gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680772 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 01:25:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listen to Sail Away in its entirety  (Read 13657 times)
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:10:29 AM »

Just saw this on Facebook:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/03/23/brian-wilson-sail-away-no-pier-pressure/?mod=WSJBlog&mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Speakeasy
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »

Sorry for the duplication; I see it's posted in the new album thread already.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »

well there we have it.

doesn't get much more Beach Boys than THAT, folks.

Transcendental Meditation
NPP is turning out to be real grand slam
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »

For Beach Boys fans hoping that they’ll get back together for a new record, he says the group doesn't have anything in the works. “I think solo is my game,” he says.

Well, that is nothing absolute, but it does not provide any sign of hope for those hoping, as I ever am.

I think this is a good song, and I make no apology for wishing it were a BB song. I can hear Bruce and Mike all over it. it's funny how Mike name-checks old songs and Brian does sonic/musical checks.
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:43:42 AM »

I'm surprised he mentioned writing a new song for the movie...cuz I don't remember a new song at all.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »

Perhaps it's just coincidence, but the bridge that goes "Oh let me take you there / to another land / don't expect the world / to understand" is very reminiscent of the Kirsty MacColl/Tracey Ullman song "They Don't Know".

https://youtu.be/_BilUu5Ip7s

I really enjoy the song. There are a lot of false stops at the end. Each part is nice, but some feel kind of tacked on.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:25:57 AM »

Like I said...NPP will be the best Beach Boys album since Love You.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 11:54:29 AM »

Like I said...NPP will be the best Beach Boys album since Love You.

To me that's like a mom telling her kids that tonight's dinner will be the best dinner since that can of Alpo they had last week...
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »

Sorry for the duplication; I see it's posted in the new album thread already.

No apology necessary for me.  Once a thread gets that long and into the weeds, I stop reading it.  A fresh announcement of a useful tidbit is called for.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 12:01:24 PM »

It's actually good to see these "bulletin" topics when something new comes out, because I think quite a few people might check out of the mega-threads and miss the news like this. Once these bulletins run their course, we can merge the threads into one, no problem, to keep it all together for reference.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »

I was all ashamed about starting the separate Wild Honey video clip thread, but it ended up drawing some real interest and comments, so I think there's space for both. I know that I sometimes only check the thread titles, and I bet others do so as well.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »

How great is the little "Sloop John B." riff?!  Grin
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »

Hearing this song made me feel 15 again... especially when that chorus hits.  The best Beach Boys songs have that power... a major adrenalin hit.  The comparison to This Whole World is apt.  PCH. sea breeze, top down, wonderful!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »

what an homage to Al's and Blondie's work on Sloop and SOS respectively. A sea shanty indeed. What must Mike and Bruce be feeling now.  I know they had their reasons, but how could they not be mired now in regret that they are not part of this. Surely they hear where their own voices would go in the arrangement and mix.

May I say again that the absence of JF is the key component of the success of all thee NPP songs (or rather an important factor in their beauty and success)?

So far this album is far better than any BW solo album. You all now I like an Avengers movie with all the heroes in it, but I am facing the reality that this is not a BB album per se, while understanding that it has art within in that is as close as we may ever get to a BB album, in various guises.

Loving it all so far--including RD by that way.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »

This could very well turn out to be Brian's best solo LP.. So far I love all of it. Cry
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »

From everything I've heard, it may just be not just be Brian's best, but even better than the last Beach Boys lp, and I liked  everything on that, well...almost everything. I have absolutey no regrets about myKe , br00th, or the Jeffster not being on NPP. Slam dunk for team Brian-never look back, man. Hello

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 02:56:14 PM »

Just like I did with TWGMTR, I haven't heard any previews or samples from this new album...and it's killing me.  I think I heard about 30 seconds of the Soundstage clip they released last week but nothing else.  Cannot wait for this album already.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »

It's actually good to see these "bulletin" topics when something new comes out, because I think quite a few people might check out of the mega-threads and miss the news like this. Once these bulletins run their course, we can merge the threads into one, no problem, to keep it all together for reference.

GF - that's great news!  It's so easy to miss something when a thread runs over 100 pages!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 03:01:56 PM »

Seconded.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »

what an homage to Al's and Blondie's work on Sloop and SOS respectively. A sea shanty indeed. What must Mike and Bruce be feeling now.  I know they had their reasons, but how could they not be mired now in regret that they are not part of this. Surely they hear where their own voices would go in the arrangement and mix.

I'm sorry but this doesn't make sense to me.  It presumes that Mike Love is ignorant to the fact that Brian Wilson can compose great music.  He's been closer to the flame than most of us will ever be.  He's been a part of Brian's music for fifty years.  He's not ignorant, it's not important to him or at least not important enough to make him want to be a part of it going forward.  Heck I don't understand it but I can sure see it for what it is.  Bottom line: It's what you value you in life that makes those things important and as an aside the choices we make in our lives are often times defined by what we have to give up in making them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:05:12 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »

I think that Mike is, actually, blind to the quality of the work that Brian does without participation from him (Mike). He has constructed a narrative in which the only worthwhile BB music is that which he (Mike) has a hand in. Anything else isn't worth it.

As for the rest of it, I note that you pretty frequently imply in your posts that Mike has some sort of first hand knowledge that justifies his decision to not work with the full group. But you never quite come out and state what it is. So what does Mike know that we don't? I'm genuinely curious as to your answer.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:28:01 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 03:42:14 PM »

I think that Mike is, actually, blind to the quality of the work that Brian does without participation from him (Mike). He has constructed a narrative in which the only worthwhile BB music is that which he (Mike) has a hand in. Anything else isn't worth it.
That has been my impression for a long time as well. Certainly seems that way, judging by any interview.. ever.. with him, basically. It's so weird, and astronomically far from reality. You better hold on to that license, Mike. (But we know you will. Wink)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »

wow this song reminds me of Sloop John B...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 03:58:27 PM »

Improves on second listen… more akin to Somewhere Near Japan to my ears but perhaps that's partly down to Al's voice. Not keen on the "Sloop" references… thought this album was about contemporary Brian, after all. Maybe I need more time with this…

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »

I dig this one. Nice, non-contrived sounding trade-off on the lead vocals. That is, they are all suited to the parts they're singing. It's not just a "take turns" approach.

The mix sounds a bit muddy and cluttered in that Al's voice is a tiny bit more buried than I'd like in certain spots. Much like Brian, Blondie has a nice lower register voice that works well on this one.

Probably the best of the hand full of tracks we've heard in full. The little live snippet of this one in the "trailer" for the PBS show sounds like it, too, might sounds a bit more clear and crisp in terms of lead vocals.

I'd prefer minor and in some cases major mix changes in a number of the tracks, but I know this is how Brian likes to mix stuff.

And, for the millionth time, WTF is up with Al's voice sounding so good? Someone needs to get him on more stuff. Coerce him into cutting another solo album. See if Brian can lend him a few songs he's been noodling around with. Something. Seriously.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx