gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:31:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian is Doing an AMA on Reddit Today at 1pm PST  (Read 17964 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 04:10:35 PM »

A very big thank you to Zach for posting that transcript! Very much appreciated!  Smiley

Brian was in top form, a very cool session today.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2015, 04:14:39 PM »

I'm crushed that I missed this Embarrassed

I didn't know he was doing it until it was too late. I'm glad he seemed to enjoy it, though. I've been saying he should do an ama for a long time. It looks like it really was a match made in heaven. These are the best questions and answers from him I've seen.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2015, 04:21:35 PM »

He took the offbeat questions and answered them with humor, instead of what some may have expected. Brian again hitting home runs with some of those one-liners, I really enjoyed that. That's the fun stuff which i think it's great fans are getting a chance to see in these sessions.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2015, 05:13:11 PM »

Thanks a bunch Zach!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2015, 05:29:50 PM »

Who or what is a 'Jenny Death'?

Damn kids lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »

That was good. Very good and fun.

I hope the rest of the group do one.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2015, 05:42:12 PM »

I agree, I think the internet's profound love and appreciation of Mike Love will make for a quality AMA... and think of the gossip we could get out of Al Jardine!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2015, 05:46:04 PM »

Note that he answered even more food questions than he did here.
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »

I've read quite a few AMAs in the few years I've used reddit. Never seen so many food related questions posed, nevermind answered.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:00:36 PM by Nothgual » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2015, 06:07:06 PM »

I've read quite a few AMAs in the few years I've used reddit. Never seen so many food related questions posed, nevermind answered.

If Brian ever comes over for dinner, you know how he likes his steak. And don't forget the ketchup!
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2015, 07:40:07 PM »

For anyone having Brian over for dinner: this important question and answer seems to be missing from Zachrwolfe's very helpful transcript:

Derren_Browns_Parrot 25 points 6 hours ago
Hi Brian,
I like The Beach Boys. 'Get Around' is my favourite and I have fond memories of an holiday on The Isle of Wight listening to it.
What's your favourite ice cream?
[–]officialbrianwilson 37 points 6 hours ago
Strawberry

Brian may have left the building hours ago, but the questions are still coming in...

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2015, 07:49:16 PM »

Brian's my hero for many reasons, but gotta say...ketchup and steak?! Ugh. Then again, I'm one of those who feels ketchup should never ever touch beef. It is the culinary equivalent of Speed Turtle. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2015, 07:50:39 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:55:44 PM by zatch » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »

Thanks, Zach!   Man, so many great questions, so little time.  Better Q & A than last time, I thought.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2015, 07:59:52 PM »

A new answer for Brian's favorite movie!

"The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock because it had a sense of humor. Some guys car blew up and he got killed and it made me laugh for some reason running from the birds."

I'm in public and trying really hard not to burst out laughing.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:55:40 PM by zatch » Logged
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2015, 08:19:43 PM »

I think my favorite answer was regarding his pet peeve: "when people sing flat." Seems like such a perfect Brian Wilson response.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »

This is my favorite of Brian's recent Q&As by far.  That quirky charm is really shining through.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:37 PM »

OK! I think it's all there now.

I thought it was a good Q&A; I thought it was interesting that he said his favourite key was B, when on our Q&A, I'm pretty sure he said something else entirely LOL

Quote from: Radfahrer on January 25, 2015, 09:04:22 AM
What's your favorite chord?

Quote from: BrianWilson2015 on January 26, 2015, 11:22:28 AM
F sharp seventh is my favorite chord.

From a music theory standpoint, F#7 is the dominant V7 chord, and the second "strongest" sounding chord, in the key of.......B Major!  Grin

To really geek out on the theory part of it, in the key of B major, the F#7 has the most tension and also the most feeling of wanting to resolve. It's an unsettled sound with a characteristic tritone until it goes into its most expected resolution within that key, which would be back to the tonic B major. Tension followed by resolution is one of the hallmarks of trad harmony, and a very interesting choice of a favorite chord followed weeks later by a favorite key.  Wink

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »

One question that I would really like to ask and have answered (never gonna happen) is "what was the original piano part on "I'm Waiting For the Day" that the session musician made the "really great mistake" on to change Brian's mind and go with it instead? He would have to really be thinking clearly to come up with an answer on that one, or else, who knows, he might just rattle it off like it was fresh in his memory. The circumstances would have to be just so though. Huh

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2015, 10:27:27 PM »

A new answer for Brian's favorite movie!

"The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock because it had a sense of humor. Some guys car blew up and he got killed and it made me laugh for some reason running from the birds."

Yes!  I've always felt the same way about the Birds.  The whole thing is a comedy, but people didn't get it.  it's a hilarious movie.  Not quite as good as Norbit, though.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »

Q. if I were Brian Wilson and you were me, what would you ask?

A. I would ask you What does it feel like to have a number one record on the charts?

Q. What does it feel like to have a number one record on the charts?

A. It's a great feeling it's a great honor it's an achievement

This exchange was brilliant. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:28 PM »

OK! I think it's all there now.

I thought it was a good Q&A; I thought it was interesting that he said his favourite key was B, when on our Q&A, I'm pretty sure he said something else entirely LOL

There was some interview once where he answered his favorite color, twice, and they were both different colors. Smiley

SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:10 PM »

Man, that answer about his favourite movie is just too damn funny!!  LOL LOL
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2015, 12:14:54 AM »

He seems to agree in a way with Mike on the subject of drugs.

If I had known about this Q+A, I had asked him if he ever ate Currywurst. Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx