gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:13:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Landy ever realize he did anything wrong?  (Read 52726 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:25:09 PM »

I just got to wondering... many have seen the douchey 1991 20/20 (ABC tv show, not the '69 album) interview where Landy looks smug, and doesn't cop to any wrongdoing. But I do wonder... did he ever honestly think he did anything wrong with over prescription and all the other ethically questionable actions during his time with Brian? Maybe looking back, at any point from his removal from Brian's life until his own death in 2006? One would think he'd think maybe he'd gone too far, even if he at one point had good intentions (which, not that I'm defending him in any way, but it seems that he did at least to some twisted degree, at some point. Maybe).

I wonder if there was ever an ounce of self-awareness, even behind closed doors, or if not and he was a pure sociopath. Maybe Alexandra Morgan would be the only one to know.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:32:27 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:30:15 PM »

I seriously doubt it. Did this man have any redeeming qualities?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »

Was he polite and jovial? No wait, that was someone else.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 10:43:45 PM »

I suppose my entire premise/question is flawed; trying to understand someone who's actions are that of a sick f*ck is a difficult, if not impossible task. But for whatever reason, I tend to optimistically think that even such people might still have a morsel of self-awareness buried deep down, regardless. I dunno. Maybe not. I doubt Murry or Phil Spector ever thought/think they've done anything wrong either.

Still curious to hear anyone else's thoughts on this (and Alexandra Morgan's thoughts, if she has ever been asked).
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 10:46:53 PM »

Was his son still defending his legacy? I imagine if so he was a fairly charming, sociopathic manipulator. I'm sure he had a line of bullshit or an excuse for every horrible thing he did...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:00:27 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:47:18 PM »

We'll never know, but guys like this usually feel that the ends justify the means.  So if he ever felt bad about drugging Brian, he'd excuse it by saying that ultimately it made Brian better in the long run.  Or if he felt bad about keeping Brian from his family he'd justify it by saying his family were enabling Brian's bad behavior, etc. 

So no I don't think he ever realized he did anything wrong, he probably felt misunderstood right to the end. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 01:19:02 AM »

I think the 20/20 interview tells you all you need to know: Sawyer, bless her, asked the questions that needed to be asked and Landy flat out didn't have an answer. Any answer, literally speechless. Someone who was aware what he was doing was terribly, terribly wrong would have several pat, rehearsed responses to trot out. Landy wasn't just out of bullets, he didn't even have a gun.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 01:34:52 AM »

Exactly.  By not saying ANYTHING during that interview and simply not answering Diane's "straight to the point" questions...he shot himself in the head.   He loved all of the attention he thought he was getting...thinking, "I'm a celebrity now!"  But Diane did her homework and dropped many a BOMB on him.  From that moment on Landy could not stop the implosion.  It all crumbled around him and very quickly.  He clearly went over the line so many times that even HE thought he was  Brian's Saviour.  And because of this, he thought he could get away with anything he wanted.   

Dogbone
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 03:33:49 AM »

Exactly.  By not saying ANYTHING during that interview and simply not answering Diane's "straight to the point" questions...he shot himself in the head.   He loved all of the attention he thought he was getting...thinking, "I'm a celebrity now!"  But Diane did her homework and dropped many a BOMB on him.  From that moment on Landy could not stop the implosion.  It all crumbled around him and very quickly. He clearly went over the line so many times that even HE thought he was  Brian's Saviour.  And because of this, he thought he could get away with anything he wanted.    

Dogbone

Indeed it did - the conservator lawsuit had already been instigated by Carl, Audree, Carnie & Wendy (5/7/91), the show was aired, I think , 10/10/91 and the lawsuit was settled out of court on 12/13/91, with the entire relationship between Landy & Brian - professional, musical and, I guess, personal - dissolved 1/1/92. I believe that was the day, or very shortly thereafter, that Brian called Andy Paley and asked him to "come on over, I can do what I like now".

Of course, Landy pretty much ignored the agreement - his son and Kevin Leslie remained in Brian's employ - and eventually had to be hit with an official restraining order in December 1992, whereupon he buggered off to Hawaii.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:38:13 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:51:16 AM »

Landy strikes me as having one of those narcissistic and hyper-manipulative personalities that goes hand in hand with having something of a dis-associative personality too. People who are that good at manipulating others are often also pretty good at hiding their true self from their self...like playing the innocent every time they look in the mirror.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 05:45:04 AM »

I can tell you this from my chat with Alexandra Morgan, who officially became Landy's wife before his death, that they ended their years together feeling victimized by their association with Brian Wilson and his family.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 05:49:27 AM »

Seems more than just a little 'nervy'.  Why Howie?  Or did she explain?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 06:40:40 AM »

Landy wasn't so bad really.  He had a more healthy influence on Brian than Joe Thomas does.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:30:00 AM by PaulTMA » Logged
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 06:40:59 AM »

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 08:29:41 AM by PaulTMA » Logged
Gohi
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 06:46:57 AM »

I can tell you this from my chat with Alexandra Morgan, who officially became Landy's wife before his death, that they ended their years together feeling victimized by their association with Brian Wilson and his family.
Cry me a river.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 07:22:45 AM »

Exactly.  By not saying ANYTHING during that interview and simply not answering Diane's "straight to the point" questions...he shot himself in the head.   He loved all of the attention he thought he was getting...thinking, "I'm a celebrity now!"  But Diane did her homework and dropped many a BOMB on him.  From that moment on Landy could not stop the implosion.  It all crumbled around him and very quickly. He clearly went over the line so many times that even HE thought he was  Brian's Saviour.  And because of this, he thought he could get away with anything he wanted.    

Dogbone
Indeed it did - the conservator lawsuit had already been instigated by Carl, Audree, Carnie & Wendy (5/7/91), the show was aired, I think , 10/10/91 and the lawsuit was settled out of court on 12/13/91, with the entire relationship between Landy & Brian - professional, musical and, I guess, personal - dissolved 1/1/92. I believe that was the day, or very shortly thereafter, that Brian called Andy Paley and asked him to "come on over, I can do what I like now".

Of course, Landy pretty much ignored the agreement - his son and Kevin Leslie remained in Brian's employ - and eventually had to be hit with an official restraining order in December 1992, whereupon he buggered off to Hawaii.
Maybe he/they should have been held right off the bat in contempt...a few days getting "three squares" in a "highly supervised setting" at the outset of the violations might have given them a lesson in Reading comprehension.  What unbridled arrogance. 

Too bad it too so long. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 07:29:38 AM »

Landy wasn't so bad really.  He had a healthy influence on Brian than Joe Thomas does.

That's a pretty silly thing to say and a little offensive.  Landy was a disgrace to the medical profession by personally entering his patient's life, handling his money, and giving him drugs he probably didn't have a proper license to prescribe, altering his mental state in a way that was dangerous.  

The worst thing Joe Thomas did was he might have put some auto tune on Brian's voice.  Come on, Joe Thomas might not be the greatest producer or songwriter in the world but he certainly doesn't deserve to be compared to Landy, that's just mean.

ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 07:50:11 AM »

Agree with Rocky 100%. Some perspective, please!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »

"Remorse for what? I didn't kill anyone! "

Oh wait, that was another villian in the Beach Boys story.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 09:09:46 AM »

Seems more than just a little 'nervy'.  Why Howie?  Or did she explain?

Surely the credits on the reissue of BW88 tell part of the story ...
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »

A lot of good points raised in this thread, but one of the things that makes me think everything was carefully, consciously planned by Landy was Brian's will - modified so Landy would get pretty much everything. That's not something you improvise. That's something you really have to think about.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:30:44 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »

I didn't know Alexandra Morgan had even been interviewed.  Interesting.  Am I surprised that they believed that THEY were the victims?  Not at all.  It's how those people roll.  What would have been shocking is if they admitted to any of the horrors they inflicted.  It's amazing how the most destructive people somehow always justify their hideous behavior to themselves and a few gullible others.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »

Landy wasn't so bad really.  He had a more healthy influence on Brian than Joe Thomas does.

That may just be the dumbest post I've ever seen here.  And that is saying a lot.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2015, 11:03:23 AM »

"Symptoms
A person with antisocial personality disorder may:

Be able to act witty and charming
Be good at flattery and manipulating other people's emotions
Break the law repeatedly
Disregard the safety of self and others
Have problems with substance abuse
Lie, steal, and fight often
Not show guilt or remorse
Often be angry or arrogant"

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000921.htm

send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2015, 11:15:05 AM »

A lot of good points raised in this thread, but the one of the things that makes me think everything was carefully, consciously planned by Landy was Brian's will - modified so Landy would get pretty much everything. That's not something you improvise. That's something you really have to think about.

It also implies that Landy was considering outliving Brian.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx