gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:19:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Revisiting an obscure historical Beach Boys event/location  (Read 4491 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2015, 07:27:06 AM »

Revisiting a thread from 2013: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15065.0.html

In which I mentioned an investigative piece I wrote about the photos that were featured on the European repackage of Today! and Sea of Tunes' Unsurpassed Masters, Vol. 19:

https://bonnevillemariner.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/the-story-behind-those-beach-boys-photos-at-saltair/

The water in the Great Salt Lake receded enough this year for me to make the ~2 mile trek out to the old Saltair site without sinking in quicksand.  Here are a few photos from last week:

The abandoned pavilion pictured in the 1968 photos was destroyed by fire in 1970.  As you can see, there's not much left of the place today aside from the salt swamps and those salt-crusted pile-ons.  Given their inaccessibility (the remote site is accessible only on foot and is often underwater), these have remained virtually unchanged.  I love this place because it's one of the only (if not only) site featured in published Beach Boys media that looks just like it did the day the photo was taken.  That piece of wood they're sitting on in the album art?  Still there, just underwater.  The wooden beam they were using to wedge out Hesterman's Cruiser?  Still there too.

Anyway, my purpose in bringing this back up here is to crowdsource a bit.  The photos were taken by photographer Cyril Maitland, whom I'd love to reach for an interview.  I've tried the normal channels (email, social media).  No dice.  Can anybody here hook me up?

Also, if anybody here can alert me to any needed corrections in my story (linked above), or enlighten me further to other facts surrounding that particular trip to Salt Lake City, I'd sure appreciate it!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:29:28 AM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 07:41:52 AM »

Drive up to Ashland OR this weekend  and catch him at the opening weekend of the Lithia Artisans market. 

Try him on Facebook

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:16 AM »

Drive up to Ashland OR this weekend  and catch him at the opening weekend of the Lithia Artisans market. 

Try him on Facebook

I wish!

I have.  No response yep and I don't want to overstep.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »

Great stuff
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:12:24 AM »

bonnevillemariner, where exactly was the old Saltaire located? I tried looking it up on Google maps and could only find the newer venue. Thanks.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »

It's just northeast of the current location.  The pile-ons are technically offshore, so getting to them is often tricky.  It doesn't surprise me that they got stuck out there.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:07:13 PM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »

Thank you bonnevillemariner!

I really like the pictures the boys took there. They should've shot an album cover there imo.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 12:19:42 PM »

Great pictures and interesting history. Thanks bonnevillemariner  Cool
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 01:20:18 PM »

This is super cool. Somebody should start a thread about obscure Beach Boys locations with before/after photos. I remember seeing someone post before/after pics of a unique-looking apartment complex from the Good Vibrations promo film. That was super.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 03:24:35 PM »

This is super cool. Somebody should start a thread about obscure Beach Boys locations with before/after photos. I remember seeing someone post before/after pics of a unique-looking apartment complex from the Good Vibrations promo film. That was super.

Believe that was guitarfool

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »

Is this the same place where they shot the movie "Carnival of Souls"? If so...extra cool!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »

I really like the pictures the boys took there. They should've shot an album cover there imo.

in a way they did....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Record-Album-Beach-Boys-California-Girls-Re-issue-/161642454417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a2a41d91

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »

Isn't that the place heavily featured in the movie CARNIVAL OF SOULS?
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »

Is this the same place where they shot the movie "Carnival of Souls"? If so...extra cool!

Yep.  Check this out (starting at about 1:55):

https://youtu.be/AIr-Sgy2aNE

Spooky place!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »

in a way they did....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Record-Album-Beach-Boys-California-Girls-Re-issue-/161642454417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a2a41d91

Yes, but this of course is not more than an amateur shot. With that location they really could've done a fantastic album cover. They just needed some pro-photographer. Could've worked for 20/20

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 12:44:45 PM »

Yes, but this of course is not more than an amateur shot. With that location they really could've done a fantastic album cover. They just needed some pro-photographer. Could've worked for 20/20

I believe the photographer, Maitland, was indeed a pro at the time.  What I'm still not clear on is the purpose of that shoot.  According to interviews I've done with the Hesterman family, the initial trip out to Saltair was ad hoc with only Al present.  That night it was decided that they would all go back out.  So the furthest in advance this second trip could have been planned was the night prior.  Which brings us to Maitland.  Why was he with them?  Perhaps he was in town to shoot the concert and they invited him to Saltair the next day for some impromptu photography?  That's one question I'd like to ask the man.  I'd also love to get in touch with Al, but that may be a pipe dream.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

I believe the photographer, Maitland, was indeed a pro at the time.  What I'm still not clear on is the purpose of that shoot.  According to interviews I've done with the Hesterman family, the initial trip out to Saltair was ad hoc with only Al present.  That night it was decided that they would all go back out.  So the furthest in advance this second trip could have been planned was the night prior.  Which brings us to Maitland.  Why was he with them?  Perhaps he was in town to shoot the concert and they invited him to Saltair the next day for some impromptu photography?  That's one question I'd like to ask the man.  I'd also love to get in touch with Al, but that may be a pipe dream.

Ok, then I am more catious. I didn't want to talk Maitland down. I should've said that they needed a concept for a cover. certainly Maitland was capable of shooting it then.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »

I made mention in the old thread about a posed shot of the group holding cans of 'Coke' at that location. The band have also mentioned they did song for a coke commercial based on 'Cool Cool Water'. I still wonder if there was any connection. As the campaign with the Beach Boys song never went ahead any reason for a group shot was lost.

Just throwing an idea out there.

Edit

The picture I mention is not one of the above. Page 46 of the Tobler book has it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:58:34 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 03:00:27 PM »

I made mention in the old thread about a posed shot of the group holding cans of 'Coke' at that location. The band have also mentioned they did song for a coke commercial based on 'Cool Cool Water'. I still wonder if there was any connection. As the campaign with the Beach Boys song never went ahead any reason for a group shot was lost.

Just throwing an idea out there.

Edit

The picture I mention is not one of the above. Page 46 of the Tobler book has it.

I recall that post and have wondered about it. Just one more facet of that trip that I'd love to clear up. Seems like every time I delve into it I come away with more questions than answers!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 06:25:32 AM »

Hey guys, I decided to finally burn a CD of the Wild Honey album plus extra tracks like stereo remixes, live performances etc. Now, I want to use some of the pictures that are talked about in this thread. Has anyone have bigger versions of them and could post them? I especially want to use the one where the Boys are standing on the  pyleons posted by bonnevillemariner
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:26:35 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx