gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:45:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mark Linett Thread  (Read 244363 times)
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2006, 03:56:57 AM »

Hey Mark,
I gotta say that you're a magician! I was watching the SMiLE DVD last night and was mystified how you were able to mic so many different instruments & vocals and still make everything/everyone prominant in the mix. Amazing.

Now the question: How much post prod work was done to the actual recording?
Here's why I ask- I noticed a few times Brian's lips didn't quite match his recorded vocal. I was curious if this was due to video/audio synching to work done on the concert in post production. It was most notable in a few Windchimes snippets (a few other spots, too).

thanks loadz!
Kevin
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2006, 09:19:56 AM »

Hey Mark,
I gotta say that you're a magician! I was watching the SMiLE DVD last night and was mystified how you were able to mic so many different instruments & vocals and still make everything/everyone prominant in the mix. Amazing.

Now the question: How much post prod work was done to the actual recording?
Here's why I ask- I noticed a few times Brian's lips didn't quite match his recorded vocal. I was curious if this was due to video/audio synching to work done on the concert in post production. It was most notable in a few Windchimes snippets (a few other spots, too).

thanks loadz!
Kevin

Thanks for the positive review. We didn't do any overdubs on the DVD, the musical performance was edited together first from the best takes and then the video was matched to that performance. The director did use visuals from difft takes to create the video (not just the takes used for the audio) so that is likely what you  noticed although everyone worked very hard to keep everything in sync. Also, visuals can be funny in that they can be totally in sync but look out because of what the person is doing or how they are moving.

The entire show was of course mixed to picture in both stereo and 5.1 , and many adjustments were made both visually and sonically until everyone was totally satisfied with the perfromance. I think the mix took about four weeks total to complete.

Mark
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2006, 01:52:47 PM »

Hi, Mark.

Ever since the SMiLE vinyl came out, I've been amazed by the various bonus instrumental tracks that have been included in some of the 45's, ESQ freebies etc.

I was wondering if the whole of 'Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE' album might come out in instrumental form someday as a 'bonus disc' (perhaps) or internet download??

Just wondering what your thoughts are on that.

Ken.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2006, 08:04:50 PM »

Awesome Mark! Thanks loads!
I didn't realize they did more than one run through! Thankz. Thankz!!
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2006, 07:12:46 AM »

"I didn't realize they did more than one run through!"

They did two, as far as I know.

About the instrumental: How about instrumentals AND vocals-only?

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2006, 09:56:49 PM »

More than half the album has been released in instrumental form, spanning quite a few releases. It *would* be very nice indeed to have them all in one place *and* throw in the rest of the album instros, while you're at it!  Wink

Vocals only mixes, of course, are the bomb. I'd especially llove to hear a Mrs. O'Leary vox only version!  Cool

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2006, 06:44:31 AM »

Or "Our Prayer".  Grin

I think a vocal-only mix of "Heroes And Villains" would be mindblowing.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2006, 06:57:59 AM »

Do you?  Wink

Watch out for snakes!
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2006, 06:59:08 AM »

Undecided Mmhh. No.

dennyfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2006, 12:34:34 PM »

I do!  (and I did get the pun!)
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »

I get it too......now.  Embarrassed

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2006, 12:52:01 PM »

I meant no harm.

Watch out for snakes!
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2006, 08:31:52 AM »

Mark, here´s a qoute from the "Sound On Sound"-article:

"I had two setups on the grand piano that I could call on: a close-miked arrangement and a Mid + Side setup for the bigger-sounding numbers, like 'Surf's Up', where we wanted something more 'roomy'."

I always thought that, on SMiLE, keyboards were used instead of real pianos (which actually created a lot of heated discussions on this board). Could you please solve this mystery?

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2006, 09:00:37 AM »

My understanding is that the piano was real, only the harpsichord and tack piano sounds came from an electronic keyboard.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2006, 10:54:22 AM »

Shocked That would be some shockin news to me. In a really good way. To know that there is a REAL grand piano on "Surf´s Up" would made my day. I mean, with all this faked-piano-discussion I always assumed that EVERYTHING was faked (no, I´m not able to hear that  Embarrassed). The fact that we didn´t see a real piano in the "Recording SMiLE"-featurette convinced me even more. Or did I miss something?

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2006, 11:15:11 AM »

Shocked That would be some shockin news to me. In a really good way. To know that there is a REAL grand piano on "Surf´s Up" would made my day. I mean, with all this faked-piano-discussion I always assumed that EVERYTHING was faked (no, I´m not able to hear that  Embarrassed). The fact that we didn´t see a real piano in the "Recording SMiLE"-featurette convinced me even more. Or did I miss something?
Well the piano was there in the studio and was used throughout the recording. We also overdubbed an upright piano on sevreal sections at my studio.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2006, 11:18:03 AM »

Grin Thank you very much!

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2006, 01:11:27 PM »

Grin Thank you very much!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2006, 02:31:02 PM »

Do you have any pictures of this piano and Taylor Mills?  I won't believe it was there until you present a little more 'evidence'.   Wink
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2006, 03:28:25 PM »

Do you have any pictures of this piano and Taylor Mills?  I won't believe it was there until you present a little more 'evidence'.   Wink

You can't see her but Taylor is actually inside the piano doing the playing.  Darian's just faking it.........
Evenreven
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2006, 06:56:08 AM »

First, I would like to thank you for answering our questions, Mark. I speak for all when I say that we're very grateful!

This question might have been asked before, but I'll ask it anyway. Please disregard the post if it has already been answered.

Is there any plan of releasing mono mixes on cd of the early Beach Boys albums?

As most of you know, these albums have not been released in mono on cd:
-Surfin' USA
-Surfer Girl
-Little Deuce Coupe
-Shut Down vol. 2
-All Summer Long

What I've heard of these in mono (basically the All Summer Long album and the various mono mixes on the Good Vibrations box set) I absolutely love, and like better than the stereo mixes of the same songs. It's common knowledge that the stereo mixes were done without Brian Wilson's involvement, and that they in some cases were rushed. For that reason, I for one would be all over such releases. I like to think that there's a market for these kinds of releases, and I guess that that's what ultimately decides it?
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2006, 08:21:10 AM »

First, I would like to thank you for answering our questions, Mark. I speak for all when I say that we're very grateful!

This question might have been asked before, but I'll ask it anyway. Please disregard the post if it has already been answered.

Is there any plan of releasing mono mixes on cd of the early Beach Boys albums?

As most of you know, these albums have not been released in mono on cd:
-Surfin' USA
-Surfer Girl
-Little Deuce Coupe
-Shut Down vol. 2
-All Summer Long

What I've heard of these in mono (basically the All Summer Long album and the various mono mixes on the Good Vibrations box set) I absolutely love, and like better than the stereo mixes of the same songs. It's common knowledge that the stereo mixes were done without Brian Wilson's involvement, and that they in some cases were rushed. For that reason, I for one would be all over such releases. I like to think that there's a market for these kinds of releases, and I guess that that's what ultimately decides it?

This is an EMI decision, and there are no plans at present to release the mono versions of the albums or for that matter to create stereo versions of the albums that were never mixed in stereo  (Wild Honey, Smiley Smile, Today, Summer Days). We may see the release of some 1st time stereo mixes in the future, and I would hope that we find a way to release the mono albums as well.

Mark
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2006, 08:37:20 AM »

I really hope that happens with Wild Honey and Smiley Smile. That would be incredibly awesome.
Evenreven
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2006, 08:41:01 AM »

I hope so too. But I would actually want the mono releases more.

The choice to put out inferior stereo mixes of early 60s albums on cd instead of the better mono mixes is something that bugs me. The Beatles and Jan & Dean and many others are victims of the same thing.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2006, 10:09:22 AM »

I hope so too. But I would actually want the mono releases more.

The choice to put out inferior stereo mixes of early 60s albums on cd instead of the better mono mixes is something that bugs me. The Beatles and Jan & Dean and many others are victims of the same thing.

"inferior" is not the word I would use, and in fact Brian has asked that we use stereo mixes wherever possible on the most recent compilations. We also constantly get requests to create stereo mixes of mono only songs which we have done rather successfully I think over the years.

As far as the decision to use the stereo mixes on the twofers, we knew that either way some listeners were going to be upset with the choice of using the mono or the stereo versions of the albums. While the group's more ardent fans would probably prefer the mono, the vast majority of listeners (a far greater number of people) prefer stereo and so it was decided to go with what the larger group preferred. Not ideal, but the best solution since putting the single albums out in mono and stereo was not an option.

Ideally we would issue each album on a single CD with both the mono and stereo mixes plus bonus tracks, but I doubt the sales would justify the expense, and the highly regarded twofers would likely also get deleted as a result.  Perhaps if EMI ever launches a download only service, we can make the mono albums available that way.

I should mention that when the beatles catalog was first released on CD by Capitol the mono mixes were used and the public outcry was so extreme that they were redone with the more familiar (and popular) stereo mixes.

As they say, "you can't please all the people all of the time" , but I think we 've done a fairly good job with a really great and important catalog....

Mark
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx