gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:57:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For all of us OLD TIMERS (Andrew Doe, etc.)  (Read 12785 times)
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 12:11:55 PM »

After hearing you all talk about waiting for decades for unreleased music to come out, I feel especially grateful I was born into a world where most of their backlog has been released or uploaded on YouTube. I can't even imagine how it feels to have waited over 40 years for Smile to be released, since it came out 5 years after I discovered the songs. My only regret is that I'll never be able to see Carl or Dennis live, but I have been given the gift of seeing Brian live. Hopefully, people are still listening to the BB's 100 years from now.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 12:24:55 PM »

What a cool thread! All I can add is that sure, the released material is awesome, but for me seeing the band 96 times in 15 states between 1968 and 1998 means the Beach Boys were a part of my life. I worked for a very well known promoter here in Kansas City and had total access to not just the local shows. I had close personal encounters with all of them except for Brian. By the 80's, Carl and Al knew me by name and Mike still recognizes me at shows. Bruce ignores me, but that's OK, we have a history that I documented here a long time ago. People are paying 100K for a ticket to see the Dead in Chicago this Summer. I wouldn't go for 100 dollars. Different strokes...........but I saw the GD at the Fox Theatre in Saint Louis in 1971 anyway. Once was enough. 100,000 dollars!!

For that price, they ought to be exhuming Garcia.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »

"send SASE for list"
I just remember scanning Goldmine, Discoveries, and other 'zines for ads and sending out a lot of SASE's, then wondering how I could save up the cash from whatever teen part-time job I had to actually order one of the treasures. And taking the T to one of the cool shops when I was going to school in Boston was an event, although there were several on Newbury right near the dorms which would pay off on occasion.

I'm betting the term SASE is or would be unfamiliar to most under a certain age at this point.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 02:19:26 PM »

I suspect that using the term "Old Timer" is a nice way of saying, "Old Fart". After listing the highlights of my Beach Boys fandom here, I'm sure I'll be dating myself!

1. 1970 - Hearing "I Get Around" for the first time. Then the whole "All Summer Long" album, then a few months later, "Good Vibrations". Done blew my mind!
2. 1972 - Picking up the "Carl & The Passions/Pet Sounds" vinyl 2-fer for 2 bucks at a flea market. Played it to death along with subsequent albums  through my Marantz amp (with gyro-tuner), Thorens turntable, and JBL L-100 speakers.
3. 1974 - After feeling pretty good about myself that I had all of the original Capitol Beach Boys albums in my collection up to that point, then finding out that I still needed to pick up Stack-o-Tracks, Friends, 20/20, Greatest Hits Vol. 3, Deluxe Set, Live In London, and GV ('70) all of which were deleted from the Capitol catalogue. Then all the singles, including picture sleeves. A somewhat daunting task at the time (without the Internet - only snail mail and long distance phone calls) but a lot of fun to collect!
4. Waiting for the latest Beach Boys Freaks United (BBFUN) newsletter to come in the mail from Alice L.
5. Waiting for the latest Add Some Music fanzine to come in the mail from D. Cunningham.
6. Waiting for the latest Goldmine to come in the mail.
7. Waiting for the latest Pet Sounds fanzine to come in the mail from D. Leaf.
8, Waiting for the latest set sale/auction lists to come in the mail from D. Bill, P. Reum, B. Elliott, S. Bates.
9. Waiting for the latest Endless Summer Quarterly (Dempsey/Edgil/Mast) to come in the mail.
10. Attending the monthly Castro Valley record swap meets.
11. Attending the monthly Capitol Records parking lot swap meets (later in Pasadena).
12. Collecting original Beach Boys and Beatles records. Frequented every new and used record store in the Bay Area.
13. Hearing new bootlegs for the first time (couldn't get enough) and feeling kinda cool knowing the general public had not heard them before.
14. Beginning in 1979, waiting to hear every single new fragment and morsel of the holy grail relic known as SMiLE.
15. Attending Beach Boys conventions in the Bay Area in the 70's/80's and San Diego in the early 90's (2), thanks to the late Les Chan!
16. Meeting Brian Wilson at 10452 Bellagio Rd. and at book/record signings.
17. Meeting Carl, Al, Mike (twice) and Bruce and getting autographs. Missed meeting Dennis by a few feet (damn!).
18. Long conversations on the phone with Les Chan, Greg Larson, Derek Bill, Don Spears, Mark Plummer. Dinner meeting with Will Brison, Frank Holmes, Les Chan in S.F. in '04.
19. Reading all of the great articles in Rolling Stone, Crawdaddy, Phonograph, Cream, Bomp! magazines for the first time.
20. Picking up all the new Beach Boys books coming out, starting with  Barnes, Tobler, Leaf, and Preiss in the 70's. Loved the four Priore volumes.
21. Attending as many Beach Boys (and solo) concerts as I could in the Bay Area and Sacramento, beginning on November 18, 1973.  http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/rock-and-roll-band-the-beach-boys-perform-onstage-in-news-photo/73987382  What a great, great time to be a fan!
22. Enjoying the hell out of all the new Beach Boys and Dennis Wilson releases on CD since the bonus tracks on the early 90's 2-fers and '93/Pet Sounds/MIC box sets and comps that included material that hadn't previously been booted or were upgrades sonically in addition to stereo releases. Those releases alone were real big highlights and well worth waiting for!
23. Enjoying the Cabinessence/Shut Down, Male Ego, and Smiley Smile message boards since 1997.

Beach Boys fan pre-internet primary sources for my collection and knowledge:

Beach Boys Freaks United - Lillie
Pet Sounds fanzine - Leaf
Add Some Music fanzine - Cunningham
Friends Of The Beach Boys fanzine - Taber (Cancelled subscription after 1rst issue)
Endless Summer Quarterly fanzine - Mast, Edgil, Dempsey
Beach Boys Stomp fanzine - Grant
The Clown Princes of Rock & Roll - A California Saga - Colville
Friends of Dennis Wilson fanzine - Duffy
Brian Wilson Fan Club Newsletter - Breakaway With Brian Wilson - Klobas
Goldmine Magazine
Discoveries Magazine
Record Collector Magazine
Peter Reum auction lists
Derek Bill auction lists
Steve Bates auction lists
Midnight Records auction lists
Capitol Records parking lot record swap meets - Los Angeles, Pasadena.
Tower, Moe's, Rasputin's, Leopold's, Amoeba Records - Berzerkely
Tower, Let It Be Records, Recycled Records, Streetlight Records, Amoeba's - San Fransicko
Tower, Rockaway Music, Music Man Murry, Wenzel's Music Town, Wallach's Music City, Record Collector, Peaches - Los Angeles
Tower, Rare Records, 804 K St. Mall, 9th St. Records - Sacramento
Tower, Rowe's Rare Records, Big Al's Record Barn, Streetlight Records - San Jose
Blue Meanie Records - El Cahones
Forgot the name, mail order only, original silver CD's up the wazoo. Source of SOT's, Dumb Angel's - Singapore

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:04:19 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »

For me, discovering "Newcastle" was like sipping the motherlode. JP is such a sweet, kind, generous gent… met him at a concert or two back in the 80s and (I think) at the UK premier of the American Band film in London, and shows and conventions ever since… especially the BW fest that was 2002-2004. Only ever managed one or two trips to Newcastle but, oh boy, it opened my eyes to what (might) be available and how I'd never ever have a complete collection of everything simply cos there's so much of it. JP played me the studio version of We Got Love in the store… what a treat…

“We live in divisive times.”
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 06:07:48 PM »

I remember waiting for the newest issue of Goldmine to be delivered to my house. I would spend a lot of time reviewing the tiny print ads. My best find was a new original Japan release of one of Carl's solo CDs, which I quickly purchased for $35.00.

I placed an ad in Goldmine looking for Beach Boy material. That ad led me to a long friendship with Bob ( petsite). He lives in Texas, and actually flew up here to Milwaukee to attend Brian's concert with me, that was Brian's first tour, third stop, I believe.

I hung out on the old AOL Beach Boys message boards and participated in an auction run by Lauri Klobas. I won one of the items, but more importantly won the friendship of Lauri, which lasted until her untimely passing years later.

Those were very good times..

How are you my friend? Tried calling but couldn't get through. Please PM me!
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »

Friends Of The Beach Boys fanzine - Taber (Cancelled subscription after 1rst issue)
Peter Reum auction lists
Derek Bill auction lists

No forgetting Stephen McParland's Beach Boys Australia

Watson, did you hear this?
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »

I used to write to a guy who claimed to have a Beach Boy friend (he gave no names) but he did provide some difficult to get music.

And there was a guy who used to sell various clippings for a small charge - always helpful with information from the rock press.

Occasionally I would phone Brother Records and ask if they had any tour plans. We were told 'tentative' so often that we named the lady to whom we spoke 'Tentative' too. (Not to her of course!)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 10:56:59 AM »

For me, discovering "Newcastle" was like sipping the motherlode. JP is such a sweet, kind, generous gent… met him at a concert or two back in the 80s and (I think) at the UK premier of the American Band film in London...

Hey, I was there too !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »

Peter Reum auction lists
Derek Bill auction lists

No, I didn't subscribe to that one. I never subscribed to Stomp either, though later on I read a few back-issues. I think there was/is a German fanzine too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:06:05 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »

I'd like to see other 'mature' guys weigh in on this thread, like Steve Mayo, Oldsurferdude, Hey Jude, D. Cunningham, MTaber, Custom Machine, PS, PReum, Lee Dempsey, and Bgas.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:42:48 PM by Mikie » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »

Taber's been called a lot of things in his life (most of then justified...) but "mature" was never one of them.  Grin

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 12:40:42 PM »

Taber made me laugh with a previous post:

"I got the BBFUN mailing list from Alice Lillie in 1975 and got in touch with a number of fans from that list by mail. This led to my starting my own horrifically bad newsletter and further alienating the international Beach Boy community..."

Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 12:46:13 PM »

Peter Reum auction lists
Derek Bill auction lists

No, I didn't subscribe to that one. I never subscribed to Stomp either, though later on I read a few back-issues. I think there was/is a German fanzine too.

Also Dutch and Japanese 'zines... back then, oddly, the only ones I didn't subscribe to were the official BBFUN newsletter (never got round to it) and Stomp ('cause I was writing most of it).

Oh, and not forgetting FOTBB's even more horrific successor Celebrate The Newsletter.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »

1. 1970 - Hearing "I Get Around" for the first time. Then the whole "All Summer Long" album, then a few months later, "Good Vibrations". Done blew my mind!
2. 1972 - Picking up the "Carl & The Passions/Pet Sounds" vinyl 2-fer for 2 bucks at a flea market. Played it to death along with subsequent albums  through my Marantz amp (with gyro-tuner), Thorens turntable, and JBL L-100 speakers.

How did you not hear "I Get Around" until 1970?  If you tell me you were young, then how did you have that killer audiophile sound system just 2 years later?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 12:55:27 PM »

Mikie, can I be the oldfartdom trainee? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »

How did you not hear "I Get Around" until 1970?  If you tell me you were young, then how did you have that killer audiophile sound system just 2 years later?

I was 15. I probably had heard The Beach Boys on the radio, but don't remember. I'd heard my Uncle's Hollyridge Strings Beach Boys Vol. I album, but had not bought any Beach Boys records up to that point. Only Beatle records (even the Butcher cover!) I had quite a bit of singles and a few albums, but one day I went over to a friend's house down the street and he'd bring girls down in his basement to hear the latest rock records - he and his brother always bought a TON of records. One of them he had was "All Summer Long" and he put that on and I kept telling him to put the needle back on "I Get Around" over and over until he finally kicked me out of his house and I went down and bought the record the next day!

It was a killer sound system! Still is - I still have it all, though the foam fronts have evaporated off the JBL speakers. My Mom helped me buy it when I was a Junior in high school. What a lucky bum I was, eh?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:00:18 PM by Mikie » Logged

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2015, 01:32:23 PM »

I started thinking about how many times I have seen the group in concert. Then I see these people that are talking 96 times etc. I think wow! Makes me feel a little better that Andrew Doe didn't get to see them until 1980. If a man of his statue started late like I did, I don't feel SO bad LOL.

I first started listening to them in 1973 when (no kidding, everyone has story) I had a crush on a girl named Rhonda. My brother had the greatest hits Vol. 2, I listened to that song, then the whole LP. I was hooked from there. Even though they came here through Houston in 1975 and 76, it was 1978 when I first saw them right after their "wonderful" trip through New Zealand and Australia. If anyone has Jon and Ian's wonderful book call the beach boys in concert, you will read about Brian being a manic on the stage at that time, running around etc. He was that night. And on the following Monday I found out why. My friend Beau Weaver, one of the top jocks in the US back then, knew the group from his days in LA working on KHJ. He came to Houston and KILT. When the group was in town, he invited my to go with him to the hotel to meet them ahead of time but I couldn't make it. He told me that he was at the bar with Dennis when Brian came in. He ordered 5 White Russians. He downed them bam bam bam and then walked out. Beau said Dennis told him "wow, guess Brian was thirsty!"

Saw them every year after that when they came to town. Was SO SO bummed when they didn't come through in 1980 to promote KTSA. So wanted to here those tracks live!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »

How did you not hear "I Get Around" until 1970?  If you tell me you were young, then how did you have that killer audiophile sound system just 2 years later?

I was 15. I probably had heard The Beach Boys on the radio, but don't remember. I'd heard my Uncle's Hollyridge Strings Beach Boys Vol. I album, but had not bought any Beach Boys records up to that point. Only Beatle records (even the Butcher cover!) I had quite a bit of singles and a few albums, but one day I went over to a friend's house down the street and he'd bring girls down in his basement to hear the latest rock records - he and his brother always bought a TON of records. One of them he had was "All Summer Long" and he put that on and I kept telling him to put the needle back on "I Get Around" over and over until he finally kicked me out of his house and I went down and bought the record the next day!

I was a killer sound system! Still is - I still have it all, though the foam fronts have evaporated off the JBL speakers. My Mom helped me buy it when I was a Junior in high school. What a lucky bum I was, eh?
Post pictures of it here!
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19316.0.html#bot

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »

Mikie, can I be the oldfartdom trainee? Wink

Sure.  Some of us are old enough to be your Dad!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:27:45 PM by Mikie » Logged

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »

Peter Reum auction lists
Derek Bill auction lists

"California Saga" which folded a couple of years ago after a run of more than 30 years

Watson, did you hear this?
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2015, 03:00:39 PM »

Wow, Mikie, you canceled your subscription to FOTBB after one issue?  Then you never got the issue with the free cassette of "Brian's Secret Bedroom Tapes"?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »

Marty is laughing at all of us!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »

Wow, Mikie, you canceled your subscription to FOTBB after one issue?  Then you never got the issue with the free cassette of "Brian's Secret Bedroom Tapes"?

I think I still might have one or two issues. How many issues were there total, six or seven? Saw a few of them on Ebay a few months ago. Are they bonafide collector's items now?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 04:16:58 PM »

Makes me feel a little better that Andrew Doe didn't get to see them until 1980. If a man of his statue started late like I did, I don't feel SO bad LOL.

I think you mean "stature"...

Um...

Maybe not.  Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx