gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:54:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non-Beach Boys session work from '64 to be released for Record Store Day  (Read 5450 times)
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »

Not my preferred format for sessions, but hey, good to see it come out.

Various Artists
Sessions 64!!

DETAILS
Format: 10" Colored Vinyl
Label: OMNIVORE RECORDINGS
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

Produced by Jimmy Bowen and Brian Wilson - 9 tracks from The Honeys, The Castells and The Timers.  Featuring original mono masters, stereo mixes and backing tracks.  On 10" colored vinyl for Record Store Day 2015!

Track Listing

The Honeys:
"He's a Doll" (mono master)
"He's a Doll" (stereo mix)
"He's a Doll" (stereo backing track)
"The Love of a Boy and a Girl" (mono master)
"I Can See Right Through You (Go Away Boy)" (stereo backing track)

The Castells:
"I Do" (stereo mix)
"I Do" (stereo backing track)

The Timers:
"No Go Showboat" (stereo mix)
"No Go Showboat" (stereo backing track)

10" gold vinyl limited to 1,500 copies.

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/7750
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 01:43:28 PM by doinnothin » Logged

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »

That's more like it   Smokin

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »

I just hope this is also available in the UK. Can't find it on the UK list so far.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »

The Timers' version of No-Go Showboat used the same backing track as the BB version, so that should be interesting to hear.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 09:24:49 PM »

Would prefer the Beach Boys version of "I Do" but beggars can't be choosers!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:15:02 PM »

The Timers' version of No-Go Showboat used the same backing track as the BB version, so that should be interesting to hear.

Really ?  I know "I Do" does, but first I've heard that about "NGSB" (Brian sings on it, for sure): point me at your source and I'll amend the page on 10452. Thanks.

Edit: just did an A/B, and if it is the same track, it's been remixed and some rubbish guitar added in the instrumental break. Also, there's an AFM sheet for The Timers session on 10/11/63 at RCA.

Edit 2: "From Jimmy..." is widely considered to be a Nik Venet production.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:30:09 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »

Hmm, I thought it was the same but the drums are definitely different.  The horns/piano/guitar (right channel of BB version) sound identical to me though.  I suspect they used that track with a new drum overdub.  I guess we'll be able to tell easier when this record comes out.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 05:17:02 AM »

I wish this stuff was coming out in a more widely available form. It would be perfect for an on-line-only copyright extension release, but curses, we're already done with the 1964 release!

Once again, I find myself holding out ready cash, willing to give it to somebody in order to own this music, but with almost no way to complete the transaction. If there are only 1500 of these things and they're all going to be sold in the States (the nearest part of which I live just over 3000 miles away from), I don't stand a chance. And I'm sure I'm not the only one on here in the same boat...
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 06:13:06 AM »

I really hope an accompanying video comes with it on the Betamax format.For those of us who never gave up on -that- format!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 06:33:44 AM »

Really ?  I know "I Do" does, but first I've heard that about "NGSB" (Brian sings on it, for sure): point me at your source and I'll amend the page on 10452. Thanks.

Edit: just did an A/B, and if it is the same track, it's been remixed and some rubbish guitar added in the instrumental break. Also, there's an AFM sheet for The Timers session on 10/11/63 at RCA.

I was going to question this as well.  They are in the same pitch and exactly the same time, but the drums, guitar and sax are different to my ears.  I wouldn't put it past Usher to have taken Brian's backing track and overdubbed it, but I don't think Jimmy Bowen (Reprise A&R) would have allowed those shenanigans.

Lee
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:35:08 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 08:23:23 AM »

I really hope an accompanying video comes with it on the Betamax format.For those of us who never gave up on -that- format!

Betamax was the best!  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 11:46:18 AM »

Well, I just had a moment of revelation... Some folks were previously complaining that "I Can See Right Through You (Go Away Boy)" wasn't on KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER 1964.  The answer: Capitol didn't own that track -- Warner Brothers did.  Conversely, that's why the Beach Boys' version of "I Do" can't be included along side the Castells' version.

Lee
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 02:34:39 PM »

Nice to know "I Can See Right Through You" will finally be released. I had hoped for its inclusion on the 2014 copyright extension set, but understand why it wasn't, thanks to Lee's explanation. That being said, does its non-release mean the song is now out of copyright? In Europe only, perhaps?? I'm still not completely sure how the specific legalities work, but I find the whole situation pretty interesting.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 03:57:13 PM »

Teaser:

http://youtu.be/OMb-4yYS-bc

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 12:47:52 AM »

From The Second Disc:

Sessions ’64!! is so exciting that no less than two exclamation points will do!! This groovy 10-inch slab of translucent gold vinyl transports listeners back to 1964. It includes nine tracks produced by Brian Wilson and Jimmy Bowen for the Warner Bros. and Reprise Records labels, with arrangements from Wilson, Sandra Glantz (a.k.a. Ginger Blake from The Honeys) and California rock legend Gary Usher! Five of the songs are from The Honeys, while The Castells and The Timers are each represented with two tracks. Featuring mono masters, new stereo mixes and previously unreleased backing tracks, Sessions ’64!! looks to be a treat for Beach Boys diehards and fans of this perfect era of pop alike. It’s limited to 1,500 units.

Various Artists, Sessions ’64!! (Omnivore, 2015)

Side One

He’s a Doll (Mono Master) – The Honeys
He’s a Doll (Stereo Mix) – The Honeys
He’s a Doll (Stereo Backing Track) – The Honeys
The Love of a Boy and a Girl (Mono Master) – The Honeys
I Can See Right Through You (Go Away) (Stereo Backing Track) – The Honeys
Side Two

I Do (Stereo Mix) – The Castells
I Do (Stereo Backing Track) – The Castells
No Go Showboat (Stereo Mix) – The Timers
No Go Showboat (Stereo Backing Track) – The Timers
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:49:51 AM by John Manning » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 04:14:16 PM »

Went to the store, today, where I was hoping I might pick up the Honeys 10 inch EP on Saturday.
They showed me the ONE copy they received, and said Good Luck bud, better be first in line!! 

packaged in a flimsy paper sleeve, no graphics, just print 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »

Went to the store, today, where I was hoping I might pick up the Honeys 10 inch EP on Saturday.
They showed me the ONE copy they received, and said Good Luck bud, better be first in line!! 

Blimey if Phil was still here he'd declare it an affront to fans and campaign for it to be boycotted until they popped it in a picture sleeve!

Might be wrong but I don't think this one's getting a UK airing

Happy shopping!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 04:23:48 PM »

Blimey if Phil was still here he'd declare it an affront to fans and campaign for it to be boycotted until they popped it in a picture sleeve!

Might be wrong but I don't think this one's getting a UK airing

Happy shopping!

There will probably be a late issue of unlimited Euro copies...

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »

AND here it is:  It appears that anyone needing a copy can order it from the website for $16.98 each plus shipping including most countries 

http://omnivorerecordings.com/music/sessions-64/

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »

Damn, that's what I get for being impatient...  I bought one off of eBay for $39 shipped, and another later off of eBay for $22 shipped.  At least I did OK on the $22 copy (thanks Chris!).

Lee
luckyoldsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 11:27:13 AM »

AND here it is:  It appears that anyone needing a copy can order it from the website for $16.98 each plus shipping including most countries 

Thank you Smiley

Wish you'd help me find the key ...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »

Many thanks indeed… almost bought off eBay.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx