gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:13:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting Article: Brian Wilson on Chuck Berry and upcoming Rock & Roll album  (Read 9577 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2015, 02:13:04 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-brian-wilson-talks-blurred-lines-chuck-berry-and-surfin-usa-20150312-story.html

Couldn't find this posted anywhere, sorry if I'm mistaken about that.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:27:15 AM »

I never repeat myself," Wilson said of the hundreds of songs he's written and co-written over a career that's still going after more than a half century. "You just always have to come up with new melodies, new lyrics, new chord changes, new arrangements."

I love the sh*t out of Brian, but I had to do a doubletake, because I was listening to a mashup of all the times Brian's used the Shortenin' Bread riff (posted on YouTube) at the exact moment I saw this thread and started reading the article. LOL Of all the times!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:34:54 AM »

Quote: ""I never repeat myself," Wilson said of the hundreds of songs he's written and co-written over a career that's still going after more than a half century."

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!   Too funny!!!!!!!

Then again he can repeat himself all he wants because generally each time he does it goes to another level.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 02:46:26 AM »

Speaking of repeating himself...

He's also already starting to think about another album to follow "No Pier Pressure," even though that one isn't being released until April 7.

"It's going to be more rock 'n' roll," he said. "We're going to record 'Johnny B. Goode.'"

LOL
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:04:05 AM »

Great news!!! Thank you for the link
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 04:27:42 AM »

Why hasn't he done his "rock n' roll" album? For the last 10? years whenever he does press for an album he always says his next will be it. Is it just talk, is someone "stopping" him doing it? He seems really enthused to do one but it never materialises. It's got weird to me.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 05:03:43 AM »

I'm gonna get punnished but I have to say it. I love Brian as much as anyone, and his music is the reason I'm here. But I can't fail to notice that if this thread was about a Mike Love interview with the statement "I never repeat myself", we'd have a 10-page collection of rants.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 05:20:46 AM »

Thanks for the link. It's wonderful news that Brian is still thinking of doing more music.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 05:27:17 AM »

"Brian never forgets a good riff" - David Leaf, early eighties.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 05:54:13 AM »

I'm gonna get punnished but I have to say it. I love Brian as much as anyone, and his music is the reason I'm here. But I can't fail to notice that if this thread was about a Mike Love interview with the statement "I never repeat myself", we'd have a 10-page collection of rants.

Probably because Brian doesn't take himself as seriously as Mike does. Look at your signature for example - Brian says his favorite movie is Norbit. Brian says he's going to make a rock n roll album next (has been saying this for years and years). Brian says he never repeats himself. Brian says a lot of things (whether it be because of his sense of humor and/or his nervousness when talking to a reporter). It's who Brian is and we all accept it. Whereas Mike is more of a straightforward guy. So you're right, we probably would have a 10 page discussion about it had Mike said it. But these are two very different people with two very different interview styles.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 06:09:51 AM »

As for the article itself - I really hope this rock n roll album is the real deal this time.

Pleasure Island needs to happen Cool

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 06:14:06 AM »

Pleasure Island is my dream! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 06:24:55 AM »

Why hasn't he done his "rock n' roll" album? For the last 10? years whenever he does press for an album he always says his next will be it. Is it just talk, is someone "stopping" him doing it? He seems really enthused to do one but it never materialises. It's got weird to me.

At this point, I think it has to be a running joke. As you say, when he promotes a new album and someone asks him "What's next," he says, "I'm gonna do a rock and roll album!" Maybe it's just his standard answer.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 07:31:19 AM »

At this point, I think it has to be a running joke. As you say, when he promotes a new album and someone asks him "What's next," he says, "I'm gonna do a rock and roll album!" Maybe it's just his standard answer.

It was to me in 2005 during a phone interview. Maybe in 2040 we'll get a 6-CD box set called The Rock'N Roll Album Sessions.  Grin
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 07:34:01 AM »

Brian could have said that he was now ready to retire. Maybe the rock and roll album will happen, maybe it won't. We don't know why it didn't happen before - Brian just using the words as a stock answer? Brian wanting to do it but perhaps it not going down well with the record company?

The article just gives us something for which to be hopeful. Meanwhile there is NPP.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 08:06:02 AM »

Brian doing a whole album of Chuck Berry songs? Could you imagine that? What would the tracklist be like? Interesting....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »

Speaking of repeating himself...

He's also already starting to think about another album to follow "No Pier Pressure," even though that one isn't being released until April 7.

"It's going to be more rock 'n' roll," he said. "We're going to record 'Johnny B. Goode.'"

LOL

He used to say "Proud Mary" would be on it didn't he? There are two titles I guess.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »

I dunno, I think this whole "Shortnin' Bread" thing is kind of a non-issue. To me, it just sounds like a generic blues riff, or Brian's particular arrangement of it. You could apply it to anything, much like you could a shuffle riff, or a Chuck Berry bass line, or a Dizzy Miss Lizzy lick.

I just listened to that Youtube medley, and yes, the groove is pretty much the same, but the songs are different.

Not that that would work in copyright law these days, of course.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 08:56:23 AM »

"Proud Mary" would be a really fun encore number instead of "Barbara Ann." Blondie! Al! SUUUUUUUUURGE!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 10:11:38 AM »

Brian's been saying his next album will be a rock & roll set since Imagination.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:58 AM »

I can't wait to hear his version of "My Ding-a-ling"...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »

I think the record he's referring to already exists and it's called 15 Big Ones.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »

I wouldn't mind a whole Brian tribute album to doo-wop classics, such as a song I mentioned in another thread, The Chimes' version of the standard Once In A While. A Brian version of the Flamingoes' take of I Only Have Eyes For You could be nice as well, with a mass of harmony vocals.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »

I wouldn't mind a whole Brian tribute album to doo-wop classics, such as a song I mentioned in another thread, The Chimes' version of the standard Once In A While. A Brian version of the Flamingoes' take of I Only Have Eyes For You could be nice as well, with a mass of harmony vocals.

I wonder if something like this is what Brian pitched to Mike as the next album before it became TWGMTR?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »

Brian uses that "gonna do a rock and roll album next time" as often as Micky Dolenz compares the Monkees to Vulcans.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx