gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:52:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: L.A. (Light Album) Radio review/discussion  (Read 8331 times)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »

<<And I am sorry, but I really want to hear the fully mixed version of Calender Girl. Brian himself was very happy with it!>>

You and me both, pal...
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 11:54:19 AM »

Dang, I want me one of those horse t-shirts.  Dellydel?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »

ESQ's David Beard joined me on today's "The Vintage Rock & Pop Shop" to discuss the group's 1979 "L.A. Light Album". Here is that interview/discussion..minus the songs, naturally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fPyPZkorjw

Just listened to this and wanted to say I enjoyed it tremendously. Nice work to you and David.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Nicko1234
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »

I`d like to join in the congratulations for this interesting piece. Nice to see one of the rarely discussed albums being given its due.

I have to say though that while I agree with many of the opinions offered, I still can`t see the love for Constant Companion. To me, this is one of the most dated sounding recordings that any of the band ever did. There were numerous Beach Boys originals that would have been a better fit for LA imo.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »

<<I have to say though that while I agree with many of the opinions offered, I still can`t see the love for Constant Companion. To me, this is one of the most dated sounding recordings that any of the band ever did. There were numerous Beach Boys originals that would have been a better fit for LA imo.>>

Dated in what way?  Dated now?  Certainly; it was recorded 37 years ago.  Would have been very fresh in early 1979.  Same Caribbean vibe as Goodnight Tonight from Wings.  Great stuff.
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 11:08:29 AM »

None of the guys played on the track; we used our own people.

So Bruce thought that it was SO important that this be a Beach Boys record, but didn't allow them to play on it? Just a weird story.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »

I find it interesting that David, who is brilliant in what he does, did not know the history of why HCTN was done as a disco record. Here is why the idea came to Bruce.

Bruce was working with Curt and California Music (Curt had taken over running that trademark). Curt had cut HCTN FOR California and was going to record it as one of their records. When Bruce became involved with the group again, he talked about this re-involvement with Curt and Curt suggested how great it would be to cut HCTN with the BB. To quote Bruce from late 1978:

I told Curt Becher, who is a guy who when he was a baby produced records for The Association like “Cherish” and “Along Comes Mary”, and then he had his own album … I told him I was going to work on the Beach Boys project. Curt and I had talked about cutting “Here Comes The Night” (for our own album), but he said that the Beach Boys should really be the ones to do it. So I approached everybody and I thought – “a Beach Boys disco record. Before anybody hears it, they’re going to hate it if they love the Beach Boys”. But if I’m right, when they hear it, they’ll realise that disco – in terms of the Beach Boys – is a lot different than disco in terms of Cerrone or Giorgio Moroder. It has to be because it’s the Beach Boys. So I decided, “Okay, I’ll talk it over with them”. Curt and I are co-producing “Here Comes The Night”. None of the guys played on the track; we used our own people. When it came to putting the vocals on, because it’s so much more rhythmic than you’re used to with normal Beach Boys vocals, Curt was a little curious as to whether they could sing the parts. But I’m telling you, I wasn’t surprised. They sang the parts … I’ve got it all done now, and it’s incredible. It’s nice to know that you can be in the record business for seventeen years, and have all these things change, and you can go into this style you’ve never sung in and (snaps fingers) you’ve got it. The first day! And it was really hard to sing. It was hard for me to sing ‘cause it’s so syncopated.

That is how the recording came to be. I always thought that the single version should have been on the LP to allow more time for other tracks, like Companion, etc.

Thanks so much for sharing this info.  I'd always thought the HCTN disco version was completely Bruce's idea, but it's possible that back in the day I had read what you posted and then later totally forgot about it, especially since his comments were made, and presumably printed, a number of months before the album was released.  What is your source for Bruce's late '78 comments?

I've never been a fan of disco, but I, for one, have always really liked the BBs disco version of Here Comes the Night, including the long version, and loved to blast it out on my car stereo back in 1979.  When doing so the song typically got a very positive reception, but people would usually give a funny look when I said it was by the Beach Boys.

BTW, today is the release date for Capitol's round two of BB vinyl album reissues, which includes LA Light Album.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:29:46 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »

There's a CM track - on the Passion Fruit CD, I believe - on which the basic format for the disco "HCTN" is very obvious.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »

None of the guys played on the track; we used our own people.

So Bruce thought that it was SO important that this be a Beach Boys record, but didn't allow them to play on it? Just a weird story.

Not only did the band not play on it, the first layer or two of bvs were laid down by Curt's people. Brian's not on it (in hospital at the time) and I seem to recall Dennis isn't either. He... wasn't too enamoured of the whole notion.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »

Wasn't the phrase, 'too macho-city,' used to describe Dennis in terms of why he wasn't on the track?
Nicko1234
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 08:39:55 AM »

Dated in what way?  Dated now?  Certainly; it was recorded 37 years ago.  Would have been very fresh in early 1979.  Same Caribbean vibe as Goodnight Tonight from Wings.  Great stuff.

Dated as in it hasn`t stood the test of time half as well as many other songs from that era.

Dennis wrote far better songs for Bambu and the other Beach Boys all also had superior originals. Constant Companion didn`t deserve to be included imho.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 12:29:08 AM »

But "It Won't Be Long" would've been incredible on L.A.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 07:18:03 AM »

Brian looks remarkably alert and healthy in those photographs, especially compared with the KTSA footage from only 1-2 years later.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »

Guess that's She's Just Out To Get You dropped from this one in favour of Constant Companion!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2023, 03:33:31 AM »

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so sorry to bring this up. In the media section I posted the following link that I found on youtube but since not everyone's looking into that part of the board I thought to put it here as well as it is of some interest.

KHJ Los Angeles / Beach Boys Playback Special 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_ppIoGsrk

This is a radio presentation of the "L. A. (Light Album)" with Carl talking shortly about each track. Enjoy.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2023, 07:33:20 PM »

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so sorry to bring this up. In the media section I posted the following link that I found on youtube but since not everyone's looking into that part of the board I thought to put it here as well as it is of some interest.

KHJ Los Angeles / Beach Boys Playback Special 1979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_ppIoGsrk

This is a radio presentation of the "L. A. (Light Album)" with Carl talking shortly about each track. Enjoy.

This is lovely. Thanks!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx