gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680717 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 03:19:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did Brian go with the title Then I Kissed Her instead of Then She Kissed Me?  (Read 7896 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 01:55:55 PM »

are we talking the same Al Jardine here, of the Beach Boys, who Dennis once termed as "a man waiting for a bus"

I've never really understood that quote. Is there some subtext to the "man waiting for a bus" thing that I'm missing? Was it supposed to mean that Denny was bored and disengaged?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »

I've never really understood that quote. Is there some subtext to the "man waiting for a bus" thing that I'm missing?
This is good question, would like to know as well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 03:42:47 PM »

We're talking an Al Jardine lead - he's a man of action, a lover and a fighter, a kisser not a kissee, thus the lyrics were possibly changed to reflect his character.

I guess he's got a way with girls  Grin
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »

So, anyone remember when Brian sang "I Loves You, Porgy" without changing any of the words?

And, I'm not going to say anyone's a bigot or a homophobe for changing the words of a song around, but do we really have to be so paranoid about a few lyrics of a song?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 03:17:04 AM »

are we talking the same Al Jardine here, of the Beach Boys, who Dennis once termed as "a man waiting for a bus"

I've never really understood that quote. Is there some subtext to the "man waiting for a bus" thing that I'm missing? Was it supposed to mean that Denny was bored and disengaged?

Apparently, Dennis was describing how boring he thought Al was. No one seems to know when and where he made that remark.

I'm happy to be corrected but it sounds apocryphal to me. ...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 03:59:34 AM »

Ah, Then I Kissed Her! As many of you young people know, Al the folkie pushed hard for Brian Wilson to record this calypso classic, often calling the great man at two in the morning and in a drunken slur insisting “Ve jould record Zen He Kisshed Me.”

Brian misheard once, thinking Al had said, “Zen, gee, kissh me,” and was nonplussed at the quiet rhythm guitarist’s bold pass. Thus began a Three Stooges-like dialogue during which Lynda heard Brian shout, “I’m not going to kiss you, Al!” Lynda’s dark stare caused a quickly sobering Al to blurt out “He misheard!”

But Brian thought Al had said, not “he misheard,” but rather “He kissed her.”

Brian said, “Record it as Then He Kissed Her?”

Cutting his losses, Al said “Yes, Brian, Then He Kissed Her.”

Brian said, “Al that doesn’t make sense. It should be Then I Kissed Her.”

Cleverly, Al said, “Of course, Brian, Then I Kissed Her!”

“Marilyn?!!! Dammit Al!”

“No, Brian, I didn’t kiss Marilyn. Lynda was saying…”

“Lynda kissed Marilyn???”

“Well, just the once.”

When all was straightened out, of course, the Beach Boys recorded their brilliant rendition of the song. And that, my friends, is the inside story of how it became Then I Kissed Her – a typically complicated misunderstanding that the boys turned to gold.

LOL

It's about time this post was given some credit. Hank rules!

So, anyone remember when Brian sang "I Loves You, Porgy" without changing any of the words?

And, I'm not going to say anyone's a bigot or a homophobe for changing the words of a song around, but do we really have to be so paranoid about a few lyrics of a song?

To say nothing of Astrud Gilberto's definitive rendering of "The Girl From Ipanema"...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 05:25:18 AM »

Just after the release of BWRG, by complete luck I happened upon a radio broadcast featuring a lenghty interview with Brian, who was enthusiastic about the new album and firing on all cylinders (imagine a chapter from his book). The interviewer, who was very good, among many questions asked why Brian had not changed the lyrics to "I Loves You Porgy". Brian gave a very lively and heartfelt answer, and I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like: "So, I sang a love song to a man. I know there is still someone who thinks it's unappropriate, but I am not among them."

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 09:20:38 AM »

Just after the release of BWRG, by complete luck I happened upon a radio broadcast featuring a lenghty interview with Brian, who was enthusiastic about the new album and firing on all cylinders (imagine a chapter from his book). The interviewer, who was very good, among many questions asked why Brian had not changed the lyrics to "I Loves You Porgy". Brian gave a very lively and heartfelt answer, and I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like: "So, I sang a love song to a man. I know there is still someone who thinks it's unappropriate, but I am not among them."

Brian's version of I Loves You Porgy rules. I really like the idea of Brian not giving a f*ck about the "appropriateness" of that lyric.

It really shouldn't matter, though I'm not quite sure that same attitude would have passed muster in the '60s if, say, The BBs wanted to cover it. Or in the late '70s if Brian had tried to cover it with unchanged lyrics for Adult Child, I could see  potential band member pushback (beyond the pushback for covering a Gershwin song in and of itself).
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx