gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:53:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Landy ever realize he did anything wrong?  (Read 52720 times)
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 11:20:58 AM »

Landy wasn't so bad really.  He had a more healthy influence on Brian than Joe Thomas does.

Ya must be joking.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 11:30:30 AM »

A lot of good points raised in this thread, but the one of the things that makes me think everything was carefully, consciously planned by Landy was Brian's will - modified so Landy would get pretty much everything. That's not something you improvise. That's something you really have to think about.

It also implies that Landy was considering outliving Brian.

What was Landy's will at the time? Who was to be his heir?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »

Landy wasn't so bad really.  He had a more healthy influence on Brian than Joe Thomas does.

Assuming you're not just saying this to be "amusing", then I have to say this is the single dumbest post I've ever seen in all my years posting on BB forums. You patently don't have the first, least notion of the damage Landy did to Brian. Fact is, he damn near killed him. If it wasn't for the intervention of a small cadre of concerned fans - one of whom posts here - he would have succeeded. Never, ever say something so stupid again.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 11:40:36 AM »

I can tell you this from my chat with Alexandra Morgan, who officially became Landy's wife before his death, that they ended their years together feeling victimized by their association with Brian Wilson and his family.

I'm sure they did... but did they ever ask themselves why people felt that way ? I'd dearly love to see this interview published.

send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 11:45:22 AM »

A lot of good points raised in this thread, but the one of the things that makes me think everything was carefully, consciously planned by Landy was Brian's will - modified so Landy would get pretty much everything. That's not something you improvise. That's something you really have to think about.

What was Landy's will at the time? Who was to be his heir?

Probably not Brian... Sad

His son Evan?

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »

I can get defending Mike Love, at least he can pull off bass vocals and do some excellent pointing.

But LANDY!!?!? Eugene Landy? Gene "Revoked License" Landy? The coke-snorting hypocrite who tried to steal BW's estate?

Wow. I know we poke fun at the mullet, but he's just a beefy guy with some bad taste in production...
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »

That may just be the dumbest post I've ever seen here.  And that is saying a lot.

Did AGD guest write your post?
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »

I hear a lot of bad mouthing of Joe Thomas on this board which i personally think is bullshit. In a sense what you are implying is that Brian has no taste in production and that Brian doesn't know what he is doing by working with Thomas. It's kind of hard to have it both ways; you love Brian , love his music but think that his current producer is somewhat talentless. I guess that would make Brian a bad judge of talent and someone who really doesn't know what he wants as far as the production of his music goes.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »

That may just be the dumbest post I've ever seen here.  And that is saying a lot.

Did AGD guest write your post?

Grin
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »

I hear a lot of bad mouthing of Joe Thomas on this board which i personally think is bullshit. In a sense what you are implying is that Brian has no taste in production and that Brian doesn't know what he is doing by working with Thomas. It's kind of hard to have it both ways; you love Brian , love his music but think that his current producer is somewhat talentless. I guess that would make Brian a bad judge of talent and someone who really doesn't know what he wants as far as the production of his music goes.

C50 Live album. Mike sounds like Megatron using an electrolarynx on half the songs. The crowd noise doesn't even sound real (or its mixed in the most peculiar way possible). Brian will sound like a god on one song, then the next it sounds like he's using the T-Pain auto-tune app. The album didn't have to sound like that, yet it does. For that I blame Joe.

That being said, I liked the way most of TWGMTR sounded, and Brian has created some of his best songs working with Joe. Some of the bad mouthing he kinda deserves, some of it he doesn't.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »

C50 Live album. Mike sounds like Megatron using an electrolarynx on half the songs. The crowd noise doesn't even sound real (or its mixed in the most peculiar way possible). Brian will sound like a god on one song, then the next it sounds like he's using the T-Pain auto-tune app. The album didn't have to sound like that, yet it does. For that I blame Joe.

Errr... Thomas is a co-producer. And Brian's a big guy who calls his own shots.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »

In time, Andrew.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »

I believe others have established that Joe Thomas does not really have a "sound" of his own as other projects he has produced do not have the same "gloss" on them. So hard to say how much credit or blame should be assigned to him.

Regardless, producing a record in a way some deem poor is not in the same realm as what Landy did.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »

I would guess the autotune has much more to do with Thomas (or other ancillary engineers) than Brian. I wouldn’t be surprised if Brian hasn’t much concerned himself to any large extent with any of the live albums he has put out (or the sound on live DVD/BD).

But it’s merely a bad artistic decision. Like the guy who directed a bunch of McCartney live videos by hyper-cutting to a different shot every half second and peppered the videos with more audience shots than stage shots. Maybe McCartney was like “oh yeah, that’s great”, or maybe he didn’t closely scrutinize it. Either way, it’s all just frustrating artistic decisions. Joe Thomas isn’t freaking Landy folks. Even at Thomas peak of oboes and “Sade” production, he wasn’t anything like Landy.

For the BB’s on C50, there are relatively easy ways to piece together a more complete, autotune-less album. Take a few of the publicly aired shows (Japan, that UK show, etc.), fill in the gaps with the C50 live album where required, and then some audience recordings, and you have a decent 61-track live set. Sure, it would be much easier if the BB’s would just release the effing Royal Albert Hall show (or piece together that 61-song setlist from whatever shows on the tour).

In any event, we as fans have to take a few hits to get something good. I doubt C50 (tour or album) would have happened had Thomas not pushed the thing along. I’d rather have a solid studio album, a couple of decent live Blu-rays, an awesome tour, and an iffy-sounding live album, than the alternative of nothing.

I’m also not 100% convinced Thomas is solely responsible for the autotune stuff. If you listen to the numerous PBS Soundstage shows he has directed and produced, they sound fine. The Tom Petty “Soundstage” Blu-ray sounds great. Who knows, maybe the C50 live album got farmed out to someone else, even if Brian and Joe’s name are on it. Even the C50 Blu-rays don’t sound as bad.

But again to reiterate, Thomas ain’t Landy, personally or sonically. Even back when I kind of loathed the production on “Imagination”, Thomas always struck me as a well-meaning (if misguided taste-wise sometimes, e.g. “the sexy Sade sound”) guy who appreciated Brian and was able to massage that tough line between not being a yes-man but also not taking over everything. The number of guys who Brian feels comfortable writing and producing and recording around, and who can also yield actual results with Brian, seem to be relatively few in number.

If anything, whether by choice or be design, Thomas’ involvement since 2012 (or a few years prior) has struck me as a case where Thomas learned some valuable lessons from the 1998 era. He’s much more low-key (publically) than he was in 1998. No Thomas interviews in the BB C50 documentaries, no co-production credit, no Thomas and Steve Dahl touring with the band, and the Kenny G production style has been toned down quite a bit too (which may also simply be a concession in light of it not being 1998 anymore in terms of music industry trends/tastes). As I’ve mentioned before, how many photos exist of Joe Thomas with Brian (and/or other BB’s) since 2012? I think there was one from the 2013 tour with Joe and the “BAD” lineup. That’s the only one I recall. He also hasn’t given many print interviews either. By the accounts of some including Ray Lawlor, Thomas wasn’t even always present when Brian cut stuff for the new album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »

Can't deny that. But I guarantee that Brian wasn't the one meticulously using protools to screw with every little note note on the album. My point still stands, Joe deserves some of the flack thrown his way (definitely not this Landy accusation though).

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »

In time, Andrew.

Most excellent.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »

Can't deny that. But I guarantee that Brian wasn't the one meticulously using protools to screw with every little note note on the album. My point still stands, Joe deserves some of the flack thrown his way (definitely not this Landy accusation though).

I don't know. I think that if we are willing to accept (as I am) that Brian makes his own choices and doesn't do anything he doesn't want to, it's absurd to think that the autotune on the albums he produces is not endorsed by him.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:38:08 PM by Challenger Putney » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 01:32:56 PM »

I don't know. I think that if we are willing to accept (as I am) that Brian makes his own choices and doesn't do anything he doesn't want to, it's absurd to think that the autotune on the albums he produces is not endorsed by him.

Albums? We're talking about the C50 Live album, and I've already agreed that the blame rests on both producers.

John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »

Sigh...

Another great discussion derailed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »

Trolled, more like...

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »

I was at a Beach Boys convention with Landy in the early 90's. Landy was standing off to the side quiet and just observing. I walked up to him and thanked him for saving Brian's life and for "letting Brian out of his cage" for the event. I walked away and Landy was still standing by himself a good 10 minutes later. Musta been 100 people there and nobody was even acknowledging him.

Then I had a few beers with Steve McParland, Sean McCreavy, and other fans in the know and found out WHY nobody was talking to Landy. Man, did I feel out of touch at that point!

Check out the clip where Diane Sawyer got Landy for an interview. She asked a point blank question and Landy sat there looking like a deer in the headlights for what seemed like forever and couldn't answer.  Brian must have been hyped up on something as his face contorts like Mr. Ed when he talks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-vhRkfFgj8

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2015, 03:05:52 PM »

Did we find out who stole the Sweet Insanity master tapes?   police police
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »

And that's the most disturbing part of all, that Landy's ultimate goal may have been to kill off Brian to inherit his estate.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »

Landy had no business administering those meds to Brian.  Landy was a psychologist.  Not a psychiatrist.  He knew better.   And he must have finally sorted that  out when he was busted by his licensure board.  He got into a dual relationship with a patient in a huge way using his influence to control the patients finances and day to day life.  this would be a huge ethical violation in any state of the USA according to the American Psychological Association.  Not even Landy's "24 hour therapy" could find a way around that.  I knew this was way out of line when the first BW solo lp came out with Landy's name all over it.  
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »

Discussing Joe Thomas on this thread is stupid.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx