gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:09:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's greatest lead vocal  (Read 40710 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »

Must mention this one too - I don't think it is Brian's best lead vocal but for versatility........ I'd never have thought Brian could sing like this. What'd I Say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMFsy9fIaqQ

This isn't the best either but it has as much emotion as the very best soul artist could provide. It is heartbreaking. Damn near operatic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r_TtJxLfCg
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:53:38 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »

Must mention this one too - I don't think it is Brian's best lead vocal but for versatility........ I'd never have thought Brian could sing like this. What'd I Say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMFsy9fIaqQ

This isn't the best either but it has as much emotion as the very best soul artist could provide. It is heartbreaking. Damn near operatic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r_TtJxLfCg

I agree.  Maybe  not the absolute best, but gorgeous singing in both recordings.  I do remember Brian going off with Dennis to record that 2nd link's sessions.  I was probably off to work that day (actually, more likely, that evening or evenings - I remember 2 or 3 times).  I'm aware of the stories of what was going on.  All I knew was that Dennis practically knocked me over with love for Brian, every time I ran into him.  That's what I saw and know.  At this point, that's all I care about, and you hear it in the music.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »

So interesting to hear from those who actually can add background. Thanks again Debbie.

Dennis' love for Brian is undeniable. And when Brian is given love, he turns it into the most beautiful music. It seems to be the thread he uses to weave the magic.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2015, 01:21:07 PM »

So interesting to hear from those who actually can add background. Thanks again Debbie.

Dennis' love for Brian is undeniable. And when Brian is given love, he turns it into the most beautiful music. It seems to be the thread he uses to weave the magic.

Indeed, Ang!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2015, 09:49:47 PM »

Brian should take up smoking again (temporariy) and re-record Imagination with only his circa Love You gear Smiley))

While I love Imagination where it is, I like where you're going with this.  I've mentioned before that I play That Lucky Old Sun with the Love You-era Beach Boys voices in mind.

If only I could finish my time-machine.  3D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:50:44 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »

Pretty sure that's Carl singing lead.

Sidenote, is that Mike riffing away on the sax? Much better than the two note Shut Down solo.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2015, 04:21:25 AM »

The album isn't to hand but I'm pretty sure it said Brian was singing and, yes, Mike playing sax. This from the Blueboard when someone was discussing a conversation with Brian - he'd asked Brian to identify the lead vocalist on three tracks:

'Ok, the three songs were 'Summertime Blues', 'Louie Louie' and 'What'd I Say' (which I played Brian over the phone).

'In short, he responded, "That was Carl", "That was CARL WILSON", and an excited, "THAT'S ME!" '

It sounds so different to Brian's normal style but it sounds even less like Carl IMO.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 04:28:17 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2015, 05:37:38 AM »

Well, he once identified Carl as the lead on H&V.

That's Carl singin What'd I Say.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »

Now found my album - quoting from the sleeve notes:

"An early concert staple was Ray Charles' What'd I Say which was never officially released or included on a live album. This rare gem, featuring Mike Love on wailing sax, was captured at Sydney Stadium during a January 1964 Australian tour (Surfside '64). Lead vocals by Brian Wilson."

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_the_Beach_Boys  This shows Brian Wilson singing lead too.

That's two other sources for the individuals for whom Brian's word is not enough.  

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:41:48 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2015, 10:33:14 AM »

"An early concert staple was Ray Charles' What'd I Say which was never officially released or included on a live album. This rare gem, featuring Mike Love on wailing sax, was captured at Sydney Stadium during a January 1964 Australian tour (Surfside '64). Lead vocals by Brian Wilson."

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_the_Beach_Boys  This shows Brian Wilson singing lead too.

That's two other sources for the individuals for whom Brian's word is not enough.

Well, I don't believe these sources. I say they're as wrong as Brian claiming he burned the Fire tapes. To me it's clearly Brian - who says "Boy I'm not!" in between Carl's first lines. Next one who meets Brian please ask him again.

This and Big Sur 4/4 are THE ones yet to be officially released, in this case with well informed liner notes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:57:27 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »

Brian's greatest lead vocal: "Let Him Run Wild."  I suspect all of the vocals on that song are sung by Brian Wilson.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_the_Beach_Boys  This shows Brian Wilson singing lead too.

Well, I don't believe these sources. I say they're as wrong as Brian claiming he burned the Fire tapes. To me it's clearly Brian - who says "Boy I'm not!" in between Carl's first lines. Next one who meets Brian please ask him again.

This and Big Sur 4/4 are THE ones yet to be officially released, in this case with well informed liner notes.

Beach Boys mythology volume #186.

Anyone is welcome to confirm, agree, deny, or completely shred what I'm about to say based on what I've heard. If someone has heard or read the same thing elsewhere, please chime in.

Brian *did* in fact burn the Fire tapes as reported. But not in the way I think everyone assumes and now considers that it flatly "didn't happen".

Brian had a reel-to-reel tape copy of a Fire mixdown, it was probably on a 1/4" tape reel of the kind you'd take home to play after a session, if it was not on acetate. And at some point he did burn and destroy such a tape reel copy of what he had from a Fire rough mixdown. But that doesn't mean all masters, sessions, and even other mixes were burned, obviously since those still exist and we've heard them.

So it's not wrong. Brian did burn Fire tapes. Again, confirm/deny/argue/etc.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_the_Beach_Boys  This shows Brian Wilson singing lead too.

Sadly, they didn't do "What'd I Say" when I saw them in July 1964, so I can't tell you from a visual.  What I do know is that Brian could sound like any of them at that time, so keep that in mind.  I also remember Brian sitting at the drums when Denny sang "Wanderer" and his playing a bit, which he doesn't seem to remember from then - but I'll bet if he remembers singing it, that he did.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »

And here's my entry to the thread. I've already in the past 10+ years of being on forums and boards written a lot about the vocal performances that are just right there in the groove. So I'm on the record pretty well as to which ones I always come back to. Time to add a new one, and probably a very obscure one both in concept and for what it is.

Watch this link, Sept. 27 2012, Royal Albert Hall during C50. Brian singing "Please Let Me Wonder".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsB3s9xDzRI

Take the whole song first, Brian singing lead over a band who was in top form for this show. It's one of my favorites anyway, and here the band delivers it and Brian sings it as it always should be heard. No need for "improvements" or additions or added words, just the gut-level performance of what was a perfect record and production from the 60's that still sounds timeless and mature beyond the ages of those involved in making it.

Now, go through the full song and enjoy what's there, but key in on the note Brian sings at exactly 2:29 in this video and cuts it off at around 2:30.

More or less one second of one of the most beautiful notes I've ever heard this man sing, especially taking into consideration the 50+ years of music and trials/tribulations which led up to that note. And many can copy it, maybe even try to replicate it, but no one can do that kind of bend up into a falsetto and have it carry the emotion that this man can do.

And when I say "can" in the present tense, it's deliberate. This was 2012, not the 60's, and there is that voice we all know and love seen and heard hitting that note. It's equally thrilling and bittersweet to hear it on that stage in 2012. We got a glimpse of it. You even see him get ready for that high note in the video, and in that second or so there are simply no age or ability issues in play.

Beautiful. Not greatest, but at the top of my list as of today.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:03:14 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2015, 12:21:38 PM »

Whoever sings that vocal on What'd I Say I like it. Carl, as well as Brian had a great voice. I was just going on what I knew it claimed on the liner notes, and on what I knew Brian had told someone. The fact that he was excited made it sound like a real memory.

Of course Debbie is quite right to state that Brian can sound like the others when he wants to.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Whoever is singing it, I'm glad it was recorded.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »

Whoever sings that vocal on What'd I Say I like it. Carl, as well as Brian had a great voice. I was just going on what I knew it claimed on the liner notes, and on what I knew Brian had told someone. The fact that he was excited made it sound like a real memory.

Did you hear Brian saying that or did you read that someone claimed Brian said that sounding exciting? Someone you know personally?

Whoever is singing it, I'm glad it was recorded.

110% with you there!!! Smiley They never rocked better. Great performance by everybody.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »

I accept they could sound alike, but it's Carl. The Capitol two-fers had wrong vocal credits all over the place for instance. Why wouldn't this bootleg? The "yeah"s sound nothing like Brian ever sang; yet they sound like coming from the same guy who sang All Dressed Up (which is credited to Brian on the two-fers, btw). The way the singer ends the prhrases: not like Brian. Listen to the "oh"s in the end... It's Carl calling and the group (clearly including Brian) responding. The "alrights..."

Re. Mike's sax, it would have been a good question for the vibe room.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2015, 04:21:41 PM »

Did you hear Brian saying that or did you read that someone claimed Brian said that sounding exciting? Someone you know personally

I didn't hear Brian saying that;  there was a thread on Brian's MB about people who had met or spoken to Brian and someone whose posts I have read frequently posted as I have quoted. The first reason that I cited this song though was simply that I recalled reading the liner notes as I have already written. I don't think it sounds typical of Brian but nor is it typical of Carl IMO.  Some of the BVs sound like Brian - it's so hard to tell for sure. Perhaps some Aus fans who were there at the time might know.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »

More here - from this very MB: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=11002.0

Some claim it is David Marks; another post has this

"Quote from: BJL on September 06, 2011, 08:28:06 PM
You're forgetting the recording of What'd I Say? with Dave singing lead.  Smiley

I googled Beach Boys what I say and got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuqhvy_VcH4

obviously not David Marks, but it doesn't really sound like the Beach Boys at all...it really rocks - it reminds me a bit of that live Bruce Johnson album from the early 60s, but way tighter.  Anyone have more info?  I can't really even tell whose singing lead.  Also, who's wailing on the saxophone?      
[/quote]
It's a young Carl. Got that straight from Brian who remembered doing it at gigs then. Listen to Pom Pom Playgirl and you can see it's him."

Some are suggesting it isn't Mike playing sax either.

And I found this:

" Compared to their peers The Beach Boys were surprisingly generous and adventurous in their choice of live material. Luckily the band's frenetic run through Ray Charles' greatest song 'What'd I Say?' (covered by loads of AAA bands from The Beatles to The Searchers) was taped - without their knowledge - during a 1964 concert in Sydney, Australia. It features a still 16 year old Carl - still without a lead vocal to his credit for fans to enjoy - doing a pretty sterling job of rousing up the crowd into a frenzy and playing cat-and-mouse with the rest of the band on the choruses. Either we caught the band on a particular cracking night or they should have thought about doing more songs like this; Dennis, particularly, sounds much more at home on the drums here than on the band's poppier and soppier tunes. A real surprise and one of the highlights of the mixed compilation 'Beach Boys Rarities'. Find it on - erm, would you believe 'Beach Boys Rarities' (1983) and desperately in need of a CD re-issue!" http://alansalbumarchives.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/beach-boys-non-album-songs-part-one.html

This debate has obviously been going on for awhile. It is a remarkable vocal for a 16 year old though. It's a remarkable vocal full stop.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:00:30 PM by Ang Jones » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »

Sept. 27 2012, Royal Albert Hall during C50. Brian singing "Please Let Me Wonder".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsB3s9xDzRI

Beautiful. Not greatest, but at the top of my list as of today.

Nice share!  Love the more "Dick's Picks" variety entering the fray.   LOL  The band really does sounds good though -- don't they?  The vocals and everything.  And Brian just sits low (figuratively) in the song's register and rides it.

I love (and love how Brian love's) the instrumental break, myself.  It's like a confirmation of his life's work.  I think he's so proud of the arrangements he did during this era.  My God, who wouldn't.  They're astounding.

But The whole song -- the whole Today! album -- is like the coda to Melt Away, to me.  Just a euphoric glow of a less stressful and youthful time.  Perfection.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2015, 08:28:09 PM »

Re What'd I Say: Dunno about Brian & liner notes, I only hear Carl, coz it's him. How some of you claiming to have been BBs fans since day 1 can mix them up is beyond me. And I've only been 4 years. They do have similar voices, doesn't mean you can't tell who is who.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »

It is a remarkable vocal for a 16 year old though. It's a remarkable vocal full stop.

Definitely!!! And thank you very much for doing that much research.

When I first heard What'd I Say I actually assumed it was Al who sang lead - I didn't expect Carl to do a lead vocal at all at that early stage, let alone a great one like that, and I ruled out Brian as lead vocalist because it's so clearly him doing the interjection that I already mentioned between the lead singer's first two lines. But when people insisted it was Carl I took a closer listen and had to find out I was wrong.

As for Dennis' drumming here... one has to quote Hal Blaine who said Dennis was "a hell of a drummer live".

As for the saxophone... it really is a notch or two above Mike's studio recording contributions, so it might have been someone else, but musical ability is known to run in the Wilson family, so it could as well be Mike.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2015, 03:46:25 AM »

Re What'd I Say: Dunno about Brian & liner notes, I only hear Carl, coz it's him. How some of you claiming to have been BBs fans since day 1 can mix them up is beyond me. And I've only been 4 years. They do have similar voices, doesn't mean you can't tell who is who.

I've been a fan for ages (if not from Day 1) but I somewhat naively assumed the liner notes would be correct, especially when backed up by what Brian himself had claimed to be true. Brian has more versatility in his voice than Carl and can sound different when he wants to. I think the most convincing evidence of it being Carl is Brian in the BVs rather than the lead vocal itself. Carl's confidence is quite remarkable for a boy of 16.

Some have thought it was Dave Marks or Al. It seems to me that the reason for the confusion is simply that this is so far from the Beach Boys' normal style. When I first heard it, I didn't think it sounded much like any of them. I certainly didn't think it sounded like Brian but couldn't get my head round a 16 year old Carl doing it either. I wish they had included more such material in their repertoire though. It really works.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:54:55 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2015, 05:28:11 AM »

RangeRoverA1 - family voices, especially siblings sound very similar.  I have three sons, and sometimes on the phone, one would impersonate another, for a goof, until I caught them, and then we'd have a good laugh.  (They think they're so smart!)  LOL

So we have teenaged and twenty year old voices, tightly harmonized, as opposed to the last twenty or so years.  The earlier stuff is harder to distinguish, I think with all the shared leads, and chorus switch-offs.  I think Carl's and Brian's vocals are the hardest to tell apart on the earlier work.  Dennis is easier.  I wish we had more Dennis leads!

It is hard to fathom for me how in four years anyone can possibly digest all this music, when those "who claim" fan-hood have listened for forty or fifty, or so years to dissect it.   We had the luxury of at least several months or a year to digest thirty minutes of an LP.  But it really great for young people to be discovering and embracing this music.  It ensures a good future for it.   Wink
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2015, 08:39:29 AM »

I think Carl's and Brian's vocals are the hardest to tell apart on the earlier work.

Brian and Al too, though - hands down, who noticed it was Al, not Brian, doing the non-Mike lines the first time they heard IKTTAA?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx