gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mark Linett Thread  (Read 244338 times)
DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 19, 2016, 01:12:27 AM »

Pet Sounds in stereo is a revelation.  Great depth, dimension, and clarity.  The wonderful and well placed instrumentation is matched perfectly with the unsurpassed vocals that mesh so consistently with the always authentic lyrics that sync precisely with the raw and unfiltered emotions that flow seamlessly with the courageous transparency of Brian Wilson in this great work of art.   God only knows.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:17:06 AM by DRM » Logged
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 17, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »

Of specific interest to me was the I Believe In Miracles vocal snippet. A version had been circulating with this part edited on to sections from Can't Wait Too Long. As I understand it this edit was made by you in the 80s - is that correct? If so, could you please shed some light on Miracles' relationship with CWTL? It certainly fits musically on the booted edit. Did you put the pieces together because Miracles is an early snippet of what would grow into CWTL, perhaps you based it on a vintage Brian edit, or just for no other reason than the sections go well together?
Mark??
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 20, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »

Could the stereo treatment be given to Smile like with Pet Sounds? Thanks for your mixes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:32:55 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 23, 2016, 03:40:06 AM »

Mark Linett did an EXCELLENT job creating the stereo for Pet Sounds.  Unfortunately, there are some who think that the stereo Pet Sounds is overly compressed...and that the voices are too loud and upfront in the mix.  I think that is PURE nonsense.  I even think Mr. Linett might have stopped posting here... because someone posted a link to the Amazon.com reviews here, where complaints about the stereo Pet Sounds were expressed.  My thing is THIS:  There will ALWAYS be unenlightened naysayers and critics.  Who are either mono "purists" or just don't know what they're talking about.  This one thing I DO know...that the stereo Pet Sounds sounds GREAT to me.  And is SO much better than the mono Pet Sounds. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:50:45 PM by DRM » Logged
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 26, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:22:30 PM by sockittome » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 26, 2016, 04:09:16 PM »

Why would Mr. Linett stop posting *here* if the complaints were expressed in *Amazon*? I'm sure he's okay with fan reviews either way.
Many prefer mono to go with orig.idea, what Brian envisioned. I compared mono & stereo Pet Sounds - to me, the album sounds great in stereo. Except "You still believe in me", somehow the stereo didn't transform well to this one.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 26, 2016, 05:56:16 PM »

Why would Mr. Linett stop posting *here* if the complaints were expressed in *Amazon*? I'm sure he's okay with fan reviews either way.
Many prefer mono to go with orig.idea, what Brian envisioned. I compared mono & stereo Pet Sounds - to me, the album sounds great in stereo. Except "You still believe in me", somehow the stereo didn't transform well to this one.

If you go back a page or so...you'll see the Amazon.com link posted.  I don't know, maybe he stopped posting here...because someone here...chose to link the Amazon.com reviews?  I really don't know.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 26, 2016, 05:56:50 PM »

I can see why someone like Steve Desper probably wont do remixes and get involved in this side of it also, because of people saying
this or that, being a critic and 'its not as good as' blah blah.  I think a lot of people forget the whole effort of presenting 'Pet Sounds'
in stereo.  It was to show the more of the intricacies and beauty of Brian's masterpiece in another 'dimension'.  I don't believe they
set out to outdo or 'make it better' than what the original mix has become so famously for.  They were working in the analog relm,
no pro tools, and sequencing things with what they had.  This whole concept of opening up the doors on the album is what the
whole 'pet sounds' session box was all about in the first place, getting a glimpse of how Brian was such a genius of putting this stuff
together, hence the breakdown of all the parts, and yes, restructuring what a stereo mix 'may' have sounded like had Brian approached
his masterpiece that way.  I love the stereo, as you get to filter the instrumentation and hear things that get covered or misheard
in the mono.  I don't think it is better, but I still enjoy it, considering it was not designed to be in stereo in the first place.
The mono will be the definite version that will go down in the books, as this was 'Pet Sounds' as it was released in 66.
DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 26, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »

My stereo "Pet Sounds" states, either on the front or back cover or the liner notes, if I'm remembering correctly, that Brian Wilson approved the Stereo Version.

I can't remember if it states that he "supervised" the Stereo Version.  But it states, something to the effect...that he approved the Stereo Version.

I think, ultimately, the Stereo Version will be the Definitive..."Go To" Pet Sounds.

Brian was deaf in one ear.  This COULD have been a factor...affecting his Pet Sounds "Intentions"...

I'm sure he's very pleased with the stereo.

Or he wouldn't have let it be released.

Yes, to anyone that loves the mono, that's Great.

But, I MUCH prefer the Stereo.

Again, Excellent Job, Mr. Linett.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:14:38 PM by DRM » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 26, 2016, 06:29:16 PM »

If you go back a page or so...you'll see the Amazon.com link posted.  I don't know, maybe he stopped posting here...because someone here...chose to link the Amazon.com reviews?  I really don't know.
I see what you say - my point was the reviews were there, not here, i.e. they were not expressed here, just re-posted. But here or there, I'm sure it will not discourage Mr. Linett to post because some people didn't like stereo mix.

Yes, I too think Brian likes stereo. Iir he said it in some 2000s' interview.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 28, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »

Stephen Desper's stereo mixes of Heroes, Vegetables and Cabin Essence on the Study Videos should be used too. A stereo version allow Smile to breathe a little sonically.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:02:04 PM by PetSmile » Logged

DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 29, 2016, 03:23:29 AM »

Desper's Study Videos concerning H&V, Vega-Tables and Cabin Essence prove that his contributions would be useful. A stereo version would elevate Smile beyond anything sonically. It's important for securing its legacy. It'd be great if the GV commemorative release later this year considers this.

A very good suggestion.  Sir Stephen Desper's work is stellar...and greatly appreciated. 
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 03, 2016, 07:30:09 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhYPzl_0dR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzHkhZsM3Rg

Not a bad unofficial fan mix. These additional vocal parts flesh out 'Look' and 'Love to Say Dada'. I would also fly the flutes from Second Day into Love to Say Dada.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:48:02 PM by PetSmile » Logged

sixtiesstereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 18, 2016, 08:47:53 AM »

Mark, I don't know if you are still here, but if you are I have a non BB's question you
may be able to answer.
  I noticed recently that you engineered the soundtrack recordings for John Waters' 1990
film "Cry Baby". I love the movie, and bought the soundtrack back then, and the music, and
the recording quality, to this day, blows me away.
  But my question is, who were the studio musicians on those recordings?  I know that James Intveld
and Rachel Sweet did the main vocals, but nowhere have I ever seen credits for the musicians, anywhere.
I've been leaning toward the Wrecking Crew since 1990 due to sensational tight sound this group
achieved, but it could be an entirely different group (Dave Alvin, etc?).
  If you recall, or have access to the session sheets, any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
Or possibly a link to that info, which I've never been able to find.  THANKS!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 18, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »

I'm not Mark Linett (unfortunately) but I did find a few names here that may be of interest. Scroll down for Cry-Baby:

http://www.blastersnewsletter.com/newsletter/amer47.htm

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
sixtiesstereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:54 AM »

I'm not Mark Linett (unfortunately) but I did find a few names here that may be of interest. Scroll down for Cry-Baby:

Thanks!  The entire interview with Alvin regarding "Cry Baby" is exactly what I was
looking for.  He names those musicians used on the four rockabilly tracks, plus himself
and James Intveld on guitars.  I would never have found this out without the link
you provided, so thanks again......
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 19, 2016, 04:08:14 AM »

Thanks!  The entire interview with Alvin regarding "Cry Baby" is exactly what I was
looking for.  He names those musicians used on the four rockabilly tracks, plus himself
and James Intveld on guitars.  I would never have found this out without the link
you provided, so thanks again......

Glad I could help. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: January 24, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS to you Mark on the recognition of your engineering expertise for two (not one but two) of your albums by the prestigious Stereophile Magazine annual “Records to Die For 2017.”  The two albums, “The Beach Boys Today! & Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!)” plus “Brian Wilson, Live at the Roxy Theatre.”  ((Capitol CDP 7 93694 2 and Brimel 1001)) are given this acknowledgment.   

For those fans not familiar with this recognition, it is offered once a year. Qualified record reviewers, who only get one or two slots to make known their selections, choose the albums they consider to be the pillars of their collections, so it is a very hard to get listed.

Here’s a typical quote, “… this remarkable and timeless recording will make you feel as if you were there that historic weekend.”

See: Stereophile Magazine, Volume 40, Number 2 – February 2017

Thanks to you Mark, for these and other wonderful albums you have given us. A well deserved accreditation.

Good Listening,
~Stephen W. Desper
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 24, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »

Wow. Yes, congratulations, Mark Linett!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 24, 2017, 07:20:11 PM »

Congrats Mark! Stephen, please tell us you're here to stay

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 24, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »

My thanks Stephen and everyone. I had not heard about this.

Does someone have a link to the list ? I can only find 2016 not the one for this year, and the link in Stephen's message doesn't seem to work.

Best

Mark
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: January 24, 2017, 07:44:56 PM »

I couldn't find a direct link either, maybe it's subscription only until the next issue?

So, congrats and well-deserved congrats! Two phenomenal albums that sound amazing thanks to Mr. Linett. It is nice to see a newer live album like "Roxy" make the list, it is a terrific document of one of if not the best bands in the business performing on stage.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 24, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »

I've been listening to this Summer Days album all day and man the mixing of it is nothing short of incredible. Congratulations indeed and thank you for all your hard work!

Also, Mr. Desper it's wonderful to see you back here posting. Thanks for sharing this wonderful news!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 24, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »

Cool news! Stereophile sounds like very interesting magazine. Kudos to Mr. Linett!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:57:05 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: January 24, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »

My thanks Stephen and everyone. I had not heard about this.

Does someone have a link to the list ? I can only find 2016 not the one for this year, and the link in Stephen's message doesn't seem to work.

Best

Mark

COMMENT:

Hello Mark,  The issue is on the newstand now. Not on-line yet.  See page 77.
  ~swd
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx