gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:50:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mark Linett Thread  (Read 244423 times)
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 01, 2006, 05:39:08 PM »

Mark, when you record double track lead vocals is there anything special you do different to one of the tracks, like put it at  75%  volume versus the first one, or do drastic EQ so there isn't a frequency build up? I recorded someone who wanted 4 lead vocals of themselves up front. It was fine with one vocal but got harsher when each vocal was brought up in the mix. I had to cut a lot of midrange but finally got them to settle for just a double track.

Generally speaking the doubled vocal will have the same eq but be set about at about 2/3 rds the level of the 1st vocal. Changing the singer's position rlative to the mic can also make the sound more interesting... Mark
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 01, 2006, 05:40:17 PM »

Mark,
after reading the little conversation you had with someone on the blueboard about the Pet Sounds-stereo mix, I remembered something I always wanted to know.
On "I just wasn't made for these time" (mono) there a scratching sound or something like this after the opening lyric "I keep looking for a place to fit in, where I can speak my mind".  That sound only lasts for about a second but it's missing on the stereo-version. Can you explain what it is and why it was left out? Thank you...

I've been listening to the mono a lot lately and I don't hear a noise where you mention.... Mark
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 01, 2006, 10:02:41 PM »

Mark, what has been your philosophy when you've encountered a triple-tracked lead vocal to present in a stereo remix vs what you'd do with a double track?  I love what you've done in those instances.  In my own recording  experience, having all three leads more or less straight up the middle is "too much", but splitting them L-C-R seems almost less powerful than a double tracked lead.  Anyway, it's a fun challenge.
XY
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2006, 02:01:09 AM »

I've been listening to the mono a lot lately

Hehe, preparing the 40th Anniversary edition?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: June 02, 2006, 05:26:31 AM »

Mark,
after reading the little conversation you had with someone on the blueboard about the Pet Sounds-stereo mix, I remembered something I always wanted to know.
On "I just wasn't made for these time" (mono) there a scratching sound or something like this after the opening lyric "I keep looking for a place to fit in, where I can speak my mind".  That sound only lasts for about a second but it's missing on the stereo-version. Can you explain what it is and why it was left out? Thank you...

I've been listening to the mono a lot lately and I don't hear a noise where you mention.... Mark

Sorry, it's right at the "I" from "where I can speak my mind", not after this. It's kind of a scratching sound
And I don't know if you could call it noise, it's probably not a mistake or something. It's not on the "track-only" and not on the stereo-version, only on the mono-version. Just take that part and listen to it very carefully, after hearing it once, you will never overhear it again....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:28:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2006, 07:53:27 PM »

It sounds like a fluttery organ, almost. I discussed it with Josh a while ago, and he thought it was some artifact of noise from the mono mixdown, not an intentional 'note' or anything.

Watch out for snakes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: June 05, 2006, 04:39:33 AM »

It sounds like a fluttery organ, almost. I discussed it with Josh a while ago, and he thought it was some artifact of noise from the mono mixdown, not an intentional 'note' or anything.

Well, that could be.
I really like this sound. Sounds kinda like a duck (to me) or something, and that's only fitting on "Pet Sounds"....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt Allison
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2006, 08:49:57 PM »

...sounds like two balloons being rubbed together.

BTW, I had a Japanese cd of PS before the official Capitol release and it did not have the bonus tracks on it. It was also eq'd completely differently. A lot brighter. I wish I still had it, but I gave it away when I got the official release.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2006, 07:46:16 AM »

Hey Mark, I just want to mention that I was impressed with the engineering work you did on Grant-Lee Phillips' cover of "Love My Way" off his new album. It's easily the best sounding track on there. However, I was sorry to see your name misspelled again in the liner notes!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:17:36 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2006, 08:53:22 AM »

Thanks. I didn't even know it had been released. And if it wasn't a bit late in the game maybe I'd change my name in order to get it spelled right.

Mark
TigerManHI
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 13, 2006, 01:04:55 AM »

Mark,

I have the DVD-Audio of Brian Wilson Live At The Roxy.  My DVD player can play it and gives me great 5.1 sound.  There is a DVD-Audio available right now of Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys.

The CD/DVD release on 8/29 according to the press release  Pet Sounds And Good Vibrations 40th Anniversary: Press Release From Capitol says the DVD contains some documentaries, some promo materials and this:
 * DVD also contains Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound and Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Stereo audio mixes of Pet Sounds + Hi-Res 96 kHz/24-bit PCM Mono audio mix of bonus track “Hang On To Your Ego”

Is there a good reason to purchase the DVD-Audio of Pet Sounds?  I definitely plan to purchase the CD/DVD release.  Am I purchasing virtually the same audio on both DVDs?  Yesterday, I purchased and watched Brian Wilson Pet Sounds Live in London.  It was great sound-wise.  You could get a little dizzy with all the camera shots switching by so quickly.

What do you advise?

Aloha & mahalo, Joe   Afro   Cool
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 13, 2006, 09:17:41 AM »

You'd probably want both for difft. reasons. The new CD/ DVD combo will have a new remaster of the original mono album which is the best it has ever sounded on CD imo.
Plus the DVD contains a great bunch of videos some previously unavailable on disc.

The new DVD only has the 5.1 mix in dolby digital so if you have a DVD-A player you should also get the PS DVD-A disc for the highest fidelity sound in surround. In addition that disc contains bonus tracks not on the new DVD.

Hope that helps...... Mark
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2006, 11:11:19 AM »

IMO, The DVD-A is worth having for the "Summer Means New Love" mixes alone.  What an unexpected treat that was.
XY
« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2006, 02:34:04 AM »

IMO, The DVD-A is worth having for the "Summer Means New Love" mixes alone.  What an unexpected treat that was.

Absolutely! Just out of interest, why wasn't "Trombone Dixie" included?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2006, 11:03:59 AM »

ok, so when is the pet sounds cd/dvd release going to happen? and (i dont mean to complain), but is it gonna be available in a wide selection of areas (unlike the GV single release)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TigerManHI
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2006, 11:13:15 AM »

ok, so when is the pet sounds cd/dvd release going to happen? and (i dont mean to complain), but is it gonna be available in a wide selection of areas (unlike the GV single release)

According to Capital, it will be released on August 29, 2006.  Amazon.com is taking orders on it already.  It is a limited edition release.
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 17, 2006, 01:33:13 PM »

I'm sure that part of the problem with the GV single is that it was a single.  CD singles just aren't everywhere these days, even for current pop tunes, let alone a reissue for collection purposes.

TigerManHI
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 17, 2006, 02:30:09 PM »

The Good Vibrations Anniversary CD "single" is available on Amazon.com now.

Aloha, Joe
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2006, 12:31:08 AM »

Stuff like the GV single is usually easiest to just order on Amazon. However, I did see (and purchase) a copy of the new GV CD single at a Best Buy. It was marked at $9.99 but rang up at $7.99. This was a Best Buy with an otherwise particularly horrendous selection. I think they had like a million copies of "Sounds of Summer", one copy of the GV single, and that was it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2006, 03:31:24 AM »

.. and I think I .. erm .. snagged that one  Grin

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2006, 12:27:04 PM »

man.. i don't want to buy Pet Sounds again..  but i feel the need.

i love that album.

i also, luckily, had no problem finding the GV single at the local best buy.  i probably wouldn't have bothered ordering it online.. because when you add shipping to that: just who is ripping off whom.
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2006, 03:42:54 PM »

Yes, but the tax would be just as much if not more. I don't see where it's a rip-off.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
onatrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2006, 09:49:56 AM »

Hi, first time post.

Am I missing something in reading that the PS 40th anniversay CD/DVD only contains the stereo mix and HOTYE in high resolution?  Where is the new mono mix in high-res?
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 10:23:27 AM by Andreas » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 03, 2006, 12:32:46 AM »

Hi Mr Linett,

Apologies if you've addressed this question many times before. I've had a brief search of the topics but can't find anything.

How did you sequence 'Heroes Sections' on The Good Vibrations Boxset? I know that apart from the ending, it is identical to the mix you did in 88. Did you arrange the parts based on what sounded good together or were there clues in the 66/67 sessions from Brian, as to how he intended these sections to be sequenced? Domenic Priore in his book Look Listen Vibrate Smile suggests that for the large part of 'Sections', the latter is true.

I have heard one boot that has a mix where several sections are sequenced similarly to yours. Another poster suggestes that other boots have futher clues, although some on this board have suggested that the sequence of Heroes Sections was based on a Carl Wilson/Stephen Desper comp tape from 1972, that had nothing to do with Brian. It strikes there is some confusion about this specific track, so any light you could shed on this query would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ben

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx