gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:10:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why did Brian go with the title Then I Kissed Her instead of Then She Kissed Me?  (Read 7862 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »

When the song was covered, and changed from a female to male perspective, I wonder why it was flipped in the way it was? I suppose the easiest answer to assume is that it makes the singer come off more masculine and in charge, the change of which may have seemed vaguely sexist to some if it were to happen now, but was probably not intended as such by then. I wonder if it was Brian's sole idea change the perspective of the song lyrics, or if anyone else (bandmates/Capitol) made that call or gave input.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »

pretty commonplace to reverse the male/female roles in a song, depending on what gender is singing. and I think it's like you said, the male was expected to initiate that first kiss... at least in those days. not to mention that's the way it went down in the original version by The Crystals

i love this rendition by The Derailers, released in 1999. and the gal does the kissin': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS92DQi4lYc
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:42:36 PM by bossaroo » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »

Well, since the original is called "Then He Kissed Me", if you were to change perspective to the male, the song would now be called "Then I Kissed Her".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:34:28 PM »

"Then she kissed me" is slightly, to my ears, inferior too, for the simply reasons that "she" has the "shh" sound which can sound bad into a mic, that the "she" rhymes with "me" which is ever so slightly clumsy, and finally "she" and "me" start with consonants and are ever so slightly harsher sounding that "I" and "her".

I doubt any of those elements were considerations at the time and they weren't in my mind either until I thought about it just now. 50 years on though I'd just like to say "good call" and encourage the band to record some more tunes along those lines.

Edited to correct "missed" to "kissed", to avoid any suggestion that the lady in the song swung a punch.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:05:57 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:51:31 PM »

We're talking an Al Jardine lead - he's a man of action, a lover and a fighter, a kisser not a kissee, thus the lyrics were possibly changed to reflect his character.

I imagine the lyrics would have been even less polite were Dennis given the lead.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:10:53 AM »

Never in the history of the two different sexes has "she walked up to him and asked him if he wanted to dance", and if she did, she sure as hell didn't kiss him after asking his sorry, no self esteem having ass to dance with her.

Sure, call it sexist or whatever, but it's the truth. I mean, maybe that happened, a couple times maximum, but it likely ended in suicide once he found out she only asked him to dance and to kiss her because she felt sorry for him. So he definitely didn't change the words to a song he was covering because of it.

And that is why the song is the way it is.

No mas, por favor.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »

Edited to correct "missed" to "kissed", to avoid any suggestion that the lady in the song swung a punch.

That would have been a great lyric too -"And Then She Punched Me" Cheesy

Two years later they obviously felt "Help Me Rhonda" was too wimpy and they recorded a "Help You Rhonda". Thank goodness they didn't stick with that.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 03:20:02 AM »

I think they briefly considered "Then I Kissed Me".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 04:58:05 AM »

We're talking the '60s here - Then I Kissed Her makes a lot more sense, especially as she would have had to walk up to him, etc etc. The lyric would have run into problems with 'then she asked me to be her bride' LOL! 'Then she asked me to be her groom' doesn't really cut it either.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:31 AM »

We're talking an Al Jardine lead - he's a man of action, a lover and a fighter, a kisser not a kissee, thus the lyrics were possibly changed to reflect his character.

I imagine the lyrics would have been even less polite were Dennis given the lead.

LOL LOL LOL

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 07:10:53 AM »

Same reason for Help You Rhonda.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:36:52 AM by BdubsandJenk =the only two things that matter » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 07:31:23 AM »

Rock band Kiss recorded it as Then She Kissed Me in 1977. Obviously not as good as the BB version, but not too shabby either.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 10:25:23 AM »

Rock band Kiss recorded it as Then She Kissed Me in 1977. Obviously not as good as the BB version, but not too shabby either.

Interesting... so yeah, it shows that there were two lyrical choices/roads that a male singer could take when covering this song.
I think Brian made the right decision, ultimately.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 10:26:24 AM »

Same reason for Help You Rhonda.

That's another head-scratcher. I wonder if they just got bored of singing it the original way, and if that was the trigger for the occasionally-sung alternate version.

Speaking of, I wonder how often it was sung live as Help You Rhonda?
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »

Interesting... so yeah, it shows that there were two lyrical choices/roads that a male singer could take when covering this song.
I think Brian made the right decision, ultimately.

I agree. Here's the 1977 Kiss version if anyone is curious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htQ2tO3xMIU
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 12:23:03 PM »

Ah, Then I Kissed Her! As many of you young people know, Al the folkie pushed hard for Brian Wilson to record this calypso classic, often calling the great man at two in the morning and in a drunken slur insisting “Ve jould record Zen He Kisshed Me.”

Brian misheard once, thinking Al had said, “Zen, gee, kissh me,” and was nonplussed at the quiet rhythm guitarist’s bold pass. Thus began a Three Stooges-like dialogue during which Lynda heard Brian shout, “I’m not going to kiss you, Al!” Lynda’s dark stare caused a quickly sobering Al to blurt out “He misheard!”

But Brian thought Al had said, not “he misheard,” but rather “He kissed her.”

Brian said, “Record it as Then He Kissed Her?”

Cutting his losses, Al said “Yes, Brian, Then He Kissed Her.”

Brian said, “Al that doesn’t make sense. It should be Then I Kissed Her.”

Cleverly, Al said, “Of course, Brian, Then I Kissed Her!”

“Marilyn?!!! Dammit Al!”

“No, Brian, I didn’t kiss Marilyn. Lynda was saying…”

“Lynda kissed Marilyn???”

“Well, just the once.”

When all was straightened out, of course, the Beach Boys recorded their brilliant rendition of the song. And that, my friends, is the inside story of how it became Then I Kissed Her – a typically complicated misunderstanding that the boys turned to gold.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »

I don't think that's what happened.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 05:58:39 PM »

That must be that "Hawthorne Humor" the kids are so fond of these days.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 09:00:27 PM »

Definately!  This song has so much swag, he's such a badass in the song of course he's the one doin' the kissing.  At the end he almost cries... but not quite because he's a badass. 

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 03:24:51 AM »

Because then it can turn into a song that is actually about cunnilingus. 

I am joking, but in the back of my mind I think it might actually be true.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 03:57:00 AM »

it works and sounds better. damn political correctness crap. 
I'd be disgusted if the BB's sang 'Then He Kissed Me'.
I'm not into that kinda sh*t I must say.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 08:07:32 AM »

Do you think the song would have not worked as well for 1960s audiences if the lyric had been "Then She Kissed Me" instead of "Then I Kissed Her"?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 08:11:31 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 10:12:42 AM »

The Beatles covered "Boys" without changing the gender.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 11:52:51 AM »

The Beatles covered "Boys" without changing the gender.

True. It's interesting to ponder if some of these changes (or lack thereof) were out of some sort of desire to avoid any possible homosexual or less macho connotation. Maybe that was less of an issue in the UK as opposed to the US? I don't in any way begrudge an artist for changing the gender of a song lyric; it doesn't affect my enjoyment one bit. But I do find it doubtful that the acceptance (or lack thereof) that a song might have received in the time it was recorded would have been a complete non-issue when it came time to cover it.

I'm certain The Boys (and The Beatles) weren't trying to make any sort of bold political statement, but that said, I think that lyric changes aren't/weren't done in a vacuum, any more than the Hang On To Your Ego changes weren't done in a vacuum. I tend to think that things happened (or didn't happen) for reason(s), even if they were perhaps subconscious.

In the case of this song, I think it was more of not wanting to rock the boat of the typical 1960s social norms of the boy being in control, which was in keeping with the original lyric.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 12:23:00 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »

"We're talking an Al Jardine lead - he's a man of action, a lover and a fighter, a kisser not a kissee, thus the lyrics were possibly changed to reflect his character".

are we talking the same Al Jardine here, of the Beach Boys, who Dennis once termed as "a man waiting for a bus"

all told the title gender change doesn't prove to make sense to me, because the body of the lyric--as originally sung by a girl--is of a passive nature, and you really can't bring closure with an overt act.  unless, as has already been said, the next verse is "And then she punched me"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx