gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681494 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 03:57:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (in)Sanity Check - Right Time  (Read 3186 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »

Listening to Brian and Al's new song Right Time, I keep hearing the chorus from Lay Down Burden. Anyone else here that, or am I losing my mind.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 09:39:25 PM »

Others have mentioned it too.  You're not crazy.  It's actually just a minor similarity in the melody in the chorus in my opinion...
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »

Yep thats where I hear it. Especially after going back and listening to the chorus in vocals only mode.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 12:35:27 AM »

Listening to Brian and Al's new song Right Time, I keep hearing the chorus from Lay Down Burden. Anyone else hear that, or am I losing my mind.

Those two possibilties don't exclude each other, really, so I can't tell on the second Cheesy while I'm with you on the first one. If I had the time, I'd try to synch the two chorusses... Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 01:38:52 AM »

"Right Time" and "Lay Down Burden" are similar in a "Girls On The Beach sounds like Surfer Girl" way, but lesser so.

Right Time kicks in its own way, but Lay Down Burden is one of my top favorite BW solo tracks. It's just Brian Wilson at his gut wrenchingly saddest.

And knowing the song is inspired by Brian's baby brother being taken from this world long before his time....  Embarrassed

Right Time, while a good song, just seems like lyrical "fluff" to me.

Right, could it be the right, could it be the right time for getting together?

No mas, por favor.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »

If I had the time, I'd try to synch the two chorusses... Smiley

I had a small bit of time and did this. I had to slow down the chorus of the Right Time, but they both seem to fit together perfectly.

https://soundcloud.com/robert-borszich/the-right-time-to-lay-down/s-isluM

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »

I had a small bit of time and did this. I had to slow down the chorus of the Right Time, but they both seem to fit together perfectly.

Nice segue there, Rab! 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 10:32:23 AM »

The last 3 seconds sound great together.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »

I KNEW something sounded familiar.

I agree it's not spot on or anything but I felt like I had heard the song before.
Unintentional i'm sure. It's just a progression / songwriting formula Brian and his cowriters lean towards I think.

Both are great songs IMO
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 06:05:13 PM »

Initially, all I could hear was was "Lay Down Burden" in "Right Time", but after enough listens it's its own song. There's definitely a similarity, though.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 07:30:55 AM »

Listening to Brian and Al's new song Right Time, I keep hearing the chorus from Lay Down Burden. Anyone else here that, or am I losing my mind.

First thing that stuck me on the chorus was the similarity to Lady Lynda, (i.e. "Ooh lady won't you lie lady..." )

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 10:50:26 AM »

Great, rab!!! LOL

Reminds me way back when I played in a band, and once prior to a gig we were asked to do a Doors song. We chose "Break On Through", and when we rehearsed it, the bass riff reminded us so much of "Tequila" that we decided to do it as a medley, with "Tequila" popping up between the instrumental break and the last verse, just to annoy the Doors die-hards. Cheesy

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »

People say this, but I (minority here, I know) never cared for "Lay Down Burden" - kind of a listless track to me -- but I like this one quite a lot.  So something's different.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 11:43:44 AM »

People say this, but I (minority here, I know) never cared for "Lay Down Burden" - kind of a listless track to me -- but I like this one quite a lot.  So something's different.
The vocal presence of Mr Jardine, perhaps ?  Smiley
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 12:21:58 AM »

The vocal presence of Mr Jardine, perhaps ?  Smiley

Dunno - There's two versions of "Santa Ana Winds", both feature Al's vocals, and for me the first version is gravel and the released version bliss (save for the spoken intro). And that's the same song even. In the case of LDB/Right Time I probably would have preferred whichever I heard first, and the other one would be the "heard that one before".

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 06:19:40 AM »

I can't keep these two songs separate in my head-- "Right, could it be the right, could it be the right time, to lay my burden down"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx