gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:34:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS TO REUNITE AT PLATINUM RECORD AWARD CEREMONY?  (Read 14532 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 08:55:11 PM »

but Brian and Mike are the two egos, I hope the two of them are ready to play nice.

The skeptic in me thinks that somehow, Melinda will have the final say in determining if and when Brian can go out to play...

I think you are right.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
XY
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 10:51:24 PM »

Quote from: Bruce Johnston
I'm flying to the Capitol Records event on Tuesday from Las Vegas and Mike Love will fly in from Reno. We will both ride together from Burbank airport to the awards ceremony. Also I'm really hoping that Dave Marks will be there.
FYI: Though I'm looking forward to being with Brian, Mike, Al and Dave, I'm positive that this will be the very last time any surviving Beach Boys will be in the same place at the same time.

Bruce Johnston
Albuquerque
June 9, 2006
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 11:30:25 PM »

'The last time ANY surviving Beach Boys would be at the same place at the same time.'

So does this mean Bruce and Mike won't be keeping each other company any more?

or does he mean ALL of the surviving Beach Boys together at the same time? Which would mean the Mike and Bruce show continues.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2006, 11:47:08 PM »

'The last time ANY surviving Beach Boys would be at the same place at the same time.'

So does this mean Bruce and Mike won't be keeping each other company any more?

or does he mean ALL of the surviving Beach Boys together at the same time? Which would mean the Mike and Bruce show continues.

I was about to point out the same thing. Based on Bruce's comment, we will apparently never see Mike and Bruce appear in public again, let alone play music together. I highly doubt he means this. There are a few possible explanations for Bruce's statement, some more likely than others:

1. He simply meant to say "all" instead of "any". I don't think this is it, though.

2. He is joined at the hip with Mike to the point that he considers he and Mike to be one Beach Boy.

3. He is simply using hyperbole to convey the trouble it takes to get all five of these people together  in one place at the same time, what with such "busy" schedules.

4. The only reason they are all getting together is because this is the easiest way to serve each other with a wide variety of lawsuits, thus they'll all walk away even more disgruntled and will never show up together again.

5. Despite the unclear probability of any Al-Brian live gigs or other joint projects as have been rumored/reported, perhaps Mike and Bruce are becoming a bit nervous that Al and Brian might do somethint together without Mike/Bruce, thus there is an attempt to try to convince fans that any Al-Brian activities have no chance of happening, thus the comment suggesting these guys will never again even be in the same place at the same time. I mean, assuming Bruce is counting he and Mike as a single BB, how would Bruce have any idea when or how any combination of Brian, Al, and David might show up somewhere together?

I think (1) is unlikely. (4) is pretty much a joke (I hope). So I think the reasoning behind Bruce's comment is perhaps mostly (3) with a bit of (2) mixed in and, perhaps, a tiny bit of (5) as well if you're into a bit of conspiracy theory.

Okay, I've confused myself now. I'm of course totally guessing/joking with all of the above. I have no clue about any of this. I thought I read just a day or two ago that David Marks hadn't been invited to this thing. (In which case Capitol inviting him is a good move).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006, 12:10:39 AM »

Bruce's comment confused me...as Al and Dave have gigs scheduled together later this year. BTW...David was invited by Capitol on Thursday...definitely a good move on their part.
MBE
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2006, 12:44:03 AM »

I think Bruce is hinting that he likes the sucide idea!
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 02:13:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure he meant ALL of them together, but I don't know what would make him say it. I was under the impression there had been a bit of dialogue between various parties working towards just that - this comment seems to indicate they didn't get very far. Bummer, maybe.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2006, 04:37:06 AM »

Maybe he was talking 'bout the surviving original members, say Brian, Al and Mike.
The last years I always had a feeling Bruce would like to see a reunion, but now with the reunion in a few days, he just turned around....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2006, 06:22:20 AM »

Quote from: Bruce Johnston

FYI: Though I'm looking forward to being with Brian, Mike, Al and Dave, I'm positive that this will be the very last time any surviving Beach Boys will be in the same place at the same time.

Bruce Johnston
Albuquerque
June 9, 2006

No matter how wacky the Beach Boy (Brian) at one end of the spectrum, or "down to earth" the Beach Boy (Al, Bruce) at the other end, you can always depend on one of them to make a head-scratching comment. Always.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2006, 08:45:30 AM »

BTW if they're celebrating "SOS" than you'll know what songs they would do. But anyway I'd like to hear them doing that stuff for one concert(-tour). Though to talk about that might be a little early....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2006, 09:28:32 AM »

Maybe Bruce is thinking of original BBs.  Though I'd vote for "all."

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2006, 09:50:06 AM »

BTW if they're celebrating "SOS" than you'll know what songs they would do. But anyway I'd like to hear them doing that stuff for one concert(-tour). Though to talk about that might be a little early....
Are they going to be performing on June 13th?  I thought it was just an award ceremony...I didn't think that they'd be performing together, too.  If they do, I sure hope it's filmed!  I would take the day off and go if it were a public event, but I think it's a private "invite-only" thing.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2006, 10:33:13 AM »

I'm fairly certain they will not be performing.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2006, 12:57:12 PM »

There is no plan to perform, unless something acapella is just done for fun. I think Bruce's comments are in response to Al's news stories claiming the group will reunite for a show. I hope these men find some serenity with each other before they kick the bucket.

It would be nice to see them cooperate to utilize their archives to the best commercial potential. There is a market, albeit limited for past live and unreleased studio material.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »

Are they going to be performing on June 13th?  I thought it was just an award ceremony...I didn't think that they'd be performing together, too.  If they do, I sure hope it's filmed!  I would take the day off and go if it were a public event, but I think it's a private "invite-only" thing.

With my last sentence I tried to make clear that I don't think they will perform. Sorry, if it wasn't as clear as I thought

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2006, 04:37:38 PM »

Maybe he was talking 'bout the surviving original members, say Brian, Al and Mike.
The last years I always had a feeling Bruce would like to see a reunion, but now with the reunion in a few days, he just turned around....

No he didn't.  He clearly said that he's happy to see all of them... he just doesn't think it'll ever happen again.  That doesn't mean he doesn't want it to, it just means that Mike has likely told him it won't happen again (or Brian). 
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2006, 06:08:06 PM »

Well, I hope we get to see a few pictures of this glorious event.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2006, 09:06:06 PM »

It would be nice to see them cooperate to utilize their archives to the best commercial potential. There is a market, albeit limited for past live and unreleased studio material.

Indeed. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2006, 09:34:56 PM »

Put me down for a DVD of the "Unplugged" sessions combined with "Best Of Washington 4th of July Concerts".

Watched "Catch A Wave" on Youtube today. More of the same thanks.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2006, 10:25:13 AM »

Small steps, folks.

The survivors will meet in public, exchange a few smiles and take lots of pictures. GREAT. Like Peter said, I hope it brings peace to these old men.

Performance-wise, I'm be more interested in archive material.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 09:28:55 AM »

No he didn't.  He clearly said that he's happy to see all of them... he just doesn't think it'll ever happen again.  That doesn't mean he doesn't want it to, it just means that Mike has likely told him it won't happen again (or Brian). 

Does anyone know if Al, Brian, Bruce, David, and Mike have ever been in the same room at the same time?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2006, 09:50:01 AM »

Does anyone know if Al, Brian, Bruce, David, and Mike have been in the same room at the same time?

Andy...that's a great question.

The answer is yes...but the period will probably surprise most people. All those guys were together at Brian's house during vocal sessions for "Long Promised Road" in '71. Other than that I think one was usually missing from the puzzle. The other occasion I can think of as a possibility was John Stamos' wedding in '99...I know Brian, Mike, Bruce and Dave were there...not sure about Al. Carrie Marks can answer this question definitively.  Bottom line...its only been a few times if its more than one.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2006, 10:35:13 AM »

Does anyone know if Al, Brian, Bruce, David, and Mike have been in the same room at the same time?

Andy...that's a great question.

The answer is yes...but the period will probably surprise most people. All those guys were together at Brian's house during vocal sessions for "Long Promised Road" in '71. Other than that I think one was usually missing from the puzzle. The other occasion I can think of as a possibility was John Stamos' wedding in '99...I know Brian, Mike, Bruce and Dave were there...not sure about Al. Carrie Marks can answer this question definitively.  Bottom line...its only been a few times if its more than one.

Were Carl and Denny at that 1971 session?  If so, it would mark possibly the only time all of the long-time BBs except Ricky and Blondie were ever together at one time...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 10:54:04 AM »

It might have been. Dave was obviously around all the guys a lot before Bruce was there, and Bruce was around them all a lot after Dave was gone...Dave and Bruce were together a lot after Carl and Dennis were gone...but the question is how many times were David and Bruce together while Dennis and Carl were still here...a few...but mostly at gigs when Brian wasn't there. Dave sat in with the guys at the Whisky in '71...not the first Whisky gigs...but the second booking that year...and perhaps Brian attended...not sure. Other than that it was probably the Surf's Up session at Brian's and maybe one or two social occasions...like dinner at Brian's house or something. We need Carrie for this and she's flying to L.A. with David today. I'll be with them tomorrow. Up on the roof.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2006, 11:16:45 AM »

Can you tell us a little more about this Long Promised Road session, Jon?  What circumstances led to Dave being there.  Or, I can just wait for the book.  What a glorious day it will be on the day of that book's release.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx