gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:43:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: had bruce not become a beach boy  (Read 2699 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:34:21 AM »

not really thinking of who else would have joined the group...but along the lines of what bruce would have been doing? obviously he adores Brian's music...would he have went solo from terry or met Brian at that party at terry melcher's house where he met Van Dyke? perhaps he could have been a studio musician or friend of the smile scene? perhaps he could have been in the infamous terminal photo? though i know he wasnt into the whole drug scene...were there anyone who wasnt doin drugs that were in the smile friends group?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 10:05:38 AM »

Not sure about Dean Torrence ... he's there in the terminal picture, and I don't imagine he was really into the same 'scene' as heavily as Brian and his 'aquaintances' ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »

did he hang out at the house with all those activities going on?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 11:17:28 AM »

Seems doubtful - he was always against the 'hangers-on' that swarmed around Jan after the accident, so I can't see him mixing with Brian's crowd ...
I believe Brian just made a call to Marilyn and asked her to 'round up' a few friends to appear in the picture, so she probably just randomly picked a few names that were available ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
MBE
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 11:37:14 PM »

I think Bruce was good for the group 65-72 but led them in a bad direction after he came back.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 03:28:18 PM by MBE » Logged
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 01:02:57 AM »

In the Endless Harmony doc., Bruce says he was asked by Mike Love if he knew anybody who could take Glen Campbell's place who had taken Brian's place. He then also says that he asked everybody he knew before volunteering himself for the position. Do you think that he REALLY did ask around his friends or just said that to get himself into the biggest American group at the time? Hmmmmm  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:23:02 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 10:42:09 PM »

Haha, that would be funny.. he picks up a phone and doesn't dial and then has a fake conversation with someone in front of Mike:

"What? You can't do it either? Too bad. .... What's that, you say I'd make a good Beach Boy? Nah, you're just saying that. ...... So you really think I'd be good, well thanks Marty, talk to you later. *hangup* I don't know Mike, he seems deadset on not doing it.. I wonder if what he said was true, though. Oh well, I'll call some other people."

*repeat* *repeat* *repeat*

"Well, I'll be a Beach Boy, I guess..."
(but inside)
"Hahahha he fell for it, yes! YES! I'M A BEACH BOY! WAHOO!"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 11:37:27 PM »

I think joining in 1965 made Bruce a (semi) legend, but rejoining in 1978 cut short the  prolific, succesful,  (if recently rather mushy)  career he had going as  a songwriter and producer. Seriously what did he do since! I almost feel bad for him but hey the money must be nice.
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 02:01:26 AM »

Hmmm.... why wasn't Bruce Johnston on the Pet Sounds album cover??

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 04:21:33 AM »

Bruce was not on the cover due to contractual reasons, I think it had something to do with the fact that he had a recording contact with Terry Melcher and therefore would appear to be supporting another artist. That's why he didn't appear on any cover 'til Friends (?) / 20/20 I think? He was present at the shoot though... Grin

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 05:59:46 AM »

Yeah, i did see the other photos where he is present during the shoot.

Thank you.

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx