gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:07:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which BB song is YOUR "Be My Baby"?  (Read 9852 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »

Never Learn Not To Love

Nice to see this song get some love. Manson connection or not, it's a brilliant production, and seriously underrated rad track. If no Manson connection, it would probably be hailed as Denny's earliest masterpiece.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »

No Moodies song? Wink

This is a BEACH BOYS thread, bruh. Read the title! LOL

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »

Dammit LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2015, 12:09:18 PM »

Dammit LOL

Darn Brianistas can't even read, man...tsktsk. Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »

Are you in an uncomfortable seat? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2015, 12:18:57 PM »

I asked you first!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2015, 12:26:26 PM »

Just don't say Duke of Earl is also your "be my baby"! LOL

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2015, 12:29:16 PM »

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell...you'd be wrong.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »

Be True to your School then since you drag out words starting with a "W" Smokin

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2015, 12:35:11 PM »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen SMiLE Brian's braggin' tries to put me down...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »

You are "The Real Beach Boy"! LOL LOL LOL

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2015, 12:38:31 PM »

You are "The Real Beach Boy"! LOL LOL LOL

Accept no substitutes. The O.G. of Luhhhhhhhhhhv.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »

Just don't have Bruce pistol-whip me!

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »

Just don't have Bruce pistol-whip me!

I can't guarantee that the H.P.W. (Historical Pistol-Whippin') Johnston won't.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »

Then I will get K.I.C (Keep It Clean) Jardine to produce your solo album.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »

Then I will get K.I.C (Keep It Clean) Jardine to produce your solo album.

After rockin' the man in the boat, methinks the K.I.C. will demand the innocence.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2015, 12:46:53 PM »

Straight out of Hawthorne. Wink

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2015, 12:48:54 PM »

Kings of Gangsta Surf. Bustin' caps at the Foster's Freeze.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2015, 12:57:32 PM »

The woody was a low rider with tinted windows a decade before they were cool.

KDS
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »

Can't pick just one, but here's a few Beach Boys songs I never get sick of..........

Surf's Up
Warmth of the Sun
Don't Worry Baby
Surfer Girl
All Summer Long
All I Wanna Do
Strange World
From There to Back Again
In My Room
Til I Die
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2015, 06:23:20 PM »

In answer to the thread title,   I assume you mean the BB song I listen to the most and is my favorite.    One song?   that's hard.     To pick one I'd have to revisit the 2 best albums, Today and Pet Sounds.   and after very careful consideration,  I would have to choose the soaring and  joyful expression of youthful hope and anticipation,  The musical triumph, Wouldn't It Be Nice.   
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2015, 07:33:04 PM »

Wouldn't it be nice...everything I love about the BBs is in that song

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2015, 12:18:47 AM »

Songs I rarely get tired of:

Do it again
It's OK
Darlin
Getcha Back

Favorite songs:

All This Is That
God Only Knows
Do It Again

As you can see, I sometimes get tired of my favorites.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2015, 03:33:50 AM »

The original question in this thread has ended up being answered by a lot of people as if it was 'Which BB song do you like the best'. The original question was phrased differently: "Which BB song is your 'Be My Baby'?" and "which one do you never get tired of".

I have to answer that in two different ways, as to me it's two different questions. I now never seem to get tired of listening to 'God Only Knows', but I wasn't instantly taken with it; it took quite a few plays for it to have that effect on me, and seemed to wash over me at first.

By contrast, we all know the story about the effect that Be My Baby had on Brian; he was supposedly so affected by hearing it on the radio while driving that he had to pull his car over, and he experienced an instant rush of astonishment at how good the track was which got stronger and stronger as the track was still playing. Has any Beach Boys track had THAT effect on you, the first time you heard it? That's a different question to answer.

For me, two Beach Boys tracks had that effect on me the first time: You Still Believe In Me and Heroes and Villains (the 45 version). The open-piano string and vocal intro to YSBIM hooked me instantly, then Brian's heartfelt vocal added to my interest. The unexpected chord change under the word 'fail' in the first verse lifted my interest higher, and when the Beach Boys came in on the refrain a few seconds later, it felt like the top of my head was coming off. I was so excited at the end of the song, I just wanted to hear it again.

Heroes and Villains was similar: the track hits you like a train going at 150 miles an hour, Brian is belting out a tremendous vocal, descending over an octave as he goes, and garnering accompaniment from one of the Beach Boys' most brilliant barbershop backing vocal arrangements along the way. Then it all drops away for the chorus, this moody, thrumming, minor key Greek chorus masterpiece that sounds like a hive of angry wasps stuck inside a harpsichord, decorated and punctuated with the Beach Boys' percussive vocals. And then THAT's gone too, everything fading back to a single electromechanical organ drone — before the original verse backing track bursts back in, blowing you away again. If that wasn't already enough to hook you (it was for me), there are a couple of passages featuring extraordinarily beautiful, economically written vocal harmonies before coming to a dead-air dead stop that had me wondering for a second if my CD player had stopped working, before the track plays out on that evil-sounding, droning chorus again. I think I played the track four times in a row the first time I heard it. I couldn't get enough of it for a few days, for sure.

I think a lot of posters here have experienced that excitement of wanting to play Beach Boys tracks over and over after hearing them — perhaps oddly, that has also happened to me with 'Catch A Wave' and (true confession time) 'Johnny Carson' — but not the very first time I heard them, so for me they don't qualify for this thread. So who else can tell a tale of completely being blown away by a Beach Boys track on *very first listening*, just like Brian with Be My Baby?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx