gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:53:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LOVE AND MERCY screening  (Read 33831 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2015, 10:19:10 AM »

Looks like Flo and Eddie to me. Surely the Mark Volman-ness of the guy in specs is not a mistake.

That's a very good call.  According to the dialogue from the trailer as matched up with the screenplay that's 'Hipster #1' and 'Hipster #2' I believe.  But I believe that's the look they are going for... Flo & Eddie.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »

Looks like Flo and Eddie to me. Surely the Mark Volman-ness of the guy in specs is not a mistake.

That's a very good call.  According to the dialogue from the trailer as matched up with the screenplay that's 'Hipster #1' and 'Hipster #2' I believe.  But I believe that's the look they are going for... Flo & Eddie.

Did anyone here see Flo and Eddie do their Mike Love impression in the 70's?  I was told it was incredibly funny, but never witnessed it myself.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »

Oh my god!!! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »

Did anyone here see Flo and Eddie do their Mike Love impression in the 70's?  I was told it was incredibly funny, but never witnessed it myself.

Sure would like to see that  LOL
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2015, 02:18:37 PM »

Sure would like to see that  LOL

You'd think there would be video, right?  It was a long time ago.  My friend Michele Meyer saw it and told me it was really, really funny.  Michele knew pretty much everybody and saw nearly everything in Hollywood during those years.  She was Miss Pamela des Barres's buddy, as well as with Paulette Fataar's.  One of the smartest, funniest women in Hollywood who eventually became a star-maker.  I'm kind of surprised Cameron Crowe hasn't done a film about her yet.  Flo and Eddie shared her style of humor!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2015, 03:36:18 PM »

Yup!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2015, 10:32:59 PM »

Featuring Mark Linett as Chuck Britz! Very cool.

Just behind them, check out the headstock of that guitar...looks like a Danelectro "Bellzouki" 12-string electric...hmmm.  Wink

I think I understand you're "hmmm" ... didn't we have a discussion about that guitar on this board a year or two back?!? Like there was no photographic evidence of the Bellzouki, but we decided it might have been one of the main 12-ers used on the '60s sessions?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2015, 09:37:35 AM »

Just behind them, check out the headstock of that guitar...looks like a Danelectro "Bellzouki" 12-string electric...hmmm.  Wink

I think I understand you're "hmmm" ... didn't we have a discussion about that guitar on this board a year or two back?!? Like there was no photographic evidence of the Bellzouki, but we decided it might have been one of the main 12-ers used on the '60s sessions?

That's the one, Donny!  Smiley  The frustrating thing is that the WIBN intro could be played on any electric 12 to the point where it sounds right - 14th fret, no need to detune or do anything special to get the sound. But in early 1966, there were not many options available...the Fender XII like you play, the Rickenbacker, and the Danelectro are pretty much the only major ones I'd expect to have seen in an LA studio player's arsenal at that time...mostly for issues of playability and reliability, not to mention tone. Then we have some photos of Tommy Tedesco with a Bellzouki at a session, and word that some other players used them. Factor in Barney Kessel, who was an early user of a Danelectro baritone in the 50's...or whoever/whatever that still photo from the movie is supposed to be showing...it just jumped out of that photo to see what was a portrayal of a 1966 era session showing a Bellzouki rather than a regular Danelectro, even.

I know what I'll be watching for in the film in those studio scenes.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »

That's the one, Donny!  Smiley  The frustrating thing is that the WIBN intro could be played on any electric 12 to the point where it sounds right - 14th fret, no need to detune or do anything special to get the sound. But in early 1966, there were not many options available...the Fender XII like you play, the Rickenbacker, and the Danelectro are pretty much the only major ones I'd expect to have seen in an LA studio player's arsenal at that time...mostly for issues of playability and reliability, not to mention tone. Then we have some photos of Tommy Tedesco with a Bellzouki at a session, and word that some other players used them. Factor in Barney Kessel, who was an early user of a Danelectro baritone in the 50's...or whoever/whatever that still photo from the movie is supposed to be showing...it just jumped out of that photo to see what was a portrayal of a 1966 era session showing a Bellzouki rather than a regular Danelectro, even.

I know what I'll be watching for in the film in those studio scenes.  Grin

If I remember correctly, we decided the Bellzouki for the same reasons they used the Dano 6-string bass: because this was a utility instrument, for novelty or 'teenage' sessions, as opposed to using a more expensive instrument like a Gibson 335-12 or a Ric. It seems like rock stars like Carl and John Phillips would use the higher-end stuff though.  I think the Fender XII was a studio standard though ... priced slightly on the higher side, but I don't think as much as a Gibson or Ric? It's also easier to play than those models, and was unique for being a purpose-built 12 (as opposed to a modified 6-string).

My guess regarding 12-string acoustics is Gibson B25-12 ... for the same reasons as noted above! Unless they had one of those wacky Hoyers! Smiley

Regarding the studio still ... I have to note ... hard to tell from the photo, but I think the Scully 4-track is not period correct ... that's a later Scully (late '60s-early '70s) I believe, with the light tan colored electronics, instead of the silverface of the earlier '60s model ... ha but we can't have it all I guess!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:12:31 PM by DonnyL » Logged

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2015, 05:48:09 PM »

If some of those music pieces doesn't make the final cut (specially  those wierd and exotic mash-ups) I'm gonna hate myself so much for having read that post...

Don't hate yourself! Some of those music pieces didn't make the final cut, but other stuff not listed is in -- like a snatch of "The In Crowd." Trainspotters and collage-dissectors will be pleased to know the credits feature a breakdown of which songs were used for each collage... and they get INCREDIBLY dense with fragments of a dozen or two tracks layered together, studio session chatter drenched in reverb... They all have individual track titles... And yes: I want a release. Atticus Rose did a brilliant job!

Everyone did. What Howie and Ray said, underlined. Bold. Italics. I loved this film and can't wait to see it again and sink into the soundtrack. This was an overwhelming piece of work, so much better than I had anticipated. I figured I'd love Dano and feel iffy about Cusack. Cusack absolutely friggin' nailed it. It wasn't some ridiculous idiot savant Forrest Gump-style Hollywood parody of Brian, but a sensitive portrayal that really got his shy humor down to a tee. It might not look like it from the stills, but wow -- Cusack did his homework BIGTIME, the nuances, the expressions, he had his voice down pat. He must've been scouring youtube for footage!

The Landy era segments were TONS more harrowing and emotional than I figured, not merely a traditional Hollywood "redemptive power of luv" narrative. Sure there was love and redemption and mercy, but they didn't pull any punches or have Melinda swinging from a vine saving Brian like a superhero. They stuck to the actual story, and it's one that some people need to be reminded of judging by some of the defenses in the Landy thread. I still don't entirely get people who profess to love Brian but hate Melinda: i'd like to see YOU pull off what she did. Banks did an excellent job playing her with unshakable dignity.

Giamatti was hilarious, creepy, and wonderful. Dano: I don't even need to say it. You know he was possessed or something! I wanted to live inside those Pet Sounds/Smile scenes.

I wasn't a big fan of "I'm Not There" and initially was disappointed to hear Oren Moverman would be doing this. In fact I couldn't stand that movie... I worried this might be a bit too cloying and clever-clever, but he DID do excellent work with a low budget James Ellroy piece, "Rampart" and showed another side to his work and ability to write relationships, and here he stuck to the essential story... and I can't imagine a fan of BW's or a fan of human beings in general not to emphasize with the characters.

Looking forward to see what Bill Pohlad does next, clearly it was a waste for him to just produce. The guy is a born director.

The screenplay had a lot of stuff not in the cut I saw, so I'm curious if you could provide some more excerpts, PS: the Spector scene and the Murry/Rhonda session are not in any more. During one of the collages where voices are berating BW, I could make out Murry but it definitely sounded like one of the voices was the actor playing Spector, saying stuff like "everything you ever did you stole from me!". I'd love to hear more about the cut scenes and hope the bluray release includes them, I could easily have sit still for another half hour!

Mike Lovers: tho I hear it was toned down from the script, if you guys can defend his every action these days... rest easy. You'll have no problem empathizing with and understanding Movie Mike. Tho a bit of the usual consummate asshole, he does have a point in his arguments and he isn't just a b-movie bad guy or cardboard heavy. In fact he's really not in it too much... but at least he has some important scenes, unlike poor Al! Also, this Mike has way more hair. So step away from the lawyers, Mr. Love!

Sure some of the tiny details are a little rearranged, and no doubt someone here will argue for 7 pages about a slightly inaccurate line about the production of "Smiley Smile" or the wrong kind of microphone used in one scene... but as Howie said, these things are besides the point. They did an incredibly good job bringing this story to life and so much love and affection was poured into every scene. I'm sure I missed tons of little details all throughout and I'm counting on you guys to itemize them all for me so I can pretend I spotted them when I watch this with friends.

Oh, and one last shout out to good ol' Kodak motion picture film. So glad they did this right and passed on crispy, crappy digital. This movie LOOKS GORGEOUS. Gawd bless filmstock at 24fps.

I laughed, I cried, my mouth dropped open. They did justice to these people and the music, when it could've SO easily gone south and been your usual cookie-cutter biopic forgotten in two weeks. You guys are gonna fuckin' love it. Just wait. If Lionsgate gets behind it and pushes come awards season, they could end up with some lovely statuettes. Finally, a good Beach Boys movie. It'll be decades before we see it's equal.

NYC screening, so expect a lot more reviews soon!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:57:42 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2015, 08:36:28 PM »

If some of those music pieces doesn't make the final cut (specially  those wierd and exotic mash-ups) I'm gonna hate myself so much for having read that post...

The screenplay had a lot of stuff not in the cut I saw, so I'm curious if you could provide some more excerpts, PS: the Spector scene and the Murry/Rhonda session are not in any more.

Not a particularly great loss on the Spector. I want to be careful in not stepping over any boundaries, re: copyright and spoilers, but this seems okay to publish, given the fact that it's been cut:

31 EX WESTERN RECORDING STUDIO 3 – NIGHT

Brian-Past walks out of the building and stops dead in his tracks, recognizing: PHIL SPECTOR, a small man wearing sunglasses at night smoking a cigarette and talking with a YOUNG WOMAN. Spector notices Brian-Past.

SPECTOR: Can I help you?

BRIAN-PAST You’re Phil Spector

SPECTOR Really? Thanks for the reminder.

BRIAN-PAST No, I meant I know you. We met. Lou Adler’s party. I’m --

Spector starts to walk away with the Young Woman.

BRIAN-PAST You’re the best, man. I really admire—

SPECTOR Yeah. Yeah.

Brian-Past follows them. Amused and annoyed, Spector stops and turns to face the much taller Brian-Past.

BRIAN-PAST  I love your studio. The way you work it. I dig your sound. “Be My Baby” is the greatest song ever recorded as far as I’m concerned. I never stop listening to it. “Uptown” “Chapel of Love” “Baby I Love You” Everything you do is—I just think you’re the greatest music producer and arranger ever. I’ve learned a lot from you.

SPECTOR You mean you’re trying to be like me.

BRIAN-PAST What? No. I’m. I’m Bri—

SPECTOR I know who you are, Brian. The Beach Boys. “America’s Band”. I’m not much interested in surf bands.

Spector takes the Young Woman’s hand and walks away. Brian-Past stares after them, shaken.

I really appreciate your review and genuine enthusiasm, Ontor, added to Ray's and Howie's. I too am looking forward to seeing this and I'm deeply appreciative of the care they apparently took to get it right.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:45:27 PM by PS » Logged
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2015, 09:15:18 PM »

The screenplay had a lot of stuff not in the cut I saw, so I'm curious if you could provide some more excerpts, PS: the Spector scene and the Murry/Rhonda session are not in any more.

No Murry/Rhonda session in the script. The famous Murry lines we all know and love from "Rhonda" have been shifted to the "I Get Around" session in the script.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2015, 09:31:15 PM »

I hope they put that Murry "I Get Around" scene on the bluray so I could watch my oos and ahs... Murry was very well portrayed and his scene being played a snatch of "God Only Knows" is fantastic. Intense and horrible stuff.

All in all it makes me want to find the boneheads and Stamoses who made "An American Family" and have them tarred and feathered.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:55:54 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »

All in all it makes me want to find the boneheads and Stamoses who made "An American Family" and have them tarred and feathered.
if he voluntarily submits to De-Stamosification he won't be subjected to any punishment. We should lure Fred Weller here and make him an honored guest.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:57:34 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2015, 09:55:29 PM »

ontor, you lucky dog you. nice review. what was your favorite '80s era scene/moment?

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2015, 10:05:29 PM »

I hope they put that Murry "I Get Around" scene on the bluray so I could watch my oos and ahs... Murry was very well portrayed and his scene being played a snatch of "God Only Knows" is fantastic.

The Murry/Get Around scene - #11 -  is one of the most extended scenes in the entire script, a full 5 1/2 pages, with lines for Murry, Mike, Dennis, and a couple for Carl, Al and Chuck...so I'm a bit surprised to hear that it was cut out entirely. Hmmm.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:07:42 PM by PS » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2015, 11:47:36 PM »

Hmm did I get this wrong and confuse a different Murry/studio argument deleted scene? I didn't hear any of his semi-catchphrases or dialogue from the infamous session tape.

Maybe they thought one of the arguments was repetitive. Anyway i'm sure you'll be able to figure it out soon enough. Thanks so much for the Spector bit.  

what was your favorite '80s era scene/moment?

Landy bragging about his Underground Dictionary. Giamatti was an inspired choice.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:34:12 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »

I laughed, I cried, my mouth dropped open. They did justice to these people and the music, when it could've SO easily gone south and been your usual cookie-cutter biopic forgotten in two weeks. You guys are gonna fuckin' love it. Just wait. If Lionsgate gets behind it and pushes come awards season, they could end up with some lovely statuettes. Finally, a good Beach Boys movie. It'll be decades before we see it's equal.

Very pleased to see your thoughts about the film.  Have always enjoyed your YouTube BB collage videos. 

Something you mentioned about the way the film was shot takes me back to how happy I was when I read that Bob Yeoman was the DP for the film. 

Although the film was made on a small scale, it sounds like no expense (time/money/otherwise) was spared in lovingly crafting this story the right way.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2015, 04:57:55 AM »

Don't hate yourself! Some of those music pieces didn't make the final cut, but other stuff not listed is in -- like a snatch of "The In Crowd." Trainspotters and collage-dissectors will be pleased to know the credits feature a breakdown of which songs were used for each collage... and they get INCREDIBLY dense with fragments of a dozen or two tracks layered together, studio session chatter drenched in reverb... They all have individual track titles... And yes: I want a release. Atticus Rose did a brilliant job!

Everyone did. What Howie and Ray said, underlined. Bold. Italics. I loved this film and can't wait to see it again and sink into the soundtrack. This was an overwhelming piece of work, so much better than I had anticipated. I figured I'd love Dano and feel iffy about Cusack. Cusack absolutely friggin' nailed it. It wasn't some ridiculous idiot savant Forrest Gump-style Hollywood parody of Brian, but a sensitive portrayal that really got his shy humor down to a tee. It might not look like it from the stills, but wow -- Cusack did his homework BIGTIME, the nuances, the expressions, he had his voice down pat. He must've been scouring youtube for footage!

The Landy era segments were TONS more harrowing and emotional than I figured, not merely a traditional Hollywood "redemptive power of luv" narrative. Sure there was love and redemption and mercy, but they didn't pull any punches or have Melinda swinging from a vine saving Brian like a superhero. They stuck to the actual story, and it's one that some people need to be reminded of judging by some of the defenses in the Landy thread. I still don't entirely get people who profess to love Brian but hate Melinda: i'd like to see YOU pull off what she did. Banks did an excellent job playing her with unshakable dignity.

Giamatti was hilarious, creepy, and wonderful. Dano: I don't even need to say it. You know he was possessed or something! I wanted to live inside those Pet Sounds/Smile scenes.

I wasn't a big fan of "I'm Not There" and initially was disappointed to hear Oren Moverman would be doing this. In fact I couldn't stand that movie... I worried this might be a bit too cloying and clever-clever, but he DID do excellent work with a low budget James Ellroy piece, "Rampart" and showed another side to his work and ability to write relationships, and here he stuck to the essential story... and I can't imagine a fan of BW's or a fan of human beings in general not to emphasize with the characters.

Looking forward to see what Bill Pohlad does next, clearly it was a waste for him to just produce. The guy is a born director.

The screenplay had a lot of stuff not in the cut I saw, so I'm curious if you could provide some more excerpts, PS: the Spector scene and the Murry/Rhonda session are not in any more. During one of the collages where voices are berating BW, I could make out Murry but it definitely sounded like one of the voices was the actor playing Spector, saying stuff like "everything you ever did you stole from me!". I'd love to hear more about the cut scenes and hope the bluray release includes them, I could easily have sit still for another half hour!

Mike Lovers: tho I hear it was toned down from the script, if you guys can defend his every action these days... rest easy. You'll have no problem empathizing with and understanding Movie Mike. Tho a bit of the usual consummate asshole, he does have a point in his arguments and he isn't just a b-movie bad guy or cardboard heavy. In fact he's really not in it too much... but at least he has some important scenes, unlike poor Al! Also, this Mike has way more hair. So step away from the lawyers, Mr. Love!

Sure some of the tiny details are a little rearranged, and no doubt someone here will argue for 7 pages about a slightly inaccurate line about the production of "Smiley Smile" or the wrong kind of microphone used in one scene... but as Howie said, these things are besides the point. They did an incredibly good job bringing this story to life and so much love and affection was poured into every scene. I'm sure I missed tons of little details all throughout and I'm counting on you guys to itemize them all for me so I can pretend I spotted them when I watch this with friends.

Oh, and one last shout out to good ol' Kodak motion picture film. So glad they did this right and passed on crispy, crappy digital. This movie LOOKS GORGEOUS. Gawd bless filmstock at 24fps.

Rock! Rock! Rock!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2015, 06:14:01 AM »

Wonderful review, Ontor. And thanks PS for that script snippet. Sounds and looks like this film will make a lot of Beach Boys fans.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2015, 06:31:07 AM »

[...] Sounds and looks like this film will make a lot of Beach Boys fans.
That's the impression I got from the Berlinale audience as well. Lots of guests who didn't know anything about BW/BBs aside from hits on the radio, who were fascinated by all the buzz eminating from the fans in the audience before the film started, who were transfixed by the story and Dano/Cusack during the film and who were excitedly chatting afterwards. I expect a considerable number of new registrations for SmileySmile, starting in June. Cheesy
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2015, 06:50:34 AM »

That's the impression I got from the Berlinale audience as well. Lots of guests who didn't know anything about BW/BBs aside from hits on the radio, who were fascinated by all the buzz eminating from the fans in the audience before the film started, who were transfixed by the story and Dano/Cusack during the film and who were excitedly chatting afterwards. I expect a considerable number of new registrations for SmileySmile, starting in June. Cheesy

Agreed. It'll also be fantastic to give this movie to family/friends and say "Hey, here's why I'm obsessed with this band" and hopefully they'll "get it" after watching the film.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2015, 07:03:07 AM »

Agreed. It'll also be fantastic to give this movie to family/friends and say "Hey, here's why I'm obsessed with this band" and hopefully they'll "get it" after watching the film.
Yeah, I've thought about that too. That'd be nice..
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2015, 07:30:02 AM »

Same here.  I actually want to take them with me, I'm pretty sure they will come. I look forward to talking to them about it afterwards, what impressions they have as non-fans.  Very, VERY excited about this movie.  June is too far away!!!!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »

Behold the awesomeness [source: Brian's facebook page]:

Brian with John Cusack at SXSW Press conference before the first U.S. Showing of Love & Mercy this afternoon.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx