gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:38:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Zombies  (Read 6706 times)
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »

Really into the Zombies lately, especially the "Odessey and Oracle" album (recorded 1967, released 1968).  Always hated that misspelling, but apparently the story goes that their cover artist misspelled "odyssey" and they didn't have time to make him correct it, so they changed the album title to conform.

"Hung Up on a Dream" is not my favorite track on the album by any stretch, but just listen to it and see if you agree that it would fit right in on the "Sunflower" album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XOd6Uajh-4

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »

The Zombies are cool. I always forget how to spell "odyssey" correctly because of their album.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 08:29:31 PM »

Awesome band, though don't listen to them as much as I used to. Begin Here is also a great album. Created pages for Begin Here and Odessey And Oracle on TV Tropes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:36:17 PM »

They were great before O and O...  That album just proved that they were excellent.  And then?  They sort of just split.  Thankfully Colin and Rod got back together... ... ...after that?  I don't know much other than I believe they have toured playing the complete O and O. Cool Guy

Had it originally on a green lp label...DATE or something like that.  Got it on cd with bonus stuff now.  Always liked Tell Her No and She's Not There and some of the songs on that initial N American album too.  Was Summertime one of them?  Those guys could 'play'...and sing.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 11:06:08 PM »

Check out the Colin Blunstone solo album One Year.  Chris White and Rod Argent produced it.  It's absolutely beautiful, a must listen if you like Odessey & Oracle.  And if you ever get a chance to see Colin and Rod's touring Zombies, they are absolutely incredible.

It's a beautiful thing too because these are guys who have always supported each other.  Their breaking up the band was more about wanting to go on to new things rather than because of any band turmoil.  Most of Colin Blunstone's solo material was supported by Rod Argent and Chris White as producers/songwriters/musicians, both whom of course also had some success with the prog group Argent.  It's all love with these guys, no drama like the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:37:20 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »

Most of Colin Blunstone's solo material was supported by Rod Argent and Chris White as producers/songwriters/musicians, both whom of course also had some success with the prog group Argent.  It's all love with these guys, no drama like the Beach Boys.

I love Odessey & Oracle. I only heard it in full a few years ago. "Time Of The Season" makes great sense as the album's closer.

Actually, I saw Argent at the 1972 Melody Maker Poll concert. Can't remember much about it, except for the excellent hit single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ApXhdT2P1g

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »

And if you ever get a chance to see Colin and Rod's touring Zombies, they are absolutely incredible.

I saw them live in a small venue about a year ago, and they put on a fantastic show. Colin's voice is still great, the band can reall play, and I think it was the longest concert I've ever been to. Rod had like a 4 minute keyboard solo and it was amazing. Definitely one of the best shows I've been to.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 10:35:53 AM »

They have some great, forgotten singles - Imagine a Swan, Goin' Out of My Head, Gotta Get a Hold of Myself and Is This the Dream are some favorites. I own the 'Singles Collection: A's and B's' on Big Beat and it's a great listen.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 02:26:15 AM »

Check out the Colin Blunstone solo album One Year.  Chris White and Rod Argent produced it.  It's absolutely beautiful, a must listen if you like Odessey & Oracle.

I took your advice but couldn't warm to it and stopped about halfway through side two----so shoot me!  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 08:05:12 AM »

Discovered an original pressing of O&O for €500 in a record shop a couple of weeks ago. I still don't own a copy although it's one of my favourite albums. Tongue

P.S. There's already some smaller Zombies/O&O threads - could the mods please join those and this one?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:10:42 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »

Check out the Colin Blunstone solo album One Year.  Chris White and Rod Argent produced it.  It's absolutely beautiful, a must listen if you like Odessey & Oracle.

I took your advice but couldn't warm to it and stopped about halfway through side two----so shoot me!  Grin

That album is fantastic; as good as O&O.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »

Our very own Soniclovenoize put together a very nice "final" Zombies LP here:

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-zombies-rip.html
mel91679
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 10:16:15 PM »

Hey there
Me and the wife travelled to the Birchmere about 5 years ago to see the Zombies. They are awesome in concert and I recommend their 2 dvd's that are out there Live at the Bloomsbury Theatre and Odessey and Oracle revisited. You wont be disappointed.
Joe
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »

Hey there
Me and the wife travelled to the Birchmere about 5 years ago to see the Zombies. They are awesome in concert and I recommend their 2 dvd's that are out there Live at the Bloomsbury Theatre and Odessey and Oracle revisited. You wont be disappointed.
Joe
Darian Sahanaja should be on that 2nd DVD, right? Smiley
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »

O & O is a profoundly overrated album on Beach Boys fanboy sites.
It has a nice enough sixties feel.  But really...relax.  There is no great song,
no complex harmony, no understanding of history. No shift
in ontology.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 10:16:13 AM »

It has a nice enough sixties feel.  But really...relax.  There is no great song,
in ontology.
LOL

You're joking, right..?

Otherwise.. I pity you.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 02:25:25 PM »

in ontology.

LOL Of course you're 100% right. LOL

Somewhere.  Just not on a MUSIC site. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 04:26:54 PM »

in ontology.
What about Time Of The Season? Or Butcher's Tale? Nonsense....
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »

There is no great song

Oww, how I love it when somebody presents their subjective opinion as fact. I think O&O may just be the most consistent album I've ever heard on a song-by-song basis - there is not one track I don't love. Maybe 'Changes' but even that grew on me lately.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 04:49:31 PM »

in ontology.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »

OK. I need to know which CD version of O&O has the best mono mix. So many Damn versions of this album!

1) 40th anniversary edition with both the mono and stereo versions. (Repertoire)

2) 2011 "The CBS years 1967-1969" with both the mono and stereo versions as well as the unreleased R.I.P. album. (Repertoire)

3) 2008 (Big Beat UK) version with both mono and stereo versions.

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:18:36 AM by BiNNS » Logged
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »

Every single recording of theirs besides Odessey and Oracle that I've heard has been massively distorted. I'm talking almost unlistenable. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWjYTWGu6I  - The vocals on the chorus are the biggest culprit on this song.

Am I just crazy? Is there a remastered version of their collection that doesn't have this problem?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 10:40:26 AM »

Every single recording of theirs besides Odessey and Oracle that I've heard has been massively distorted. I'm talking almost unlistenable. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWjYTWGu6I  - The vocals on the chorus are the biggest culprit on this song.

Am I just crazy? Is there a remastered version of their collection that doesn't have this problem?

That does sound rough!
Begin Here: The Complete Decca Mono Recordings 1964-67 has fantastic sound. An essential purchase.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 10:55:09 AM »

That does sound rough!
Begin Here: The Complete Decca Mono Recordings 1964-67 has fantastic sound. An essential purchase.
Thanks Mike's Beard! Unfortunately, the cheapest copy I can find in Canada is $35. Too much for a student. I'll keep my eyes open for it to go down in price.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:56:58 AM by Nothgual » Logged
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 07:06:44 AM »

OK. I need to know which CD version of O&O has the best mono mix. So many Damn versions of this album!

There's a needledrop of the mono LP floating around that's far better than any official cd release.

Also, R.I.P. is tremendous and there's some really good stuff on Into the Afterlife as well.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx