gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:04:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listen to Sail Away in its entirety  (Read 13626 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2015, 11:40:44 AM »

Great post, GF!

I was simply wondering if he'd changed the style of his songwriting to accentuate the main melody as the hook, rather than the soaring falsetto hooks that were independent of the rest of the vocal stack-- almost a counterpoint, although I know it's not the strict definition of the term. I would guess (after a very cursory review of a few albums' tracklists) that "Getcha Back" is one of the last examples of that use of falsetto in a BW song. For whatever reason, he just stopped writing that way.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »

Brian's issues with the falsetto go back to 15 Big Ones. He couldn't do it smoothly anymore, so he didn't like to feature it as much, IMO.

He did feature it relatively prominently on Imagination, but he also did all the vocals there, so ...

He said, in a 1992 radio interview, that if he could change one thing about his recordings it would be his high girly vocals. I'm sure Brian's feelings are ambivalent regarding his own falsetto.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »

Brian didn't write Getcha Back.

I would say the last huge play of BW's falsetto -- or near-falsetto -- is the "runnin' runnin' runnin'" hook on "Your Imagination." One of the reasons (to me) the song is so satisfying.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2015, 12:05:33 PM »

I would say the last huge play of BW's falsetto -- or near-falsetto -- is the "runnin' runnin' runnin'" hook on "Your Imagination." One of the reasons (to me) the song is so satisfying.

What about Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl?
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »

Great post, GF!

I was simply wondering if he'd changed the style of his songwriting to accentuate the main melody as the hook, rather than the soaring falsetto hooks that were independent of the rest of the vocal stack-- almost a counterpoint, although I know it's not the strict definition of the term. I would guess (after a very cursory review of a few albums' tracklists) that "Getcha Back" is one of the last examples of that use of falsetto in a BW song. For whatever reason, he just stopped writing that way.

Interesting take, and you captured exactly what I mean when I talk about Brian's falsetto.  Yes, I mean it in the general sense, but I mostly mean the parts you describe as soaring hooks (often wordless) that are independent of the rest of the stack.  Those kill me every time I hear them.  So yeah, he gets into the high registers in "Our Special Love"-- which is great-- but my larger lament is the notable lack of those sweeping falsetto hooks in Brian's recent work.  There's a really decent one in "Kiss the Girl," but that's about it.  I was hoping to hear some on this album.  So far we're striking out.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »

Haha thanks Wirestone. Should've double checked the credits
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx