gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:46:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My First BB Concert/Your First BB Concert  (Read 21710 times)
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2015, 06:39:49 AM »

My Beach Boys fandom obsession began when I saw the Hawaii special as a 9 year old in '86.  Though I've collected a lot of their music, watched both the TV movies, read the Carlin book and the BW pseudo-autobiography, and generally consumed all things I could find Beach Boys and Brian Wilson since then, I've never seen them live.  That changes tomorrow night when I see Mike and Bruce in Mississippi.  My wife is an absolute saint to have gotten tickets for the two of us and to be willing to sit with me whilst I morph back into a 15 year old fanboy.  Grin

Here's the point of my post:

What can I expect from The Beach Boys tomorrow night?  If I were to stick my BB '85 CD insert in my jacket pocket, what are my chances of getting it signed?

-and-

What is the most lasting memory you have from the first time you ever saw them live?

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:12:05 AM »

I've never seen the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys, so can't tell you what that will be like.

My first concert was September 27 or 28, 1968, at Melodyland, a theater in the round in Anaheim, California, across the street from Disneyland (I got the dates from Bellagio 10452). I went with my friend Dean who was also a major Beach Boys fan. There weren't many of us around by then. The opening acts were the Grass Roots and Sweetwater. My only real memories are the guys wearing white suits (which I could be imagining) and the fact that I didn't like the Grass Roots at all (I'm sure about that).

Edit: And I think they played "Friends" and "Wake the World".
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:34:40 AM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 08:10:02 AM »

Beach Boys - Wembley Arena, London, 6/6/80

Mike & Bruce - Claremont Landscape Garden, Esher, 7/26/03

Brian - Royal Festival Hall, London, 1/27/02

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:15:37 AM »

WOW!  I'd have guessed something n the 60s/eraly 70s for your first BBs concert

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »

Why ?

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 08:27:55 AM »

Saratoga Springs, NY circa 1983. I would have been 7.

No recollection aside from Bruce singing "Disney Girls".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »

Why ?

No real reason, other than your age, your noted fandom. Maybe I need to read your bio before saying anything else

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:49 AM »

I know shitloads about Butch Cassidy (the real one) too... but I wasn't around 1894-1908.  Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 08:40:34 AM »

I know shitloads about Butch Cassidy (the real one) too... but I wasn't around 1894-1908.  Smiley

There's some glimmers of insight in that

WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 08:52:33 AM »

Saratoga Springs, NY circa 1983. I would have been 7.

No recollection aside from Bruce singing "Disney Girls".

I'm hoping to hear that particular song tomorrow night.  Heard it for the first time when TWOTS compilation came out.  I immediately latched on to that song, I love the background harmonies and Bruce does a great lead vocal on it.

WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »

AGD, any particular standout memories from any of those 3?  Did the '80 concert have an effect on the intensity of your research of the band?

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 09:25:57 AM »

The (real) Beach Boys-1966

Brian Wilson-mid 70's-don't remember the exact date. To be abundantly clear, yes, he was with The Beach Boys.

Since I don't subscribe to tribute bands, I never raided the piggy bank to go see the M & B shew nor do I ever intend to. Lost all interest in the touring band after Carl and Dennis passed away. Brian's band? Whenever I can do so.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:36:44 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »

August 5, 1978 at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD.  I was barely 7 years old.  The neighbor lady in the apartment upstairs knew I was totally into the BB and asked my Mom if she could take me after her date stood her up.  I was in heaven.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/1978/merriweather-post-pavilion-columbia-md-33d1d405.html

Most recent:  June 2, 2012 at the Hollywood Bowl.  At almost 41 years old, I nearly cried.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2012/hollywood-bowl-hollywood-ca-5bdfe3b0.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:54:24 AM by job » Logged
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »

Schaeffer Stadium, Foxboro MA...August 73
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »

If I were to stick my BB '85 CD insert in my jacket pocket, what are my chances of getting it signed?

Chances are zero unless you paid an extra billion dollars for the "VIP" setup.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »

November 18, 1973. Winterland Ballroom/Arena, San Fransicko, California.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/rock-and-roll-band-the-beach-boys-perform-onstage-in-news-photo/73987382  

ALL of the 70's concerts were the best for me. Especially Beachago in 1975.

Winterland, San Francisco: Beach Boys, Three Man Army (November 18, 1973). First Beach Boys concert.

Sacramento Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento: Beach Boys, Three Man Army (November 21, 1973)  Still have my concert poster for this one.

Day On The Green #1, Oakland: Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (June 8, 1974).

Day On The Green #2 & 3, Oakland: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Band, Joe Walsh, Jesse Colin Young (July 13 & 14, 1974) (Still have my big yellow poster for this).  Ontario Motor speedway with The Boys was scheduled for August 3, 1974 - bought some drinking glasses with the BB logo on them commemorating the event that was eventually cancelled.

National Exhibition Hall, Sacramento: Beach Boys, Dec. 21, 1974

Day On The Green #1, Oakland: Chicago, The Beach Boys, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Bob Seger (May 24, 1975). (Still have my poster and concert booklet for this). One of my all time favorites.

Day On The Green #5, Oakland: The Beach Boys, America, Elvin Bishop, John Sebastian, Eureka. (July 2, 1976) Brian's back. Still have my concert booklet for this.

Cow Palace, San Francisco: The Beach Boys, (December 28, 1977)

Day On The Green #1: The Beach Boys, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Elvin Bishop, Norton Buffalo (May 28, 1978).

1980's were a blur.

Candlestick Park, San Francisco 1983 or 1984. Sacramento State Fair and a couple of concerts at the Concord Pavilion, Concord, CA.

Old Waldorf, San Francisco CA. Carl Wilson solo show in 1981. First show, met with Carl between shows and stayed for part of the second.

1990's

Concord Pavilion - two or three Beach Boys concerts early to mid- 1990's. Concord Pavilion, Concord CA. Last time I saw the Beach Boys before Carl died.

2,000's - pretty much all of Brian's solo shows (including Paul Simon Tour, Pet Sounds (w/Al & Ricky) & Smile and TLOS) in the Bay Area up until two years ago.

Two Al shows - one at Great America Santa Clara and one at Big Sur. And a brief one in Berkeley.

C50 concert, Beach Boys in Berkeley, CA., June, 2012.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:11:16 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 10:58:55 AM »

AGD, any particular standout memories from any of those 3?  Did the '80 concert have an effect on the intensity of your research of the band?

1980 - my enjoyment was compromised by some rather unpleasant internal Stomp politics that were going on: Dennis was a slightly raddled joy, Brian really shouldn't have been there, but we loved him anyway.

2003 - wasn't overly impressed, and that wasn't due to the torrential rain. Formula meat & spuds gig. Baker was somehow irritating and even then the drummer wasn't cutting it.

2002 - that Brian was even there overrode pretty much any other considerations and/or shortcomings. The waves of love rolling from the auditorium and over the stage were so palpable as to be almost visible. The music was almost incidental.

As for affecting the research, nothing really affected that. It's what I do when I'm really, really interested in something. It's what I do with Butch, Saucy Jacky, Silver Billy Beldham and DW Griffith as well. I have to know as much as is humanly possible.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »

August 13, 1987. California Mid-State Fair, Paso Robles California. 

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »

My first Beach Boys show... opening act was supposed to be Billy Joel but he left the tour.  Then, The Bellamy Brothers ("Let You Love Flow" was on the charts) but they were, apparently, in a car accident.  So, opening was a local act, the Watermelon Rhythm Band.  Glen Oak Park... Peoria, Illinois... August 9, 1976

It was, essentially, the greatest Beach Boys summer for me.  We had the gas crisis (even though I could fill up the family 1970 Kingswood Estate Station Wagon for 20 bucks a tank), Saturday Night Live kicked into high gear with an NBC TV Special about The Beach Boys and Jimmy Carter had started to run for President.  At the time the Beach Boys had been at it for 15 years and some of us said they looked it.  But the girls still liked Dennis, Mike was funny and cool, Al was mellow and cool, Carl was just so cool and, gee, Brian was back.  It was comeback time for the band; we’d worn out our 8 tracks of those eternal Endless Summer and Spirit of America albums just in time for 15 BIG ONES.  So me and my buddies Doug Workman and Dave Garriott each bought copies of that album and I made a cassette tape and we cruised up the highway from Decatur to Peoria, llinois in Dave’s convertible 1968 Camaro, singing along to the Boys new radio hits…“It’s OK”… Chuck Berry’s “Rock & Roll Music”… and a couple of great sing-alongs called “Back Home” and “Palisades Park.”  Eventually, we got there, still singing along to that new album… and when we turned it off, more Beach Boys hits blasted through the AM radio courtesy of the Big 89… WLS… from Chicago…”Surfin’ USA”… “Fun Fun Fun”… Help Me Rhonda”… and Dave’s favorite, “Do It Again.”

Sometime in the early evening, as the free-spirit warmth of that 1970s sun began to set, the Beach Boys took the stage.  Backed by a band equal to any on the road those days, they exploded through a two hour set of their biggest and their newest hits.  Carl, Dennis, Al and Mike were on stage.  No Brian.  They opened with California Girls, Darlin' and Susie Cincinnati. Classics like God Only Knows, Little Deuce Coupe and Catch A Wave mixed with new tracks like A Casual Look and Palisades Park.  Al sang Back Home, instead of Brian.   

Mike and Dennis seemed to be rivals for front man status.  Dennis won the joke battle... Mike was doing Johnny Carson-like quips but Dennis was just a cool guy on stage, in with us on the joke.  He was like one of us, the way he related to the audience; he just happened to be on stage.  At one point he waved a champagne bottle.

For the climax,  Dennis came out from the drums, in front, pushing the crowd into a rock and roll frenzy with Mike by his side, both of them stalking the stage, whipping us young punks into near hysteria. and suddenly the dam breaks.  The Beach Boys’ home stretch… the BIGGEST hits, one after another… all of us standing, cheering, shouting, singing as the hits keep coming… Mike a whirling dervish out front like a manic Mick Jagger… Dennis beating the hell out of his drum kit like an angry Phil Spector record come to life, Carl and Al’s driving, churning surf guitars charging through the song and ripping through the speakers… Help Me Rhonda… Wouldn’t It Ne Nice…I Get Around… Good Vibrations… Surfin USA…  a pause for the girls, for You Are So Beautiful... then Dennis says,  "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Beach Boys..." and goes back to the drum kit.  Barbara Ann… Rock & Roll Music… Fun Fun Fun…

And then it was all over.  Dave and Doug and I looked at each other in that sweltering 1976 summer night, sweat cooling thanks to a midnight Peoria wind and all we could talk about were the Beach Boys.  And California.  Definitely California.  We were all gonna move to Los Angeles… the summer after graduation.  We’d live out there and hang with the Beach Boys.

Great memories.
Set list:
California Girls
Susie Cincinnati
Palisades Park
Little Deuce Coupe
Catch A Wave
Darlin
God Only Knows
It's OK
A Casual Look
Sail On Sailor
Surfer Girl
California Saga: California
Heroes & Villains
I Get Around
Be True to Your School
In My Room
Help Me Rhonda
Back Home
Sloop John B
Surfin USA
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Good Vibrations
You Are So Beautiful
Barbara Ann
Rock & Roll Music
Fun Fun Fun
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »

My first Beach Boys show... opening act was supposed to be Billy Joel but he left the tour.  Then, The Bellamy Brothers ("Let You Love Flow" was on the charts) but they were, apparently, in a car accident.  So, opening was a local act, the Watermelon Rhythm Band.  Glen Oak Park... Peoria, Illinois... August 9, 1976

It was, essentially, the greatest Beach Boys summer for me.  We had the gas crisis (even though I could fill up the family 1970 Kingswood Estate Station Wagon for 20 bucks a tank), Saturday Night Live kicked into high gear with an NBC TV Special about The Beach Boys and Jimmy Carter had started to run for President.  At the time the Beach Boys had been at it for 15 years and some of us said they looked it.  But the girls still liked Dennis, Mike was funny and cool, Al was mellow and cool, Carl was just so cool and, gee, Brian was back.  It was comeback time for the band; we’d worn out our 8 tracks of those eternal Endless Summer and Spirit of America albums just in time for 15 BIG ONES.  So me and my buddies Doug Workman and Dave Garriott each bought copies of that album and I made a cassette tape and we cruised up the highway from Decatur to Peoria, llinois in Dave’s convertible 1968 Camaro, singing along to the Boys new radio hits…“It’s OK”… Chuck Berry’s “Rock & Roll Music”… and a couple of great sing-alongs called “Back Home” and “Palisades Park.”  Eventually, we got there, still singing along to that new album… and when we turned it off, more Beach Boys hits blasted through the AM radio courtesy of the Big 89… WLS… from Chicago…”Surfin’ USA”… “Fun Fun Fun”… Help Me Rhonda”… and Dave’s favorite, “Do It Again.”

Sometime in the early evening, as the free-spirit warmth of that 1970s sun began to set, the Beach Boys took the stage.  Backed by a band equal to any on the road those days, they exploded through a two hour set of their biggest and their newest hits.  Carl, Dennis, Al and Mike were on stage.  No Brian.  They opened with California Girls, Darlin' and Susie Cincinnati. Classics like God Only Knows, Little Deuce Coupe and Catch A Wave mixed with new tracks like A Casual Look and Palisades Park.  Al sang Back Home, instead of Brian.   

Mike and Dennis seemed to be rivals for front man status.  Dennis won the joke battle... Mike was doing Johnny Carson-like quips but Dennis was just a cool guy on stage, in with us on the joke.  He was like one of us, the way he related to the audience; he just happened to be on stage.  At one point he waved a champagne bottle.

For the climax,  Dennis came out from the drums, in front, pushing the crowd into a rock and roll frenzy with Mike by his side, both of them stalking the stage, whipping us young punks into near hysteria. and suddenly the dam breaks.  The Beach Boys’ home stretch… the BIGGEST hits, one after another… all of us standing, cheering, shouting, singing as the hits keep coming… Mike a whirling dervish out front like a manic Mick Jagger… Dennis beating the hell out of his drum kit like an angry Phil Spector record come to life, Carl and Al’s driving, churning surf guitars charging through the song and ripping through the speakers… Help Me Rhonda… Wouldn’t It Ne Nice…I Get Around… Good Vibrations… Surfin USA…  a pause for the girls, for You Are So Beautiful... then Dennis says,  "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Beach Boys..." and goes back to the drum kit.  Barbara Ann… Rock & Roll Music… Fun Fun Fun…

And then it was all over.  Dave and Doug and I looked at each other in that sweltering 1976 summer night, sweat cooling thanks to a midnight Peoria wind and all we could talk about were the Beach Boys.  And California.  Definitely California.  We were all gonna move to Los Angeles… the summer after graduation.  We’d live out there and hang with the Beach Boys.

Great memories.

Steve, that is a fantastic story!

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »

First Brian concert: Pet Sounds at the Beacon theatre in November 2006 (the 21st I think.) My first concert period. Al Jardine as special guest coming out to play "Then I Kissed Her" and stayed on. I was in the balcony.

Second Brian concert: 7/16/08 at the Warner Theatre in Torrington, CT. Second row on the right side. Couldn't believe how close I was.

First Beach Boys concert: 5/17/12 at the Sands in Bethlehem, PA. Tickets brought as a birthday present for me (mine was just three days before) and my father (he turned 55 that year in July.) Second row. One of the greatest experiences of my life. Even though we hit very hard times (that we're still going through) just a week after, I will never forget this night at all.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 02:34:28 PM »

Either June 4th or 5th, 1986.  Mud Island Amphitheatre, Memphis Tennessee. 

I remembered the year because it was the first concert I ever went to, age 10.  It was of all things a field trip with my class, end of the year thing.  According to a cursory Google search, that's the date they played there so that must've been it.

Not sure if BW was in attendance, highly doubt it.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 02:49:17 PM »

My first Beach Boys concert was in Gothenburg in 2012. C50.

My first Brian Wilson concert was in Stockholm 2001. Pet Sounds tour.

My first Mike Love concert was in 2001. Greatest hits.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:53:06 PM by Douche Of Earl » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »

Riverfront Coliseum  Cincinnati Ohio November 1976.
I believe this was a few days before Brian was on Saturday Night Live.
They had the big sailboat  on stage. They played "Airplane" and I think "Love Is A Woman."
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »

I've only attended 3 shows:

The Beach Boys C50 - April 29, 2012 at the Raleigh Amphitheater in Raleigh, NC

The Beach Boys C50 - July 3, 2012 at the Farm Bureau in Virginia Beach, VA

Brian Wilson - September 27, 2013 at Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, FL
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: