gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:53:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blondie on Wild Honey  (Read 7506 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »

New, official Soundstage clip appears on the YouTube ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF9k3I1sQSE
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:21:53 PM »

Nice, I do love those years of the band.  Still got it though the background vocals sound a little slick for Blondie's rawness.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:23:25 PM »

I see this was linked to a couple of pages back on the general Soundstage thread. My apologies!

That being said, nice to see a high-quality video of this performance. I watched Blondie perform the tune with Brian, Al and Dave in Boston a couple of years ago, and it was special then, too.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »

New, official Soundstage clip appears on the YouTube ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF9k3I1sQSE
Excellent! Great quality!

I hadn't seen that!

Thanks!  Wink
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 05:25:47 PM »

Kinda funny how there's more Beach Boys on that stage than the official touring band that owns The Beach Boys name.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:20:26 PM »

Don't forget Billy Hinche!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »

Wow!! I mean WOW!!!  Blondie on stage with Ricky again! And Billy on keys! Shades of London, 1972! Brian's making more use of Blondie than the Stones did!  Grin

Would love to see Rick making a few guest appearances during Brian's upcoming tour. And Billy too! And Al with his white suit (again) getting into it and enjoying himself!

Man, looking forward to seeing Blondie sing a few songs on stage again. Hoping for "Hold On Dear Brother" if it isn't too much to ask!

Brian, making up for lost time........making up for Blondie & Ricky's being absent for the C50.  Take that, Mike & Brucie!

Now.........where's Dave.  Paging David Marks! Would LOVE to see all these guys on the same stage together this year.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 07:01:36 PM »

Wow!! I mean WOW!!!  Blondie on stage with Ricky again! And Billy on keys! Shades of London, 1972! Brian's making more use of Blondie than the Stones did!  Grin

Would love to see Rick making a few guest appearances during Brian's upcoming tour. And Billy too! And Al with his white suit (again) getting into it and enjoying himself!

Man, looking forward to seeing Blondie sing a few songs on stage again. Hoping for "Hold On Dear Brother" if it isn't too much to ask!

Brian, making up for lost time........making up for Blondie & Ricky's being absent for the C50.  Take that, Mike & Brucie!

Now.........where's Dave.  Paging David Marks! Would LOVE to see all these guys on the same stage together this year.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Rock! Rock! Rock! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 09:36:07 PM »

this is gold. The various BB playing amazing versions of their classics; this is just a dream come true. The only thing better would be all the BB together in this venture. Blondie is rockin' on the solo.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 01:47:56 AM »

Agree. This is (as we say here in Blighty) the dog's bollox. My only addition would be a more relaxed setting, get rid of the seats, get a noisier crowd in… drag out those endings … crank up the amps…light up, pass out the beers… ROCK!!!!!!!

“We live in divisive times.”
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 02:40:51 AM »

My only addition would be a more relaxed setting, get rid of the seats, get a noisier crowd in… drag out those endings … crank up the amps…light up, pass out the beers… ROCK!!!!!!!

Sounds very much like the Crystal Palace gig version of WH from '72.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 02:54:03 AM »

Did they change the lyrics? In the studio version it's "Eat up, eat up, eat up honey" and here it sounds different, though I can't make out the actual words.

Blondie's still a great singer/performer! Glad the original version doesn't have a sax solo. Grin
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 05:02:03 AM »

.........and that guitar solo............awl- righty !!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »

Not a bit fan of his vocal. Great guitar solo, though.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »

I know this is going to raise the ire of the faithful here, but I like Blondie's vocals on this better than Carl's. Blondie has a rocker voice. Carl just sounds so strained on "Wild Honey" and , as a Speech Therapist, I cringe at the thought of him shredding his vocal cords trying to "rock out." I can barely listen to him sing it. Blondie's more raw natural voice fits much better, IMHO.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 09:59:16 AM »

I know this is going to raise the ire of the faithful here, but I like Blondie's vocals on this better than Carl's. Blondie has a rocker voice. Carl just sounds so strained on "Wild Honey" and , as a Speech Therapist, I cringe at the thought of him shredding his vocal cords trying to "rock out." I can barely listen to him sing it. Blondie's more raw natural voice fits much better, IMHO.
Can't totally disagree with that but it goes to show what kind of range Carl possessed. Blondie does seem to handle it with no problem whatsoever. Wonder how Al or Dave would do on W/H??

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »

Not to worry, Carl isn't shredding his vocal chords now

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 11:14:32 AM »

Not a bit fan of his vocal. Great guitar solo, though.

What's wrong with his voice?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »

If BW really wants to do "the rock n' roll album" next, ditch those smooth session player guitarists and get Blondie in there playing rhythm guitar with some occasional leads. Great filthy tone! Add David Marks & Fataar, "accidentally" remove some of Mertens' solo spots, you're sorted!

What are recording rates like in Holland?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:31:54 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »

This is amazing. I'm way more excited about and impressed by this performance than anything from the C50 Beach Boys reunion.

Blondie is a great addition to the band Smiley
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 04:17:34 PM »

You and me both!  Between the thin production on the stripped down albums (Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, and Friends) and Carl's "forced" delivery, I wasn't a fan of the song until I finally heard Blondie's take (which I LOVE!).  Seeing that the boys always referred to it as an R&B number, I'm thinking the Boys themselves preferred Blondie's more soulful take, which is why I suspect they gave him the vocal in concerts.  Carl is over all the best singer the band ever had but everyone had their particular strengths and that said, I think Blondie had the most "soulful" voice of the bunch.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 04:33:27 PM »

Great, great version. And that solo....gold.
bridencar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 06:09:59 PM »

Since Brian didn't tour in the early 70's is this the first time he's played on stage with both Rickey and Blondie?

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »

Can't totally disagree with that but it goes to show what kind of range Carl possessed. Blondie does seem to handle it with no problem whatsoever. Wonder how Al or Dave would do on W/H??

Carl recorded it in a higher key. They lowered it down for Blondie. 1990s-Carl would have sounded wonderful in this key. Cowsill sings it in the original key, if I recall.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 08:08:57 PM »

Since Brian didn't tour in the early 70's is this the first time he's played on stage with both Rickey and Blondie?

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I think all three of them were at a a benefit for Carl in the early 2000s.  Though they might not have performed together.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx