gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:00:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's greatest lead vocal  (Read 40455 times)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 03:48:02 AM »

I can't pick just one vocal. But the final wail on "Caroline, No" and the poignancy of "The Warmth of the Sun" get me in the "feels" every time.

Those two were what instantly sprang to my mind too.
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 03:56:52 AM »

You Still Believe In Me. The falsetto is outstanding on that track.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 04:41:08 AM »

One that I don't think has been mentioned yet is "We'll Run Away". That penultimate "anyhow"...!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 04:58:16 AM »

One that I don't think has been mentioned yet is "We'll Run Away". That penultimate "anyhow"...!

Good call!  Smiley

Three of the best that fall into this category, I think, are "Don't Worry Baby", "She Knows Me Too Well", and "We'll Run Away". He's constantly going in and out of falsetto and it evokes so much yearning and emotion into the melodies. Just beautiful stuff that I never grow tired of listening to.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 05:19:43 AM »

It has to be one of these:

1) She knows me too well
2) So young
3) We'll run away
4) Don't worry baby
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 06:00:39 AM »

Has anyone here ever tried to sing Brian's lead on "Heroes and Villains"? That is hard - and i like to think of myself as a singer.

If you think THAT is hard, try Wouldn't It Be Nice - H&V is a cinch against that.

I'm really surprised Midnight's Another Day popped up here - because that was the one I thought of instantly but would probably not have admitted it as it's not the classical era.

In his old voice the most stunning performance was probably Surf's Up. My favorite one though is Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow from the Party album, though - but I don't know if that can be considered as "great" in the sense of "sublime".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 07:43:20 AM »

It has to be one of these:

1) She knows me too well
2) So young
3) We'll run away
4) Don't worry baby

Perfect list! 'We'll Run Away' without the second vocal overdub is just as stunning as the album version.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 07:47:33 AM »

Has anyone here ever tried to sing Brian's lead on "Heroes and Villains"? That is hard - and i like to think of myself as a singer.

If you think THAT is hard, try Wouldn't It Be Nice - H&V is a cinch against that.

I'm really surprised Midnight's Another Day popped up here - because that was the one I thought of instantly but would probably not have admitted it as it's not the classical era.

In his old voice the most stunning performance was probably Surf's Up. My favorite one though is Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow from the Party album, though - but I don't know if that can be considered as "great" in the sense of "sublime".
Yep! He nails Papa-always thought that "Car Crazy Cutie" was one of Brian's greatest leads. Wish he would have done more like that one back in the day.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 07:55:23 AM »

I'm Waiting for the Day-A vocal filled with empathy.
I also love Where Is She as he goes for the heights of his falsetto.
And if the harmonies at the end of the 1971 version of Surf's Up (the Child is Father To The Man segment) is all Brian multi-tracked, that blows my mind.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 08:02:44 AM »

"Please Let Me Wonder", no contest to me.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »

Busy Doin' Nothin'
She Knows Me Too Well
Don't Worry Baby
Wake the World
Still I Dream of It
Let Him Run Wild
We'll Run Away
Back Home
The Warmth of the Sun
Let's Put Our Hearts Together
Male Ego
Heroes and Villains
I've Got a Crush on You
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 08:24:05 AM »

I've Got a Crush on You
Oh, that too! Cheesy
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 08:33:41 AM »

Stay Awake (ITKOD)

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 08:35:01 AM »

Stay Awake (ITKOD)
+ "Baby Mine"!

ITKOD had some damn fine vocals by the man...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »

Stay Awake (ITKOD)
+ "Baby Mine"!

ITKOD had some damn fine vocals by the man...

Definitely. Some of the best of his solo career, imo. Can You Feel The Love Tonight chorus is another vocal that blows my mind.

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »

Yep! He nails Papa-always thought that "Car Crazy Cutie" was one of Brian's greatest leads. Wish he would have done more like that one back in the day.

Thanks for bringing up "Car Crazy Cutie," OSD - kills me every time.  Of course "Surf's Up," "She Knows Me Too Well," and on and on - perfect voice.  I loved all the vocals on Gershwin too - so amazing.  I am also really excited about the new release.  We'll be adding a few more favorite vocals, I feel sure.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »

"Midnight's Another Day".
Glad someone agrees on this one!

In terms of pure technique, it's not even close to his best vocal, but no-one else could have sung that lyric with such utter conviction and credibility. Gave me chills back then, still does.

Even more so in a live setting!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2015, 01:58:05 PM »

don't worry baby!!    ..... hands down.

and then.......  Roll Eyes

joy to the world
surfer moon
winter symphony
surfs up (demo)
sloop john
spirit of America
why do fools fall
she knows me too well
PLM 'wonder' of course!
rock n roll to the rescue ?? co - lead
matchpoint of our love
woncha come out tonight
imagination
strange world
this whole world (IJWMFTT version)
lay down burden
she says that she needs me
the like in I love you.....

my personal fav's.

RickB

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:00:32 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »

"Good Time". Simple song, unearthly vocal from Brian. Sings like a bird.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

This is TOUGH.  So M A N Y to consider as worthy...No-Go Showboat and Ballad of Ole' Betsy among several GREAT performances on the LDC album.  Lonely Sea [lose that spoken word downer bit though...never fit properly for *my* ears] and Farmer's Daughter on SUSA.  We'll Run Away paved the way for Brian's fascination with facing his impending sense of an obligation to maturity like a man.  Sharing the leads and yingin' and yangin' to perfection with Mike on Don't Back Down, Let Him Run Wild....way, W A Y too good to be a 'b' side...AND Pet Sounds Worthy.  Why Do Fools Fall in Love?  So Brian could rearrange and sing the song I guess.  Your Summer Dream...pure innocence.  Hushabye, Keep An Eye on Summer...  I'm So Young is too good not to mention.

I'll stop short of Pet Sounds...that's all of the GREAT Brian leads I can think of for the first 4 years or so.

The early balance of Mike rockin' and Brian taking the 'cool' approach provided the balance which made it work with the 'feels' the Beach Boys could offer up...and then, slowly the other guys in the band, Al, Dennis and especially Carl [and later occassionally Bruce] would take the lead and the variety just soared meaninfully.

Pinder...respect for kickin' THIS thread off.  Mighty BIG and  h o n e s t  of you. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2015, 04:53:54 PM »

Don't Worry Baby
Surf's Up
Wouldn't It Be Nice

Coincidentally, my three favorite Beach Boys' songs, but not in that order.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2015, 09:16:22 PM »

"Wouldn't It Be Nice", ofc. Back in the day, I thought I never had heard a voice cooler than this guy blasting from the laptop speaker.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:56:19 PM by zatch » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 12:38:57 AM »

That song is just fantastic.

I also really love his vocal on "Your Summer Dream", and of course "In My Room" is not just one of his greatest vocals, but one of the most important songs in the history of rock music....years ahead of everyone else.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 12:45:26 AM »

Just to expound on Wouldn't It Be Nice, even the first little phrasing is done in an interesting, classic way.  Something about the way he just  BANG! Right at ya!

"WOULLLDN'T! It be-nice, if, we were OLD DER!"

Just such a creative way of singing, no other singer would have done it quite like that.  He could have done that melody 100 different ways but the way he chose to do it really fits the mood of the song and starts it off with a bang.  The perfect expression of Jubilant, youthful optimism! 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx