gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:21:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to release a 7" vinyl single for Record Store Day 2015  (Read 8184 times)
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 08:05:40 AM »

"The Right Time" backed with "Sail Away" on Capitol Records.  Pretty cool, heh? 

Record Store Day in the U.S. is April 18, 2015.

Uh, well, what's the big deal about this, other than maybe different graphics ?
The LP arrives the 7th, so we'll have both  tracks 11 days prior; unless they both turn out to be alternate mixes, it's something that should be released March 31st

Are you not an American or English music fan, or what? You must be Canadian, Asian, or other European, otherwise you would understand what a "Record Store Day" release is.

When all else fails, search Google (or Yahoo, or more likely, "AskJeeves", (because apparently Record Store Day is something too complicated for you), if your dinosaur ass doesn't understand the release of this particular single on this particular date) for "Record Store Day".

To save your old & likely not long for this world self some time: Record Store Day is a day when many bands and artists release singles in limited quantities and/or formats not regularly found in stores, to help boost sales of what the general population/record company people consider a dying medium. This particular "Right Time/Sail Away" single is being released on April 18th to help provide a source of income to an independent record store that likely isn't getting the kind of business it was getting back when non-digital formats were the way people listened to music.

I hope this helps, grandpa.

Heh...who sh*t in your cocoa pebbles there sunshine?
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »

There's more according to this: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6495213/brian-wilson-honeys-record-store-day

Sessions '64 track listing
The Honeys:
"He's a Doll" (mono master)
"He's a Doll" (stereo mix)
"He's a Doll" (stereo backing track)
"The Love of a Boy and a Girl" (mono master)
"I Can See Right Through You (Go Away Boy)" (stereo backing track)

The Castells:
"I Do" (stereo mix)

"I Do" (stereo backing track)

The Timers:
"No Go Showboat" (stereo mix)
"No Go Showboat" (stereo backing track)

10" gold vinyl limited to 1,500 copies.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 02:18:16 PM »

There's more according to this: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6495213/brian-wilson-honeys-record-store-day

Sessions '64 track listing
The Honeys:
"He's a Doll" (mono master)
"He's a Doll" (stereo mix)
"He's a Doll" (stereo backing track)
"The Love of a Boy and a Girl" (mono master)
"I Can See Right Through You (Go Away Boy)" (stereo backing track)

The Castells:
"I Do" (stereo mix)

"I Do" (stereo backing track)

The Timers:
"No Go Showboat" (stereo mix)
"No Go Showboat" (stereo backing track)

10" gold vinyl limited to 1,500 copies.

THIS ▲▲▲ 

Example of What the Brian Record Store day should have been

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 04:22:23 PM »

The LP arrives the 7th, so we'll have both  tracks 11 days prior; unless they both turn out to be alternate mixes, it's something that should be released March 31st

To save your old & likely not long for this world self some time: Record Store Day is a day when many bands and artists release singles in limited quantities and/or formats not regularly found in stores, to help boost sales of what the general population/record company people consider a dying medium. This particular "Right Time/Sail Away" single is being released on April 18th to help provide a source of income to an independent record store that likely isn't getting the kind of business it was getting back when non-digital formats were the way people listened to music.

You poor sadsack welp, I hope you'll be first in line at your local store.

My local independent  received THREE copies of this new BW 45. I can just see the owners now, whooping and hollering as they dance their way to the bank draggng the huge sack of $$ they'll have made from selling those 3 records. Perhaps they'll take the family out for dinner and invite Bob Cratchit

Capitol Records/ Brian's management must have the worst marketing plan in the world for not distributing hundreds of copies of ths record to every store in the country.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »

The LP arrives the 7th, so we'll have both  tracks 11 days prior; unless they both turn out to be alternate mixes, it's something that should be released March 31st

My local independent  received THREE copies of this new BW 45. I can just see the owners now, whooping and hollering as they dance their way to the bank draggng the huge sack of $$ they'll have made from selling those 3 records. Perhaps they'll take the family out for dinner and invite Bob Cratchit

Capitol Records/ Brian's management must have the worst marketing plan in the world for not distributing hundreds of copies of ths record to every store in the country.

I think a lot of the RSD stuff is meant to be collectible from the off. Otherwise there wouldn't be much incentive to pile into the store on that date, and to be frank the goods wouldn't be quite so must-have. RSD is a promotion after all.

You know this better than most though Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 04:34:35 PM »

"The Right Time" backed with "Sail Away" on Capitol Records.  Pretty cool, heh?  

My local independent  received THREE copies of this new BW 45. I can just see the owners now, whooping and hollering as they dance their way to the bank draggng the huge sack of $$ they'll have made from selling those 3 records. Perhaps they'll take the family out for dinner and invite Bob Cratchit

I think a lot of the RSD stuff is meant to be collectible from the off. Otherwise there wouldn't be much incentive to pile into the store on that date, and to be frank the goods wouldn't be quite so must-have. RSD is a promotion after all.

You know this better than most though Wink

I can see the point to some degree, but THREE copies?
Thats not really something to bring folks into a store, it's more likely to be a huge disappointment to the MANY that won't get one, and is very poor marketing.
The first guy in buys all 3 and everyone else has to kill him to get one?
Of course, there may be 50 copies in some other stores....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:36:21 PM by bgas » Logged

FrankAbe
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »

The BW 7" is listed in a separate category as a "Limited Run / Regional Focus Release." Does anyone know what this means? If it's regional, which region? I'm in Seattle.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 08:05:08 PM »

The BW 7" is listed in a separate category as a "Limited Run / Regional Focus Release." Does anyone know what this means? If it's regional, which region? I'm in Seattle.
Me, too. Wonder if we will be able to find it?
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 07:55:27 AM »

Frustrating does not begin to describe it.

The RSD stores I go to in Washington, DC, and Annapolis, MD, are each getting two copies of Brian's single. And they each advertised that on their websites. So, the folks that camp out at 3:00 a.m., even if they are not BB/BW fans, will pick it up just for the rarity sake, and, most likely, have it on eBay that afternoon.

One of my former favorite RSD stores has now instituted a policy whereby his "frequent customers" (must spend a certain amount of money in his store every month for the preceding year) are allowed into the store an hour BEFORE everyone else. I've got two words for that.

Sadly, personally participating in RSD has become just too difficult and a bit of a pain in the arse. Only in the wisdom of an industry on life support would manufacturers produce product well below demand. I'll click the Buy It Now, knowing full well I am overpaying, but I will be content in the knowledge I am not sitting on the cold pavement regretting that third of coffee  Shocked
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »

Frustrating does not begin to describe it.

The RSD stores I go to in Washington, DC, and Annapolis, MD, are each getting two copies of Brian's single. And they each advertised that on their websites. So, the folks that camp out at 3:00 a.m., even if they are not BB/BW fans, will pick it up just for the rarity sake, and, most likely, have it on eBay that afternoon.

One of my former favorite RSD stores has now instituted a policy whereby his "frequent customers" (must spend a certain amount of money in his store every month for the preceding year) are allowed into the store an hour BEFORE everyone else. I've got two words for that.

Sadly, personally participating in RSD has become just too difficult and a bit of a pain in the arse. Only in the wisdom of an industry on life support would manufacturers produce product well below demand. I'll click the Buy It Now, knowing full well I am overpaying, but I will be content in the knowledge I am not sitting on the cold pavement regretting that third of coffee  Shocked
The whole RSD thing is a bit of a joke. I still go to record stores any day of the year; don't need a hype event to get me into one.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2015, 07:09:07 AM »

The UK version is on Ebay, tho it doesn't appear to be colored vinyl:    
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIAN-WILSON-THE-RIGHT-TIME-2015-RECORD-STORE-DAY-VINYL-7-RSD-BEACH-BOYS-/271842278309  

and here:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Record-Store-Day-2015-Brian-Wilson-Beach-Boys-The-Right-Time-7-V-limited-/131490471047  

and here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIAN-WILSON-THE-RIGHT-TIME-7-LTD-EDT-RSD-2015-MINT-/291436347324

and here:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BEACH-BOYS-BRIAN-WILSON-The-Right-Time-UK-2015-Capitol-7-NEW-RSD-2015-/371307955068   

and here:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIAN-WILSON-RSD-2015-7-INCH-THE-RIGHT-TIME-SAIL-AWAY-/151650800885   

I'm sure there will be more....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 07:18:37 AM by bgas » Logged

pudge104
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 08:29:45 AM »

It took 3 record stores and 5 hours, but I got both the Brian 7" and the Sessions '64 10".  Success!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 10:55:23 AM »

It took 3 record stores and 5 hours, but I got both the Brian 7" and the Sessions '64 10".  Success!

Is the BW on colored vinyl? I went to two stores and neither of them had it. ( maybe sold out at the first, but the second didn't get any)
This ebay guy in the US says he bought it this morning, but it appears to be a euro record:  
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-Wilson-The-Right-Time-Sail-Away-45rpm-Record-Store-Day-2015-RSD-New-Sealed-/141641746240  

Edit: and that's what it is. Black vinyl, no graphics. You get to see Blondie/David and Al's( twice) names on the labels. Didn't seem to be very much interest in this record from those in line
The store had two copies which I grabbed after standing in line 40 minutes, but store policy is one of each RSD item per customer, so all of you whom I promised to try and help will have to find your own copies...  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:33:14 PM by bgas » Logged

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2015, 01:29:28 PM »

Went to my local record store. He hadn't gotten it and that was around noon Tongue
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2015, 08:16:28 PM »

A buddy of mine scored the Brian single and the '64 Sessions 10-inch . . . at Bull Moose in Maine, and dropped them in the mail to me.  Sweet!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 06:55:58 AM »

Amoeba Records has it available online right now (with free shipping):

http://www.amoeba.com/the-right-time-sail-away-record-store-day-7-brian-wilson/albums/3498953/

Not sure how many they have so I suggest you order it now if you want it.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx