gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:06:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Article: Brian Wilson on Chuck Berry and upcoming Rock & Roll album  (Read 9576 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »

Pleasure Island is my dream! Cool

It'd be a covers album. Not that there' s anything wrong with it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »

Brian doing a whole album of Chuck Berry songs? Could you imagine that? What would the tracklist be like? Interesting....

A Brian-arranged version of Chuck's Havana Moon could certainly have potential to be really good.

Mind you, a Brian version of Chuck's Memphis Tennessee could make for a companion piece to Hey Little Tomboy and I Wanna Pick Ypu Up  Grin .
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 03:21:26 PM »

I suspect that quote will be engraved on his headstone:  "The next album is going to be a rock and roll album!"
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »

Brian's been saying his next album will be a rock & roll set since Imagination.

This is true. I remember reading about it in an interview promoting "Imagination" for the now-defucnt Raygun magazine. "Proud Mary" was the song Brian said he was working on. This "rock and roll" album is growing to mythical SMiLE-like proportions. In 3 years will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of it never having been finished.  Grin
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »

This is true. I remember reading about it in an interview promoting "Imagination" for the now-defucnt Raygun magazine. "Proud Mary" was the song Brian said he was working on. This "rock and roll" album is growing to mythical SMiLE-like proportions. In 3 years will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of it never having been finished.  Grin
I heard that Brian recorded the "rock and roll album" but he burned some of the tapes because the guitars were causing bad vibrations. Expect a release date of January 2067.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 05:53:39 PM »

Old people repeat themselves.    Have you ever noticed this?      Old people repeat themselves.     they forget they have already mentioned something.    Have you ever noticed how old people repeat themselves?  they forget they may have already mentioned something.    sometimes they just go on and on.    They repeat themselves.   
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »

Old people repeat themselves.    Have you ever noticed this?      Old people repeat themselves.     they forget they have already mentioned something.    Have you ever noticed how old people repeat themselves?  they forget they may have already mentioned something.    sometimes they just go on and on.    They repeat themselves.   

Word.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2015, 07:33:53 PM »

The Andy Paley sessions are probably the closest we will get to a rock and roll album.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2015, 11:01:03 PM »

At least berrys people sued the beatles too. They were a cover band til 64, jus like the stones were a cover band til late 65. The BBs were orig from the getgo.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2015, 11:27:11 PM »

At least berrys people sued the beatles too. They were a cover band til 64, jus like the stones were a cover band til late 65. The BBs were orig from the getgo.

Errr...but The Beatles song that the lawsuit was over was "Come Together", a song from 1969.

And The Beatles being a "cover band" 'til '64 you say? I think the songs "Please Please Me", "Love Me Do", "All My Loving", "She Loves You" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand" amongst quite a few others would like to have a word with you. And their cover versions? Well, if "Please Mister Postman", "Money", "Roll Over Beethoven" and "Twist and Shout" suck, well I wanna hear something good!

And even if we say that the "getgo" of The Beatles is 1958 instead of 1962, well they had originals even then. A little number called "In Spite Of All The Danger", written by McCartney and Harrison. And yeah, it sounds a bit like "Tryin' to Get to You" by Elvis, but whatever! Still a LOVELY original tune. In 1958.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 11:27:23 PM »

And since we are talking Chuck, when is Berry's next album coming out? He's been promising a new album since at least 1985. If you don't count the soundtrack to Hail Hail Rock 'N' Roll, his last was Rockit, summer 1979.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 11:29:44 PM »

And since we are talking Chuck, when is Berry's next album coming out? He's been promising a new album since at least 1985. If you don't count the soundtrack to Hail Hail Rock 'N' Roll, his last was Rockit, summer 1979.

Unfortunately Lonely Summer, I don't think that's ever gonna happen. I don't know if Chuck's ever ruled it out, but I can't see it happening. I know that Little Richard has ruled it out for himself though. At least Jerry Lee Lewis is still making new stuff though.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2015, 11:36:49 PM »

I know the beatles had originals in the beginning but it was george martin that made them, without him they were unpolished and unable to self.produce...even when brian wasnt in.charge the BBs still put out a half dozen great albums after pet sounds and could still perform live yet the beatles collapsed after revolver and became an ego driven.studio group as was the pop culture of the late 60s/early 70s..
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 11:50:48 PM »

I know the beatles had originals in the beginning but it was george martin that made them, without him they were unpolished and unable to self.produce...even when brian wasnt in.charge the BBs still put out a half dozen great albums after pet sounds and could still perform live yet the beatles collapsed after revolver and became an ego driven.studio group as was the pop culture of the late 60s/early 70s..

Hey man, I think Brian is amazing that he's been able both perform and produce on so many albums. However, just because George Martin produced The Beatles doesn't mean that all those early songs mean nothing. To be honest, the whole "George Martin aura" doesn't really start for many 'til like Help! or Rubber Soul or Revolver where things like strings, backwards tapes, sped-up tapes and whatnot became part of the deal. Before then, it was pretty much just raw rock 'n roll and a few ballads. Which, to take nothing away from George Martin, very well might have been huge even without him. For a fan of the concise pop of the Ramones to not give credit for the pure pop songwriting of the early Beatles is baffling to me.

And the playing live thing? Are you kidding? The Beach Boys were surely NOT looked at as a live juggernaut after the mid '60s til the early '70s Jack Rieley era. Basically their live fortunes turned around when Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar joined The Beach Boys. But even in the late '60s, where The Beach Boys were playing smaller crowds and whatnot, they started introducing extra players. It wasn't four instrumentalists and a lead singer pounding out rock 'n roll like it was from '62 through '65ish. It just wasn't.

And to say The Beatles couldn't play live in the late '60s? Sure it's not much to go by, but the rooftop performances from '69 kick ass in my book. The takes of "Get Back" rock, "Don't Let Me Down" is awesome and "One After 909" positively kicks. Shoot, they even made relative crap like "Dig A Pony" kinda rock. So...yeah.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 12:33:48 AM »

This is true. I remember reading about it in an interview promoting "Imagination" for the now-defucnt Raygun magazine. "Proud Mary" was the song Brian said he was working on. This "rock and roll" album is growing to mythical SMiLE-like proportions. In 3 years will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of it never having been finished started.  Grin

FTFY.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2015, 04:05:18 AM »

Unfortunately Lonely Summer, I don't think that's ever gonna happen. I don't know if Chuck's ever ruled it out, but I can't see it happening. I know that Little Richard has ruled it out for himself though. At least Jerry Lee Lewis is still making new stuff though.

One new Berry recording made the round in the 90s or 2000s iirc. I never heard it and forgot the name... Roll Eyes
The Killer's newest album is a disappointment though. Read more about my opinion in the thread on the general music section. But if you think Brian and Joe's use of autotune was terrible, just listen to some of the crap that went on JLL's "Rock and Roll Time" album.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »

Chuck Berry Keeps on saying that he wants to do a Non-Rock N Roll album for years and years now only not to release it,,,,,  LOL
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 12:10:44 PM »

LOL
Chuck Berry Keeps on saying that he wants to do a Non-Rock N Roll album for years and years now only not to release it,,,,,  LOL
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 07:58:48 PM »

One new Berry recording made the round in the 90s or 2000s iirc. I never heard it and forgot the name... Roll Eyes

He actually did any kind of studio recording in the '90s or '00s? Really? Are you sure of this? I just find it really hard to believe for some reason.
rocksong.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »

this article was pretty much a bore.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2015, 11:30:41 PM »

He actually did any kind of studio recording in the '90s or '00s? Really? Are you sure of this? I just find it really hard to believe for some reason.
He has a studio at Berry Park; has told reporters about recording new stuff for decades, but nothing ever comes out. I remember an article about him in USA Today, circa 1985, where he talked about putting out a double album. Back in 2001, Rolling Stone interviewed him and told about watching him in the studio doing several new songs, said it was good stuff. Same thing when his 80th birthday rolled around. Still nothing. At least Little Richard did the occasional movie song. There's enough stuff from him since his last full album to make a nice compilation.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »

I'd hate to see Brian waste precious time on Chuck Berry classics. The Disney album, perhaps just a stopgap, was also redundant. But I am going to buy it anyway.  Smiley

I wouldn't expect any more recordings from Chuck Berry, the man's last concert appearance in Denmark was an embarrassment and it's clearly time for him to hang up the guitar.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2015, 03:06:33 PM »

I don't remember the title unfortunately. Maybe it was already recorded in the 80s and planned for a new album.
Just google "Chuck Berry new recordings" or something similar. You'll get the infos about later recordings then (unfortunately even that way I couldn't find the song title or any more info)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx