as their bass player which could have possibly turned into an album with Glen's picture on the cover as a band member? I guess he left before that could ever have happened but I was just curious. Keep rocking guys.
Joe
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:17:06 AM »

Glen was a touring bassist, guitarist, (and occasional banjoist) between December 26 1964 and May 15 1965, with both Brian and Bruce filling in for some dates during his tenure. None of the Beach Boys tracks recorded during that time features Glen on bass. He did however play 12-string acoustic rhythm guitar on "Please Let Me Wonder," "Help Me Ronda," and possibly 'Help Me Rhonda."

Here's a timeline that I prepared some time ago:

https://www.mediafire.com/?z03j76iw9x0bqxx

References

Aniversario, E. (2012). The Beach Boys setlist archive. Retrieved from http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/set60s.html

Doe, A. G. (2013). Bellagio 10452: Take all the time you need… a Beach Boys reference site. Retrieved from http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs65.html

Rusten, I., & Stebbins, J. (2013). The Beach Boys in concert: The ultimate history of America’s band on tour and onstage. Milwaukee: Backbeat Books.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:58:40 AM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 04:18:59 AM »

ive been watching a Glen Campbell commentary. He said he got to sing with them on record.
What is the proof or any evidence of that?  unless he is talking about 'guess I'm dumb'.
any knowledge of that? singing wise?
edit: maybe he can sing flute
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:25:09 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:04:07 AM »

Right ...he was also playing with the shindig band on tv at that time so he missed some shows
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 07:23:57 AM »

ive been watching a Glen Campbell commentary. He said he got to sing with them on record.
What is the proof or any evidence of that?  unless he is talking about 'guess I'm dumb'.

Best of my knowledge, he never sang on a studio session while in the band. Never played on "GV" either.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »

Best of my knowledge, he never sang on a studio session while in the band. Never played on "GV" either.

Maybe it was Carol Kaye? Evil
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:06:45 AM »

Now, that's a fascinating one. Craig has confirmed that, while she did unquestionably play on several "GV" sessions, she's not on the final edit. :D

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 09:35:36 AM »

Maybe it was Carol Kaye? Evil
I could have swore she sang on "Let's go away for awhile" imitating a flute.... LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx