gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:53:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mark Linett Thread  (Read 244342 times)
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2006, 09:52:12 AM »

Mark, do you know something about the version of "Summer means new love" with vocals, heard in "An american band"? Is it there in the vaults and how "complete" is it?

Are you sure this is geniune? It sounds to me like someone just playing the chords on piano and someone who sounds a lot like Jeff Fosket singing. There's more solo piano tunes on A.B such as "Girls on the beach" and ,if I recall correctly, "Do you like worms?".
I don't think vocals were ever recorded for the '65 version.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2006, 10:00:41 AM »

Mark, do you know something about the version of "Summer means new love" with vocals, heard in "An american band"? Is it there in the vaults and how "complete" is it?

Are you sure this is geniune? It sounds to me like someone just playing the chords on piano and someone who sounds a lot like Jeff Fosket singing. There's more solo piano tunes on A.B such as "Girls on the beach" and ,if I recall correctly, "Do you like worms?".
I don't think vocals were ever recorded for the '65 version.

I am not sure, but I think it's likely that this are the BBs. But I could be wrong

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2006, 09:36:05 AM »

Hi Mark

In a press-release, Brian´s daughter Carnie revealed some news about her dad:

...Wilson has been in and out of the studio over the past six months recording songs that he claims will be for an upcoming "rock and roll" record...

Does "recording" means he´s working with you and the whole band or just laying down some demos? Are the background vocals done by the band? What does the production sound like? Are these newly written songs? And ... uhm ... are they good (compared to "Christmasey" or "WIRWFC" for example)?

You are probably not allowed to talk about it, or you just don´t want to, but I´m really looking forward to a reply.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2006, 08:38:18 AM »

Hi Mark,

I'm trying to find out at what speed recordings were generally made in the 60's.  Say, circa 66-67, and I mean at the tracking stage.  Was it 30 ips or 15 ips?

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »

Hi Mark,

I'm trying to find out at what speed recordings were generally made in the 60's.  Say, circa 66-67, and I mean at the tracking stage.  Was it 30 ips or 15 ips?

15 ips all the way for the most part. Certainly all the Beach Boys recordings were done that way.

Mark
Day Tripper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2006, 03:06:10 PM »

Mark, In the Sound on Sound article from 2004, it states "Brian's leads through May and into June, recording for the most part on a Neumann U67 or an old Shure 545 dynamic, running through Universal Audio 610 and 610a valve mic preamps (just as on the '60s recordings)." I was curious, what determined the choice of mic? Was it dependent on the dynamics of the song? I have a Neumann TL 103 I run through a Manley Vox Box for most of the vocals I record. When I record a punk band, I usually give them an SM 58 or 57 to sing through because they are so loud and spitty. The most problems I have are with singers that go from a whisper to extremely loud SPL during a song. Should I use a limiter or just use mild compression and ride the gain? Any thoughts on the new Korg Oasys keyboard vs the Kurzweil 2600? I really appreciate  having access to you and Mr. Desper on this forum. It is an honor.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »

Mark, In the Sound on Sound article from 2004, it states "Brian's leads through May and into June, recording for the most part on a Neumann U67 or an old Shure 545 dynamic, running through Universal Audio 610 and 610a valve mic preamps (just as on the '60s recordings)." I was curious, what determined the choice of mic? Was it dependent on the dynamics of the song? I have a Neumann TL 103 I run through a Manley Vox Box for most of the vocals I record. When I record a punk band, I usually give them an SM 58 or 57 to sing through because they are so loud and spitty. The most problems I have are with singers that go from a whisper to extremely loud SPL during a song. Should I use a limiter or just use mild compression and ride the gain? Any thoughts on the new Korg Oasys keyboard vs the Kurzweil 2600? I really appreciate  having access to you and Mr. Desper on this forum. It is an honor.

Thanks. The decision was mostly arbitrary since we were overdubbing the leads. If the chosen mic didn't sound good , we'd switch but in all honesty either one would have worked fine for the entire project.

Mark
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »

Mark, in your experience, have you found there to be much difference between the older R45 dynamic cartridge as used in the 545 and the current version found in the 545-ld or whatever it's called shure is selling new these days?
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2006, 01:36:45 PM »

Mark, in your experience, have you found there to be much difference between the older R45 dynamic cartridge as used in the 545 and the current version found in the 545-ld or whatever it's called shure is selling new these days?

I wasn't aware there was a current 545 only the SM-57 which sounds most like the older 545 to me.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2006, 01:39:50 PM »

Yeah, this baby:

http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/545.asp

I bought one a couple years ago and I think it sounds better than the sm57.  The capsules actually are slightly different.  I don't like the switch, though.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2006, 12:32:55 PM »

Yeah, this baby:

http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/545.asp

I bought one a couple years ago and I think it sounds better than the sm57.  The capsules actually are slightly different.  I don't like the switch, though.

My understanding is the 545 was preatty much a  57 w/ less quality control. In other words 2- sm-57's should sound more alike than 2- 545's (which I believe are no longer in production) and 57's should sound like the best 545's. You may have a 545 w/ a "sound" you like better, but 57's are  more consistant.

I have a large number of 57's and 56'S (57 on a swivel w/ a shockmount) Also 4- 545's and 7 or 8 of the "pro" version w/ the shockmount and swivel like the SM-56. All lovely and most useful. You could easily make a great record using nothing but 545's and 57's , and many have.

as for the switch on yr. 545, turn the little plate below the switch  around and it will be locked in the on position...... Mark
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2006, 03:32:01 PM »

Nice article, I thought I put the link into this thread : http://www.zioshow.com/viewnews.php?id=7652

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2006, 03:43:42 PM »

My thanks to the folk at API for putting up the article.....

Mark
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 09, 2006, 05:59:17 PM »

This has been maybe my number one vault question (not relating to SMiLE) for twenty years.  The last time I went through "An American Band"(on DVD) I couldn't pick up where it was, for some reason, so I'd held up posting about it.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 10, 2006, 10:28:23 AM »

This has been maybe my number one vault question (not relating to SMiLE) for twenty years.  The last time I went through "An American Band"(on DVD) I couldn't pick up where it was, for some reason, so I'd held up posting about it.

yeah, where is it?  I dont remember hearing it on the American Band DVD?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 10, 2006, 11:20:40 AM »

it's on chapter 5, where they're talking about how they can't surf

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2006, 02:16:29 PM »

How many minutes is that into the film? I only have an old video of it..
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2006, 10:16:01 PM »

maybe 15 or so, it's shown over stock footage of surfing and homevideos of the boys..

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
XY
« Reply #243 on: May 11, 2006, 10:44:22 AM »

I never paid much attention to it before, I thought it's the bridge of "Surfer Girl".
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2006, 03:32:42 PM »

I just listened to it, its harmonyvocals that goes "uuuu" over the melodyline, sounds great! Or hmmm, I guess its just an illusion, since I always thinks its totally marvelous to hear some vintage beachboysharmonies I had never heard before. =)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 03:35:37 PM by Rockard » Logged
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2006, 10:40:28 PM »

Whether i've heard 'em before or not, Beach Boys harmonies are always keen!

The frightening thing is that i mean that...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2006, 11:01:18 AM »

Mark,

Here's a question about the Pet Sounds DVD-A.

What, technically speaking, is the difference between the two sides? I know one is for pukka DVD-A players and one is compatible with DVD-video players. The DVD-A side definately sounds more smooth to my ears and I can pick out more details...while perhaps the DVD-Video side has brighter highlights. Or am I imagining things?

I prefer the DVD-A side. Sounds more natural...
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 19, 2006, 11:10:25 AM »

Mark,

Here's a question about the Pet Sounds DVD-A.

What, technically speaking, is the difference between the two sides? I know one is for pukka DVD-A players and one is compatible with DVD-video players. The DVD-A side definately sounds more smooth to my ears and I can pick out more details...while perhaps the DVD-Video side has brighter highlights. Or am I imagining things?

I prefer the DVD-A side. Sounds more natural...

Sorry, I'm not Mark, but I'm certain he would point out that the difference is due to the advanced resolution of the DVD-A side ("high-definition audio" if you'd like) which features a much higher sampling rate than a standard CD. The DVD video side presents the mix in a compressed Dolby Digital format and a slightly less compressed DTS format, both are acceptable but neither are technically better than a standard CD; some would say the quality is inherently worse than a well-mastered standard CD.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2006, 06:43:19 AM »

Mark,
after reading the little conversation you had with someone on the blueboard about the Pet Sounds-stereo mix, I remembered something I always wanted to know.
On "I just wasn't made for these time" (mono) there a scratching sound or something like this after the opening lyric "I keep looking for a place to fit in, where I can speak my mind".  That sound only lasts for about a second but it's missing on the stereo-version. Can you explain what it is and why it was left out? Thank you...

- Jack Rieley
Day Tripper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 01, 2006, 05:32:39 PM »

Mark, when you record double track lead vocals is there anything special you do different to one of the tracks, like put it at  75%  volume versus the first one, or do drastic EQ so there isn't a frequency build up? I recorded someone who wanted 4 lead vocals of themselves up front. It was fine with one vocal but got harsher when each vocal was brought up in the mix. I had to cut a lot of midrange but finally got them to settle for just a double track.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx