gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680870 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:30:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy at SXSW  (Read 9196 times)
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:53:09 PM »

Just got home from the US premiere of Love & Mercy at SXSW. It was a big event, held at Austin's historic Paramount Theatre. A week ago, a journalist friend had texted me to let me in on the news that Brian Wilson and John Cusack would be in attendance at the screening. I had been planning to try to get a ticket anyway, but the assurance of the big guy's presence made me invest in a festival wristband.
I stood in line for about an hour and a half, and saw the black SUVs pull up and discharge the director and stars. My journalist friend found me and said he would save me a seat inside...turned out to be front row!
The movie is very, very powerful and I got misty-eyed several times as the Agony of BW was put on the screen. Paul Giamatti is pure evil as Gene Landy. Paul Dano IS the young BW. Cusack is fine in his part, but could have been less handsomely presented. Elizabeth Banks is lovely and adorable. All the casting is very good. The soundtrack is really effective, causing you to listen intently for the recognizable BW elements from which the score is assembled.
The audience was very enthusiastic about the film, giving it a great ovation.
The director and producer came out for Q&A, along with Brian and John Cusack. Nothing remarkable in the questions period, although one very zealous young fan set Brian up with a huge opportunity to plug No Pier Pressure, but Brian didn't take the bait.
The movie is a very good one. Denizens of this board may not, however, enjoy it quite as much as audiences who aren't familiar with all the ins and outs of the BB story. There is a LOT of jumping from the 60s to the 80s and back again and again, and I found myself wondering at what point the director would choose to end the story. He made a good choice.
Brian looked very good, as the photo I snapped below will attest. Pretty great day for me...and the "Beach Boys" will be in town on Wednesday, playing during the...uh...rodeo.

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113730964108/brian-wilson-and-john-cusack-do-a-q-a-following
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »

Thanks for the report. It is a great film, in all aspects.

And yes, Brian looks healthy and rather happy in those SXSW pictures.  Smiley
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 06:49:23 PM »

Just got home from the US premiere of Love & Mercy at SXSW. It was a big event, held at Austin's historic Paramount Theatre. A week ago, a journalist friend had texted me to let me in on the news that Brian Wilson and John Cusack would be in attendance at the screening. I had been planning to try to get a ticket anyway, but the assurance of the big guy's presence made me invest in a festival wristband.
I stood in line for about an hour and a half, and saw the black SUVs pull up and discharge the director and stars. My journalist friend found me and said he would save me a seat inside...turned out to be front row!
The movie is very, very powerful and I got misty-eyed several times as the Agony of BW was put on the screen. Paul Giamatti is pure evil as Gene Landy. Paul Dano IS the young BW. Cusack is fine in his part, but could have been less handsomely presented. Elizabeth Banks is lovely and adorable. All the casting is very good. The soundtrack is really effective, causing you to listen intently for the recognizable BW elements from which the score is assembled.
The audience was very enthusiastic about the film, giving it a great ovation.
The director and producer came out for Q&A, along with Brian and John Cusack. Nothing remarkable in the questions period, although one very zealous young fan set Brian up with a huge opportunity to plug No Pier Pressure, but Brian didn't take the bait.
The movie is a very good one. Denizens of this board may not, however, enjoy it quite as much as audiences who aren't familiar with all the ins and outs of the BB story. There is a LOT of jumping from the 60s to the 80s and back again and again, and I found myself wondering at what point the director would choose to end the story. He made a good choice.
Brian looked very good, as the photo I snapped below will attest. Pretty great day for me...and the "Beach Boys" will be in town on Wednesday, playing during the...uh...rodeo.

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113730964108/brian-wilson-and-john-cusack-do-a-q-a-following

Thanks so much for the update and the great photo.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »

Oooh.. so it goes on from the 60's to the 80's back to the 60's, etc etc.. noooow i understand why i was told there's no "second" part, i was confused.
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:28:16 PM »

Debbie, thanks for the kind words. Although I've been a fan of Brian and the Beach Boys for about 43 years, I don't post here very often. There's a school of thought among some that—if you don't post a dozen times a day—you must not be a real, knowledgeable fan. It's nice to get some positive feedback.

Here's a short video clip from the Q&A in which Brian is asked what his favorite scene in the movie was. His answer is very typical BW.

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113749469568/q-a-at-sxsw-brian-wilson-is-asked-what-his
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »

Thanks from The Professor, who enjoyed your cogent, measured report. Very generous to take the time to share all this, and congratulations on a big night for you.

Debbie, thanks for the kind words. Although I've been a fan of Brian and the Beach Boys for about 43 years, I don't post here very often. There's a school of thought among some that—if you don't post a dozen times a day—you must not be a real, knowledgeable fan. It's nice to get some positive feedback.

Here's a short video clip from the Q&A in which Brian is asked what his favorite scene in the movie was. His answer is very typical BW.

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113749469568/q-a-at-sxsw-brian-wilson-is-asked-what-his
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 08:18:08 PM »

Hilarious, Brian looks great Smiley thank you so much for the review and sharing the video shadownoze, take care.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 06:18:28 AM »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/03/sxsw-film-review-love-mercy/

"The way Pohlad orchestrates this strange dichotomy on-screen is about as beautiful and heartwarming as any of The Beach Boys’ best material. And when your favorite songs bubble up or weave through Atticus Ross’ unique score, the marriage of sound and screen will win your tears, your smiles, and your soul. To paraphrase Wilson, Love & Mercy … that’s what you need tonight."

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 06:44:11 AM »

I don't usually like biopics, especially if I already know something about the subject. I'm not a big moviegoer anyway. So I originally had no intention of ever seeing this film. The overwhelmingly positive response has won me over though. Now I'll be in the queue when it gets released.

Please delete my account
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »

Thanks for the post Shadownoze. I'm anxious to see this film with each new review I read.
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:54:05 AM »

Unreleased backgrounds, the director of the movie specifically said in the Q&A that he wasn't interested in doing a conventional biopic, where "you have to hit ALL the notable moments in the story of the Beach Boys." In choosing to focus on Brian during the Pet Sounds/Smile period and the Landy/Melinda period, the movie gives you a real sense of the tortured existence behind the beautiful music we all love. Many of the early hits and the shooting of the Surfin' Safari album cover, etc., are covered under the opening credits. The costume and set design is fantastic. You'll recognize every shirt Brian wears.

I purposely avoided asking a question during the Q&A because I know that 99% of the time, Brian is not engaged by a question. It occurred to me last night, though, that it would have been interesting to ask him, "How do you feel about Eugene Landy right now?" I really am not sure how he would answer.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 08:42:45 AM »

I posted this in another thread and didn't get a response yet.  So I'm asking here - in the last shot of the 2:30 trailer that was up for like 5 minutes, 1966 Brian is standing at the mic in the studio with a tear rolling down his cheek.  Since I probably won't get to see the movie until June, I'd love to know the context of that scene.  Please post in spoiler tags or PM me if necessary.  Thanks!

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 08:51:11 AM »

I purposely avoided asking a question during the Q&A because I know that 99% of the time, Brian is not engaged by a question. It occurred to me last night, though, that it would have been interesting to ask him, "How do you feel about Eugene Landy right now?" I really am not sure how he would answer.

That has to be a very complex and conflicted set of feelings for Brian, and while it would be interesting to hear his answer, I think putting him on the spot during the Q&A with that question would have been very uncomfortable.

There was a very uncomfortable moment during the Q&A when an older woman asked Brian essentially how did he let himself get into that situation with Landy. I assume she was not that familiar with his story, but still pretty insensitive. Brian just sat there like he had no intention of answering her while Bill Pohlad nervously looked over at Brian and very graciously began to try and answer her question. He did a great job with a very lengthy answer saying that they could not cover every event in his life and had to pick and choose in order to tell the story. It made me feel really bad for Brian but Bill Pohlad really did a great job sort of diverting the focus back to the making of the movie.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:08:01 AM by Gregg » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 08:58:08 AM »

I know I'm way too early on this but I do hope that the Blu Ray release includes deleted scenes (or maybe a longer cut) additionally a featurette or two.  Maybe a commentary track with both Dano and Cusack discussing how they approached their respective parts. 

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »

You just made my day with that video clip!  I am still laughing so hard I can barely type.  Only Brian.  (How many times have I used THAT phrase in my life?!)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »

You just made my day with that video clip!  I am still laughing so hard I can barely type.  Only Brian.  (How many times have I used THAT phrase in my life?!)

LOL LOL
This has to go to the Brianisms-thread

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »

Just one more clip (Brian did not have a lot to say in the Q&A, of course). An audience member asked what it was like to trust someone else to tell his life story...and how did he feel when he watched it?

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113799237883/sxsw-love-and-mercy-q-a-brian-wilson-is-asked-how
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »

Thanks shadownoze for sharing the videos for those of us that obviously couldn't be in attendance.

Brian was incredibly lucid and sounding healthy and happy. 

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »

Just one more clip (Brian did not have a lot to say in the Q&A, of course). An audience member asked what it was like to trust someone else to tell his life story...and how did he feel when he watched it?

http://shadownoze.tumblr.com/post/113799237883/sxsw-love-and-mercy-q-a-brian-wilson-is-asked-how

Wow, thanks for that one, too!
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »

Here is a review from AMC Independent's Youtube channel from a screening at SXSW.
Seems like they liked it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcGmleApDZ4
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »

Here is a review from AMC Independent's Youtube channel from a screening at SXSW.
Seems like they liked it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcGmleApDZ4

Thanks a lot for that.  They were adorable and obviously "got it."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »

I love that moment at about 0:06 when Cusack claps once, realizes he's misread the situation, and then immediately stops.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:27:30 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzuo5eBR2M&feature=youtu.be&a

Interview w/ Brian, Cusack, & Pohlad for FOX 7 news. Brian says Paul Giamatti's portrayal of Landy had him scared for 10 mins.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »

"How do you feel about Eugene Landy right now?"

There's your answer.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 10:21:51 PM »

http://thecwaustin.com/2015/03/16/love-mercy-sit-down-interview-at-sxsw/

Another sit-down interview, this time with The CW affiliate in Austin.

I had a funny thought (okay, maybe it's not so funny).  It takes both John (Cusack) and Paul (Dano) to equal Brian.

Get it?...

Poke

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx