gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:07:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: For all of us OLD TIMERS (Andrew Doe, etc.)  (Read 12790 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:11:56 AM »

Having turned 56 recently and going thru my current BB collection, I am struck by the sheer amount of items that are now publicly available that we as old timers could only imagine and hunger for. SMILE, Landlocked,Adult Child,etc etc etc. I know the turning point for me was the amount of tapes that made the rounds in the late '80s, but by 2000, the SOT boxes etc, lead us into a new era. And in SOME WAYS, its kinda sad. We now officially and unofficially have a lot of what we dreamed of. It's almost like getting to the end of that long haul only to say ok, I have it finally, now what. Do any of you other guys that weathered the long dry spells of the 70s and 80s feel this as well?

OF COURSE, so as not to end on a melancholy note, all I need is that alternate single version of Little Honda that just came out and I am off to the races again!!!

Bob
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 03:34:16 AM »

I can identify with that but as we get further down that road, new vistas come to light. Those Bedroom Tapes - are we ever going to get to hear Brian's Song for God? Of course I'm grateful for what we have received - especially SMiLE - but however old I get I seem to have an undiminished appetite for Brian Wilson music.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 03:54:51 AM »

Having turned 56 recently and going thru my current BB collection, I am struck by the sheer amount of items that are now publicly available that we as old timers could only imagine and hunger for.

You don't even have to be an "old timer" to feel that way. Even in the year 2000, it must have been hard to imagine that by 2015 we'd have all this:

- A Smile Sessions box set and a "finished" version of Smile by Brian
- Six additional new studio albums by Brian, and one by Al
- A brand new Beach Boys album featuring Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David
- A Pacific Ocean Blue-reissue including Bambu and additional bonus tracks
- A new box set with lots of unreleased songs and other rarities
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 04:13:35 AM »

Having turned 56 recently and going thru my current BB collection, I am struck by the sheer amount of items that are now publicly available that we as old timers could only imagine and hunger for.

You don't even have to be an "old timer" to feel that way. Even in the year 2000, it must have been hard to imagine that by 2015 we'd have all this:

Great summary.  I believe the term is, "an embarrassment of riches."  And NPP in a few weeks.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 04:16:26 AM »

Don't forget about the found footage from an actual good vibration session
And the upcoming Brian and Mike autobiographies!!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 04:24:25 AM »

It was a LONG dry spell.  The first happened between Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains...and then Smiley Smile which [FOT ME and not everyone for sure] was a gigantic let down and disappointment...a retreat.  Then came the next long dry spell following Holland and the subsequent live album until...until...until  [wtf Huh] Rock and Roll Music!?!?! and 15 Big-uns.  What a let down for me.  Same with Love You.  [although I 'get' that many LOVE Love You.]  There were 'tries' without a rudder [Brian being ALL that] Carl solo albums which contained a few decent songs but over-all were pretty disappointing.  There was that moment in the sun with Pacific Ocean Blue and then Dennis began to fade away.  There were items of note surrounded by less likely filler from the Boys but by the time we got to Kokomo and Brian's first solo album we were HUNGRY for something...anything...which would satisfy the ears and soul.

Since then?  It's been Brian and previously unreleased Beach Boys gems.  Then came the release of Smile and That's Why God Made the Radio...and the soon to be released No Pier Pressure [or Peer Pressure either]...Love and Mercy...and the 'book'.  Illegal 'offerings' did 2 things.  They kept those hungry for more fed.  They also prompted the official release of LOADS of stuff we deserved to hear.  A so/so Brach Boys song...especially one where everyone is participating beats the pants off of all kinds of OTHER stuff.  Sometimes when the Boys don't 'measure up' it's that they don't measure up with themselves.  They're a VERY tough act to follow...especially for the Beach Boys.  [although Brian is pretty darned good at it...and Al's no slouch either.]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 04:25:58 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »

A discussion of this is going on elsewhere and someone posted that Brian had mentioned three projects, a gentle 'pop' album, a rocker and something to make Pet Sounds and SMiLE into a trilogy.

I hope that all of Brian's incredible musical ideas take root but even the fact that he is thinking creatively is IMO extremely encouraging. Brian isn't just basking in past glories but still interested in the creative process which may be wonderful for us but is surely also good for him.
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 07:46:15 AM »

Well I'm 39 now (which I can't believe) and I have fond memories of searching around the internet in 98/99/2000 searching for ANY nuggets I could find. In a way that was so exciting. Particularly I remember Napster and everyday I would type in Beach Boys or Brian Wilson to see what would pop up. Its where I first heard POB and some SMiLE tracks. But the salient point is this (and echoed to some effect by Sean Lennon): If you care to delve into the music, then it IS the most rewarding musical experience you could ever have. The sheer DEPTH of the musical catalog that falls under the umbrella of "Beach Boys' is astounding. Yes there are duds. But even the "duds" have some redeeming quality if you care to appreciate the time, place and historical circumstance in which said piece of music was created.  I always contend that there is no other musical catalog out there (released/unreleased) that can compare to the Beach Boys. So many different eras, styles, unique contributions.  It is true that what we have today I could only dream about back in my early twenties. It was then I was literally salivating for more Beach Boys.  So is it the end of the long road? Nah...there is always stuff to be discovered. EVERY year I laugh out loud: well now, where did this come from? Who knows?? Maybe some day all that SMiLE footage/Inside Pop stuff will appear. Never say never. Stranger things have happened. A prime example of this is the story of the Don't Worry Baby Master Reels. I just shake my head and SMiLE....I don't think we have reached the extreme "bottom of the barrel".

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 07:47:58 AM »

It was a LONG dry spell.  The first happened between Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains...and then Smiley Smile which [FOT ME and not everyone for sure] was a gigantic let down and disappointment...a retreat.  Then came the next long dry spell following Holland and the subsequent live album until...until...until  [wtf Huh] Rock and Roll Music!?!?! and 15 Big-uns.  What a let down for me.  Same with Love You.  [although I 'get' that many LOVE Love You.]  There were 'tries' without a rudder [Brian being ALL that] Carl solo albums which contained a few decent songs but over-all were pretty disappointing.  There was that moment in the sun with Pacific Ocean Blue and then Dennis began to fade away.  There were items of note surrounded by less likely filler from the Boys but by the time we got to Kokomo and Brian's first solo album we were HUNGRY for something...anything...which would satisfy the ears and soul.

Since then?  It's been Brian and previously unreleased Beach Boys gems.  Then came the release of Smile and That's Why God Made the Radio...and the soon to be released No Pier Pressure [or Peer Pressure either]...Love and Mercy...and the 'book'.  Illegal 'offerings' did 2 things.  They kept those hungry for more fed.  They also prompted the official release of LOADS of stuff we deserved to hear.  A so/so Brach Boys song...especially one where everyone is participating beats the pants off of all kinds of OTHER stuff.  Sometimes when the Boys don't 'measure up' it's that they don't measure up with themselves.  They're a VERY tough act to follow...especially for the Beach Boys.  [although Brian is pretty darned good at it...and Al's no slouch either.]
Add Some - with Smiley Smile, apart from GV and Heroes, I had no idea that Smiley was only part of a "big picture" won't seemingly "unrelated" tracks, but was enchanted by the gorgeous Wind Chimes.  And, in hindsight, I'm glad it wasn't fully released.  The world wasn't ready to fully embrace it.  It may have been marginalized by other stuff being released at the time.

This way, we got a "coronation" in 2011, instead of being "knighted" in the late 60's, for one generation of listeners, instead of the many in 2011.

So, I'll drink to that! And here's to you, too!  Beer
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »

It's also too bad to think about some of the 'old' timers that aren't around anymore, who never got a chance to see a lot of this stuff. Greg Larson and Bob Hanes come to mind.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 08:50:30 AM »

I miss going to the record fairs of old and finding boots of songs I'd heard about on message boards or in fanzines, particularly the Sea of Tunes stuff, Bamboo (as we thought it was at the time), Landlocked (several 'versions'), Smile stuff, the Paley sessions and Murry's rant, as well as quality boots by other artists I had an interest in at the time - the excellent Springsteen boot, The Ties That Bind, comes to mind - and so on, but I'm glad more material has come out legally - and cleaned up - and look forward to more releases like Big Beat etc. The two songs I'd most like official releases of, I guess, are Carry Me Home and Big Sur, but there are plenty of others and  would love to see the elusive Bedroom Tapes (http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/brian-wilson-bedroom-years.html) and the so-far-unreleased Brother rarities come out (including those Brad Elliott mentions lower down this blogpost:
http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/the-beach-boys-brother-re-issues-bonus.html

Keep dreaming that Beach Boys Central will work one day...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 08:52:53 AM »

It's also too bad to think about some of the 'old' timers that aren't around anymore, who never got a chance to see a lot of this stuff. Greg Larson and Bob Hanes come to mind.

That is most certainly true. I've loved the copyright extension stuff, but I don't want to wait another eight or so years for Carry Me Home and Hard Times...
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »

In the old days (1970's, '80's) it was a bit like archeology, you had to work hard to find things. Maybe we appreciated it more. Now it's the click of a button, I'm not complaining, just amused. This year with all that is happening reminds me of 1976. A great time to be a Beach Boy fan
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »

I'd go to the record fair and make a bee-line for John Porteous' stand, though I'd often be looking for something I'd read about on the net. If he did't have it there, he was often able to get it for me later.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »

Having turned 56 recently and going thru my current BB collection, I am struck by the sheer amount of items that are now publicly available that we as old timers could only imagine and hunger for. SMILE, Landlocked,Adult Child,etc etc etc. I know the turning point for me was the amount of tapes that made the rounds in the late '80s, but by 2000, the SOT boxes etc, lead us into a new era. And in SOME WAYS, its kinda sad. We now officially and unofficially have a lot of what we dreamed of. It's almost like getting to the end of that long haul only to say ok, I have it finally, now what. Do any of you other guys that weathered the long dry spells of the 70s and 80s feel this as well?

Us old-timers? Oh to be 56 again!  Smiley

Seriously, it is kinda sad that we're reaching the end of this journey, but the amazing fact that Brian finally "came back" is more than enough compensation. The answer to "now what?", I think, will be delivered in early April!

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 12:25:26 PM »

I readily admit, I NEVER EVER thought I would say to my friends in 2012 "here's a new one by the Beach Boys!". Still in awe over that!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 04:03:58 PM »

I know....I was just thinking about how Greg's birthday's coming up. Coach, man...he was a good guy too. Derek Bill left us too soon as well. I know he would have been over the moon right now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »

Greg and another poster here were very generous among the old timers here in sharing their treasures with this old timer , how old? walked downtown to the record store to buy Fun Fun Fun when I was eleven and the song was at the top of the charts.   Was glad to see Greg and bob get a credit on the box.    Do I Miss looking thru used record store bins in anticipation of finding a treasure?     sometimes.    Like missing an old addiction.  Wink.   Pre internet, it was always a treat to get the BBFUN newsletters in the mail.     I still have most of them.   
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 09:37:24 PM »

Bob was one of my besties. We use to talk at least 4-5 times a week. His passing was one of the reasons i kind of laid low here and other places. Too many memories. Finally the music got me going again. The last time I talked to Bob, it was just before he passed. He played the demo of California Feeling over the phone to me. Sharing until the last. They don't come any better than him!
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 10:34:58 PM »

For me, there was nothing quite like finding those first three SMiLE vinyls (single, double and triple disc sets) and then finding and then awaiting more of the Sea of Tunes boxes days (and before SOT, the Gold Tin "Journals" series). I would visit NYC from Boston and walk to Revolver on 8th street, Bleecker Records, and then that underground store on Cordelia with such anticipation of combing for buried treasure. The guys at the counters were also hip to exactly what they were dealing with - like this joint, it was like a club of people who got it . Beach Boys fans are in many ways the luckiest of all. My entire life has been taken up with them and I had the chance to tell them so during the C50 very quick meet and greet photo op at Red Rocks, backstage. After that dream concert, with my best friends from the block flying in to share it with me, I felt completely "full circled" and filled with joy. All the rest has been a bonus round. And this year in particular will be a very special one, so I'm glad to be still be above ground to celebrate it with you all here. It is a passion that has never really dwindled.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 12:18:57 AM »

As Brian might say, it's been a trip: stuff we used to discuss in hushed tones, wondering what it was like, is now on YouTube for all to enjoy (or not - "Battle Hymn...", anyone ?  Grin ). Stuff we knew would never be released is on the racks in formats from single CD to 6CD/2LP/2 45 box.

But to my mind the most amazing thing these days is the sheer ease of access to people in the BB cosmos 1961-date. It's no secret here that many posters here have direct contact with band members and, speaking personally, my FB friends list includes the likes of David Sandler, Rick Henn, Jack Rieley, Sharon Marie... now, if you'd told me that in 1975, when all this madness started for me, I'd have laughed in your face, long & loud.

What's left ? Never say "nothing", because something will always drop from the skies. Think Micawber. My current #1 wish is the AFMs for LDC and Surfer Girl... actually, just the key to the archives of Local 47.  Grin

And yes, the passage of time inevitably thins our ranks... Coach Bob, Greg, Derek, Les: four good people gone much too soon.

I'd much rather have been there 1962-73 in SoCal, but understandably failing that, here, now (and the last 25 years or so) will do very nicely, thank you - an historians wet dream, so many archive releases and books. The 'net's a two-edged sword, of course, but on the whole, it's enabled me to meet so many fine, fine people. Can't recall the last timne I sent a letter, or made a non-Skype phone call.

That small, but growing, cloud on the far horizon ? What do we do when it's all over ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 03:14:00 AM »

That small, but growing, cloud on the far horizon ? What do we do when it's all over ?

God Only Knows

I hope.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 07:26:28 AM »

I remember waiting for the newest issue of Goldmine to be delivered to my house. I would spend a lot of time reviewing the tiny print ads. My best find was a new original Japan release of one of Carl's solo CDs, which I quickly purchased for $35.00.

I placed an ad in Goldmine looking for Beach Boy material. That ad led me to a long friendship with Bob ( petsite). He lives in Texas, and actually flew up here to Milwaukee to attend Brian's concert with me, that was Brian's first tour, third stop, I believe.

I hung out on the old AOL Beach Boys message boards and participated in an auction run by Lauri Klobas. I won one of the items, but more importantly won the friendship of Lauri, which lasted until her untimely passing years later.

Those were very good times..
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 08:26:50 AM »

I turn 65 two days after Brian Wilson turns 73.  It's been quite a ride the past 53 years, with two highlights coming to mind: Les Chan in 1982 sending me Smile and Landlocked with a handful of other nuggets on a cassette tape I keep in my nightstand so I always know where it is, and C-50 at the Red Rock in Las Vegas.  Oh yeah, SMILE in Houston and Grand Prairie. The conventions Les put on in Oakland. Carl at the Old Waldorf in SF. All the stuff you kept hearing about but never thought you'd hear, much less own. Books, documentaries, internet, Smiley Smile board. Who would ever thought . . . . . . .  Nothing to complain about. (Except maybe this broken leg I incurred a four weeks ago today. Last time I even think about skipping church without a valid excuse.  Like a broken leg.) And it's baseball season. Beach Boys, baseball, I think I'll fix a hot dog and put on All Summer Long.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:28:59 PM by NHC » Logged
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 11:50:32 AM »

What a cool thread! All I can add is that sure, the released material is awesome, but for me seeing the band 96 times in 15 states between 1968 and 1998 means the Beach Boys were a part of my life. I worked for a very well known promoter here in Kansas City and had total access to not just the local shows. I had close personal encounters with all of them except for Brian. By the 80's, Carl and Al knew me by name and Mike still recognizes me at shows. Bruce ignores me, but that's OK, we have a history that I documented here a long time ago. People are paying 100K for a ticket to see the Dead in Chicago this Summer. I wouldn't go for 100 dollars. Different strokes...........but I saw the GD at the Fox Theatre in Saint Louis in 1971 anyway. Once was enough. 100,000 dollars!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx