gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 11:08:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy at SXSW  (Read 9199 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 11:10:19 PM »

Another review:

http://thecelebritycafe.com/reviews/2015/03/sxsw-review-bill-pohlads-love-mercy-starring-paul-dano-and-john-cusack-brian-wilson

I am really starting to look forward to this movie.

EoL

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 11:21:05 PM »

L&V is really something special.

Summer Dreams and An American Family are both laughable movies, but L&V really nails it. Thanks for posting these reviews.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 12:55:32 AM »

L&V is really something special.

Summer Dreams and An American Family are both laughable movies, but L&V really nails it. Thanks for posting these reviews.

With all that fuzz about L&V, don't forget H&M. No, not the clothing one.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »

Thanks for the posts and video/photo links, Shadownoze!  

I also attended Sunday’s premiere at SXSW; I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this:  At the post-screening Q&A, an older fan asked Brian if he had listened to the U.S. or British version of Rubber Soul (prior to making Pet Sounds); he confirmed it was the U.S. version.  So we can put that one to rest…

As for the film, it was excellent.  Some will carp about the wrong microphone or vehicle on an album cover or the wrong timeframe for this or that incident.  One scene will probably lead to yet another tiresome “Who killed SMiLE?” debate thread.  Some will lament that the other Beach Boys (aside from one) are not given much screen time or dialogue.

Never mind all that.  This isn’t a 40-hour “The Beach Boys Anthology” series that tells all sides of the band's career in painstaking detail.   It’s a movie about two periods of Brian’s life that reflect much of his personality, his creativity, his challenges, and ultimately survival and the healing power of love.  The 60s scenes capture well the creative explosion of music, the external pressure, the internal unraveling.  The 80s scenes are like a combination horror movie and love story, and are very powerful.   Both Dano and Cusack are excellent - clearly they did their homework - as is Giamatti as Landy.  Banks’ characterization of Melinda felt a little one-dimensional to me, but I might feel differently when I see it again.

Are the story/situations/relationships simplified, are some scenes possibly made up?  Yes.  Again, it’s a two-hour movie for general release.  But I am amazed at how much was touched upon.  And even more amazed and delighted at the amount of loving attention to detail that was captured…from recreated studios to tape boxes to shot-by-shot reenactments of vintage footage we’re all familiar with.   Bill Pohlad didn’t have to go to this much trouble to tell this story.  Special thanks to him and to Mark Linett and Darian Sahanaja for their excellent efforts at historical accuracy.

As a Pet Sounds-SMiLE era obsessive, I could not get enough of the 60s scenes in the studio and at Brian’s house.  There were times I was a little disappointed to be going back to the 80s, like “I want to see that story too, but let me stay here in the studio a while longer!”  It’s the next best thing to having more vintage studio footage.  I, too, am strongly hoping for additional deleted scenes in a Blu-Ray release, especially after reading descriptions of scenes cut.  

The more I reflect on it, the more I think having two actors play Brian was brilliant.  In many ways, Brian was a different person by the 80s.  It also makes it easy to know where you are when the film skips back and forth!

And the closing was such a perfect wrap up.

And more than once I was struck by how special it was to be watching this movie in the same theater while Brian himself was there.  And to marvel and rejoice that he is still alive, still putting out new music in 2015!  It is so gratifying that he is getting this attention while he is still alive.  And I couldn't imagine what it must be like for him to watch this film.  There were a few moments that elicited unintended laughter from some in the audience - people who don’t know his story, I assume – including one where he makes reference to auditory hallucinations.  I winced a bit, knowing Brian was in the audience, but reminded myself that he’s endured much worse than that!  I know I was emotionally drained by the end.

The Q&A after the screening was icing on the cake that I was not expecting.

Don’t miss it.  IMO there is finally a movie worthy of Brian’s story.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:17:58 PM by Les P » Logged
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »

Another glowing review:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Brian-Wilson-Fascinating-Story-Fuels-Winning-Beach-Boys-Pic-Love-Mercy-70344.html
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »

Don’t miss it.  IMO there is finally a movie worthy of Brian’s story.

Wonderful!

That's all we were all hoping for

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »

Les - thanks so much for both reviews. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »

So, so excited for it...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »

Yes, Les, the re-creation of the black-and-white Pet Sounds-era promo film was simply amazing, even getting the part where Brian and Carl switch places, the march into the swimming pool, Mike Love's lab coat...the attention to detail is truly impressive. But all that wouldn't mean a thing if not for the tragic, beautiful story of this unique musical genius. I think it's true what someone else said; if you make it to the end of this movie and aren't totally in love with Brian Wilson, you need to get your heart checked. It is a masterful tribute.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2015, 09:39:23 PM »

But all that wouldn't mean a thing if not for the tragic, beautiful story of this unique musical genius. I think it's true what someone else said; if you make it to the end of this movie and aren't totally in love with Brian Wilson, you need to get your heart checked. It is a masterful tribute.

Absolutely true, shadownoze.  It's a masterful tribute and an emotional ride.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 04:35:22 AM »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jtc6l_sxsw-2015-love-and-mercy-brian-wilson-john-cusack-and-bill-pohlad-interview_shortfilms?start=1
Another interview.

Oh, a question for those who've seen L&M: is there a scene where Landy and Brian are working on Let's Go to Heaven in My Car?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:42:08 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 05:49:38 AM »

Oh, a question for those who've seen L&M: is there a scene where Landy and Brian are working on Let's Go to Heaven in My Car?

Uh...no.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 05:55:39 AM »

Uh...no.

ok, someone here who saw the film at TIFF last yr said there was a scene depicting this.

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 07:34:17 AM »

Uh...no.

Actually there is. It's very brief and brutally emotional. You know that's the song only because of something Landy says, so it's easy to miss.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »

oh snap. would you mind PMing me to tell me what happens? thanks

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2015, 08:45:24 AM »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jtc6l_sxsw-2015-love-and-mercy-brian-wilson-john-cusack-and-bill-pohlad-interview_shortfilms?start=1
Another interview.

As out of touch as that interview was, there were some great answers in the midst of it all, even if it was a bit uncomfortable.  There are so many threads now that I don't know if this one's been posted, but I loved it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzuo5eBR2M
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx