gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 12:17:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson… why still no solo career retrospective?  (Read 5761 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2015, 01:01:24 AM »

I mean, how many other solo artists with his standing haven't had a "Best of… " or a box set after 27 years as a solo artist? (I'm not counting Caroline, No)

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:28:27 AM »

Because he`s been on so many different record labels?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:34:19 AM »

All those different labels would make it a licensing nightmare.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 02:47:32 AM »

All those different labels would make it a licensing nightmare.

Besides that, I don't think there's a market for a BW solo "best of", because:
1. He didn't have any real solo hits.
2. More than half of his solo output consists of remakes of Beach Boys songs (IJWMFTT, BWPS), covers (the christmas, Disney and Gershwin albums) or material that he otherwise didn't write himself (Orange Crate Art).
3. His dedicated fans already have all his albums (or at least the ones they want to hear), the casual fans probably just want to hear him play Beach Boys hits rather than solo material.

An odds & ends compilation on the other hand would be more than welcome. There are more than enough rare BW songs on compilations or special editions, I'd love to have all of those in one place.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »

The labels thing is a red herring -- BW88, OCA, Imagination, GIOMH and BWPS are all on Warners-connected labels. Everything since then (and some before) is owned by BriMel and has been licensed out.

With NPP out, there are five BW solo records with original material. Add odds and sods like What Love Can Do and Walking Down the Path of Life and you'd have the beginnings of an excellent retrospective.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:43:39 AM »

I suppose I can’t muster any particular sentiment against a solo compilation. But I don’t think it’s needed. What would it accomplish for fans? I can tell you right now: We’d be buying an entire album for the inevitable one or two “new” tracks they would throw on it. That doesn’t excite me. We all own all of these tracks. I’m sure some of us are missing scattered non-album tracks released on random singles or compilations. But few of those are worth putting on a “best of “ compilation.

I’m sometimes surprised by the level of enthusiasm hardcore fans will give to hits/best-of compilations. Especially in the post-cassette era when you can burn (or rip) your own compilation. What is there to be excited about? Cover art? Liner notes?

Even if we just say, “Well, Brian should be held in high esteem and should have a compilation readily available”, I would say such a compilation would have to be either kind of messy and scattered (to be in all-inclusive), or would have to be less inclusive to have any sort of flow. It would just strike me as weird and messy to mix in a lot of covers (live or studio) with original stuff. The covers could be dropped, but then the pool of albums to pull from is much smaller. Then we’re basically down to mixing tracks from BW’88, Imagination, GIOMH, Lucky Old Sun, and NPP, and maybe Orange Crate Art.

Some sort of boxed set of rarities would be a good place to compile a disc of “rarities” that have been issued, and then a bunch of outtakes. There’s a bunch of even pre-solo era (as in pre-1988) solo stuff that they could get on there. They’ve put late 70’s/early 80’s stuff on the BW ’88 reissue, and there’s the ’75 demo on some of the exclusive versions of NPP. I’m thinking they could secure more “Brother-era” Brian-centric stuff for such a set.

The other thing they could do (and perhaps is what they *would* do if they decided to do a Brian comp) would be to make it an online-only compilation; they’ve done such things on iTunes before. It’s basically a downloadable pre-programmed iTunes playlist of songs to buy.

I’m sure licensing for a solo BW comp could be accomplished. It’s not an unsurmountable task; they aren’t as scattered in terms of ownership as it might initially seem. But that also doesn’t mean it would be the easiest thing, and someone has to justify the cost of putting such a comp together and judging how it might sell. As has been mentioned, Brian doesn’t really have any solo “hits” to work with (other than, arguably, the full “Smile” album), so it would be a compilation sold entirely on name recognition and prestige. I don’t think his entire solo catalog has been warmly embraced by critics. Some pieces have of course. Two of those (“Smile” and “That Lucky Old Sun”) are, not surprisingly, pieces that work better as full album experiences anyway.

In any event, I guess all of the above is more stream of consciousness than strongly advocating for any particular option. Objectively, for Brian’s “cred” in the industry and whatnot, I have mixed feelings about a “best of.” Selfishly as a fan, I’m not terribly interested considering I own all of his stuff (some of it several times over) and I continue to loathe buying entire albums for one or two extra tracks (tracks that only sometimes can be purchased on their own online).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:44:56 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 07:53:35 AM »

Probably because the quality of his solo output has been mediocre at best and that's a stretch.  I have a feeling that is about to change dramatically with the release of NPP though.  Can't wait.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »

Not enough money to be made on such a project. Who would buy it? Well, we would, but that's only, like, 50 copies. Would need some unreleased goodies snuck in to generate more sales ("MARKETPLACE").

For fun I threw this lineup together to see what a Brian Wilson 20 Greatest Hits would look like on paper. It actually looks a little better than I thought it would.

1.   Love & Mercy
2.   Melt Away
3.   Rio Grande
4.   The Spirit of Rock and Roll (SI)
5.   This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight
6.   Orange Crate Art
7.   Your Imagination
8.   South American
9.   Lay Down Burden
10.   Happy Days
11.   The First Time
12.   City Blues
13.   Getting In Over My Head
14.   Good Kind of Love
15.   Forever You’ll Be My Surfer Girl
16.   Midnight's Another Day
17.   Someone to Watch Over Me
18.   The Right Time
19.   One Kind of Love
20.   The Last Song
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »

This is an interesting concept. Apart from the logistics and legalities of it (since the releases might involve clearances and various other issues as the originals came out on several different labels and interests over the years), there may be a right time (pun) for getting some of the highlights together onto a single compilation. What is staggering to realize sometimes is that there is quite a larger pool of material to pull tracks from than many of us could have imagined would have happened in the next 20 years or so, back in the 90's.

I'd put some of Smile on there, but the argument would be how difficult it is to remove individual tracks from what is essentially a fully-realized composition. It might take away some of the experience of hearing it as a fully-realized whole in order to cull "greatest hits" from it.

I think there is somewhat of a precedent with one of Brian's peers from the 1960's. George Harrison.

I was an all-out Beatles collector and gatherer in the later 80's and 90's, picking up whatever solo albums and singles came out from the members as I scoured yard sales, flea markets, record shows, etc in my younger years. I had quite a few George Harrison solo releases that had all but dropped off the radar entirely, and some which when released had basically (to be blunt) sunk like a stone and didn't sell many copies.

Cloud Nine was his "comeback", I got the vinyl brand new when it was brand new for a Christmas gift at the time, and when the single "Got My Mind..." was in rotation on MTV. But in the years just after, who was talking about much less playing tracks from Cloud Nine? In my experience, not many.

Then George had a compilation called "The Best Of Dark Horse", which collected tracks from his post-Apple catalog into the 80's, and it was pretty well received. There was some sense of revisiting and rethinking some of these songs which had fallen off the radar for a good many fans, and now was a chance to hear them perhaps not only with fresher ears but also in a new context.

Unfortunately there was of course George's passing, and renewed interest in that way as well, but it led to the "Concert For George". With that project, I think listeners beyond the core Harrison fans had a chance to hear some of his songs with completely new ears and a totally different perspective, and they seemed to like what they were hearing. Songs which had been dismissed or forgotten by many listeners had a new sense of "that's actually a damn fine song, wow...", and people began to look more into Harrison's solo catalog.

For me, personally, I hear certain solo Harrison tracks in the present and I listen a different way, and to different elements. Some of what I didn't like in the 80's and 90's about them I am able now to hear a more full picture and listen to the song itself rather than an ill-placed synth or any of the trimmings like that which distracted my ears from the full song itself. I've "rediscovered" on several occasions a Harrison song which I had in my collection for 25 years collecting dust, but hearing it on a random listen to a Beatles radio show or something online gave it a new life.

Is it comparable to what may happen with a solo Brian Wilson compilation? That's up to the listeners themselves if they were to have something available. But I can compare it personally to the thing I went through with George Harrison's post-Apple catalog, and which I think many fans may have shared as well, and that is hearing songs that had dropped off some of our playlists in a totally different light, and it was in some cases like a pretty neat discovery (or re-discovery) of a damn fine song.

If the logistics can be worked out, if there are even logistics to be worked out, I think a compilation would be a good addition to the catalog, and one which fans would enjoy and perhaps gather some new fans as well. But at least in the next year which is chock full of "new" things to enjoy and experience from Brian Wilson, the timing might not be right. And that's in a very, very good way.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jcc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »

It's like this.

Record labels put out compilation (a.k.a. "Greatest Hits") albums when they think a particular artist is no longer artistically or commercially productive, or no longer under contract with the label.  This can also occur when the label PERCEIVES that the artist will no longer be productive as well.

Upon BW's demise, I guarantee you will see a compilation album, or if BW simply announces that he is retiring from the music business.  Historically, every time the Beach Boys stopped producing music or stopped producing their signature sound, greatest hits compilations followed.  See 1967, 1968, 1974, all through the 1990's, etc.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »

It's like this.

Record labels put out compilation (a.k.a. "Greatest Hits") albums when they think a particular artist is no longer artistically or commercially productive, or no longer under contract with the label.  This can also occur when the label PERCEIVES that the artist will no longer be productive as well.

Upon BW's demise, I guarantee you will see a compilation album, or if BW simply announces that he is retiring from the music business.  Historically, every time the Beach Boys stopped producing music or stopped producing their signature sound, greatest hits compilations followed.  See 1967, 1968, 1974, all through the 1990's, etc.

In many cases it is like that. But the whole ballgame has changed especially in the past 10 years. It's become as much a "singles" type of marketplace as it is for full albums in some ways. They also used to market these "greatest hits" comps to people who were not hardcore collectors or fans, but who wanted to have an album with all the tunes they heard on the radio in one format without having to buy multiple albums to get them. That's what I used to call the "casual fans", and they outnumber the diehards or hardcore fans in terms of marketing artists' catalogs and perhaps always will.

But look at "the biz" as it exists in 2015. As much as there is a resurgence in albums, in vinyl, in the experience of dropping a needle on a record and listening to the whole side in one sitting, the singles marketplace I'd argue is still the defining medium of 2015. If someone hears a song in a movie or on a TV show, they can be online in seconds and buy it without needing to buy or find a greatest hits package. It's instant gratification. Look at what "The Sopranos" did for Journey, or what Mad Men or Breaking Bad had done for even more obscure songs. As soon as it hit the air, you had a spike in downloads and purchases of that one song. Were people rushing out to buy "The Best Of Badfinger" after the finale, or were they downloading "Baby Blue" as a single? That's just one example.

And up to a certain point, hell it may still happen today I don't know, you had artists releasing Greatest Hits comps and adding a few "new" tracks to it in order to give the diehards a reason to buy what they had already most likely owned. Tom Petty, circa 1992 or so..."Greatest Hits" of all his stuff from the 70's and 80's and 90's, and he had a pretty decent hit with "Mary Jane's Last Dance" that was cut specifically for that package. And 20+ years later, he's still making records and just had a #1 album chart last year.

It's not quite as strictly defined, in fact I'd say it's scattered all over the place. So basically whatever is planned as a release is being thrown into a melting pot that in 2015 really doesn't have much of a template, or doesn't have the context that it did when we got "Shaved Fish" or "Wingspan" or "The Best Of Dark Horse" or whatever the case.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:16 AM »

I actually wrote this before I saw Bubba's post, and it's interesting how similar the track lists are. I did stay away from 1.) anything unreleased, 2.) stuff not written by BW and 3.) BWPS --

1. Love and Mercy
2. Melt Away
3. There's So Many
4. Rio Grande
5. This Song Wants to Sleep With You
6. Everything I Need
7. Your Imagination
8. Lay Down Burden
9. South American
10. Gettin' In Over My Head
11. Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel
12. Believe in Yourself
13. Walking Down the Path of Life
14. What Love Can Do
15. Good Kind of Love
16. Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl
17. Midnight's Another Day
18. The Like in I Love You
19. The Right Time
20. Sail Away
21. The Last Song

It's a 21-track comp, rescuing some gems from albums that folks might not have heard. I think there's a real place for something like this (as well as a two-disc version that collects some of the rarer, non-BW penned tracks).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:32:50 AM by Wirestone » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 11:22:57 AM »

Not enough money to be made on such a project. Who would buy it? Well, we would, but that's only, like, 50 copies. Would need some unreleased goodies snuck in to generate more sales ("MARKETPLACE").

For fun I threw this lineup together to see what a Brian Wilson 20 Greatest Hits would look like on paper. It actually looks a little better than I thought it would.

1.   Love & Mercy
2.   Melt Away
3.   Rio Grande
6.   Orange Crate Art
7.   Your Imagination
8.   South American
9.   Lay Down Burden
10.   Happy Days
11.   The First Time
12.   City Blues
14.   Good Kind of Love
18.   The Right Time
19.   One Kind of Love
20.   The Last Song

If you don't include anything off of NPP, the only worthy tunes from that list are:

1.   Love & Mercy
2.   Melt Away
7.   Your Imagination
8.   South American
9.   Lay Down Burden

5 songs a greatest hits package does not make.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:51:38 AM by job » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 11:27:06 AM »

1.   Love & Mercy
2.   Melt Away
3.   Rio Grande
6.   Orange Crate Art
7.   Your Imagination
8.   South American
9.   Lay Down Burden
10.   Happy Days
11.   The First Time
12.   City Blues
14.   Good Kind of Love
18.   The Right Time
19.   One Kind of Love
20.   The Last Song

If you don't include anything off od NPP, the only worthy tunes from that list are:

1.   Love & Mercy
2.   Melt Away
7.   Your Imagination
8.   South American
9.   Lay Down Burden

5 songs a greatest hits package does not make.

If I thought they unworthy I wouldn't have bothered listing them.  Cool Guy
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »

I like that tune but Von Mertens brutally murdered it with an overdose of flute on GIOMH. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »

Many of us really enjoy those tunes, Job. I understand they might not be to your tastes, but (for example) to exclude Midnight's Another Day is madness.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »

I like that tune but Von Mertens brutally murdered it with an overdose of flute on GIOMH. 

In my imaginary comp, it's a remix.  Grin
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 12:22:17 PM »

Love & Mercy
Melt Away
There’s So Many
Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
This Could Be The Night
Wings of A Dove
Your Imagination
She Says That She Needs Me
South American
Lay Down Burden
Gettin’ In Over My Head
Soul Searchin’
Live Let Live
Oxygen To The Brain
Midnight’s Another Day
Southern California
What Love Can Do
The Like In I Love You
Nothing But Love
Baby Mine
Listen To Me
One Kind Of Love
The Last Song
(bonus track)Stevie
(bonus track) Caroline, No

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »

1.   Love & Mercy
2.   Melt Away
3.   Rio Grande
6.   Orange Crate Art
7.   Your Imagination
8.   South American
9.   Lay Down Burden
10.   Happy Days
11.   The First Time
12.   City Blues
14.   Good Kind of Love
18.   The Right Time
19.   One Kind of Love
20.   The Last Song

Nice lineup but you forgot Message Man. IMO the best BW solo track!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:12:15 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »

I'd include 'What I Really Want for Christmas'.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »

Christmasey too.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 02:49:19 PM »

Get "Country Feelings" on there. Uptempo, great Brian lead.  The track builds and I particularly like it after the bridge. Am I the only one? And the "Barnyard" sound effects!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:52:25 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »

There are so many loose uncollected BW solo tracks on various collections and tribute albums and outtakes galore.  There could be a 2 disc collection with half unreleased.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »

You could have a boxed set if you included unreleased tracks.

Uncollected tracks would definitely fill at least one disc.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »

I think the tracklistings we're working up kind of reinforce that a single-disc "Best of" compilation doesn't seem to be the best idea. A boxed set of rarities and outtakes would be more appropriate at this stage.

Don't get me wrong, I can come up with a single disc (or double disc) "best of" of stuff I like. I'd throw "Let It Shine" on there; I'm probably one of the few that would. But that's best left to making our own compilations. The world at large of non-fans aren't going to be enlightened to the genius of "Good Kind of Love" or "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl."

If anything, some sort of "Basement Tapes" type thing with the "Bedroom Tapes" (they can call it that even if it has a bunch of random solo rarities) would probably get better press and word-of-mouth than a "Best of" of mostly songs nobody has heard. With a "Bedroom Tapes" sort of release, it would be implicit from the get-go that it's unfamiliar stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx