gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:03:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LOVE AND MERCY screening  (Read 33825 times)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »

Caught a screening of the film today. I thought it was absolutely brilliant on so many levels. I wasn't expecting to be so emotionally moved.

A major work worthy of its subject.

Yes, there are broad strokes that only people like us will know are broad strokes -- but none of the "inaccuracies" are done for any other reason than to advance the story and get the info and emotions in -- not to misrepresent or hinder it. It's a movie  -- not a doc. Some very real sh it in this film. Jarring. Sad. Heavy.

I've always made fun of biopics (with the ridiculously pristine Dodge Darts, rock bands from 1962 playing their guitars down by their crotches, and people in 1967 looking like Artimus Pyle), but this was pretty stirring and unforgettable.

Without question -- the best case scenario.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »

Glad to see a positive review from you, Howie. I'm really looking forward to this and I was hoping it would pass inspection for most of us fans.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 07:38:26 PM »

A worthy endorsement.  Very glad to hear it Howie.  Thanks.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 01:12:08 AM »

Good stuff… roll on a UK screening :/

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:16:42 AM »

Excellent to hear, Howie! Glad to hear it didn't fry your bullshit detector. No doubt the footnote brigade will comb through every line and studiously ignore the need for things like narrative, but I am loving the feedback so far from people who know the score.

What did you make of the soundtrack? Anything in particular stick out? Was intrigued by Lowbacca's talk of the sound mix.

Roll on, SXSW.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 03:02:58 AM »

Film's sound-track is something to snuggle into and die. Pure bliss.

Glad you liked the film, Howie. It really is a piece of art.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »

Howie called me after the screening, and I couldn't believe how emotional his voice sounded.  He was a little surprised at how deeply the film effected him.

Regarding the music, he described the most unbelievable soundscape created by the films composer.  Really looking forward to seeing it now!
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »

Howie called me after the screening, and I couldn't believe how emotional his voice sounded.  He was a little surprised at how deeply the film effected him.

Regarding the music, he described the most unbelievable soundscape created by the films composer.  Really looking forward to seeing it now!

Ed ; I am pretty pumped after reading Howie's thoughts on the movie , as well as the score.Atticus Ross, who won the Academy Award , along with Trent Reznor for Social Network did the score. He told Brian and the director, he couldn't ever write anything  better than what Brian had already written, so he took snippets of Brian's compositions and  linked them together with a contemporary spin.  That's what composes the score.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »

Am puzzled why there is no word of soundtrack being released, especially now with such great reviews.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 11:49:08 AM »

The reason for no soundtrack is simple.

There's already 400 LP’s with these same exact songs on it. There’s no reason for it — especially with new Brian product coming in April.

Now, there absolutely SHOULD be a disc released of Atticus Rose’s work, which is beyond belief and absolutely Oscar-worthy as is Paul Dano’s performance.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 11:52:23 AM »

There's already 400 LP’s with these same exact songs on it. There’s no reason for it — especially with new Brian product coming in April.

Now, there absolutely SHOULD be a disc released of Atticus Rose’s work, which is beyond belief and absolutely Oscar-worthy as is Paul Dano’s performance.

That's what I would want on the Soundtrack, the soundtrack music! not any actual previously released BB BW songs used separately

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 12:13:42 PM »

I think I read in Billboard several times that there will be a soundtrack.  And I would imagine it would be the actual SCORE by Atticus Ross, which by all accounts is brilliant.

Thanks for the positive vibes from your screening.  I'm unbelievably jazzed to finally see this.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »

Atticus Rose work is what I meant, pardon my loose terminology.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 12:52:10 PM »

Hi Howie ; I think , going in , that everyone knew that the score could not be Oscar qualified as Atticus Ross used  previous work by Brian; in order to Oscar qualified it has to be original compositions.  Sounds like you loved it !
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 01:04:43 PM »

Busy couple of days and was delighted to return to read Howie's review of the film.  So looking forward to it.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »

And also Ray, I'm betting that while certain parties/publishers might've happily signed off on the use in the movie, creating a new sellable version of a track utilizing many different writers would've been a nightmare in regards to clearances.

It's a shame re: the Oscars: should get "Best ADAPTED Score."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »

Ed ; I am pretty pumped after reading Howie's thoughts on the movie , as well as the score.Atticus Ross, who won the Academy Award , along with Trent Reznor for Social Network did the score. He told Brian and the director, he couldn't ever write anything  better than what Brian had already written, so he took snippets of Brian's compositions and  linked them together with a contemporary spin.  That's what composes the score.

Wait...Trent Reznor helped with the score?! I'm a bit loopy due to meds (mostly prescribed lol ) so I may have read that wrong.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »

Wait...Trent Reznor helped with the score?! I'm a bit loopy due to meds (mostly prescribed lol ) so I may have read that wrong.

Many of us envy those meds right now - my damn shoulder is killing me for the 5th day in a row.  I KNEW I would make a crappy old lady.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 05:38:49 PM »

I feel ya..preaching to the choir! Gallbladder issues here. Two weeks I find out if it's coming out or not. Got antibiotics, medication for my ulcer, 2 different kinds of painkillers (technically three, but I'm only counting non-organic medicine ^_^). My wife has bad rheumatoid arthritis, and with it being cold, poor thing has not had an easy time. Sad part is, I'm going on 37 and she's going on 36, so I can just imagine how we'll be in 20 years! Age is how you feel, so I'm somewhere between the milk in my fridge and Bob Hope's ghost.  Thankfully I'm drop dead sexy* so I've got that. LOL

*despite the fact that my beard's going grey, being bald, and about 50 pounds from my target weight!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 07:30:53 PM »

I think he meant Trent Reznor helped with Atticus Ross' score for "The Social Network".

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »

Ahhh...got happy for a moment!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 09:23:31 PM »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:13:49 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »

I feel ya..preaching to the choir! Gallbladder issues here. Two weeks I find out if it's coming out or not. Got antibiotics, medication for my ulcer, 2 different kinds of painkillers (technically three, but I'm only counting non-organic medicine ^_^). My wife has bad rheumatoid arthritis, and with it being cold, poor thing has not had an easy time. Sad part is, I'm going on 37 and she's going on 36, so I can just imagine how we'll be in 20 years! Age is how you feel, so I'm somewhere between the milk in my fridge and Bob Hope's ghost.  Thankfully I'm drop dead sexy* so I've got that. LOL

*despite the fact that my beard's going grey, being bald, and about 50 pounds from my target weight!

Billy - We feel for you and with you!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »

Oh man!  Gallbladder is old news, that's last week and next week for me; this week is Kidney and Bladder. Wish I could have something better than percocets. Morphine and dilaudid felt good in the ER

Last time my kidneys pitched a major, major fit, I was on a morphine drip for five days. Everything tasted like iron filings but, hey, I was flying high, didn't give a sh*t.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 01:13:05 PM »

I don't know if I can watch a Beach Boys-related biopic if it doesn't have either mismatched beards or someone's mustache falling off mid-scene.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx