gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:59:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LOVE AND MERCY screening  (Read 33828 times)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 01:51:01 PM »

Howie called me after the screening, and I couldn't believe how emotional his voice sounded.  He was a little surprised at how deeply the film effected him.

Regarding the music, he described the most unbelievable soundscape created by the films composer.  Really looking forward to seeing it now!

Ed ; I am pretty pumped after reading Howie's thoughts on the movie , as well as the score.Atticus Ross, who won the Academy Award , along with Trent Reznor for Social Network did the score. He told Brian and the director, he couldn't ever write anything  better than what Brian had already written, so he took snippets of Brian's compositions and  linked them together with a contemporary spin.  That's what composes the score.

Wait...Trent Reznor helped with the score?! I'm a bit loopy due to meds (mostly prescribed lol ) so I may have read that wrong.

I think he meant Trent Reznor helped with Atticus Ross' score for "The Social Network".

Yes ; that's what I meant.

I left the theatre feeling like I got hit by a locomotive; I was completely emotionally drained.  This is an incredible film; I can reiterate some of what Howie stated; funny , sad , gut wrenching, tragic...jarring.it's not a walk in the park.  Dano/Cusack wear Brian like a glove ; Banks is fabulous as Melinda ; she nailed it; Gianatti is Landy. Even his voice, it's spooky. The score is like nothing I have ever heard ; genius; my feeling was that it is supposed to represent all the music constantly playing in Brian's head.   The recreation of the Pet Sounds/Smile sessions is reason alone to see this film; for most people on this board. I love the way Dano's votive was interspersed with Brian's.

I am working so I have to cut it short for now, I will be back later with more thoughts.

Eugene Landy is still not dead enough for me.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »

Sounds like hard core fans would be advised to bring tissue and sit in the back row.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »

Sounds like hard core fans would be advised to bring tissue and sit in the back row.

Those are my plans.  Soon...very, very soon!  Landy not dead enough - yep...
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 03:02:55 PM »

It's great to hear that the movie is good; I'm most interested in the Cusack/"later" sections. Regarding Landy, it's interesting to remember that what's happening now is exactly what Landy wanted for himself - not just the money, notoriety and book, but wasn't he at one point shopping around the Brian-Gene movie with Gene, presumably, in the hero/savior role? I think I've seen old articles that had Gene and his partners talking up Richard Dreyfuss as Gene and William Hurt as Brian... Sounds like Landy got his movie, but not quite the one he envisioned.

Judging from the trailer, they've got scenes with the Sandbox. Questions: (1) Are there any known, publicly-accessible contemporaneous photos of the real Sandbox? (2) It looks like, in the movie, they've got a beach ball in the Sandbox. I don't necessarily expect anyone to actually know the answer to this, but is it known for a fact that Brian had a beach ball in there, or is that just artistic license on the part of the filmmakers? This is a weird question, but I find the Sandbox to be a brilliant stroke of creative genius on Brian's part and fascinating so I'm curious about that.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 03:05:18 PM »

There was lots of crying in the theatre.  I was holding on to the armrest for dear life; didn't want to lose it ; the guy sitting next to me was calmly eating jelly beans.

I can't wait to see it again ; I am sure I missed some of it as it was so intense
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 03:06:40 PM »

It's great to hear that the movie is good; I'm most interested in the Cusack/"later" sections. Regarding Landy, it's interesting to remember that what's happening now is exactly what Landy wanted for himself - not just the money, notoriety and book, but wasn't he at one point shopping around the Brian-Gene movie with Gene, presumably, in the hero/savior role? I think I've seen old articles that had Gene and his partners talking up Richard Dreyfuss as Gene and William Hurt as Brian... Sounds like Landy got his movie, but not quite the one he envisioned.

Judging from the trailer, they've got scenes with the Sandbox. Questions: (1) Are there any known, publicly-accessible contemporaneous photos of the real Sandbox? (2) It looks like, in the movie, they've got a beach ball in the Sandbox. I don't necessarily expect anyone to actually know the answer to this, but is it known for a fact that Brian had a beach ball in there, or is that just artistic license on the part of the filmmakers? This is a weird question, but I find the Sandbox to be a brilliant stroke of creative genius on Brian's part and fascinating so I'm curious about that.

Landy got the movie he deserved
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 03:26:57 PM »

Landy got the movie he deserved

;-)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »

It looks like, in the movie, they've got a beach ball in the Sandbox. I don't necessarily expect anyone to actually know the answer to this, but is it known for a fact that Brian had a beach ball in there, or is that just artistic license on the part of the filmmakers?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 03:41:50 PM »

Caught a screening of the film today. I thought it was absolutely brilliant on so many levels. I wasn't expecting to be so emotionally moved.

A major work worthy of its subject.

Yes, there are broad strokes that only people like us will know are broad strokes -- but none of the "inaccuracies" are done for any other reason than to advance the story and get the info and emotions in -- not to misrepresent or hinder it. It's a movie  -- not a doc. Some very real sh it in this film. Jarring. Sad. Heavy.

I've always made fun of biopics (with the ridiculously pristine Dodge Darts, rock bands from 1962 playing their guitars down by their crotches, and people in 1967 looking like Artimus Pyle), but this was pretty stirring and unforgettable.

Without question -- the best case scenario.

I'm glad to hear they've avoided some of the biopic pitfalls. They could never get a "Beatles Anthology" amount of detail into 90-120 minutes (doc or biopic), so I'd rather see a sharper focus on some interesting periods.

Hopefully this well get good enough distribution at the theaters, and/or we won't have to wait too long for the Blu-ray.

I'm also now intrigued to hear the score, as in the non-BB recordings. I wonder if they might be able to swing some sort of online-only download release of the score. A lot of films and TV shows get soundtrack/score releases online but not on CD.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 03:55:38 PM »

The thing that hit home for me -- and something that we take for granted, even while being tapped into it -- is just how miserable and pained this guy was for so much of his life. Some higher power put him here to give us joy and act as a salve for US - but he barely caught a break for himself. Couldn’t enjoy being in his own SKIN, let alone the accolades, wealth and his babies. You see what a raw deal he was consistently handed. Constant fear. And during his conscious moments, dealing with the illness and fear of Landy institutionalizing him as a retaliation. This poor guy must've wondered where the hell God was for most of his life.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 04:04:14 PM »

The thing that hit home for me -- and something that we take for granted, even while being tapped into it -- is just how miserable and pained this guy was for so much of his life. Some higher power put him here to give us joy and act as a salve for US - but he barely caught a break for himself. Couldn’t enjoy being in his own SKIN, let alone the accolades, wealth and his babies. You see what a raw deal he was consistently handed. Constant fear. And during his conscious moments, dealing with the illness and fear of Landy institutionalizing him as a retaliation. This poor guy must've wondered where the hell God was for most of his life.

Thanks, Howie.  So glad the price he paid - just to be him - came through this work.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 04:06:48 PM »

Beach balls aren't what I've heard was in the Sandbox.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 04:50:15 PM »

Okay - people have recently seen a movie we're all excited about, and we're worried about the sandbox?  I'm sorry, I don't mean to pick on the guy who posted this originally as it's an innocent question.  And this is so often a trivia and battle-oriented Board that I shouldn't expect valuable info to over-ride nonsense. 
BUT - these people who have seen it are profoundly moved.  Howie is giving us a professional review that I find mightily impressive.  Ray Lawlor is giving us his commentary as someone close to Brian, and this is what the focus is?  Okay, now I'm laughing, as long as we don't go back to the color of that truck for the promo - then I 'm probably going to hurt somebody before I'm banned for life. 

Did some of you people see "Apocalypse Now" and worry about the color of the guy's headband?...Never mind, forget I asked...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 05:01:28 PM »

1 - there are absolutely no known pictures of the sandbox, and if one - just one - hasn't turned up in 49 years, I'm betting there aren't any, period.

2 - no-one has ever mentioned a beach ball in the sand box (dog sh*t, yes): there was one in Brian's 1976 SNL performance... but does it really, really matter ? I say not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »

So glad my previous commentary had such a profound impact - as I expected!  Anyway, if I remember correctly, Brian had a photo of the sandbox.  Maybe he still does - who knows?
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 05:51:44 PM »

What I'm wondering now..... and maybe Howie and Ray could offer their thoughts on this...... do you think the average movie-goer, with only cursory knowledge of the Beach Boys and little to no knowledge of Brian Wilson's life, would likely be emotionally moved by this film? This sounds like an exceptional piece of quality work in all regards, so I'm just thinking about the possibility of it just standing on it's own as a film, without the viewer being emotionally invested in the story from the outset. That, to me, is a very exciting thought (because I am very emotionally invested in the story  Smiley).

I keep thinking about the clip in the "American Band" doc where Brian says in his imitable fashion, "We started out as babies.... and grew into men! It's a dramatic story! The story of the Beach Boys is a dramatic story!" I concur! I always knew there was a great movie to be made about Brian's life, and it sounds like that movie has finally been made.

And I hope to see the screening at SXSW this Sunday!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 05:53:45 PM »

1 - there are absolutely no known pictures of the sandbox, and if one - just one - hasn't turned up in 49 years, I'm betting there aren't any, period.

But HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!

How could something so unique not be documented photogenically?Huh
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 06:43:04 PM »

Gregg -- to answer your question, yes.
I don't think anyone with a heart and brain could be left unmoved by this.

This thing is art -- like Todd Haynes' I'm Not There -- but ultimately better and more important, because it's not using some device to tell the story.
The story's the f ucking story. It's REAL.

The bottom line, to get all philosophical, is that it shows the corruption or the "molestation" -- for want of a better word -- of a beautiful heart, a pure soul. I think it's safe to say that anyone coming near this movie has either a sophisticated artistic pallet, an interest in the subject, and most likely both. I went in preparing myself for the worst -- and honestly, the trailer doesn't do it justice. It's really not an accurate teaser for what's rolled out. I saw the trailer and was bracing myself for a very long Lifetime movie of the week. Even when people involved were telling me that it was incredible, I was still expecting some bullsh it like Backbeat.

I've yet to see the Wrecking Crew doc. I can't imagine it besting what's featured in Love And Mercy.
Personally, I don't want to trample on somebody's trip -- but at the end of the day, I'm not sure you NEED more than what's featured in the film.

I don't know what Lionsgate's distribution setup is for this. I don't know how far reaching their plans are.
There will be Oscar buzz for it though.

On the board there's undoubtedly going to be people who are going to be d icks about minor things -- and trust me -- they are minor; and I'll say it now: the people that are going to dwell on "That was never said. . . There was no meeting where. . .  He never went. . . " Entirely missed the point.

The film is an atom bomb.

It's about a guy who lives a personal internal Auschwitz nightmare yet still writes "This Whole World" for people he'll never meet.
If you think you love Brian Wilson now, wait until the final credits roll.

He should be at every screening for no other reason than to receive audience hugs.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:54:04 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »

Beautiful post, really makes me even more impatient to see the movie!

Is "This Whole World" in it or was it just an exemple to describe it? Shocked
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »

Gregg -- to answer your question, yes.
I don't think anyone with a heart and brain could be left unmoved by this.

This thing is art -- like Todd Haynes' I'm Not There -- but ultimately better and more important, because it's not using some device to tell the story.
The story's the f ucking story. It's REAL.

The bottom line, to get all philosophical, is that it shows the corruption or the "molestation" -- for want of a better word -- of a beautiful heart, a pure soul. I think it's safe to say that anyone coming near this movie has either a sophisticated artistic pallet, an interest in the subject, and most likely both. I went in preparing myself for the worst -- and honestly, the trailer doesn't do it justice. It's really not an accurate teaser for what's rolled out. I saw the trailer and was bracing myself for a very long Lifetime movie of the week. Even when people involved were telling me that it was incredible, I was still expecting some bullsh it like Backbeat.

I've yet to see the Wrecking Crew doc. I can't imagine it besting what's featured in Love And Mercy.
Personally, I don't want to trample on somebody's trip -- but at the end of the day, I'm not sure you NEED more than what's featured in the film.

I don't know what Lionsgate's distribution setup is for this. I don't know how far reaching their plans are.
There will be Oscar buzz for it though.

On the board there's undoubtedly going to be people who are going to be d icks about minor things -- and trust me -- they are minor; and I'll say it now: the people that are going to dwell on "That was never said. . . There was no meeting where. . .  He never went. . . " Entirely missed the point.

The film is an atom bomb.

It's about a guy who lives a personal internal Auschwitz nightmare yet still writes "This Whole World" for people he'll never meet.
If you think you love Brian Wilson now, wait until the final credits rolls.

He should be at every screening for no other reason than to receive audience hugs.

Thanks again, Howie, for sharing your thoughts. Beautifully written, I especially love your line, "It's about a guy who lives a personal internal Auschwitz nightmare yet still writes 'This Whole World' for people he'll never meet." Chillingly succinct.

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »

No, "This Whole World" is not featured.

One thing I am definitely looking forward to is reading a printout by someone from the board, of what exactly the soundscapes consist of -- that will be fascinating.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »

What I'm wondering now..... and maybe Howie and Ray could offer their thoughts on this...... do you think the average movie-goer, with only cursory knowledge of the Beach Boys and little to no knowledge of Brian Wilson's life, would likely be emotionally moved by this film? This sounds like an exceptional piece of quality work in all regards, so I'm just thinking about the possibility of it just standing on it's own as a film, without the viewer being emotionally invested in the story from the outset. That, to me, is a very exciting thought (because I am very emotionally invested in the story  Smiley).

I keep thinking about the clip in the "American Band" doc where Brian says in his imitable fashion, "We started out as babies.... and grew into men! It's a dramatic story! The story of the Beach Boys is a dramatic story!" I concur! I always knew there was a great movie to be made about Brian's life, and it sounds like that movie has finally been made.

And I hope to see the screening at SXSW this Sunday!

Gregg;  I believe that even people not emotionally invested will enjoy this film. The story of how Brian Wilson and Melinda Ledbetter became a couple is a very compelling part of the story which i havent touched on yet. How Landy attempts to manipulate her , then ultimately becomes abusive and prohibits her from seeing Brian ; how she goes up against Landy and with the inside assistance of Gloria Ramos , finally gets the goods on Landy to turn over to the state of California.  I don't want to give out too much , but as Howie said , this movie is an atom bomb. It's about a guy being in a hopeless imprisoned situation , and a woman who was relentless in  getting him out of it. A remarkable story.  I had forgotten how horrible it was ; after seeing this film I never will again.  I need to go out there and hug the both of them.

And I need that score by Atticus Ross
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 10:31:52 PM »

No, "This Whole World" is not featured.

One thing I am definitely looking forward to is reading a printout by someone from the board, of what exactly the soundscapes consist of -- that will be fascinating.

Oh okay, nevermind then, still a very good way to describe Brian anyway Smiley

I'm really curious as to what Beach Boys, Brian Wilson music we hear in it!

Is the Dennis tragic death mentioned in the movie?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:45:35 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2015, 12:12:11 AM »

A re-post from September 23 that I wrote. Please note that this is not based on seeing a final cut of the film (I haven't), but from a final draft of the script that I read. So, let's call a possible Spoiler Alert for those who don't want to know:

Some have been speculating about the music cues in the film. I quickly compiled a list of cues that I noted in the script for anyone who might be interested (Spoiler Alert?) - although many of these have been mentioned in Toronto reviews I've seen and word of mouth I've heard). Some are ambiguous (diegetic v non-diegetic), and some I've heard didn't make it to the final cut (Norwegian Wood, for obvious reasons I'm guessing):

Don’t Worry Baby (studio session)

Surfin’ USA (live)

Surfer Girl (live)

Fun Fun Fun (live)

Songbird (Kenny G) - Muzak

I Get Around (studio session)

Norwegian Wood (The Beatles) - (outdoor playback of Rubber Soul album)

Be My Baby (45 rpm playing in Brian's bedroom)

Pet Sounds (studio session)

Wouldn't It Be Nice (studio session)

God Only Knows (Brian plays demo on piano for Murry)

You Still Believe in Me (Brian plays chords and sings in studio as he works it out)

You Still Believe in Me (tracking session)

God Only Knows (tracking session)

Banana and Louie (studio session)

Brian plays “Achingly Beautiful Melody” (for Melinda in Malibu)

Pet Sounds Vocal Montage:

You Still Believe in Me (vocal session)

Sloop John B (vocal session)

Hang Onto Your Ego (vocal session)

Here Today (vocal session)

Caroline No (vocal session)

I Live for the Sun (Murry plays acetate)

Mack the Knife (Brian's mind)

The Magic Flute (Brian's mind)

Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) - non-diegetic (?) instrumental track plays during Brian's first LSD trip

Stoked (Beach Boys instrumental) – non-diegetic soundtrack (60's) turns into a diegetic track from emanating from a boom box on a sailboat (80's)

Good Vibrations (Brian plays chords at the dinner party, working it out at the piano)

Good Vibrations montage - various studios and sessions:

Western 3 - Instrumental tracking

Gold star - Vocal session

Un-named Recording Studio

Western 3 - alternative vocal session

Control Room playback of final mixed version of song

Dinner party guests silverware and glass music "session", with Brian chanting over the "cacaphony"

Surf’s Up (Inside Pop) with Bernstein VO

Heroes and Villains (Brian and VDP work composing session)

“Fire” sessions (Gold Star)

Smile montage (Columbia):
a. Heroes and Villains (Brian demonstrates to group on piano)
b. Beach Boys harmonize on “Prelude”
c. Session musicians playing kazoos, toy whistles, bells and various childhood instruments
d. Brian piano theme, which “deteriorates as the take comes to an end and the notes played become random and jumbled.”

Brian sings Plymouth Rock chant in swimming pool

The final chord of Day in the Life (Beatles) and phonograph needle lifts

Two Step Side Step (Brian sings briefly to Hal)

Wonderful (version 3) plays, “a heartbreaking piano” as Brian stares into the Bellagio swimming pool

Rhapsody in Blue playing in Brian’s bedroom

Rhapsody in Blue turns into A Day in the Life a Tree as Brian takes Landy’s pills

“The Beach Boys Sunflower plays” over 1950s Wilson Hawthorne house in Brian’s mind montage

Day by Day (The Four Freshmen) over ocean/beach house in Malibu day (non-diegetic?)

Till I Die (non-diegetic scene with Landy)

Do it Again (non-diegetic over Cadillac dealership 1986)

In My Room (non-diegetic, Brian’s bedroom) – becomes "UNBEARABLY LOUD"

A “Cheesy Pop song” (Melinda’s car cassette)

Wouldn’t It Be Nice (non-diegetic as the car drives away, but Pet Sounds is seen in Melinda’s car prior)

WIBN continues over final SUPERTITLES

Love and Mercy from Live at the Roxy plays over final credits (with the live video, I’m told, playing in a corner of the frame as credits roll)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2015, 04:05:23 PM »

Woah, now if this is legit... could someone confirm?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:13:50 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx