gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:45:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mark Linett Thread  (Read 244517 times)
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 15, 2006, 08:46:32 AM »

Mark,

Still Crusin’: Any chance of a resurrection of this album? 20th Anniversary Edition with bells and whistles? Filled out with valid odds and ends, like “Rock and Roll to the Rescue”, “Lady Liberty”, “Spirit of Rock and Roll”, etc? Perhaps coupled with Summer in Paradise?

There’s a massive demand for these albums! Listen to the screams of the fans!

(crickets chirping)

No, seriously. The addition of this 2-fer would give us the complete body of work readily available. Tell the suits that they need to release it!

Was there any consideration of this album when the Brother 2-fers were prepared?

Taint likely........
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #201 on: March 15, 2006, 09:02:00 AM »

Well, I have nothing to live for now.....

Never will I get to hear "Island Girl" in 24-bit sound.

Sad

Meanwhile, Capitol wastes money on worthless American Beatle album reissues.

PAH!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2006, 09:09:28 AM »

Meanwhile, Capitol wastes money on worthless American Beatle album reissues.

Worthless to casual fans.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2006, 09:15:27 AM »

I wouldn't call myself a "casual fan", yet I don't feel the need to splurge on redundant and often lesser versions of Beatle albums.

To each his own, eh?
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2006, 10:12:54 AM »

Mark,

thanks for the reply.

I don't believe Hoffman had the original master in 93 for the DCC release .
 My recollection is he had to use the NY copy and since we had already discovered the master had dissapeared from Capitol, I would likely recall (as would EMI) if he was the last one to use the original master. In addition I believe we did the GV box before the DCC of PS and I know the analog master had gone missing by then.

Steve said that he had the original master tape for the DCC (1993). He also said that WIBN had to be mastered from the NY tape (because it being duophonic on the master), and the same thing needed to be done for part of the Banana & Louie coda. Do you think that is wrong?

The Japanese Pastmaster CD is from the same denoised master as the US version in 1990. EMI in Japan just jumped the gun and released the CD without the band's approval.

Wasn't there a Japanese release before the Pastmasters (1989) Pet Sounds disc? I have never seen it, but often read about it.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »

Wasn't there a Japanese release before the Pastmasters (1989) Pet Sounds disc? I have never seen it, but often read about it.

Yes, there indeed was...earlier in 1989, on Capitol Japan's "Greenline 2800" series (the copyright date is 1987, but it definitely did not get released until early '89).  Got one that year myself, BTW, and it wasn't easy (in the pre-internet days).  Had to jump through some hoops, since not only was it an import but it also was yanked almost immediately after release.  The later Japanese Past Master version was much more readily available, and speaking of that series, "I Get Around" on "All Summer Long" is duphonic...perhaps for the same reason.   I seem to recall the first  Japanese 1989 "Pet Sounds" not having quite the fidelity of the 1990 U.S. issue, but I will have to do a comparison to see.

C-Man
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2006, 11:04:46 AM »

Yes, there indeed was...earlier in 1989, on Capitol Japan's "Greenline 2800" series (the copyright date is 1987, but it definitely did not get released until early '89).  Got one that year myself, BTW, and it wasn't easy (in the pre-internet days).  Had to jump through some hoops, since not only was it an import but it also was yanked almost immediately after release.  The later Japanese Past Master version was much more readily available, and speaking of that series, "I Get Around" on "All Summer Long" is duphonic...perhaps for the same reason.   I seem to recall the first  Japanese 1989 "Pet Sounds" not having quite the fidelity of the 1990 U.S. issue, but I will have to do a comparison to see.

C-Man

If it has the bonus tracks on it then its the same as the US 1st CD. We finished it in 88 or 89 but it was help up for approval in the US. The Japanese division jumped the gun and released it early.

SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2006, 03:20:40 PM »

Mark --

No questions, just a 'thank you' for taking the time to pass along all this info.  Wink

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »

Mark,

Still Crusin’: Any chance of a resurrection of this album? 20th Anniversary Edition with bells and whistles? Filled out with valid odds and ends, like “Rock and Roll to the Rescue”, “Lady Liberty”, “Spirit of Rock and Roll”, etc? Perhaps coupled with Summer in Paradise?

There’s a massive demand for these albums! Listen to the screams of the fans!

(crickets chirping)

No, seriously. The addition of this 2-fer would give us the complete body of work readily available. Tell the suits that they need to release it!

Was there any consideration of this album when the Brother 2-fers were prepared?

Summer in Paradise...I borrowed it from the library and I wish I had .mp3d it cuz its hard to find now...IMHO its not's bad as you might think...the only thing I really dont like is that John Stamos gets the last vocal on the last song on the last (for now) beach boys original album...

I like the updated version of "Surfin"...The cover of Sly and the Family stones was good too...I was expecting a horrible album and found I liked it (not classic but I didn't hate it for sure!!!) it surprised me...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2006, 03:36:04 PM »

Mark: the track "Surfin" sounds muddy on my 1990 2fer Surfin Surfari/SUSA CD...is the master not in good condition? I guess its 45 years now since it was recorded....

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2006, 05:33:56 PM »

Or it was smothered in no-noise.  Grin

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2006, 10:43:46 PM »

Mark: the track "Surfin" sounds muddy on my 1990 2fer Surfin Surfari/SUSA CD...is the master not in good condition? I guess its 45 years now since it was recorded....
The actual master for the track "Surfin'" is from the Hite-Morgan sessions. That master was used for the "Lost And Found 1961-1962" CD and for the GV box set, at the correct speed. It sounds much better than the sped-up-copy used for the album.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2006, 01:28:22 PM »

Quote from: yrplace

BTW we are hoping to have both a new vinyl and mono release of PS out before long as we recently found a much better master than the one we've been forced to use for the past 15 years or so. No definate schedule for the re-release yet, but the improvement is dramatic..

hope you like the PS DVD-A. You might want to pick up the  "Live at The Roxy" DVD-A as well. You can get it online from Rhino and I think there's a link to it on Brian's website.

Mark

First off the PS DVD-A...well it's awesome! Definately better than the Simply Vinyl release, the vocals and high frequencies are generally much clearer. Bass still a little wooly but maybe that's a result of recording techniques? One can hear the tape hiss...and even a quite humming that sounds like it must have been on the original masters...as well as some intended musical moments that aren't on the Simply Vinyl release.

So far I've listened to the 5.1 mix and the advanced resolution mono. Honestly not sure which I prefer at this point.

BTW Mark I already have the DVD-A of Live @ The Roxy, seems to capture the ambience of a live performance very well.

A new vinyl release (mono *please*) from a better master would be another must-have for me...assuming I never get hold of the original release!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2006, 05:30:32 PM »

Hey Mark.  I know you've noted that the Powers That Be aren't interested in Stereo Remixes of Today/Summer Days.  But if this suddenly changed would remixes be difficult or easy?  Are all the materials there for a remix like Pet Sounds?  Are there any missing vocal tracks that would prevent a perfect remix?  I think these two albums are dying for a Pet Sounds treatment, and just as deserving.  Also, is there any chance of another compilation like Hawthorne, CA where you could include more remixes from these two albums?
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2006, 06:14:34 PM »

Hey Mark.  I know you've noted that the Powers That Be aren't interested in Stereo Remixes of Today/Summer Days.  But if this suddenly changed would remixes be difficult or easy?  Are all the materials there for a remix like Pet Sounds?  Are there any missing vocal tracks that would prevent a perfect remix?  I think these two albums are dying for a Pet Sounds treatment, and just as deserving.  Also, is there any chance of another compilation like Hawthorne, CA where you could include more remixes from these two albums?

Some tracks would be impossible to remix in stereo because certain elements were played live as the mono mix was being made. These include "Help Me Rhonda", ""Do You Wanna Dance" and "Girl Don't Tell Me" for example.

I suspect we will continue to present individual new stereo mixes as time goes on, but don't know when or if we will ever get to do the complete (or as much as possible) albums.

Mark
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2006, 08:42:42 AM »

I'd love a stereo Wild Honey before anything else.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2006, 09:00:11 AM »

I'd love a stereo Wild Honey before anything else.

There would be problems with some of those tracks as well.

Mark
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2006, 12:27:05 PM »

Are the vocals pretty much all there and in tact for the Today and SD&SN tracks, Mark?  I think people would be less likely to care about missing piano solos or 12-string electric guitar breaks than missing vocals.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2006, 12:51:33 PM »

Otherwise, vocals-only mixes (and/or complete backing tracks) would be great to hear...

Watch out for snakes!
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2006, 01:00:07 PM »

Are the vocals pretty much all there and in tact for the Today and SD&SN tracks, Mark?  I think people would be less likely to care about missing piano solos or 12-string electric guitar breaks than missing vocals.

It varies. Some vocals and piano are missing on Rhonda. The solo is missing on Do You Wanna Dance. Guitars on Girl Don't Tell Me etc.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2006, 01:01:23 PM »

Mark, do you know something about the version of "Summer means new love" with vocals, heard in "An american band"? Is it there in the vaults and how "complete" is it?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2006, 01:11:37 PM »

Mark, do you know something about the version of "Summer means new love" with vocals, heard in "An american band"? Is it there in the vaults and how "complete" is it?

Not in the band's archives. It would appear that someone "forgot" to return it.
dennyfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »

Mark,

Change of subject, I was wondering which kind of engineering job you enjoy the most - working on brand new material with Brian, with all the opportunities for top fidelity and excitement of working on new material that brings - or working on remixes of the classic material, tweaking the frankly superior compositions and performances. (NO disrespect meant to the current band here, just that the 60's/70's stuff was SO good)

The two kinds of works must be very different kinds of work and I was curious what satisfaction you got from working with them
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2006, 08:40:13 AM »

Mark,

Change of subject, I was wondering which kind of engineering job you enjoy the most - working on brand new material with Brian, with all the opportunities for top fidelity and excitement of working on new material that brings - or working on remixes of the classic material, tweaking the frankly superior compositions and performances. (NO disrespect meant to the current band here, just that the 60's/70's stuff was SO good)

The two kinds of works must be very different kinds of work and I was curious what satisfaction you got from working with them

Well yes they are two difft. kinds of things. I love to be a part of creating something new for an artist, recording it from scratch. I especially like live recording because it is about the performance of a group of people playing together.

That said getting to work with and rework classic recordings is a great thrill because those are the records that made me want to be an engineer in the first place.

I guess you could say I never made a record I didn't like.

Mark
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2006, 08:50:29 AM »

How was it working with Los Straitjackets?

Watch out for snakes!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx