gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 05:53:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For all of us OLD TIMERS (Andrew Doe, etc.)  (Read 12894 times)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »

Mikie, there were 7 issues of FOTBB.  Issue 7 included a free cassette of "AGD's Secret Bedroom Tapes", which featured unexplained animal noises...  Andrew subsequently bought every copy for some reason...
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 06:19:24 PM »

I became a BB fanatic during the dry spell between Holland and 15 Big Ones. I would pore over every issue of Goldmine and another zine called The Rock Marketplace—anybody remember that one? It had great articles and lots of ads. I traded cassettes with Derek Bill after seeing his classified ad in Rolling Stone. I was the first state representative for BBFUN in Texas...of course, there were only three members in Texas at the time. It was an exciting time. The best discography I could find for the BBs in 1973 was in Lillian Roxon's Rock Encyclopedia...I would read through her listing of BB records and wonder, "What would a song called 'Fall Breaks and Back to Winter' even SOUND like?" The post-Pet Sounds albums had not been rereleased at that point, so they were like the Holy Grail. Finding a used copy of Smiley Smile or Wild Honey was simply thrilling. I still have all of Marty Taber's zine, as well as David Leaf's Pet Sounds paper.
And then there was the concert in Austin where I was wearing that big light blue BBFUN button and was spotted by a guy named Chris. He told me he had a tape of some Smile stuff; man, that was incredible news. Then boots started coming out for Adult Child and Califonia (sp) Feeling.
It will never be as much fun as that again. Stockpiling mp3s is just not the same.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2015, 09:38:42 AM »

For me it was meeting BB fans at concerts and trading tapes or a couple of guys that worked at record stores with tapes at first.. Then Goldmine was essential for collecting. Those vinyl boots in 80's were 20 25 dollars each..Plus shipping..1st place had to be capitol records swap meet tho.. Also Rockaway records in Silver Lake Ca..And Pasadena Swap meet. Do they still have those meets in pasadena 2nd sunday of every month?? Anyone know..?  Yea it is amazing what has come out.!.. Surfs Up book had listings that i used to drool over. now its all there in market place..
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »

I have good memories of the Capitol Records swap meet. It was in the Capitol Records parking lot (where the Beach Boys’ Shut Down II album cover shoot was) right above the large echo chambers used for recording. So there was some history there near that tall round building near Hollywood & Vine. Around the early to mid 70’s we’d drive down from the Bay Area and get to the swap meet around 2 o’clock in the morning. Vans and trucks containing records for sale were already parked in spaces and dealers and average people/collectors selling records were still pulling in until the parking lot filled up. Whenever somebody new had just come in and they opened up for business - it was funny - people would make a quick beeline to the new arrival’s spot. Like a farmer feeding his herd! Invariably, there be would 2 or 3 people deep looking through the “B” section of records and you had to wait your turn! You had to get there real early to get the rare records and I think it usually lasted until Sun-up. Walking through the lot, you’d recognize other collectors, some looking for the same things you were. If somebody had a Surfin’ on  “X” or Candix in his hands, you know you’d just missed the big fish!

Then, every month it seemed like more people had found out about it and started showing up earlier and earlier (obviously to snatch up the best records before others did). Last time I was there, I think the swap meet was already in full swing at 10 or 11 PM the night before! Best deal I ever got at the swap meet was when some guy (I found out later he worked for Capitol) came out with a box of brand new 4-By The Beatles EP’s. I think he sold them for $20 each if I remember right. Timing was everything that night and I was lucky enough to get one! Good times…..

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx