gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:25:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mark Linett Thread  (Read 244357 times)
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2006, 12:37:12 AM »

Hi Mr Linett,

Apologies if you've addressed this question many times before. I've had a brief search of the topics but can't find anything.

How did you sequence 'Heroes Sections' on The Good Vibrations Boxset? I know that apart from the ending, it is identical to the mix you did in 88. Did you arrange the parts based on what sounded good together or were there clues in the 66/67 sessions from Brian, as to how he intended these sections to be sequenced? Domenic Priore in his book Look Listen Vibrate Smile suggests that for the large part of 'Sections', the latter is true.

I have heard one boot that has a mix where several sections are sequenced similarly to yours. Another poster suggestes that other boots have futher clues, although some on this board have suggested that the sequence of Heroes Sections was based on a Carl Wilson/Stephen Desper comp tape from 1972, that had nothing to do with Brian. It strikes there is some confusion about this specific track, so any light you could shed on this query would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ben

I just sequenced what sounded good..... I know we changed the end for the box so we didn't use a part of the Smiley version.... Mark

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 03, 2006, 01:38:45 AM »

Many thanks for replying so quickly Mark. I appreciate you clearing this up for me!

Ben

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #277 on: August 04, 2006, 06:10:31 AM »

Mark,

Something I've been curious about....why is the earlier Brian-only version of "Hang On To Your Ego" used on all the Pet Sounds CDs and the more complete, fully backed Beach Boys version only found on the GV Boxset?

Thanks!
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 04, 2006, 06:23:25 PM »

Mark,

Something I've been curious about....why is the earlier Brian-only version of "Hang On To Your Ego" used on all the Pet Sounds CDs and the more complete, fully backed Beach Boys version only found on the GV Boxset?

Thanks!

All has been forgiven..... buy the new anniversary edition. You will be pleased.
Mark
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2006, 06:23:24 AM »

Any chance the new Anniversary Edition of Pet Sounds will have "Caroline, No" at the correct speed, and not the speed at which Murry thought it should be?  (That is, a new mix from the new original master slowed down to it's correct speed?)  It probably doesn't bother most people, but I really don't like the speeded up version of the song any more, because I can tell Brian doesn't sound like he really should.  Thanks.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2006, 01:02:02 PM »

isnt it already released?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2006, 03:02:56 PM »

Any chance the new Anniversary Edition of Pet Sounds will have "Caroline, No" at the correct speed, and not the speed at which Murry thought it should be?  (That is, a new mix from the new original master slowed down to it's correct speed?)  It probably doesn't bother most people, but I really don't like the speeded up version of the song any more, because I can tell Brian doesn't sound like he really should.  Thanks.

The version you want is available on the PS boxset. We wouldn't alter the mix on the the regular version of the album after 40 years.

Mark

Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 08, 2006, 01:08:09 AM »

Mark,

1. When you mastered with HDCD, did you use the peak extension feature of HDCD?
2. What is you overall impression of HDCD compared to usual redbook?
3. Would you say that on a CD player without HDCD capability, a HDCD-encoded CD might sound worse than the same mastering without HDCD-encoding?
4. What are your thoughts on Dual Disc compared to a CD+DVD package?
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 08, 2006, 06:50:39 AM »

The version you want is available on the PS boxset. We wouldn't alter the mix on the the regular version of the album after 40 years.

Mark

Yes, the correct speed version is on the boxset.  I was just hoping that since you've now found the true mono master that you would also put "Caroline, No" on the new disc at the correct speed.  That way we would have the best sounding mono master along with the best sounding mono correct speed version of "Caroline, NO" all on one disc.  I didn't expect that you would get rid of the speeded up version, it just would have been nice to have the correct speed version as an extra cut, thereby having both versions on the same disc so we could easily choose between one or the other all in the best possible sound.

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2006, 10:03:55 AM »

Mark

Yes, the correct speed version is on the boxset.  I was just hoping that since you've now found the true mono master that you would also put "Caroline, No" on the new disc at the correct speed.  That way we would have the best sounding mono master along with the best sounding mono correct speed version of "Caroline, NO" all on one disc.  I didn't expect that you would get rid of the speeded up version, it just would have been nice to have the correct speed version as an extra cut, thereby having both versions on the same disc so we could easily choose between one or the other all in the best possible sound.

The "correct"  master is the one that has been on the album since 1966 .
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2006, 10:22:51 AM »

The "correct"  master is the one that has been on the album since 1966 .

Okay, if you want to get into semantics, I guess I should have said the "original speed" version.  That's the version I prefer.

No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2006, 12:43:09 PM »

I agree.  I find particulary the bridge vocal is absolutely breathtaking in the original speed.  In the original released version, it's just plain breathtaking.   Smiley
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 12:47:51 PM by 7and7is.....14 » Logged
Artie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2006, 03:34:38 PM »

Mark - I recently noted you did some co-engineering and mixing on Del Shannon's Rock On!, one of my favorite albums of all time...

A question...I see you worked with Mike Campbell and not with Jeff Lynne - it is obvious that Jeff Lynne uses the same sampled snare sound for all of his recordings, which seems to make whoever is drumming totally irrelevant - it all sounds the same, whether it is Jeff himself playing (like on his recent "Zoom") or Ringo Starr...

it seems Campbell did the same thing - the Campbell productions seem to have the same basic sound...can you comment on that snare sound? Is it a trigger Lynne brings to all of his sessions? Or does he mic the snare and dramatically alter the sound later?

Del's voice is so fresh and solid, it was truly a tragedy. How was he at those sessions? Anything you can give me would be great. I am a great admirer of your work with BW and elsewhere.

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 09, 2006, 03:30:07 PM »

Mark, I've got a dumb question for you. Everytime you remaster a song (thinking about the 45 of GV on the 40th anniversary disc) do you pull the "single reel" master out to use or is a digital safety copy used. Just wondering.

Bob Flory
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: August 10, 2006, 06:58:55 AM »

Mark - I recently noted you did some co-engineering and mixing on Del Shannon's Rock On!, one of my favorite albums of all time...

A question...I see you worked with Mike Campbell and not with Jeff Lynne - it is obvious that Jeff Lynne uses the same sampled snare sound for all of his recordings, which seems to make whoever is drumming totally irrelevant - it all sounds the same, whether it is Jeff himself playing (like on his recent "Zoom") or Ringo Starr...

it seems Campbell did the same thing - the Campbell productions seem to have the same basic sound...can you comment on that snare sound? Is it a trigger Lynne brings to all of his sessions? Or does he mic the snare and dramatically alter the sound later?

Del's voice is so fresh and solid, it was truly a tragedy. How was he at those sessions? Anything you can give me would be great. I am a great admirer of your work with BW and elsewhere.

Aaaaargh! The Jeff Lynne drum sound, its hideous. I wouldn't think it's a sample, just some twisted mind at work to try and resurrect the 'Ringo' sound. It sounds like someone banging a shed - most recently heard on Tom Pettys 'Highway companion' album!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: August 10, 2006, 10:25:37 AM »

Aaaaargh! The Jeff Lynne drum sound, its hideous. I wouldn't think it's a sample, just some twisted mind at work to try and resurrect the 'Ringo' sound. It sounds like someone banging a shed - most recently heard on Tom Pettys 'Highway companion' album!

The drum sound on Brin's colloboration with Lynne, "Let It Shine", sounds pretty good (meaning "normal").

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 10, 2006, 10:02:57 PM »

Sadly I only mixed several of the tracks after Del died and never got to meet him. His death was truly a geat loss...... Mark

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2006, 04:54:20 AM »

I've heard the "Jeff Lynne uses a sample" theory loads. I think it's garbage. He's been getting that drum sound since before samplers were used.
Plus I read a big article in a pro audio mag with Richard Dodd (Lynne's engineer) explaining how Jeff recorded.
I love Jeff's drum sound. I'd give my right one to get it on my records  Grin

Paul R.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2006, 05:48:45 PM »

Mark,
I'm totally digging Track 4 of the Good Vibrations single CD! Wow!! Beautiful, all true stereo instrumental version of the single!
How long did it take you to: 1 identify all the correct secxtions/takes? 2 put it together as a final mix?
Paul
P.S. Stereo nuts - you must get this, now.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 22, 2006, 07:26:52 PM »

Mark,
I'm totally digging Track 4 of the Good Vibrations single CD! Wow!! Beautiful, all true stereo instrumental version of the single!
How long did it take you to: 1 identify all the correct secxtions/takes? 2 put it together as a final mix?
Paul
P.S. Stereo nuts - you must get this, now.

It took quite a while and it is something I've been wanting to do for years. Glad you liked it.......Mark

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 27, 2006, 07:25:39 PM »

Hi Mark - Hope all is well.  Just listened to an advance copy of the Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary CD.  On the HDCD mono, the intro to "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is clear as a bell (clearer than any other mono version I've heard on CD; some have hiss, and some such as Hoffman's DCC Gold CD have a tape warble on the first note).  But right at the drum slam, the timbre of the guitar seems to change significantly -- thinner, and slightly less reverb.  By chance, did you have to edit on the intro from the multitracks to fix a bad source tape?

Very impressive package.  Great finally having the "Good Vibrations" promo film on DVD!

Take care,
Lee
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2006, 07:59:55 PM »

I pre-ordered my Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary CD/DVD from Amazon a couple weeks ago. I hope I get it this week!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 27, 2006, 08:23:34 PM »

Mark, I have a question.

I recently picked up a couple of import EMI GH packages from the mid-90s (Japan, UK, etc.). On some of these discs, there are Brother records tracks (from the Warner & CBS years). Now I understand that some of these tracks were clearly lifted from the GV Boxset. But, if the tracks had not yet been released on Capitol, did these foreign releases have to come to you  (meaning Brother et al) for these tracks?

I am thinking of The Dutch Singles collection for one that included Tears In The Morning, Student Demonstration Time and It's About Time. Also, a UK double CD from '95 had the 45 mix of Here Comes The Night as well as Sumahama and Lady Lynda. Since EMI had not released these tracks as of 1997, I was wondering how they got these for overseas release.

Thanks,

Bob Flory
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 30, 2006, 07:44:16 AM »

I just ordered the new "Pet Sounds" 40th Anniversary CD -- but now I'm reading that the CD has a credit for the Joe Gastwirt(SP?) 2000 Mono mix instead of a brand new mono mix from the recently discovered master; there's a drop-out in Sloop John B in the mono master that doesn't appear on any other CD's; and there are problems with some of the video transfers.  (For more info, see the other topic about it on this board.)  Any comment on these comments, Mark?

Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 30, 2006, 09:09:49 AM »

Per Mark on the Shut Down Vol. 2 message board (part of the Cabinesse site):

"The mono is remastered from a better original source tape. Someone at EMI messed up on the credits for the CD (and left off some thank yous as well)

Sorry for the confusion......

Mark"

That's a big omission on Capitol's part! But am glad Mark cleared that up so we
know the mono version is new!

Guess now we'll have to buy the corrected liner notes version like we did with the Endless Harmony cd ! *LOL* Is there a consipracy going on here? *VBG*

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx