gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:17:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian announces new tour with Al and Blondie  (Read 19729 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 11:00:18 PM »

LOL f*** that, I'll drive to Dallas as it's closer, although I was hoping to meet up with a couple of fellow Brian fans who live here at a local deli pre-show. That, plus I'm not too fond of Dallas :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2015, 05:58:31 AM »

JUNE 18 Saratoga, CA  – The Mountain Winery.

I'm there! Great venue. Have seen a few concerts there, including The Boys and a couple of Brian solo gigs. Even saw Brian fall down on stage there.

Have dinner with a little Mountain Winery Cabernet Sauvignon. Do a little dance. Get down that night. Get down that night. Might or might not meet up with what's left of the Bay Area Beach Boys contingent. Will definitely meet up with 'Hey Jude' even if I have to forcibly corner him in stall #2 of the Men's Room to convince him that the C50 is indeed over and there's no chance of it happening again, even though he's still obsessed with it and posts about it and band politics incessantly on every thread concerning the subject matter on the Smiley Smile board.

Grin

I'm definitely going to try to be there! I've missed Brian's last couple of gigs at the Winery. Haven't seen him at that venue since the epic "Brian was lying down on stage because he ate a bad burrito" gig in '07 with Al. I've only been to the Winery once since they revamped the place. Was not a fan of the remodel. Nicer and fancier looking for sure, but the concert area seems less intimate now. Now it's kind of just like a mini-Shoreline/Concord sort of thing. I would assume they still haven't sorted the parking out there. Saw Ringo in 2008 (I think that's the most recent Ringo gig I've been to as well), and it was the worst after-show parking lot situation I've ever seen at a concert.

Saw Blondie with them on the "BAD" tour in Oakland, so even without Dave, this should be an awesome gig. Hoping they'll work Blondie into the show beyond "Sail on Sailor" and "Wild Honey" (though those two were awesome in Oakland). Perhaps "Funky Pretty" finally? (I'm not even *super* into that song; but something different like that would be cool).

And.....wait.... this gig isn't going to be a "C50" gig? Wtf?

Seriously, though, if that ever happened, can we trade Bruce in for Blondie if only five are allowed on stage? Don't get me wrong, I would want to hear "Disney Girls" too, but maybe they could play along to a video of Bruce singing the song, you know, as a tribute?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2015, 06:43:20 AM »

So good to see Blondie again with Brian and Al! I wonder if he'll play all (or most) of the show like Al or is featured again just for a couple of songs plus the encore.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2015, 07:09:57 AM »

So good to see Blondie again with Brian and Al! I wonder if he'll play all (or most) of the show like Al or is featured again just for a couple of songs plus the encore.

It will be interesting to see. I figure, from the “best bang for your buck” point of view, if you’re paying for a guy to be in your band, might as well have him up there for the whole show. I don’t know how much Blondie would figure into early-mid 60s material (obviously he touched on that material back in the 70s with the BB’s), but I’m hoping that between having Blondie there and having new album stuff to play, the setlist might go a bit lighter on early era hits. I’d rather hear something from a later era than “Dance Dance Dance” or “Do You Wanna Dance.”

I kind of liked what they did at previous shows where they just tossed in one or two car songs and had Al sing them, like “Little Deuce Coupe.”

And seriously, let’s finally dispense with “Barbara Ann”, especially if the show is still going to end with “Surfin’ USA” and  “Fun Fun Fun.”

Hoping they add in “Lookin’ at Tomorrow” for this tour; it looks like it was on the PBS/Vegas setlist from December at one point but didn’t quite make the cut. And if anybody from the band is reading this, how about “Santa Ana Winds” finally? It’s technically an Al/Brian co-write too!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2015, 08:22:31 AM »

Who here is going to the Philly show on 6/29? I certainly am. Mann Center is a great venue for Brian and company.
I'll be attending. It's been awhile since I attended a show at the Mann. Last show may have been Brian in the early to mid-aughts.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2015, 11:41:22 AM »

JUNE
30    Wantagh, NY – Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

I'm all over that one.
Hey, is Al Jardine really going to be there?   Smiley

Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2015, 12:05:59 PM »

I'm going to a show for sure - I'm a huge BW fan (obviously - saw the Smile show in London in 2004) and both my wife and I love the Sugerman! My wife wanted to see him last year and we missed him.

I'm thinking Chicago, Detriot or Nashville!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »

LOL Took me a while to get that one. Jones Beach FTW!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2015, 12:08:54 PM »

JUNE

I'm all over that one.

I think it'll be his hologram that plays nothing but Sloop John B
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »

It’ll be interesting to see as well whether “Ike” will be back to do the falsetto parts, or if Matt Jardine might re-appear once again. Matt was at the December Vegas show *as well* as Ike. Matt is on the new album, so that’s another reason it would be cool to see him. Still my favorite live BB falsetto guy. Would love to hear him do the higher parts on some of the deep cuts Brian has done in the past.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »

JUNE

I'm all over that one.

For that matter, the last time Al was *with* Brian in Saratoga, CA was the 2007 show where Brian decided to take a nap on the floor in the middle of the show. Hopefully *that* won’t happen again. They’ve extensively remodeled the place since then, so hopefully Brian just won’t remember it’s the same venue.

As for the possibility of Al or anybody missing any shows, I’m sure that’s one of many reasons the tickets will continue to say “Brian Wilson” alone. Hopefully Brian and Al won’t be bugged on this tour about using the “Beach Boys” name in advertisements.

I’m also surprised, considering Dave doing the UK gigs with Mike, that we haven’t already seen a headline somewhere about this summer along the lines of “Six Beach Boys Fanning out this Summer Across Two Competing Bands.”

Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »

I am wondering , too, if "Ike" will be singing the tops? He(Brian Eichenberger) has left The Four Freshmen.....so might be more available to tour
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »

I am wondering , too, if "Ike" will be singing the tops? He(Brian Eichenberger) has left The Four Freshmen.....so might be more available to tour

Interesting. I hadn’t really followed the Four Freshmen lineups of late. I looked them up a bit once Ike started playing with Brian. It looks like he just left the band in the last month or two. He’s not shown on their website at all anymore. I see a bunch of blurbs announcing a new guy, but nothing about Ike exiting.

I don’t know if this would be a stronger indicator that he’ll appear with Brian. I would assume he wouldn’t leave one band just to do 17 gigs with Brian. I’ve only heard YouTube clips of him with Brian’s band, but he sounds good. Ike and Matt were both in Vegas, so I say bring them both out on the road this summer!

I want to hear all those voices and instruments on stage “competing for parts”! Let’s kick out the jams.

Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2015, 01:10:26 PM »

Yes, Matt and Ike......good way forward !!!
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2015, 01:18:20 PM »

It's settled!  I'll be seeing the great Brian Wilson and Al Jardine (and Blondie) for the first time on June 24 in Dallas (Grand Prairie, actually).  Mentally making plans as my fingers peck out this post.

Don't suppose there's any chance that David might join them?
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2015, 01:20:42 PM »

I'm thrilled that Brian is coming to NY's Jones Beach, and I'll move heaven and earth to be there that night.

That said, it seems like an ambitious venue to be playing. I hope attendance isn't too spotty.

Similar concerns about Rodriguez as a support act... it's a cool pairing, and I'm very pleased to have the chance to see him. But being honest, I would think his 'base' and the typical Jones Beach crowd would have very little overlap, as opposed to more oldie-friendly acts like The Lovin' Spoonful and The Rascals that appeared there with Mike's BBs last year.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »

I think having Al and Blondie will at least bring out some Brian fans that might have started skipping Brian shows here and there in more recent years. The last time I had seen Brian pre-C50 was in 2007 I think. But I went back in 2013 for “BAD”, and I’ll do my best to make this new tour with Al and Blondie. (“BAB?”).

I have to be honest that I’d probably give it at least a second a thought about whether to go if Al and Blondie were not on the tour. Not because Brian shows aren’t up to par (if anything, this year’s setlist might be more interesting; not even counting potential Al and Blondie songs), but simply because I have to be rather motivated these days to make it out to these concerts. But it’s been so rare to see Al (not to mention Al *with* Brian, to say nothing of seeing Blondie in any BB-related configuration), I’m more motivated. I was lucky enough to see Al with Brian twice in 2007 (first on the PS tour, then a “regular” show), and I of course saw them in 2013 as well. So I guess I’d have go back to 2005 as far as the last time I saw Brian *without* Al!

I actually probably would snag ticket to a Mike/Bruce show that had Al there. He really is *that* integral to a BB-related show at this stage, given the quality of his voice. I still can’t believe he hasn’t been able to put together some sort of solo tour, small venues on an actual “tour” rather than random fairs with the “Endless Summer Band” doing the hits.

barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »

Hey.....anyone going to the Seattle show in July ?    I will say though, doing a CA. wine trip and catching the show at the winery maybe be a lot of fun.  Especially just to watch Mikie and HeyJude bitch at each other !!! 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2015, 02:35:27 PM »

I think having Al and Blondie will at least bring out some Brian fans that might have started skipping Brian shows here and there in more recent years. The last time I had seen Brian pre-C50 was in 2007 I think. But I went back in 2013 for “BAD”, and I’ll do my best to make this new tour with Al and Blondie. (“BAB?”).

I have to be honest that I’d probably give it at least a second a thought about whether to go if Al and Blondie were not on the tour. Not because Brian shows aren’t up to par (if anything, this year’s setlist might be more interesting; not even counting potential Al and Blondie songs), but simply because I have to be rather motivated these days to make it out to these concerts. But it’s been so rare to see Al (not to mention Al *with* Brian, to say nothing of seeing Blondie in any BB-related configuration), I’m more motivated. I was lucky enough to see Al with Brian twice in 2007 (first on the PS tour, then a “regular” show), and I of course saw them in 2013 as well. So I guess I’d have go back to 2005 as far as the last time I saw Brian *without* Al!

I actually probably would snag ticket to a Mike/Bruce show that had Al there. He really is *that* integral to a BB-related show at this stage, given the quality of his voice. I still can’t believe he hasn’t been able to put together some sort of solo tour, small venues on an actual “tour” rather than random fairs with the “Endless Summer Band” doing the hits.

Agreed, Al rules! Was nothing short of amazing to see him do his original lead parts on "I Know There's an Answer" last year at The Greek. He makes it LEGIT.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:36:18 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »

I think having Al and Blondie will at least bring out some Brian fans that might have started skipping Brian shows here and there in more recent years.
Do you think so, HeyJude? I like Al and Blondie a lot, but unfortunately I'd be quite surprised if even within a base of Brian fans, let alone a casual/greatest-hits crowd, there would be a sizable chunk that would know who they are.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »

It's settled!  I'll be seeing the great Brian Wilson and Al Jardine (and Blondie) for the first time on June 24 in Dallas (Grand Prairie, actually).  Mentally making plans as my fingers peck out this post.

Don't suppose there's any chance that David might join them?

Not certain what shows/dates David will be doing other than the UK ones, but since he lives in New York area, isn't it possible he might drop in for shows around there?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »

I think having Al and Blondie will at least bring out some Brian fans that might have started skipping Brian shows here and there in more recent years.
Do you think so, HeyJude? I like Al and Blondie a lot, but unfortunately I'd be quite surprised if even within a base of Brian fans, let alone a casual/greatest-hits crowd, there would be a sizable chunk that would know who they are.

I think a good hunk of folks at BW shows I've been to are "into" Brian enough to know who Al Jardine is especially, and to some degree Blondie as well.

I don't think there's some huge group of Al/Blondie fans waiting for them to appear to buy Brian tickets. But there may be some big Brian fans who need extra motivation to see Brian after having seen him numerous times since 1999.

But I think, whether it was by design or not, they've built up a decent amount of demand in that Brian has been touring heavily in several years. So there wouldn't be stuff like the 2007 or 08 Oakland gig where tickets went on sale mere weeks before the show and Brian had already played the market several times within the previous year.

But Jones Beach is, I would guess, one of the bigger venues on this tour. Places like the Mountain Winery in Saratoga hold a few thousand at the most.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2015, 03:27:38 PM »

Agreed, Al rules! Was nothing short of amazing to see him do his original lead parts on "I Know There's an Answer" last year at The Greek. He makes it LEGIT.

Yeah, the only drawback to the 06/07 shows with Al is that they didn't feature him that heavily in terms of lead vocals. I think more recent shows have featured him a bit more.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2015, 06:55:46 AM »

For that matter, the last time Al was *with* Brian in Saratoga, CA was the 2007 show where Brian decided to take a nap on the floor in the middle of the show. Hopefully *that* won’t happen again. They’ve extensively remodeled the place since then, so hopefully Brian just won’t remember it’s the same venue.

Different circumstances this time around. Hopefully.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »

Thank heavens Jeff Beck is not involved. I wish I were, rather, a Physics professor and I could escape into a parallel universe where that execrable marriage had never happened.

There are 2 Brian-Al-Dave songs on the new album, and I would not likely go to the shows unless all three were together performing them. That's not too likely to occur here in LA. And I wonder which of those hipster duets will be performed by the visiting artists.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx