gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:08:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mark Linett Thread  (Read 244376 times)
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2006, 10:48:18 AM »

"I should mention that when the beatles catalog was first released on CD by Capitol the mono mixes were used and the public outcry was so extreme that they were redone with the more familiar (and popular) stereo mixes."

Ahh, the joy of hearing the drums in you right ear and everything else in you left ear. Roll Eyes

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2006, 11:15:19 AM »

"I should mention that when the beatles catalog was first released on CD by Capitol the mono mixes were used and the public outcry was so extreme that they were redone with the more familiar (and popular) stereo mixes."

Ahh, the joy of hearing the drums in you right ear and everything else in you left ear. Roll Eyes

More like the track on one side and the vocals on the other......
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2006, 11:28:35 AM »

I believe here are certainly a lot songs that sound better in mono then stereo, although I've never especially tried to 'collect' these, but there are mono mixes made under supervision of Brian, from the years 1961-1965, such as for single releases.
The 4cd box 'The Capitol Years' has a nice mono version of 'Girls On The Beach' which sounds more rocking an powerful then the stereo version, and that was a revelation to me.

(I guess when the vocals have very jazzy close harmony block chords (like difficult 7 , 9 , or 13 chords etc) it's better to put (blend) them together instead of to pan them Left-Right.  
These chords exist not for example of 3 or 4 independent melody lines, but belong together like the colors of one rainbow)
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2006, 11:38:49 AM »

"More like the track on one side and the vocals on the other......"

I was generally talking about bad stereo-mixes, not just about the Beatles. I listen with headphones, where it is even more extrem than with speakers.

On "Donīt Worry Baby" for example the backing track is in the mid, background-vocals on the right and the lead-vocal on the left. Extremely seperated. Itīs almost like hearing vocal-only and track-only at once, and while itīs definately interesting to hear it that way, the song loses a lot of itīs impact because of that.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2006, 11:45:35 AM »

I don't understand why mono is so undesirable to the average Joe. Brian's mono mixes are very powerful! It's a shame we can't hear more of them without doing our own needle-drops, which of course will be inferior to what you would come up with, Mark.

Last month I was riding in my mother's car and oldies radio was on. After listening for about a half-hour Don't Worry Baby came on in all its' mono glory, and let me tell you, it blew everything else away, sound-wise!

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »

Part of the problem some have with mono, I am convinced, is that they think of mono in terms of the fourth gen fidelity we are stuck with now for Pet Sounds, or the mono mix used for Something New by the Kinks on the Castle CD.  It is so muddy that it is hard to make out individual instruments.  If you had a decent mastering of a clean first gen mono mix, it might be different.  But how often do "mono" mixes get that treatment today?

Best mono mix reissue on CD I know of was the Headquarters mono on the Sessions box.  That made the whole album make sense whereas the stereo sounded almost lame at times, esp on Mike's pedal steel playing.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2006, 12:37:40 PM »

I'll be doing needle-drops of mono Little Deuce Coupe and Shut Down Vol. 2 soon. I've also done All Summer Long.
PM me if interested.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2006, 12:48:46 AM »

Perhaps if EMI ever launches a download only service, we can make the mono albums available that way.

Would it be possible to let Rhino Handmade (or some other niche-market label, e.g. Audio Fidelity or Hip-O-Select) do a limited release of the mono mixes on a double CD? Because the five remaining mono albums could easily fit on two CDs (if it is okay to split the Little Deuce Coupe album). I would be all over such a release!!! All Summer Long (the album) is just perfect in mono.

I should mention that when the beatles catalog was first released on CD by Capitol the mono mixes were used and the public outcry was so extreme that they were redone with the more familiar (and popular) stereo mixes.

The unfortunate thing is that the great stereo mixes of  A Hard Day's Night and Beatles For Sale were requested by George Martin for CD release, but reportedly a miscommunication caused them to use the mono mixes, which for these two particular albums, are not quite as good. They should have released Rubber Soul and Revolver in mono, instead. Smiley

But really, in the case of the Beatles, Beach Boys or the Stones, the catalogues are important enough to warrant the release of mono and stereo for every album where they exist.

There are some great mono/stereo twofers on CD that feature both mixes of an album on one CD:
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Buffalo Springfield (self-titled)
Love (self-titled)
Love - Da Capo
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society (3 CD set)
not to forget Pet Sounds.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 12:50:19 AM by Andreas » Logged
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2006, 08:55:11 AM »

Perhaps if EMI ever launches a download only service, we can make the mono albums available that way.

Would it be possible to let Rhino Handmade (or some other niche-market label, e.g. Audio Fidelity or Hip-O-Select) do a limited release of the mono mixes on a double CD? Because the five remaining mono albums could easily fit on two CDs (if it is okay to split the Little Deuce Coupe album). I would be all over such a release!!! All Summer Long (the album) is just perfect in mono.

Rhino Handmade only releases material owned by the Warner Music Group. They don't license outside material. Also I doubt EMI would license part of the Beach Boys catalog to a competitor.

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2006, 09:03:19 AM »

Still, i think the idea of a smaller, "vanity"-type pressing has its merits for this material.

Hm.  Say folks can download this from a BRI-authorized BB site...and they can download the mono mixes.  Would they then be inclined to purchase an actual disc of same??  If not, then the download is clearly the more cost-effective way to go...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2006, 10:42:28 AM »

Still, i think the idea of a smaller, "vanity"-type pressing has its merits for this material.

Hm.  Say folks can download this from a BRI-authorized BB site...and they can download the mono mixes.  Would they then be inclined to purchase an actual disc of same??  If not, then the download is clearly the more cost-effective way to go...

It certainly would be. EMI really needs a "handmade" type label and a download only label for their catalog, but until then it will be really difficult to get these kind of projects released imo. I have spoken to emi about this in the past and will continue to lobby for more collector's type packages, so we'll see....
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2006, 10:44:44 AM »

Mark,

Do you ever read/post on the TapeOp board? I read your interview a few issues ago and it was amazing! Smiley

thanks
-Joe

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2006, 03:07:15 PM »

It certainly would be. EMI really needs a "handmade" type label and a download only label for their catalog, but until then it will be really difficult to get these kind of projects released imo. I have spoken to emi about this in the past and will continue to lobby for more collector's type packages, so we'll see....

Mark, if there's something that the hard-core fan base can do to help push something like this over the top with EMI or whomever, please let us know.  There are a lot of people who would love to help lobby for this kind of thing.

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2006, 05:27:43 PM »

Mark, if there's something that the hard-core fan base can do to help push something like this over the top with EMI or whomever, please let us know.  There are a lot of people who would love to help lobby for this kind of thing.

Write to John Owen in the marketing dept at EMI with your requests. Couldn't hurt........
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2006, 02:19:11 PM »

There are some great mono/stereo twofers on CD that feature both mixes of an album on one CD:
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Buffalo Springfield (self-titled)
Love (self-titled)
Love - Da Capo
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society (3 CD set)
not to forget Pet Sounds.

and The Zombies, O&O is one of my favorites.

I believe here are certainly a lot songs that sound better in mono then stereo

(I guess when the vocals have very jazzy close harmony block chords (like difficult 7 , 9 , or 13 chords etc) it's better to put (blend) them together instead of to pan them Left-Right. 
These chords exist not for example of 3 or 4 independent melody lines, but belong together like the colors of one rainbow)

GREAT example. Like the colors of a rainbow. That was PERFECT.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2006, 11:57:59 PM »

Mark,

can you explain the history of California Girls stereo remixes?

The first one appeared on the first edition of the Endless Harmony soundtrack. Was that one done by Andrew Sandoval?
The second one appeared on the redone Endless Harmony soundtrack (with new front cover) and was done by you.
Now I read about another stereo remix, appearing on Sounds Of Summer. Is it a different remix, and if so, what did you change?
What mix appeared on Classics - Selected by Brian Wilson?

PS: A download version of the missing mono album mixes would also be great...provided it will be available in lossless compression, i.e. true CD quality.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 12:00:11 AM by Andreas » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2006, 12:17:18 PM »

Mark, will you please let us know anything about the Western/Cellos studio auction happening tomorrow, if you hear anything?
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2006, 06:31:01 PM »

Mr. Linett, do you have any clue as to the whereabouts of Brian's old white Baldwin organ (Mr. Desper suggested you might know)? Does Brian still own it? Does someone else own it? Did it just disappear or drop off the face of the earth?
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2006, 12:15:20 AM »

Mark, will you please let us know anything about the Western/Cellos studio auction happening tomorrow, if you hear anything?

I am more than pleased to report that Western Studios (Cello) has been saved. It was bought for a considerable sum and will hopefully be back in operation within 6 months.

Mark
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2006, 02:57:13 AM »

I am more than pleased to report that Western Studios (Cello) has been saved. It was bought for a considerable sum and will hopefully be back in operation within 6 months.

YES!!!
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2006, 03:11:57 AM »

Hooray!!!  That's great news - thanks for passing it along, Mark!

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2006, 05:48:09 AM »

WHOA. That's awesome news!

Watch out for snakes!
SurferGirl7
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2006, 12:23:01 PM »

Woo hoo!! What great news. I was worried about that place  Smiley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2006, 12:25:32 PM »

Can you reveal any details, Mark?  I'm ready for that sort of thing now that I've contained my weeping for joy.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »

Can you reveal any details, Mark?  I'm ready for that sort of thing now that I've contained my weeping for joy.

That's about all I know.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx