gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:55:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's greatest lead vocal  (Read 40451 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:13 AM »

Some have thought it was Dave Marks or Al.

Them as thought it might be Dave had a very sketchy grasp on the basic BB timeline 1961-63. If any at all...  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2015, 10:17:32 AM »

Re What'd I Say: Dunno about Brian & liner notes, I only hear Carl, coz it's him. How some of you claiming to have been BBs fans since day 1 can mix them up is beyond me. And I've only been 4 years. They do have similar voices, doesn't mean you can't tell who is who.
RangeRoverA1 - family voices, especially siblings sound very similar.  I have three sons, and sometimes on the phone, one would impersonate another, for a goof, until I caught them, and then we'd have a good laugh.  (They think they're so smart!)  LOL

So we have teenaged and twenty year old voices, tightly harmonized, as opposed to the last twenty or so years.  The earlier stuff is harder to distinguish, I think with all the shared leads, and chorus switch-offs.  I think Carl's and Brian's vocals are the hardest to tell apart on the earlier work.  Dennis is easier.  I wish we had more Dennis leads!

It is hard to fathom for me how in four years anyone can possibly digest all this music, when those "who claim" fan-hood have listened for forty or fifty, or so years to dissect it.   We had the luxury of at least several months or a year to digest thirty minutes of an LP.  But it really great for young people to be discovering and embracing this music.  It ensures a good future for it.   Wink

Agreed.  Those of us who actually heard Brian live during 1964 know how youthful he sounded, AND how he could so easily mimic others' styles and voices, so we give him the benefit of the doubt if he remembers singing it.  I mean, he IS Brian Wilson and he was there!  Yes, it sounds remarkably like Carl, and that would have been my first choice as to who was singing.  But Brian could so easily sound like that if he cared to.  I'll leave it up to the memories of people who actually performed or attended.

I love seeing younger fans of this music, too.  I have something of a deeper appreciation for fans of all ages with more of a sense of reality and responsibility who realize that artists deserve some benefit from months or years of work on a project, so they actually purchase the product.  That way there is a better assurance of MORE product.  With all those record and concert purchases over the years, we got MORE great stuff.  If you think about it, that's how it works. Note:  I know many of the people here have spent a fortune on product, however you can get it, so I'm not talking about things not available for purchase by the artist.  I'm talking about people who refuse to pay for new releases, etc.  Just sayin'...It shows respect and it makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:57:06 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2015, 10:19:10 AM »

Some have thought it was Dave Marks or Al.

Them as thought it might be Dave had a very sketchy grasp on the basic BB timeline 1961-63. If any at all...  Smiley

Agreed Andrew.  I think that was Ang's dry humor at work, as she made a point...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:53:43 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:28 AM »

Thanks Debbie. I was just observing the comments on that page. Then there were those who were disputing it was Mike on sax......

Those of us who have been fans for ages know how many times we have been proved wrong about things and are perhaps therefore less sure of the situation. As someone once sang

"When I was younger,  so much younger than today
I never needed anybody's help in any way"....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:25:12 PM by Ang Jones » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »

Those of us who actually heard Brian live during 1964 know how youthful he sounded, AND how he could so easily mimic others' styles and voices, so we give him the benefit of the doubt if he remembers singing it.  I mean, he IS Brian Wilson and he was there!

If Brian wasn't misquoted by whoever claimed to have played him the stuff over the telephone. It wasn't told by a journalist or someone any of us know here personally. So I stick with Carl in this case.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »

Thanks Debbie. I was just observing the comments on that page. Then there were those who were disputing it was Mike on sax......

Thos of us who have been fans for ages know how many times we have been proved wrong about things and are perhaps therefore less sure of the situation. As someone once sang

"When I was younger,  so much younger than today
I never needed anybody's help in any way"....

Yes, I'm not arguing the point with anyone as to which person happens to be singing, simply saying Brian could sound like that if he wished then, so it isn't the "slam dunk" some think it is. 
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »

I really love Brian's vocal on "The Beginning Of The End". So emotive and vulnerable. With great vocal control to boot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIeDHmLzsw
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:20:46 PM by Nothgual » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2015, 11:54:25 AM »

And on topic...

I'm a bit of an odd bird, in that I prefer Brian's voice in the late 60s-early 70s to what came before. Mostly. Sometimes I even prefer his 'rough' vocals. All depends on the mood. Pick just one? Uh uh.

So here are my favorites, any order, all eras.

Midnight's another day (demo version)...

Same vocal as the album version - as with several tracks, the original demo vocals were flown in.

True, but sadly his backup vocals weren't. IMHO it sounded better with Brian doing them.

The way that the demo version was mixed also enhances its emotional quality for me, even though it's the same performance (can of worms).

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2015, 07:21:37 AM »

I think Carl's and Brian's vocals are the hardest to tell apart on the earlier work.

Brian and Al too, though - hands down, who noticed it was Al, not Brian, doing the non-Mike lines the first time they heard IKTTAA?

Do you have any idea how long it took me to figure this acronym out?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »

Brian and Al too, though - hands down, who noticed it was Al, not Brian, doing the non-Mike lines the first time they heard IKTTAA?

I Know (That) There's An Answer?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2015, 09:54:26 AM »

I think Carl's and Brian's vocals are the hardest to tell apart on the earlier work.

No I haven't, I give up. How long did it take you?

Oh, I see, my bad, one "T" too many. Sorry!  Embarrassed

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2015, 09:11:38 PM »

Micha's exempt because he's a nice guy, but USUALLY, I can't stand acronyms like that because it shifts the work of the writer to the reader.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2015, 12:41:55 AM »

Micha's exempt because he's a nice guy, but USUALLY, I can't stand acronyms like that because it shifts the work of the writer to the reader.

I keep thinking, but I just can't the heck figure out what the acronym "USUALLY" stands for... Roll Eyes

Thanks for being nice to me too! Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »

what the acronym "USUALLY" stands for... Roll Eyes
U - usually
S - sually
U - ually
A - ally
L - lly
L - ly
Y - Y

Don't thank me. police

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2015, 10:40:53 AM »

what the acronym "USUALLY" stands for... Roll Eyes
U - usually
S - sually
U - ually
A - ally
L - lly
L - ly
Y - Y

Don't thank me. police

I won't... Roll Eyes

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2015, 04:45:16 PM »

I want my 30 seconds back.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2015, 07:29:11 PM »

WOTS would be my choice if I have to choose one......   The trail off vocal is beautiful and gets better with time
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2015, 04:07:56 AM »

A personal favourite of mine is "There's No Other (Like My Baby)". Great cover and you can feel the enthusiasm in Brian's voice, just a golden vocal.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2015, 04:29:33 AM »

I want my 30 seconds back.
"That's what she said"

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2015, 01:13:00 AM »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this in this thread yet, but I think Brian's rendition of "Blue Christmas" is great.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2015, 01:15:57 AM »

I keep thinking, but I just can't the heck figure out what the acronym "USUALLY" stands for... Roll Eyes

Under Some Unusual Aliens Living Like You

No mas, por favor.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2015, 02:38:05 AM »

Under Some Unusual Aliens Living Like You

Of course! How stupid of me I didn't figure that out by myself! Cheesy

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2015, 12:43:31 PM »

Oh, I see, my bad, one "T" too many. Sorry!  Embarrassed

I like you and I'm sorry. I was mostly joking, although I really couldn't figure it out. Cry
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 04:57:23 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2015, 01:25:52 PM »

I like you and I'm sorry. I was mostly joking, although I really couldn't figure it out. Cry

Oh, I see, my bad, one "T" too many. Sorry!  Embarrassed

I did take it as a little joke of yours, no need for you to apologize! Smiley Thank you anyway!

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2015, 05:02:57 AM »

Personally, I think his greatest lead vocal is on You Still Believe In Me.
When he sings "I wanna cry…" I always get the chills.
Others that come to mind are Surf's Up, Surfer Girl, Caroline No.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx