gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:32:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian is Doing an AMA on Reddit Today at 1pm PST  (Read 17881 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2015, 12:28:41 AM »

I was gonna ask him what his favorite deli sandwich is, as we share a love of delis.

If I ever meet him in person, though, my question would be more along the lines of

'As a songwriter, how do you realize when enough is enough for an album? Say you're on a hot streak, and keep writing more and more songs...how do you get to the point where you realize the album itself is done?'

I'd be interested in his response in light of what happened with Smile, and also because that is a MAJOR problem I have. I've recorded over 500 songs in the past 14 years (not a typo...the 250+ songs I've uploaded on both my websites don't even include the boxes of tapes I have that I never actually uploaded or finished), and been seriously working on this album for close to two years, and it really is finished, but the problem is is that I keep writing, and I end up  putting the previous stuff on the backburner.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2015, 12:30:46 AM »

that AMA totally won the internet. Definitely one of the best interviews of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Did anybody else get a hilarious mental image of Brian Wilson kicking the poo out of a swarm of duck-sized horses?

No mas, por favor.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2015, 04:35:20 AM »

I was gonna ask him what his favorite deli sandwich is, as we share a love of delis.

If I ever meet him in person, though, my question would be more along the lines of

'As a songwriter, how do you realize when enough is enough for an album? Say you're on a hot streak, and keep writing more and more songs...how do you get to the point where you realize the album itself is done?'

I'd be interested in his response in light of what happened with Smile, and also because that is a MAJOR problem I have. I've recorded over 500 songs in the past 14 years (not a typo...the 250+ songs I've uploaded on both my websites don't even include the boxes of tapes I have that I never actually uploaded or finished), and been seriously working on this album for close to two years, and it really is finished, but the problem is is that I keep writing, and I end up  putting the previous stuff on the backburner.

Interesting. Going to apologize in advance as I'm going to go a little off track here. I think at some point you have to let it go. I am finishing up my second novel, for release this May. I am certain I could tinker with it and add good stuff until the end of time, but I have no choice in the matter as there is a deadline. It's been bugging me a bit because every time I work with it I come up with a line or two that adds something. But at some point you have to let go, or you'll end up with stuff like making Greedo shoot first in the original Star Wars because you've over thought it too much. Your situation might be a little different because you are creating new works that are part of a body of work, but I still say, slam the door on one album and then move on to the next! Smiley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:42 AM »

"Art is never finished, only abandoned" 3D

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2015, 07:31:41 AM »

I agree, I think the internet's profound love and appreciation of Mike Love will make for a quality AMA... and think of the gossip we could get out of Al Jardine!

I have the feeling an AMA with Al would be a bit of a letdown, unless Range Rover A1 was involved - she'd probably have some questions that could get him to say stuff a little off the beaten track.

But an AMA with Mike would be, for starters, one of the funniest AMAs ever.  Remember, you could ask him anything at all and he would have to answer...."no comment" is not acceptable at Reddit.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2015, 07:42:48 AM »

I agree, I think the internet's profound love and appreciation of Mike Love will make for a quality AMA... and think of the gossip we could get out of Al Jardine!

I have the feeling an AMA with Al would be a bit of a letdown, unless Range Rover A1 was involved - she'd probably have some questions that could get him to say stuff a little off the beaten track.

But an AMA with Mike would be, for starters, one of the funniest AMAs ever.  Remember, you could ask him anything at all and he would have to answer...."no comment" is not acceptable at Reddit.

But, weren't there twice as many questions Brian didn't answer, as ones he did?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2015, 08:13:11 AM »

But, weren't there twice as many questions Brian didn't answer, as ones he did?

True, but if you do answer a question at Reddit, the, um etiquette there is that you can't say "no comment." And then again - Brian did answer about 30 or 35 percent of the questions.  When he does something like that on Facebook or someplace, it tends to be about 15% at best.

I was kinda tempted to get a "what question would you ask Mike at an AMA" thread going but I'm afraid some of the replies could get me thrown off the board. It'd be like throwing red meat to a bunch of Bengal tigers.  But anyway, this would be my question (riffing on the thread I started a while back):

Mike, suppose Dennis came back to life for one day and did five things. Besides pissing on Landy's grave and throwing the nearest bottle at hand at your head, what are the other three things he'd do?
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:53 AM »

Very happy to finally get to talk to my hero! It was awesome, and was nice to finally get lucky after the Smiley Smile and Facebook AMA.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »

So he never met John Lennon? Is that story Alice Cooper tells a put on, or does Brian truly not remember meeting him?
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »

So he never met John Lennon? Is that story Alice Cooper tells a put on, or does Brian truly not remember meeting him?

That Alice Cooper story was my first thought, as well.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2015, 11:43:08 AM »

Interesting. Going to apologize in advance as I'm going to go a little off track here. I think at some point you have to let it go. I am finishing up my second novel, for release this May. I am certain I could tinker with it and add good stuff until the end of time, but I have no choice in the matter as there is a deadline. It's been bugging me a bit because every time I work with it I come up with a line or two that adds something. But at some point you have to let go, or you'll end up with stuff like making Greedo shoot first in the original Star Wars because you've over thought it too much. Your situation might be a little different because you are creating new works that are part of a body of work, but I still say, slam the door on one album and then move on to the next! Smiley

Thanks for the advice...thinking about releasing an EP* in the meantime.

*Jesus...I'm really showing my age. Do they even USE that term anymore for a mini-album? LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »

It seemed like Brian was more gregarious and lively.

Part of me thinks he was just sitting there while someone else typed the responses (added embellishments by the transcriber). Another part of me thinks his medication was changed or something.

I know I sound cynical and I laughed my way through reading it, but it just didn't seem like the typical Brian interview of "yeah" "hm-hm".

Anyways it was really good and interesting and he still has good humor just couldn't help feel something was off.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2015, 11:57:26 AM »

Part of me thinks he was just sitting there while someone else typed the responses

Either that or Brian really thinks the name of his session drummer was Al Blaine.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »

Part of me thinks he was just sitting there while someone else typed the responses

Either that or Brian really thinks the name of his session drummer was Al Blaine.

Brian was there, so he knows that the Wrecking Crew didn't play their own instruments. Behind the guys with stage names like Hal Blaine who simply posed for photographs, there were the real musicians like Al Blaine!

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2015, 12:30:33 PM »

It seemed like Brian was more gregarious and lively.

Part of me thinks he was just sitting there while someone else typed the responses (added embellishments by the transcriber). Another part of me thinks his medication was changed or something.

I know I sound cynical and I laughed my way through reading it, but it just didn't seem like the typical Brian interview of "yeah" "hm-hm".

Anyways it was really good and interesting and he still has good humor just couldn't help feel something was off.

It's different when Brian is at ease. Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSy-p1Lejfw

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2015, 12:36:54 PM »

Man!  It's uncanny!   I too like my steak medium rare with catsup on top.     And people think  I'm weird for doing this.

kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »

Thanks for the advice...thinking about releasing an EP* in the meantime.

*Jesus...I'm really showing my age. Do they even USE that term anymore for a mini-album? LOL

Yeah, they're still called EP's and still quite common.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »

Micky Dolenz recalls a party somewhere in Beverly Hills or LA with Harry Nilsson, John Lennon, Brian Wilson and others. They had all dropped acid and Brian sat a a piano all night and just hit one note continuously through the entire party. It's very likely Brian may have no recollection of meeting John because he was so out of it during this period (which was likely 1973-74).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:28:27 PM by Bud Shaver » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »

It's different when Brian is at ease. Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSy-p1Lejfw

Yes! AGD has said this many times*-- that when Brian is at ease, he's articulate, verbose,etc. Maybe he was really enjoying the AMA format.

*Correct me if I'm wrong.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »

We have video evidence that he met Dave Coulier but he also denied that in the interview.... so....

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2015, 10:25:30 PM »

Micky Dolenz recalls a party somewhere in Beverly Hills or LA with Harry Nilsson, John Lennon, Brian Wilson and others. They had all dropped acid and Brian sat a a piano all night and just hit one note continuously through the entire party. It's very likely Brian may have no recollection of meeting John because he was so out of it during this period (which was likely 1973-74).

There was an episode of "Intervention" one time where the guy was the son of one of the guys from Grand Funk Railroad, he casually mentioned remembering in the 70's when he was a kid, his parents had wild parties all the time and mentioned Brian as one of the people that was frequently at them.  So I think he was partying pretty hard there for awhile (as if we didn't already know that).
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx