gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:41:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's greatest lead vocal  (Read 40450 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »

Boy, that went downhill fast.

I'm Waiting For The Day

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »

Look man: denying something doesn't make it not real ....

So much for playing it cool. It stops here and now.

I think I'm being pretty reasonable in the questions I'm asking. Reactions to questions/situations can be just as important as the situations/questions themselves.

And please keep in mind: when I say "double standard" I'm not implying some conscious or negative thing, and I should probably find another/better word for it, in fact.

Then what am I denying, and why is it still being brought up? I'll say it again, this could have ended as suggested on page three, but it was escalated to the point of making accusations in a string of posts about a double standard in how the board is run. Now that's become the issue, and I'm not going to be accused of something that's not true and I sure won't be goaded into defending accusations from someone who has already been banned for similar actions in the past, when trying to tell the board "what's true" or what I'm supposedly denying in order to win points in an endless argument.

Again, it ends here. And that is either the third or fourth time that suggestion has been made and ignored.

I'm saying that "double standard" might be too strong a word for what I'm implying, but that what I'm implying still seems to stand.

Anyway, what I am implying should be easy enough to understand and has been fairly articulated. If it is too offensive to actually address, I get it and shall speak of it no more, moving forward.

I think that if a poster feels this way, it should be addressed ..... How are things supposed to get worked out or improved in life if people are afraid to speak up about something? ..... But from here on out, I'm off the subject.

Please make it so.

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2015, 12:46:43 AM »

And on topic...

I'm a bit of an odd bird, in that I prefer Brian's voice in the late 60s-early 70s to what came before. Mostly. Sometimes I even prefer his 'rough' vocals. All depends on the mood. Pick just one? Uh uh.

So here are my favorites, any order, all eras.

Surf's up (both the 1966 and 1967 versions), Still I Dream of it, I'd Love Just Once to See You, Midnight's another day (demo version), You've Lost that Loving Feeling, pretty much all of Friends, Please Let Me Wonder, I Just Wasn't made for these times (if i had to pick one, this might be it), Games Two Can Play, and She Knows me too well. And yeah, I think if I were to single out one, it'd have to be IJWMFT.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2015, 03:41:30 AM »

You nailed it  EOL. SB stated an opinion period. It was not aimed at a poster, but his opinion of a member of the band which is his right to do so. But because I, SB and others here don't like Mike Love, we have to absorb being labeled mental midgets, shitweasels, and fuckwits. WTF man. Is this the board standard?? I think not but it goes on and personally, I just sit back and consider the source. So, Pinder, since no one has put you in the same category as us, chill out and be content that you remain unscathed by the name callers that we have to put up with.

Nothing to do with actually having an opinion, which is the very lifeblood of this or any other forum, but rather having, essentially the single opinion, or thought, and monotonously expressing same in pretty much every post, irrespective of the topic. I happen to detest a certain, hugely popular song from 1965, and everyone in the BB cosmos knows this... but while I say so every once in a while, that suffices for me. We know you don't like Mike. Time to change the cylinder and play a new tune. If you can. Act like a mental midget, you'll get called one.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2015, 03:45:23 AM »

"Midnight's Another Day".
Glad someone agrees on this one!

In terms of pure technique, it's not even close to his best vocal, but no-one else could have sung that lyric with such utter conviction and credibility. Gave me chills back then, still does.

Even more so in a live setting!
I 'witnessed' this back in 2009 - still one of my favourite live music moments of my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmsyJRa5BLE

2007 at the RFH premiere... like 2004, grown men in tears. A towering performance.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2015, 04:09:18 AM »

There are so many. I love this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkIw6SMt2bs

This is an extended version of Walk on By as recorded by Brian but I really think it shows the essence of Brian's voice.

I must also mention Child is Father of the Man, especially the version that includes that cry. The emotionality in Brian's vocals is one of his greatest strengths.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2015, 04:33:03 AM »

You nailed it  EOL. SB stated an opinion period. It was not aimed at a poster, but his opinion of a member of the band which is his right to do so. But because I, SB and others here don't like Mike Love, we have to absorb being labeled mental midgets, shitweasels, and fuckwits. WTF man. Is this the board standard?? I think not but it goes on and personally, I just sit back and consider the source. So, Pinder, since no one has put you in the same category as us, chill out and be content that you remain unscathed by the name callers that we have to put up with.

Nothing to do with actually having an opinion, which is the very lifeblood of this or any other forum, but rather having, essentially the single opinion, or thought, and monotonously expressing same in pretty much every post, irrespective of the topic. I happen to detest a certain, hugely popular song from 1965, and everyone in the BB cosmos knows this... but while I say so every once in a while, that suffices for me. We know you don't like Mike. Time to change the cylinder and play a new tune. If you can. Act like a mental midget, you'll get called one.  Grin
Andrew - at least you can "give it a rest."

Happy Friday.  Beer
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2015, 04:40:20 AM »

'60s: Don't Worry Baby
'70s: I'll Bet He's Nice
'80s: Let It Shine
'90s: Sweets for My Sweet / My Mary Anne. Ugh, he sounded so lively...so alive in the mid '90s
'00s: Roll Plymouth Rock / Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel
'10s: Shelter
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:35:53 AM by 'Ghost' of Dr. Landy » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2015, 06:25:09 AM »

I perceive it being that way too. I wonder if there's anything to it or if I just perceive it that way. As for Pinder, he sometimes gets too wrapped up in perceiving it that way.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:26:59 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »

This is now two threads where the same sentiment has been posted. On the earlier one, it got called out by another board member - rightfully so - for trying to bring negativity into what could be a really good discussion

If you talk about me, you can write my name, unless you don't remember it was me who called Pinder out on that one.

In this thread however, it wasn't Pinder who brought the negativity, it was SMiLEBrian who did the totally unnecessary stab at Mike. He just regularly disses Mike without substantial reason, which annoys me just as much as it annoys Pinder. If you criticize Mike, you can do it like this:

I think he's being awfully condescending to his audiences and there are enough fans in the audience who would eat up those deep or deeply melancholy cuts and the others may even be converted and start talking like VDP at social gatherings. I think his audiences are perfectly capable of having "Surf's Up" or "Summer's Gone' tossed at them and will somehow not riot or ask for their money back as long as he also works in some car songs. A good song is a good song! He should loosen up a little, he's earned the right to play anything he wants by now and doesn't need to worry about people getting nachos during "Our Prayer."

That's substantial criticism that you can talk about.

Pinder is right in what he says, however it is unfortunate that he lets himself get goaded by the usual suspects and rambles on, that's so very useless. He's right on with this:

I do too, but not on Mike love's watch will it happen. It's all about the hits for Mike.

Why not contribute a Brian lead that you love to this thread?

Or is it all about dissing Mike?

That's all that was necessary to say.

I think one difference, and it's an important one, is that SB seems to dislike a member of The Beach Boys, namely Mike Love, and he posts negative comments about him, not about another poster on the board.

Unfortunately he does, dissing people who don't condemn Mike as "Kokocop" or "member of club Kokomo" and such nonsense, he didn't do it on this thread though. I don't think there's a double standard by the mods in terms of you can criticize Mike but not Brian, the difference is that Pinder's posts are more and longer and take up more space on the board. I'm with Pinder in this matter, I just wish he would take it all a bit cooler and not heat up so much. It really isn't worth that much rage.

Micha, you are hands down the most level headed, articulate poster on this board.. and English isn't even your native language.  Bravo! Smiley  (except that one time when you blew a gasket at Lorren Daro  LOL )
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2015, 10:52:28 AM »

And on topic...

I'm a bit of an odd bird, in that I prefer Brian's voice in the late 60s-early 70s to what came before. Mostly. Sometimes I even prefer his 'rough' vocals. All depends on the mood. Pick just one? Uh uh.

So here are my favorites, any order, all eras.

Midnight's another day (demo version)...

Same vocal as the album version - as with several tracks, the original demo vocals were flown in.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »

True, but sadly his backup vocals weren't. IMHO it sounded better with Brian doing them.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2015, 11:11:40 AM »

Oh yes... in this instance less is definitely more.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »

Micha, you are hands down the most level headed, articulate poster on this board.. and English isn't even your native language.  Bravo! Smiley  (except that one time when you blew a gasket at Lorren Daro  LOL )

Whoa!... How flattering!  Love Thanks a lot, Wild-Honey, that made my day, I actually could use something like that post right at the moment...!

You actually taught me a new word in it too, "gasket", had to look that up! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2015, 06:21:33 PM »

Weak...at best. We've all seen multiple viewings of your condescending behavior on this board. You've opened the gates of Hell for those unfortunate bastards who either offend you or God forbid post something you translate as incorrect. It's as if your experiencing some sort of perverted joy in making people look small and uninformed. Me? I just happen to not like myKe luHv and feeling that way, comment about him. You? Someone, if they gave a sh*t, could take those 15K posts and have a field day plucking out offensive statements that are rude, intimidating, and arrogant (the list goes on) to actual posters who ARE ON THIS BOARD. What an incredible legacy to carry around. Feel proud? Thought so.   Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »

You nailed it  EOL. SB stated an opinion period. It was not aimed at a poster, but his opinion of a member of the band which is his right to do so. But because I, SB and others here don't like Mike Love, we have to absorb being labeled mental midgets, shitweasels, and fuckwits. WTF man. Is this the board standard?? I think not but it goes on and personally, I just sit back and consider the source. So, Pinder, since no one has put you in the same category as us, chill out and be content that you remain unscathed by the name callers that we have to put up with.

Nothing to do with actually having an opinion, which is the very lifeblood of this or any other forum, but rather having, essentially the single opinion, or thought, and monotonously expressing same in pretty much every post, irrespective of the topic. I happen to detest a certain, hugely popular song from 1965, and everyone in the BB cosmos knows this... but while I say so every once in a while, that suffices for me. We know you don't like Mike. Time to change the cylinder and play a new tune. If you can. Act like a mental midget, you'll get called one.  Grin

Weak...at best. We've all seen multiple viewings of your condescending behavior on this board. You've opened the gates of Hell for those unfortunate bastards who either offend you or God forbid post something you translate as incorrect. It's as if your experiencing some sort of perverted joy in making people look small and uninformed. Me? I just happen to not like myKe luHv and feeling that way, comment about him. You? Someone, if they gave a sh*t, could take those 15K posts and have a field day plucking out offensive statements that are rude, intimidating, and arrogant (the list goes on) to actual posters who ARE ON THIS BOARD. What an incredible legacy to carry around. Feel proud? Thought so.   Roll Eyes

Ha! And I get threatened with bans for stating a general opinion about some followers (whom I didn't even name) a whopping two times, based upon totality of repetitive posts, yet back n forths like this are fine and dandy?

And I have the nerve to wonder about a possible double-standard type thing?

AGD, you are absolutely correct about opinions and statement of opinion as being the lifeblood of any forum. Amen.

Certain posters might not be liked by the mod(s) but to shut only one of them down is to set a precedent that might not be healthy in the long run.

I was done with this subject, but there was one quarter left in the machine for a bonus round.... Sorry.

And I think consensus is I Just Wasn't Made For These Times or Please Let Me Wonder are the strongest contenders for Brian's greatest ever lead vocal.

I'm glad someone mentioned Games Two Can Play .... I wish he'd done more leads like that around the same time...... Hell, he should have even sung Sail On Sailor!!!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:05:34 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2015, 07:08:42 PM »

And I think consensus is I Just Wasn't Made For These Times or Please Let Me Wonder are the strongest contenders for Brian's greatest ever lead vocal.
Not even close. Consensus is "Wouldn't It be Nice" is the one & only strongest contender for Brian's greatest ever lead vocal. I thought every knowledgeable fan knew this.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2015, 07:10:14 PM »

Dammit I said drop it. Okay, both are out for the time being.

Edit- Referring to Pinder and OSD, not RangeRover!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:19:51 PM by ♩♬ Brian Wilson is my Spirit Animal ♯♫♩ » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2015, 09:09:13 PM »

Well, that was a big fuckaroo.I banned OSD because I thought he instigated Pinder, who then posted yet another post accusing us of having a double standard after being told repeatedly to drop it, not realizing  that he was actually responding to Andrew. That makes Pinder's post even more ban-worthy, and I have since reinstated OSD. My apologies for the confusion.

That said...

OSD, and Andrew.... I know you two don't like each other. That's cool, I'm just tired of reading about it constantly. And the constant back and forth HAS to stop. Like, right the hell now. This goes for everybody. Period. All members. I don't want to keep seeing the same people talk sh*t back and forth to each other, or taking jabs at each other. This stops NOW.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2015, 05:02:51 AM »

There are so many. I love this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkIw6SMt2bs

This is an extended version of Walk on By as recorded by Brian but I really think it shows the essence of Brian's voice.

I must also mention Child is Father of the Man, especially the version that includes that cry. The emotionality in Brian's vocals is one of his greatest strengths.

Thanks, Ang. I hadn't thought of "Walk On By" off the top of my head, but that vocal was just stunning.  I enjoy the different eras of Brian's voice, so it's great to see them all referenced here as favorites.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2015, 06:54:17 AM »

Thanks Debbie!

I agree that it is wonderful to hear the full range of Brian's vocals - Barbie for example - right through to his most recent work. Brian's vocals on Our Special Love are beautiful. We really are blessed to have enjoyed so many years of Brian's singing.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2015, 07:56:11 AM »

Thanks Debbie!

I agree that it is wonderful to hear the full range of Brian's vocals - Barbie for example - right through to his most recent work. Brian's vocals on Our Special Love are beautiful. We really are blessed to have enjoyed so many years of Brian's singing.

And you just reminded me of those layered vocals he's done that are just glorious, on any number of his own works and guesting on others.  "Hand on my Shoulder" with Blondie on lead for Anton Fig, "Adios" with Ronstadt, "Delirious Love" with Neil Diamond, and of course "Orange Crate Art." They all give me chills, they're so powerful.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2015, 08:06:27 AM »

Not even close. Consensus is "Wouldn't It be Nice" is the one & only strongest contender for Brian's greatest ever lead vocal. I thought every knowledgeable fan knew this.

I was about to say that I thought it was obvious that we all agree it is "I'm Waiting For The Day".

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »

I was about to say that I thought it was obvious that we all agree it is "I'm Waiting For The Day".
Cam - You're right with that one...saw Brian do it live during a Wilson-Beck soundcheck...I thought my heart would stop.  Wish they did that during C50.  Picking a "best" is virtually impossible. There is just too much from who to choose.  Wink
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »

Cam - You're right with that one...saw Brian do it live during a Wilson-Beck soundcheck...I thought my heart would stop.  Wish they did that during C50.  Picking a "best" is virtually impossible. There is just too much from who to choose.  Wink

Plus the heartbreaking strings and the "angry" return. Forgetaboutit.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx